washingtonian
Topic Author

AA & Martinique

Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:48 am

Why does AA only serve Martinique from SJU? I'm surprised not to see service to MIA...

AA 777

RE: AA & Martinique

Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:37 am

I've often wondered the same. Anyone know?
CRJ-700 FO

MAH4546

Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:45 am

Because the market from the mainland is non-existent. Even Air France's flights from MIA aren't non-stop and operate via Haiti.
a.

AA 777

Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:52 am

Thanks Mark for the insight. Always appreciated.
CRJ-700 FO

AirGAbon

Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:32 pm

Even DL tried flights from ATL to FDF (Martinique) and Guadeloupe (PTP) with 738 once weekly each, but the operations remained one season only: no demand...

Only AC manages to operate on a regular basis to both FDF and PTP from YUL with A319.

Otherwise, AF operates the famous daily CAY-FDF-PTP-PAP-MIA wih A320.

BNAOWB

Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:45 pm

So, is it possible that Martinique receives more arriving passengers from Europe each year than from all of the Americas combined? If so, could there be any other airports in the Americas (aside from possibly PTP) with this distinction?

Curiousflyer

Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:52 pm

Quoting AirGabon (Reply 4):
AF operates the famous daily CAY-FDF-PTP-PAP-MIA wih A320

And I think this is very expensive, right?

I see NYC-PTP starting at $1510 with AC and $4785 (Via CDG !! There must be a cheaper routing with DL) with AF, MIA-PTP with AF $668, only 4 days a week!

RobertS975

Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:15 pm

In the mid to late 70's, I flew from JFK to FDF on an AA B707. The flight served both FDF and PTP, as I recall.

Viscount724

Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:15 pm

Quoting AirGabon (Reply 4):
Otherwise, AF operates the famous daily CAY-FDF-PTP-PAP-MIA wih A320.
Quoting BNAOWB (Reply 5):
So, is it possible that Martinique receives more arriving passengers from Europe each year than from all of the Americas combined? If so, could there be any other airports in the Americas (aside from possibly PTP) with this distinction?

Probably also CAY.

luckyone

Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:28 pm

Quoting BNAOWB (Reply 5):

The demand is so thin to many islands in the Caribbean that American cannot even fill the ATR they fly routinely. Since that aircraft isn't capable of making it to Miami, they use SJU.
Remember Martinique is an Overseas Region of France, and as such a domestic flight for most EU citizens. This makes it much cheaper for them. Given that, and the fact that it is French-speaking while there are many more English-speaking islands nearby, Martinique (and Guadeloupe) cater mostly to French-speaking groups. Add the Euro exchange rate compared to the Eastern Caribbean Dollar and you have a very unattractive picture for a lot of people. Being associated with France and having to operate under many French regulations also drives up costs for foreigners in comparison to neighboring islands.
I have never seen an advertisement for either of the two "French Islands" in the states, and had never even heard of them until I moved to the island in between them! Compare that to Jamaica, the Caymans, Barbados, etc.

[Edited 2011-09-22 14:30:15]

icna05e

Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:06 am

Quoting CuriousFlyer (Reply 6):
Via CDG

and a really "convenient" tranfert to ORY then. These islands are so much revolving around France and France only that they are served from Orly, which sees almost no connections to Europe and the rest of the world. There are talks for moving them but... doesn't happen

Viscount724

Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:20 pm

Quoting icna05e (Reply 10):
Quoting CuriousFlyer (Reply 6):
Via CDG

and a really "convenient" tranfert to ORY then. These islands are so much revolving around France and France only that they are served from Orly, which sees almost no connections to Europe and the rest of the world. There are talks for moving them but... doesn't happen

Similar situation from LON. Most current and former British territories in the Caribbean are served from LGW, not LHR.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos