TK787
Topic Author

TK To Start Mosul, 6th Destination In Iraq

Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:41 am

http://www.turkishairlines.com/en-IN...8968/mosul---iraq-flights-osm.aspx
TK to start 4 x weekly Mosul flights in October, its 6th destination in Iraq. (besides Baghdad, Basra, Erbil, Najaf and Sulaymaniyah)

leftyboarder

RE: TK To Start Mosul, 6th Destination In Iraq

Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:22 pm

TK is definitely trying to beat the likes of EK and EY by expanding into secondary markets all over the region (I leave QR out as they have the narrowbodies to match TK eventually). They grew astronomically in Spain, Italy, Iraq, Iran, the Balkans, the Ukraine and Russia in the past few years. I think their only major gaps in short haul are secondary ports in the UK, Poland and France (where they have also added TLS recently).

lightsaber
Crew

Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:53 pm

6th destination in Iraq?!? Wow. Talk about a nice expansion...

Quoting leftyboarder (Reply 1):
TK is definitely trying to beat the likes of EK and EY by expanding into secondary markets all over the region

IMHO a wise strategy. Hubs are going to thrive on the connections where there is demand, but not enough demand to hub-bypass.  

Lightsaber
"They did not know it was impossible, so they did it!" - Mark Twain

SR4ever

Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:31 am

Any chance that TK soon flies to SSH?

directorguy

Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:47 am

Quoting lightsaber (Reply 2):
IMHO a wise strategy. Hubs are going to thrive on the connections where there is demand, but not enough demand to hub-bypass.

Exactly. And that's exactly where TK may succeed (long-term) as opposed to EK/EY. EK/EY thrive on connections to India/China, which will over the years have more nonstops to Europe, Africa, North America etc. TK however is relying on markets like Baku, Sofia and Aleppo which are far too small to ever (realistically) sustain nonstop service to North America, for example. The time may come, however, for a citypair like BLR-ORD to have viable nonstop service.

Quoting SR4EVER (Reply 3):

Any chance that TK soon flies to SSH?

Unlikely. SSH is a primarily leisure-driven holiday market that is the domain of cheap pre-sold-by-the-bulk charter-type airlines. However, growth in Egypt has been exponential in recent years. TK/MS now have 4 daily flights between them on CAI-IST when perhaps both sides didn't fly that route daily a few years ago. I think TK might add LXR soon though. Turkish investors have been increasing their presence in Egypt twofold and eventually the number of economic interests all over Egypt will warrant more flights. Just a few days ago Erdogan visit Cairo with no less than 200 hundred Turkish businessmen in tow.

leftyboarder

Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:39 am

I think Asmara and Juba will come before Luxor, but one might never know. In any case, TK's growth has been phenomenal these past few years.

tcm

Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:56 am

My undersranding is that the planned African expansion by TK is also based on secondary markets. BTW, AFAIK, TK has also one of the best network coverage in Russia as well.

Thenoflyzone

Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:38 pm

All of this is fine and dandy, too bad however that IST is a mess of a hub.

Thenoflyzone
us Air Traffic Controllers have a good record, we haven't left one up there yet !!