NorthstarBoy
Topic Author

JFK T3: When Is It Closing For Good?

Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:28 am

The question pretty much speaks for itself:

Does anyone know when JFK T-3 is scheduled to permanently close?

I'd like to visit what I consider to be one of the world's most iconic air terminals and I'd like to know how much time I have to do so.

Thanks in advance for any information available.
Yes, I'd like to see airbus go under so Boeing can have their customers!

panamair

RE: JFK T3: When Is It Closing For Good?

Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:57 pm

Scheduled for May 2013 when the new T4 is ready for Delta...

jfk777

Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:06 pm

Why is the PANYNJ so quiet about what will go on the terminal 3 sight ?

FWAERJ

Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:17 pm

Quoting jfk777 (Reply 2):

Why is the PANYNJ so quiet about what will go on the terminal 3 sight ?

Delta and the PANYNJ have stated that the space occupied by T3 will be converted to hardstands.
"Did he really need the triple bypass? Or was it the miles?"

jfk777

Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:44 am

Quoting FWAERJ (Reply 3):
Delta and the PANYNJ have stated that the space occupied by T3 will be converted to hardstands.

Yah for about 250 days, with JFK bursting at the seems the T3 sight is prime for an extension of T4 or T1( if T2 is torn down).

NorthstarBoy
Topic Author

Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:09 am

thanks for the info panamair. I know many people deride T-3 as being a dump, but it is the last vestige of Pan Am and IMO it will be a very sad day when it finally does close.
Yes, I'd like to see airbus go under so Boeing can have their customers!

rwy04lga

Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:30 am

You'll see some great shots of the original T3 tonight, when ABC premiers 'Pan Am' at 10pm ET. Albeit CG, it looks fantastic and brings back some good memories!
Just accept that some days, you're the pigeon, and other days the statue

planetime

Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:20 pm

Quoting jfk777 (Reply 4):
Yah for about 250 days, with JFK bursting at the seems the T3 sight is prime for an extension of T4 or T1( if T2 is torn down).

Is T-2 slated for any renovation or modification other than the connection for T4? Was there couple months ago looks to be in bad shape T2. Also seems like only the extension of T4 will be on the t4b not t4a side where EK and other airlines come in. Is there any plan for that to be extended on the other end because that seems like a small area for all those airlines.

teneriffe77

Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:03 pm

I still think that they should tear t-2 down as it's an overcrowded mess especially at the end where the DL Connection flights are as there is hardly any seating for the many flights that often depart at one time and many people have to sit on the floor. Also it can be confusing w/ using just 2 gates that are next to each other for multiple departures as it can be hard to tell which gate a flight is departing from. What would be ideal is having a having a DL Connection/domestic departure terminal where the apron between T2 and T3 is.

FWAERJ

Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:30 pm

Quoting planetime (Reply 7):
Is T-2 slated for any renovation or modification other than the connection for T4? Was there couple months ago looks to be in bad shape T2.

T2 will be renovated as part of the plans.
"Did he really need the triple bypass? Or was it the miles?"

Revelation

Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:40 pm

Quoting jfk777 (Reply 4):

I wouldn't be surprised in the long term if the T3 area got used for something more than hardstands, but in the near term JFK really isn't bursting at the seams. Note PANYNJ just ripped down T6 just to get some room for future T5 expansion and for some more hard stands.
Inspiration, move me brightly!

rwy04lga

Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:47 pm

As I've said before, they should tear down only the late 60's addition and keep the original rotunda as an RJ terminal, extending T2 past where the RJs are now.
Just accept that some days, you're the pigeon, and other days the statue

gaystudpilot

Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:33 pm

Current work on T4 is phase one only and will include a connector extending past the to be demolished T3 to T2. There is a second unfunded phase two T4 expansion on the drawing board only. I wouldn't be surprised if at *some point* the current T2 structure, renovated as part of phase one or not, is torn down and the space is used in conjunction with (the hard stand) T3 space for a new terminal facility.

Questions:
Please refresh my memory, what is the net gain/loss of gates for T2, T3, T4 (A and B) with phase one? With phase two?

Do we know the extent of renovation work on T2? If so, what is it? Is the work slated as part of phase one or phase two?

[Edited 2011-09-25 09:36:22]

commavia

Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:42 pm

Quoting NorthstarBoy (Reply 5):
I know many people deride T-3 as being a dump, but it is the last vestige of Pan Am and IMO it will be a very sad day when it finally does close.

It is sad because of the legacy and history of aviation that it represents, but not as sad as the state the current terminal is in today. It's just bad. Flying through their recently, I was stunned at how bad T3 looked.

TSS

Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:31 pm

Quoting rwy04lga (Reply 11):
As I've said before, they should tear down only the late 60's addition and keep the original rotunda as an RJ terminal, extending T2 past where the RJs are now.

Sounds great except for two minor details:
1. It's badly located since runway 4L/22R opened.
2. It leaks like a sieve.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

washingtonian

Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:05 pm

Quoting TSS (Reply 14):
1. It's badly located since runway 4L/22R opened.

Runway 31L/13R was there before T2 and T3.

nomadic

Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:50 pm

Quoting commavia (Reply 13):
It is sad because of the legacy and history of aviation that it represents, but not as sad as the state the current terminal is in today. It's just bad. Flying through their recently, I was stunned at how bad T3 looked.

With all of the comments posted here about the poor condition of T# I was expecting something horrible when I passed through there several weeks ago. It was actually in better condition than I thought it would be but certainly far from the beautifil building of days gone by. One thing that surprised me was how small the security checkpoit is. My flight was a mid-morning departure so it was rather quiet and the wait was minimal. I can't imagine what it must be like during the peak evening hours. The lines must go on forever.

It was both sad and nostalgic to be back inside the old "World Port". In the 60s and 70's before strict security, my family and friends would often go to the airport just to have dinner there! (Eastern, The International Arrivals Building, TWA and American also had restaurants with good food and great views of the field.) You could also stand right next to the departure gates in the rotunda and watch as passengers boarded for Rome, Frankfurt, Bombay.......

Maybe if the new 'Pan Am' series is a success, there might be a call to save T3.....once people discover just what an amazing building it was.

Quoting teneriffe77 (Reply 8):
I still think that they should tear t-2 down as it's an overcrowded mess especially at the end where the DL Connection flights are as there is hardly any seating for the many flights that often depart at one time and many people have to sit on the floor. Also it can be confusing w/ using just 2 gates that are next to each other for multiple departures as it can be hard to tell which gate a flight is departing from.

I agree that T2 is indeed a mess, particularly the Connection departure area. The last time I passed through here, many flights were delayed and the place was in chaos. As teneriffe77 noted, there is not much room at the best of times but this day was bedlam. The staff was trying to dispatch 17 flights in 30 minutes from 2 gates. Crowds were jammed into a small area. No one could hear what flight had been called. Lots of pushing, kicking, ( I was expecting slapping and hair pulling too..) What a horrible start to my trip. The T2 Connection gates are an embarrassment to Delta and the City of New York.

jfk777

Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:56 am

Quoting Revelation (Reply 10):
I wouldn't be surprised in the long term if the T3 area got used for something more than hardstands, but in the near term JFK really isn't bursting at the seams. Note PANYNJ just ripped down T6 just to get some room for future T5 expansion and for some more hard stands

Whatever expansion JB has on to the T6 sight, T7 will be part of future plans since BA has only 3 years left on its lease. JFK has lots of developable land with T3, T6 and T7 lots available.

b727fa

Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:24 pm

Quoting rwy04lga (Reply 11):

Cheers! I want them to save the rotunda. The rest of T3 can go... What I don't understand is how they plan to "connect" T2 and T4...with pack mules and wagon trains? That's a LONG way to "connect" with a moving walkway tunnel (as indicated in plans available to view.
My comments/opinions are my own and are not to be construed as the opinion(s) of my employer.

Curiousflyer

Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:41 pm

Everytime I used T2-3, I found it very crowded, on top of being a sad crumbling mess. I am not sure how DL will do with just T4 with all their flights, it will be interesting to watch.

T2, T3... they might have been great, the rotunda might have been outstanding in the past... but now they are just a sore. Terrible space management.

Revelation

Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:57 pm

Quoting CuriousFlyer (Reply 19):
Everytime I used T2-3, I found it very crowded, on top of being a sad crumbling mess. I am not sure how DL will do with just T4 with all their flights, it will be interesting to watch.

T2, T3... they might have been great, the rotunda might have been outstanding in the past... but now they are just a sore. Terrible space management.

As above:

Quoting FWAERJ (Reply 9):
T2 will be renovated as part of the plans.

Some more info: http://nycaviation.com/2010/08/delta...esign-plans-image-gallery/?pid=392
Inspiration, move me brightly!