ordbosewr

GAO Contradicts DOT On 3-hr Rule

Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:57 pm

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-0...llations-more-likely-gao-says.html

Well, it was only a matter of time before someone published something that said the 3-hr rule was increasing cancellation rates. To me it is surprising that it was another body of the government (all be quasi-gov).

I love the quote from Kate Hanni. You can't disagree with facts my friend. You may not like them but they are what they are.

The DOT is trying to stand firm, that the rule is not increasing cancellations which I find funny and I am not sure why they would take such a hard line on this POV. It may increase rates but it helps the greater good would be my message. This hard line stance is what I find most amazing.

I do not fall into the group that sides with her. I want to get to my destination all be it later than I had hoped or planned.

thoughts? experiences?

enilria

RE: GAO Contradicts DOT On 3-hr Rule

Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:09 pm

I agree that the DOT should admit the consequences. Of course, cancels are bad in that the capacity to carry passengers disappears whereas a delay just disrupts connections. These long delays are mostly weather driven anyway, so the effect on connections either way is minimal since things are already FUBAR.

commavia

Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:16 pm

I don't know why this conclusion would be at all controversial - this is a simple, straightforward case of incentives.

After the DoT put regulations in place leading to potentially severe financial penalties for airlines to lengthily delay flights, it's sort of obvious that airlines are heavily incentivized to severely curtail delaying flights and instead cancel them if they think there is a reasonable chance they could get into a 3+ hour delay situation.

runner13

Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:39 pm

I was commenting on this topic a while back and said that there would be many more cancellations. I for one would rather get to my destination late then have my flight cancel. I'm sure the cancellation would be due to wx or ATC so the airline will give you nothing for the delay.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos