747400sp
Topic Author

Could Another US Airline Join Oneworld?

Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:09 pm

I was wondering, if another US airline wanted to join Oneworld, would they be able to, or is Oneworld, AA only in the states?

kiwiandrew

RE: Could Another US Airline Join Oneworld?

Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:16 pm

There aren't a lot of US airlines left which are available. But I could see B6 joining, they are close partners with AA and have been increasing their co-operation, don't be put off by the LH shareholding, it isn't enough to block anything, and, given the right offer I could see LH being happy to sell of their stake. I don't see AS joining as I think they make much more money by sleeping around with everyone (except A*) than they would by settling down to an alliance relationship.

bonusonus

Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:17 pm

Who would consider joining? B6? Alaska? I don't think that any of the non-alliance carriers in the US are really seeking one.

eastern023

Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:20 pm

Quoting kiwiandrew (Reply 1):
But I could see B6 joining

B6 is opening agreements with some OneWorld carriers such as AA and LA. I wouldn't be surprised if they join. I wonder if their LCC status would exclude them.....funny I see B6 more "full service" than their legacy counterparts.
AA will Rise Again!

DeltaMD90

Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:58 pm

I could see US jumping ship from Star but even that's unlikely...
Ironically I have never flown a Delta MD-90 :)

BOS2LAF

Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:59 pm

I think that B6 could bring a lot to the table for oneworld, but what could oneworld bring to the table for B6? Not nearly as much as Star. The scope of their current agreement with AA is extremely limited, and I can't see that cooperation growing much due to some restrictions on domestic cooperation in the AA pilots contract.

There aren't many heavy hitters that oneworld brings to the table for B6. BA/IB, CX, JL, LA, QF. If B6 joined oneworld, consider the VS interline agreement toast.

Star brings them (internationally): AC, CA, NZ, NH, OZ, OS, SN, MS, LH, SK, SQ, SA, LX, JJ, TP, and rumored VS and 9W. One could argue over whether some of these carriers are "heavy hitters," but the fact is that Star would bring B6 so much more international feed. Star would bring a whole lot more to the table for B6, but I'm not sure how much B6 brings to Star. Also something tells me UA and US would have a thing or two to say about B6 poaching their feed from the other Star carriers. Not to mention all the joining requirements that would be a massive departure from their core business model (i.e. adding tiers to TrueBlue, a first class cabin, interfacing with WorldTracer, etc.) It'd also cost them boatloads of money.

In short, neither option seems particularly appealing if I were B6, so I think that what they're doing now picking and choosing their partner airlines seems like the best option. Oneworld doesn't bring a whole lot to the table, and the obstacles to joining Star are too costly and a major deviation from their core business model.

[Edited 2011-09-21 15:03:34]

DLD9S

Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:12 pm

Quoting bos2laf (Reply 5):
If B6 joined oneworld, consider the VS interline agreement toast.

Not necessarily since BA, QF and AA also interline with VS.
717 727 737 747 757 767 777 DC9 DC10 M80 M90 M11 L10 AB6 333 340 319 320 321 ARJ CRJ EM2 EMJ SF3 146 100 BE1...

lhr380

Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:14 pm

Quoting eastern023 (Reply 3):
B6 is opening agreements with some OneWorld carriers such as AA and LA. I wouldn't be surprised if they join. I wonder if their LCC status would exclude them.....funny I see B6 more "full service" than their legacy counterparts.

Doubt the LCC thing would matter at all, as you said, they offer a better onboard product then most US mainlines
(The views on this site are my own and no one elses)

flyby519

Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:12 am

B6 joining oneworld would be a boon for AA in particular. Having a significant LCC partner in 3 major cornerstone markets would help AA really dominate all types of travelers from leisure to business. Thoughts?
These postings or comments are not a company-sponsored source of communication.

jacobin777

Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:52 am

Quoting bos2laf (Reply 5):
I think that B6 could bring a lot to the table for oneworld, but what could oneworld bring to the table for B6? Not nearly as much as Star.

JFK is B6's "fortress" and AA/BA bring the most to the table there.

Add -LAX, MIA, Caribbean, ORD, (even DFW), DCA, BOS and one can see what OneWorld brings.

Quoting kiwiandrew (Reply 1):
don't be put off by the LH shareholding,

. Also, BA (Walsh) has been on record that IAG is possibly interested in taking an investment into B6.
"Up the Irons!"

BOStonsox

Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:40 am

I would love to see what the addition of B6 to OneWorld would do to BOS. Maybe it would inspire AY to come back?
2013 World Series Champions!

qf002

Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:52 am

Quoting eastern023 (Reply 3):
I wonder if their LCC status would exclude them

JQ has a lot to do with Oneworld, and they are far more LCC than B6 is. I'd say it would be zero problem (they are, afterall, a 'good' LCC!)

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos