emseeeye

Foreign Dignitary Callsign Question

Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:28 pm

Sorry for the title, I wasn't sure how to word it. In the U.S for the President and VP we use the call signs Air Force 1, Air Force 2, Army1, Army 2 etc, etc..

Are there any other countries who use specialized call signs for heads of state or other dignitaries?

F9Fan

RE: Foreign Dignitary Callsign Question

Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:51 am

I've noticed a lot of heads of state will use the livery of their respective nation's national carrier (e.g. BA for U.K. PM David Cameron). Tony Blair even flew commercial when he went on vacation to MIA while he was still P.M..

Soxfan

RE: Foreign Dignitary Callsign Question

Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:53 am

I'm not sure if this answers your question, but I've heard the callsign "Amiri" used to refer to Qatar Amiri Flight, which according to wikipedia caters "exclusively to the royal family of Qatar and other VIP government staff" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qatar_Amiri_Flight).
Pilot: "Request push, which way should we face?" JFK Ground: "You better face the front, sir, or you'll scare the pax!"