Ekfan
Topic Author

Kenya Airways Rome FCO Service

Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:36 am

Not sure if anyone else has posted on this, but it appears KQ is now flying their 737-700 on the NBO-FCO route. This doesn't bode well for the flight in my opinion, previously it was operated with the 767-300ERs. The flight is more than 7 hours outbound and the 73G is quite cramped and outdated, not even as nice as their 737-800s. I'm a bit surprised as there are strong links between Kenya and Italy and many Italian business people living and working in the country.

SSPhoenix

RE: Kenya Airways Rome FCO Service

Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:38 pm

I think they are quite constrained in terms of aircraft available ... THAT, and I THINK they wanted to start the route on a 'high' ... assuming that traffic would justify a 763. They are in talks with lessors for 77Ws ... 788s should come online some time next year (?).

as a side note: I remember that during the 80s and early 90s, Alitalia maintained a strong link with NBO ... even when it deteriorated to seasonal flying, one just needs to head to the North and South extremities of the Kenyan cost to appreciate the amount of tourists that were from Italy/West Germany and UK.

Apart from Tourism, as you rightly point out there is a rather affluent population of South Europeans living/working in E.Africa.

Now they are competing with Emirates, Qatar, Etihad, Ethiopian, Gulf Air, Turkish (Red eye flight) to name a few ... basically passengers will be swayed by price, even if it means a stop-over in the opposite direction (i.e. Stop Over in Middle East - assuming ME carriers)

I dare say NBO is a strong market, hence the addition of all these carriers ... with what I feel EK being the strongest, servicing NBO with a double daily with a A332 and B772 during peak season.

Interesting times ...
There's Method in the Madness ...