airevents
Topic Author

Ghana Domestic Airlines - Status Quo?

Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:18 am

Good day,

going to Accra for three days in a few weeks, I am looking for information about the current domestic flying situation. Anybody knows what airlines are currently flying domestically? Has Starbow already taken off? Africa World is still in the making? Who else?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Sebastian
www.airevents.com

MYT332

RE: Ghana Domestic Airlines - Status Quo?

Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:29 pm

Quoting airevents (Thread starter):
Africa World is still in the making?

Most definitely, yes!

Check out this video from AW's website. (AW is now Africa World's IATA code)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=3OYJ040jKPg

They're hiring ER4 pilots at the moment. I'd imagine they'd be launching in 2012.

One Life, Live it.

modesto2

Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:21 pm

Ghana's civil aviation has been challenged for quite some time. Antrak Air operates a small fleet of turboprops within the country.

Check it out:

www.antrakair.com

I haven't heard any developments with Africa World Airlines yet. I know they're in the start-up phase and are still hiring...

usflyer msp

Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:50 pm

Why there is this sudden rush of carriers that want to enter the Ghana domestic market (Starbow, Africa World, Fly540)? It is going to be a bloodbath, Ghana does not need 5 domestic carriers. Ghana is a relatively small country, has the best roads and ground infrastructure in West Africa, and a population that generally cannot afford to fly so I am not seeing what the business case for these carriers is. What Ghana really needs is safe, reliable international carrier, especially on intra-West Africa routes.

AF022

Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:30 pm

Considering the size of Kumasi I've been surprised that more airlines don't fly there. Surely KMS needs more capacity than Antrak can provide.