TPADave
Topic Author

New TPA-ZRH Service!

Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:47 pm

Finally some progress on the int'l front at TPA! First the Cuba flights, now a ZRH flight 2x weekly from Edelweiss. I must admit ths was not the first route that I would have thought of, but hey I'll take it! I believe Edelweiss already operates out of MCO, will this be in addition or will they discontinue the MCO route? Can't wait to see it in person!

http://www.tampabay.com/news/business/tourism/article1191683.ece

DALelite

RE: New TPA-ZRH Service!

Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:51 pm

Great News... And good luck to Edelweiss Air.

DALelite
They loved to fly and it showed..

mptpa

Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:02 pm

Totally unexpected, but welcomed nevertheless. I wish it was a carrier within an alliance like * or SkyTeam. Hey, beggars can't be choosers, I suppose.

Good luck to Edelweis!!

BRJ

Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:13 pm

"...the first-ever nonstop service between Tampa and a major European air hub, Lopano said."

BA and Gatwick not considered a major European air hub?

TPADave
Topic Author

Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:37 pm

Quoting BRJ (Reply 3):
"...the first-ever nonstop service between Tampa and a major European air hub, Lopano said."

I noticed that too...strange huh? I was also thinking about Condor and their flights to FRA a while back. While it wan't on LH, it does count as a flight to a major European hub. I guess he's trying to pump up the announcement as best he can.

MontanaFL

Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:51 pm

Looking at the Edelweiss website it appears they fly to Tampa only. In fact Tampa is the ONLY city to be served in the US by Edelweiss.
I miss those DL L-1011's

avi8

Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:36 pm

Does this airline have code share with Swiss Air? can Passengers make connections with Swiss aiir?
avi8

Type-Rated

Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:44 pm

Quoting BRJ (Reply 3):

The sentence states "a major" European hub, not "THE major European hub". Using "a" indicates it could be one of many different hubs like LHR, FRA, CDG, etc.
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

kl911

Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:54 pm

Wow, totally unexpected route.

And that for a small European country with not that many citizens. I guess Edelweiss is a charter airline, thus not having any feeder flights? I have no clue how they think to fill it twice a week, but good luck to them.

aviationmaster

Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:55 pm

Edelweiss Air had seasonal flights to MCO this summer and also used to fly to SFB and MIA a while back.

Quoting avi8 (Reply 6):

Does this airline have code share with Swiss Air? can Passengers make connections with Swiss aiir?

Since Edelweiss Air is a sister company of SWISS, all their flights are operated in cooperation with them. While this flight is basically a scheduled charter flight, passengers can also make connections when booked on LX's allotment.

ikramerica

Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:58 pm

Quoting type-rated (Reply 7):
The sentence states "a major" European hub, not "THE major European hub". Using "a" indicates it could be one of many different hubs like LHR, FRA, CDG, etc.

First-ever?

Anyway, some do not consider England part of Europe, but a group of islands in the sea.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

Dazed767

Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:25 pm

Hopefully it doesn't arrive at night like it did at MCO.

Curious how this will create 265 jobs in Tampa...

MHTripple7

Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:30 pm

Nice! Finally TPA has another transatlantic flight. Like many new routes into TPA, I do worry about its success. Hopefully it works out.

BRJ

Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:40 pm

Quoting ikramerica (Reply 10):
Quoting type-rated (Reply 7):The sentence states "a major" European hub, not "THE major European hub". Using "a" indicates it could be one of many different hubs like LHR, FRA, CDG, etc.

First-ever?

Anyway, some do not consider England part of Europe, but a group of islands in the sea.

lol nice.

but that's the point I was trying to make. It's hardly the first-ever, but symantics will let you get away with just about anything.

nevertheless, always good to see new routes being added to any city! I would think this will work well with cruise traffic out of TPA.

jr

Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:32 pm

Quoting MontanaFL (Reply 5):
Looking at the Edelweiss website it appears they fly to Tampa only. In fact Tampa is the ONLY city to be served in the US by Edelweiss.

When does/did their once-a-week summer flight to ANC end? Will that be back next year?
I've flown on 9V-SPK.

MAH4546

Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:12 pm

Quoting TPADave (Thread starter):
I believe Edelweiss already operates out of MCO, will this be in addition or will they discontinue the MCO route?

The MCO service was a short, one-season only service using a plane that would of otherwise gone to Tokyo.
a.

ikramerica

Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:17 pm

Or should I say Great Britain, as England is but one island (effectively).
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

727LOVER

Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:22 pm

Quoting BRJ (Reply 3):
Quoting TPADave (Reply 4):
I was also thinking about Condor and their flights to FRA a while back. While it wan't on LH, it does count as a flight to a major European hub.
Quoting type-rated (Reply 7):
TPA's first nonstop to a major European hub would have been with National in the late '70s.. Granted, I'm fuzzy on whether it was FRA, ZUR or AMS.

Anyhoo, great news.

Edit to add: This will have premium seating? Interesting.

[Edited 2011-09-15 14:33:53]
I feel woozy....what did you put in that Pudding Pop?

NASCARAirforce

Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:53 pm

Quoting TPADave (Thread starter):
Finally some progress on the int'l front at TPA! First the Cuba flights, now a ZRH flight 2x weekly from Edelweiss. I must admit ths was not the first route that I would have thought of, but hey I'll take it! I believe Edelweiss already operates out of MCO, will this be in addition or will they discontinue the MCO route? Can't wait to see it in person!

Edelweiss last flight to MCO was 2 Saturdays ago. As someone else mentioned it was originally supposed to fly to NRT, but due to the earthquake in Japan they flew this summer to MCO. The loads were decent out of MCO.

Anyone know the days and times yet?

FSDan

Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:14 am

Quoting ikramerica (Reply 16):

Great Britain is still technically just the one major island. If you said "The UK" it would include Northern Ireland.  
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

Viscount724

Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:37 am

Quoting 727LOVER (Reply 17):
TPA's first nonstop to a major European hub would have been with National in the late '70s.. Granted, I'm fuzzy on whether it was FRA, ZRH or AMS.

National had 2 DC-10s a week TPA-AMS-FRA in their May 1, 1979 timetable.

TPADave
Topic Author

Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:01 am

Quoting NASCARAirforce (Reply 18):
Anyone know the days and times yet?

According to the Edelweiss website, Tuesday and Friday beginning 5/25/12. It will go down to 1x weekly for the winter.
Equipment is their brand new A333
TUE
WK 5 Dp:TPA 7:30pm
Ar: ZRH 10:45am

WK 4 Dp: ZRH 1:20pm
Ar: TPA 5:40pm

FRI
WK 5 Dp: TPA 6:45pm
Ar: ZRH 10:00am

WK 4 Dp: ZRH 12:45pm
Ar: TPA 5:05pm

billreid

Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:07 am

TPA also had MP, obviously AMS is not a major hub being only three times the size of TPA and having 17 times as many airlines! And yes London is in Canada. And FRA is in South America. Joe shoots from the hip with his loose cannon mouth.

ZRH on a charter is a huge tactical mistake with Looppie Loopano trying to save his neck with token service!

This kills any chance for FRA service going forward because going after that would kill the Edelweiss service that is highly dependent upon German demand. You don't ask one airline in and get another immediately afterwards to kill it. What is the reaction of BA. They never got 500K for single day ops, maybe Loopie should give them $3,500,000 marketing or they are going to be very pissed.

How does MCO feel about TPA first taking two BA rotations last spring and now the Edelweiss? Be careful for what you wish for, wouldn't be surprised to see BA leave if a price war erupts. Edelweiss only has four acft so if BA gets pissed then there is not enough capacity to adjust.........

Remember MP failed at TPA.
Remember DE failed at TPA.
BA was on the ropes without the AA alliance. Where does this leave BA, will they move to reduce fares to the EU with conx on AB?

Further will DL, UA, AA, US not adjust fares with daily hub flow? If so the once a week service with twice in peek is doomed!

If TPA wants to be a real International Airport it needs LH, KL, AF, not once weekly charters!
Some people don't get it. Business is about making MONEY!

Jonathanxxxx

Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:19 am

Quoting billreid (Reply 22):
If TPA wants to be a real International Airport it needs LH, KL, AF, not once weekly charters!

MCO NOW only has two of those, FLL has NONE, And a ton of other airports dont have those caeeiers but they are true international airports. Look at FLL, look how much international passengers they carry and they only have Condor 3X weekly. MCO also only recently got AF and somewhat LH. Yet were they not an international airport before? I think your definition here is a bit messed up.. TPA IS a true international airport because it has international flights to LGW, ZRH, HAV (albeit charter), Canada and a few Caribbean destinations. Seems international to me.

TPADave
Topic Author

Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:37 am

ZRH on a charter is a huge tactical mistake with Looppie Loopano trying to save his neck with token service

Why the personal attack on Lopano and overall negativity? His job is to bring in new service. So far so good. Like I and others have said, AF or LH would be great but it is what it is. At the end of the day its up to individual carriers to take the risk so I wouldn't call Lopano the one with his neck out.

This kills any chance for FRA service going forward because going after that would kill the Edelweiss service that is highly dependent upon German demand. You don't ask one airline in and get another immediately afterwards to kill it. What is the reaction of BA. They never got 500K for single day ops, maybe Loopie should give them $3,500,000 marketing or they are going to be very pissed.

That isn't necessarily true. LH serves a more business focused clientele, while Edelweiss is leisure driven. Coupled with the fact they have two separate route structures I think they could complement each other. Who knows, maybe if this service is successful enough it will push LH to launch a service of its own with more frequency and the Edelweiss service will be dropped. I'd consider that a win-win for both TPA and LH. As far as BA goes, that thought did cross my mind too. Guess we'll have to keep watching.

How does MCO feel about TPA first taking two BA rotations last spring and now the Edelweiss? Be careful for what you wish for, wouldn't be surprised to see BA leave if a price war erupts. Edelweiss only has four acft so if BA gets pissed then there is not enough capacity to adjust.........

What does TPA care what MCO thinks?! BA already serves both cities with 777 service and has done so for years. I don't think TPA is in danger of losing it over a 2x weekly charter carrier that barely competes for the same customer base.

I'm sure Joe would appreciate the insight!

727LOVER

Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:13 am

Quoting TPADave (Reply 24):

Because he is an SRQ fan, as am I, and he hates TPA.

Times look great!! Why did the MCO flight operate so lste?

Quoting jonathanxxxx (Reply 23):

WHY exactly would those carriers serve FLL?

flymia

Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:31 am

Quoting 727LOVER (Reply 25):
WHY exactly would those carriers serve FLL?

They would not with MIA 20miles south. But he does have a point. FLL is the 14th largest international gateways yet does not have a major European airline. FLL has more international passengers than MCO. But IMO if the airport is not in the top 20 list for international passengers in the US it is not really a true "gateway". It is a true international airport though of course. Good news for TPA.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

TPADave
Topic Author

Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:33 am

Ah, now it becomes clear haha. That's too bad cause I really like SRQ and think the airports complement each other rather than compete directly on the level of TPA and MCO.

The flight times mean the BA 777 and WK 333 will be on the ground at the same time. Is F already set for this or will mods be more intensive?

LONGisland89

Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:45 am

Edelweiss service that is highly dependent upon German demand.

Are you smoking crack?! Last time I checked Zurich is in Switzerland. What makes you think this service depends on German demand? That's like saying AA's JFK-LHR service is dependent on Irish demand.

LONGisland89

Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:02 am

Why did the MCO flight operate so lste?

Since Edelweiss only has two A330s they are slightly confined to when they can schedule long-haul flights. The MCO flight was operated by the A332 that arrived in ZRH from Calgary/Anchorage which happened to be later in the day.

727LOVER

Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:48 am

Quoting TPADave (Reply 27):

Although I sort of understand, Im not the biggest RSW fan, ha ha.
Are you referring to aircraft space or customs, because I KNOW two widebodies can fit in there together.

Quoting LONGisland89 (Reply 29):

Ah, OK, thanx for that explanation. This will be with NEW A333, right?

srqmuc

Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:58 am

Damn it! It's a step in the right direction but I'd prefer MUC over ZRH, SRQ over TPA and LH/UA/etc. over WK!
Anyways, good luck to Edelweiß!!

ual757

Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:35 am

As long as it doesn't clog up the security lines and empty concourses when I'm flying out of there, then a nice addition  

PhilInBRN

Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:57 am

This service could be quite succesful given the pretty big Swiss community in the Tampa-Sarasota-Fort Myers area. And the Germans in the area might use this route as well as they have some good connections in ZRH to about ten German destinations.

SASMD82

Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:14 am

Great Britain or United Kingdom include England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. And don't forget the Channel Islands as well as the Isle of Man.

ASA

Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:31 am

Quoting SASMD82 (Reply 34):
Great Britain or United Kingdom include England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. And don't forget the Channel Islands as well as the Isle of Man.

I had the idea that the territories you described there together form the United Kingdom only. Great Britain, on the other hand, is the just the BIG island ... with England, Scotland, and Wales.

So if I understood it correctly, 'Great Britain' and 'United Kingdom' are not necessarily exchangeable terms. However, all these are fodder for some other history/geography buffs' forum.

NASCARAirforce

Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:57 pm

And yes London is in Canada

Yes Ontario CYXU

Quoting LONGisland89 (Reply 28):
Are you smoking crack?! Last time I checked Zurich is in Switzerland. What makes you think this service depends on German demand?

They partner with Lufthansa. When they checked in counters at MCO, they used the DLH codes to check in.

A good portion of Air France passengers at MCO come from Netherlands. A big part of the reason that Martinair stopped flying to MCO (other than the fact it is going all cargo) was that Air France was going to be starting flights to MCO

TPADave
Topic Author

Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:29 pm

Quoting 727LOVER (Reply 30):
Are you referring to aircraft space or customs, because I KNOW two widebodies can fit in there together.

Oh clearly more than 2 widebodies can fit on F at once simply on the basis of space. But I was wondering both about customs but also taking up US/AA gates that may be needed as aircraft come in and RON. I believe they will take up several gates with the wingspan

727LOVER

Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:56 pm

Ahhhhh.....yes, but remember, they can use the ex-UA gates at E for RON and besides, arent these intl departures gone before 8?

LONGisland89

Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:18 pm

Quoting NASCARAirforce (Reply 36):
They partner with Lufthansa. When they checked in counters at MCO, they used the DLH codes to check in.

Yes, I am aware that they partner with Lufthansa as well as SWISS but to say the route is dependent on German demand is bogus. Of course there will be some German demand with connections in ZRH, along with Austrian demand, Russian demand, Finish demand etc. The fact of the matter is, the route is dependent on Swiss demand, flown by a Swiss scheduled charter airline and marketed to Swiss people.

PITrules

Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:15 pm

TPA's first nonstop to a major European hub would have been with National in the late '70s.. Granted, I'm fuzzy on whether it was FRA, ZUR or AMS.
Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 20):

Looks like they had nonstops to AMS, ORY, and FRA all at the same time:

http://www.departedflights.com/NA050179.html

Quoting FSDan (Reply 19):
Great Britain is still technically just the one major island. If you said "The UK" it would include Northern Ireland.
And yes London is in Canada.
Quoting SASMD82 (Reply 34):
Quoting ASA (Reply 35):
I had the idea that the territories you described there together form the United Kingdom only. Great Britain, on the other hand, is the just the BIG island ... with England, Scotland, and Wales.

So if I understood it correctly, 'Great Britain' and 'United Kingdom' are not necessarily exchangeable terms.

This should clear things up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNu8XDBSn10
FLYi

TVNWZ

Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:26 pm

How does MCO feel about TPA first taking two BA rotations last spring and now the Edelweiss?

Actually, more like what SFB feels.

I always thought there was a business in attracting the charters from SFB to TPA. It really is not that much longer to Disney, you don't get robbed paying outlandish tolls on the 417 and you can sell the Gulf Beaches and Busch Gardens.

Viscount724

Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:28 pm

Quoting PITrules (Reply 40):
Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 20):

Looks like they had nonstops to AMS, ORY, and FRA all at the same time:

http://www.departedflights.com/NA050....html

No, if you check the timetable it was only TPA-AMS, continuing to FRA.

AZA330

Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:49 pm

Nice news for TPA.

I was wondering if this new service could bother BA's TPA-Europe "monopoly" in any way. I think BA still offers a better service in the premium cabin (plus WT+), but on this route it is probably easier to fill the back of the plane than the front..

aviationmaster

Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:03 pm

Quoting NASCARAirforce (Reply 36):

The ground handling was done by LH. Edelweiss Air flights do not carry the LH code; they are usually in cooperation with LX, their sister airline.

Quoting AZA330 (Reply 43):
Nice news for TPA.

I was wondering if this new service could bother BA's TPA-Europe "monopoly" in any way. I think BA still offers a better service in the premium cabin (plus WT+), but on this route it is probably easier to fill the back of the plane than the front..

This service is not intended to compete with BA's flight in any way and I doubt it will harm their loads. It is simply a twice weekly flight flown by a Swiss charter carrier.

billreid

Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:50 pm

Damn straight, Any airport that suggests staff all need to fly in First on trips over two hours are out of touch elite-ists, when we are all facing a double-dip recession!
When Loopie told the press that Tampa was Florida's, largest city and has a larger business base than Dallas Ft. Worth he should have been sent in for a drug analysis. He claims a catchment of 7.2 Million in his ads. His catchment includes all of Orlando. Go figure! At least its really funny.
He has spent an unsustainable $3.8 million on marketing so far. This includes $1.4mm on consultant contracts. He hired a VP of marketing after publicly firing the previous staffer. And he gave his DFW marketing hand-holder a salary of over $170K because the previous person at $95K wasn't his prefered hand holder.
They also just posted the position for Director ASDM, at another $115K.
I heard today that their staff in marketing alone now exceeds 20! So if you add staff costs and marketing costs you get close to $6 Million. Great. Good spend Tampa, money well spent.

If you want to read some interesting stuff. Check out the $14,000 airplane ticket Loopie bought from DFW to China.
What a great sense of entitlement! Business wasn't good enough for him he had to go international 1st!

He should be working in the White House because spending the public money so recklessly is dreadfully wrong.

Its really him that I love to hate. He represents everything wrong in America!

Quoting LONGisland89 (Reply 28):
Are you smoking crack?! Last time I checked Zurich is in Switzerland. What makes you think this service depends on German demand? That's like saying AA's JFK-LHR service is dependent on Irish demand.

OK you are right. T100 data shows 10.7 pdew TPA-ZRH. They need no feed, that way they can fly twice weekly and put 35 pax onboard assuming 100% capture.
But lets put it differently,
ZRH-MCO didn't apparently work 'cause if it did, they would have stayed in MCO. OK the PDEW was only double at MCO. But as it is a monopoly they only need 1,111% stimulation if they take 50% of O&D and 25% of conx.
Anyone who remotely thinks this can survive on O&D needs to read Aviation 101.
BTW Greater ZRH has only 2 million population, and the city proper is well below that.

Its dead on arrival.
Some people don't get it. Business is about making MONEY!

TPADave
Topic Author

Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:45 am

Quoting billreid (Reply 45):
Any airport that suggests staff all need to fly in First on trips over two hours are out of touch

I completely agree with you on that point.

When Loopie told the press that Tampa was Florida's, largest city and has a larger business base than Dallas Ft. Worth he should have been sent in for a drug analysis

While Joe has said some stupid things, I don't remember seeing that in the press. Any quote available cause I have a hard time believing that one.

He should be working in the White House because spending the public money so recklessly is dreadfully wrong

Leave the politics out of it instead of reciting GOP talking points.

Its really him that I love to hate. He represents everything wrong in America

Wow did he steal your wife and run over your puppy?

727LOVER

Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:24 am

Interestingly, I was telling a friend that LTU used to operate L10s in here but he doesnt believe me. Can someone confirm that? I have a pic somewhere.

LONGisland89

Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:31 am

OK you are right. T100 data shows 10.7 pdew TPA-ZRH. They need no feed, that way they can fly twice weekly and put 35 pax onboard assuming 100% capture.

Your sarcasm really shows your ignorance. I don't care what "data" you can amass, WK's business model is not dependent upon connections.

ZRH-MCO didn't apparently work 'cause if it did, they would have stayed in MCO.

My source at Edelweiss says otherwise. I'm told the MCO route was profitable but TPA was chosen due to the larger Swiss population in the Bay area and higher yields.

Anyone who remotely thinks this can survive on O&D needs to read Aviation 101.

Maybe you should send the CEO, Karl Kistler, an email and tell him to read Aviation 101 (karl.kistler@edelweissair.ch). Anyone who remotely thinks WK's operations exists only because of connections needs to read Aviation 101.

Your fairy tale notion of German demand supporting this route is very misinformed. As I wrote earlier: Of course there will be some German demand with connections in ZRH, along with Austrian demand, Russian demand, Finish demand etc. The fact of the matter is, the route is dependent on Swiss demand, flown by a Swiss scheduled charter airline and marketed to Swiss people.

[Edited 2011-09-16 18:33:49]

aviationmaster

Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:34 am

ZRH-MCO didn't apparently work 'cause if it did, they would have stayed in MCO.

The only reason why WK flew to MCO this summer was due to the NRT flight getting canned after the earthquake ealier this year.

TPA or MCO, I doubt WK would return to the Florida market if this summer's MCO flights had been such a failure.

BTW Greater ZRH has only 2 million population, and the city proper is well below that.

That may be correct, but one important fact that you left out is that WK flights ex ZRH usually carry pax from ALL areas of Switzerland and not just the greater ZRH area.

Quoting LONGisland89 (Reply 48):
The fact of the matter is, the route is dependent on Swiss demand, flown by a Swiss scheduled charter airline and marketed to Swiss people.