smeagol167
Topic Author

Airshow Fatality Rate

Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:07 pm

After the two recent airshow tragedies, I saw someone make a comment to the effect of with airshows as dangerous as they are it is amazing people still go to them. That of course made me wonder how dangerous are airshows. Does anyone have a fatality rate of airshows world wide? Conversely does anyone know the number of airshows worldwide, the average attendance, and/or the number of people killed in airshows (air and ground)? Any information on the subject would be appreciated.

FlexJetOKC

RE: Airshow Fatality Rate

Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:27 am

Well, in my personal opinion, the Reno Air Race is not an air show, its an air race which is different from an air show. Airplanes flying well over 400+ mph close together around a circuit is completely different from the Blue Angels lets say. The BA's flights are constantly practiced, rehearsed, and choreographed while the Reno Air Race is pretty much a "free for all" around the circuit. Airshows are safe I believe but accidents do happen. About your question regarding the fatality rate, it obviously depends widely on the circumstances you are referring to but it is very low.
Above the planet on a wing and a prayer, my grubby halo, a vapour trail in the empty air...