SJOtoLIR
Topic Author

Central American Aviation Thread. Part 43

Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:18 pm

THE CENTRAL AMERICAN AVIATION THREAD
PART XLIII

"Tribute to Aero Costa Rica"

Aero Costa Rica -no longer in service- was an airline based in San Jose from 1992 to 1997.
It began operating two ex-Pan Am Boeing 727-200 and routing SJO-MIA during their first months of service. Two Boeing 737-200s replaced their 722s in 1993 due to fuel consumption issues.
Atlanta, Orlando, San Andres Island and San Pedro Sula were listed in the past, but I’m not sure if these segments worked as regular schedules before.
Aero Costa Rica utilized the ICAO code ML and they introduced the "Arenal Oro" class as the equivalent of business class in those days. As far as I remember, LACSA didn’t offer J seats when ML operated back in the 90s.

Highlights from the Central American scenario:

August 16: DL GUA-ATL. 14x to 7x weekly.
August 20: AA DFW-PTY 1x weekly. Temporary suspended.
August 23. AA SAL-LAX 7x weekly Permanently ceased.
August 24. AM MEX-GUA 7x to 14x weekly. Operated by 5D AeroMexico Connect with ERJ.
August 31. TA LIM-AQP 14x to 21x weekly.
September 01. TA LIM-MEX 6x to 4x weekly. Temporary reduction.
September 19. TA LIM-ANF 3x weekly. Permanently ceased.

Welcome to the new installment into the Cent Am commercial aviation series !

Coming from the old thread:

Quoting SCL767 (Reply 200):
The Argentine ANAC tends to act in a protectionist manner; which deters business travel and tourism. ROS does well with pax connecting to LAX

TA LIM-MDZ was an example of that Argentine protectionism. The flight didn’t last more than six weeks in operation.

Quoting 2travel2know2 (Reply 204):
As long as CM and KL code-share on AMS-PTY, for lots of destinations AMS may prove to be a better connecting airport than LHR.

I bet both IB MAD-PTY and KL AMS-PTY will operate on a daily basis someday. Their frequencies are progressing and we can expect further airlines linking Europe and Panama City in the future.

Regards.

[Edited 2011-09-24 13:40:23 by srbmod]
"Goin' up to the spirit in the sky"

SCL767

RE: Central American Aviation Thread. Part 43

Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:05 pm

Quoting SJOtoLIR (Thread starter):

Quoting SCL767 (Reply 200):
The Argentine ANAC tends to act in a protectionist manner; which deters business travel and tourism. ROS does well with pax connecting to LAX

TA LIM-MDZ was an example of that Argentine protectionism. The flight didn’t last more than six weeks in operation.

The Argentine aviation market is subject to government intervention in order to "protect" jobs in Argentina. LP applied for LIM-IGR and at the last moment the ANAC decided not to grant permission since LP also applied for LIM-ROS, which now operates daily. LP will increase frequency on the LIM-COR route next year. LA can add flights into the Argentine Republic from Chile with-out issues and AR/AU can add flights into Chile with-out issues. 4M can increase frequencies on more domestic routes and launch regional flights to Chile and Perú as well. For example, LA/4M now operate 7 daily flights into MDZ from AEP and SCL.

2travel2know2

Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:31 pm

Aero Costa Rica -no longer in service- was an airline based in San Jose from 1992 to 1997.

Wasn't Aero Costa Rica popularly known as Aero Pollo as its owner was the owner of a poultry company too?
If they flew SJO-ATL-SJO w/B737-200 wasn't that SJO-ATL weught restricted? And B.T.W., having flown CM 737-200 in 2 class configuration, it was awful then for 100+ passengers to share one lavatory in rear of the aircraft. Those B737-200 didn't have 3 lavatories in the rear.
I'm not on CM's payroll.

MGASJO

Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:38 pm

La Costeña´s ATR 42-300 YN-CHG had some turbine issues some 10 days ago and it is parked in Puerto Cabezas awaiting a new turbine. In order to help with our operations a C208B from SANSA has come here to help us with the flights. TI-BDL has been covering at least 3 flights a day for the last 7 days. 2 full crews are staying here to man it. It seems the ATR will be back in service in 5 days at the most (we hope!)
C208B

yellowtail

Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:39 pm

ugust 20: AA DFW-PTY 1x weekly. Temporary suspended.

AA just can't seem to get a foot hold on PTY-DFW.....strange.
When in doubt, hold on to your altitude. No-one has ever collided with the sky.

avi8

Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:46 am

Why is it that DFW-GUA is very succesful and DFW-PTY isn't?
avi8

Medschool student

viaggiare

Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:42 am

Atlanta, Orlando, San Andres Island and San Pedro Sula

Also FLL in the mid–nineties.

utilized the ICAO code ML

IATA code.. the ICAO designator was AEK.

Quoting 2travel2know2 (Reply 2):
Wasn't Aero Costa Rica popularly known as Aero Pollo as its owner was the owner of a poultry company too?

Yes and the infamous Calixto Chaves had no prior aviation experience whatsoever.. one interesting tidbit is that two other names were considered for the airline (Tico Airlines and Aerolíneas Latinoamericanas) which was partly funded with Venezuelan capital.. btw the poultry business would eventually become a subsidiary of meat giant Cargill.

And did you know that Federico Bloch (the Harvard graduate who masterminded the strategy that brought five CentAm carriers together under one umbrella, maintaining traffic rights pursuant to air service agreements negotiated by each of the individual countries but operating as a single entity from an operational standpoint) once admitted to have offered Chaves 20% of LACSA stock in exchange for dropping the Aero Costa Rica project?

Check out the newspaper stories (in Spanish) from when that chaotic experiment came to an abrupt end.. Aero Costa Rica cesó vuelosCCSS pidió quiebra de Aero Costa RicaAerolínea cesó a empleados

Quoting MGASJO (Reply 3):
YN-CHG had some turbine issues some 10 days ago and it is parked in Puerto Cabezas awaiting a new turbine

Any insight on the logistics involved in getting a replacement engine (PW100?) and qualified technicians to PUZ?
Entre el fuerte y el débil, la libertad oprime. Sólo la ley libera.

MGASJO

Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:56 pm

Quoting viaggiare (Reply 6):
Any insight on the logistics involved in getting a replacement engine (PW100?) and qualified technicians to PUZ?

I still don´t know how the turbine is arriving here. Only UPS flies cargo down here with enough room to bring an engine; but they are very reluctant on bringing dangerous goods here. However the turbine gets here (either by boat or by road from SJO where cargo carriers are abundant) it will be flown to PUZ on Nicaragua´s Air Force AN26 and the failed engine returned to Managua the same way. I assume technicians will be sent here as well; i know our mechanics are good with PT6As but since the ATR is recent here i don´t know if they have what it takes to R&R.
C208B

aer

Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:40 pm

AA cancelled their DFW-GUA today so SY is doing the run for them with flt 8812. I wish I could go spot them as it would be something new to see at GUA
nice and spacious airports in need of new airlines and flights... GUA or FRS anyone?... anyone at all?

2travel2know2

Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:01 pm

Quoting yellowtail (Reply 4):
AA just can't seem to get a foot hold on PTY-DFW.....strange.

IMHO,
1- While there are some out there who really like the DFW flight, most PTY AA-lovers seem to be too much MIA-centric, they plain don't know of the DFW flight or hardly ever consider flying thru DFW.
2- DFW-PTY-DFW is not timed to offer immediate connections to/from AA NRT flights.
I really don't care that much about AA MIA-PTY, but really wish AA the best on any DFW-PTY service and will talk about it so people here in PTY know about it.
I'm not on CM's payroll.

avi8

Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:54 pm

Excuse my ignorance, but what airline does SY stand for?
avi8

Medschool student

juanchito

Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:06 pm

Quoting avi8 (Reply 10):
Excuse my ignorance, but what airline does SY stand for?

Suncountry

Juanchito
Fotografos de Aviacion de Guatemala. Spotter.
https://www.facebook.com/Fot%C3%B3grafo ... 661476921/

SJOtoLIR
Topic Author

Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:40 am

Quoting 2travel2know2 (Reply 9):
1- While there are some out there who really like the DFW flight, most PTY AA-lovers seem to be too much MIA-centric, they plain don't know of the DFW flight or hardly ever consider flying thru DFW.

In my view, the higher revenues for American Airlines in Central America are concentrated in Miami.
AA [Cent Am - DFW] caters passengers heading mainly to the US western. Thus, the AA [Cent Am - MIA] flights are free of these travelers and their healthy yields wouldn't be deterred.
On the other hand, CM PTY-LAX has doubled their frequencies offering 2x daily flights whereas AA DFW-PTY operated just one flight a week.

Quoting 2travel2know2 (Reply 9):
2- DFW-PTY-DFW is not timed to offer immediate connections to/from AA NRT flights.

Related to the Latin American scenario, deep South America is properly timed for immediate connections to Asia through Dallas/Ft.Worth as they northbound flights do operate as red-eyes: AA GRU-DFW, AA SCL-DFW, AA GIG-DFW and AA EZE-GRU.
This is not the situation for Central America.

Regards.

avi8

Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:03 am

The GUA flight is well timed. Good connections are avilable, even the Asian ones.
avi8

Medschool student

SJOtoLIR
Topic Author

Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:38 am

AA 2162.......GUA 08:20.............DFW 12:45
AA 1998.......SAL 08:20..............DFW 12:50
AA 2166.......SJO 09:40..............DFW 14:55

AA 175..........DFW 09:40............NRT 13:05+1
AA 61............DFW 12:40............NRT 16:10+1

Immediate connections to Tokyo Narita are not possible through Dallas/Ft. Worth given these conditions.
Anyways, I think that traffic is minimal.

Regards.

avi8

Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:45 am

I sand corrected! Anyways I have a question here that has never been answered to me. Could a 787 make a direct flight from GUA to MAD for example, or any other European city? I also heard B6 will be announcing routes soon. Wonder what they are  
avi8

Medschool student

viaggiare

Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:35 pm

AM656 will again be using a mixture of 75% conventional jet fuel and 25% synthetic paraffin biokerosene this evening. Aeroméxico flew its first set of so-called green flights between MEX and SJO about a year ago and plans to do it again now once weekly.

SJOtoLIR
Topic Author

Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:01 am

TACA introduces extra frequencies into the [Bogota-San Salvador] service:

TA 290............BOG 05:55..............SAL 07:55.................Tu, Th, Sa
TA 291............SAL 19:30................BOG 23:30...............Mo, We, Fr
Effective: November 16th

As a result, TA SAL-BOG goes from 7x to 10x weekly allowing better connectivity to North and Central America through SAL for those passengers originated at BOG.

Regards.

viaggiare

Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:25 pm

SJO operator AERIS said the much-awaited public spotting terrace (un mirador para que los ticos revivan la época en que se podía observar los aterrizajes desde la terminal de pasajeros) is ready —should be open within weeks— and that the only hold up now is CETAC approval.

yellowtail

Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:54 am

after announcing BZE-RTB/SAP service starting Dec.....PM seems to have run into some issues with paperwork in Honduras....and may not make the planned start date....might be pushed back to Jan or Feb to allow for enough time to market properly.

viaggiare

Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:21 am

N937TA was involved in a second incident (some of you might recall the first event back in July) while enroute to CCS (again) earlier today.

LR631 reported trouble with the hydraulic system and its crew turned back to SJO (although the aircraft was said to be already over Panamanian airspace) where fire crews quickly sprayed foam to minimize the chance of an explosion.

TACA negó que el derrame fuera de combustible mediante un comunicado. La aerolínea detalló que se trató de un derrame de fluido hidráulico y que no era necesario aplicar la espuma. (airline claims no jet fuel ever spilled just an inconsequential hydraulic fluid leak thus no need for all that sticky foam).

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © César Badilla

[Edited 2011-10-01 21:39:13]

SJOtoLIR
Topic Author

Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:47 pm

Quoting viaggiare (Reply 18):
SJO operator AERIS said the much-awaited public spotting terrace

Excellent news! The nostalgic terrace at SJO comes to mind around the 70s. If I remember correctly, the old waving gallery was distributed in two levels.
I'm not cleared about where the new observation platform would be located at. Authorities usually stop all non-travelers who are trying to enter at the ticketing building.

Quoting viaggiare (Reply 20):
TACA negó que el derrame fuera de combustible mediante un comunicado. La aerolínea detalló que se trató de un derrame de fluido hidráulico y que no era necesario aplicar la espuma.

I've heard the news on radio and they declared that some flights heading to SJO were diverted to LIR instead.

Regards.

avi8

Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:38 pm

I don't know if y'all have heard this but there is a rumor that UA will launch ORD-GUA next year as they do claim there is demand for that route. They will also add a second frequency on Sundays to Newark starting in December from GUA and SAL.

Regards.

Source: http://www.s21.com.gt/pulso-economic...emos-asientos-sino-una-experiencia
avi8

Medschool student

viaggiare

Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:31 am

So now that the Chilean anti-trust court has barred a merged LA/JJ from being in the same alliance as AV/TA, could Star be regretting its decision last year to approve the cartel's membership application?

LATAM deberá renunciar, dentro de un plazo que no exceda 24 meses contados desde la fecha en que se materialice la Operación consultada, al menos a una de las dos alianzas globales en que a esa fecha participan sus partes, LAN y TAM. En ningún caso podrá pertenecer a aquélla en la que también el grupo Avianca/Taca sea miembro o asociado, o se encuentre en proceso de ingresar. (excerpt from the Tribunal de Defensa de la Libre Competencia ruling)

viaggiare

Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:32 am

Quoting SJOtoLIR (Reply 21):
where the new observation platform would be located

That would be in the third level (rooftop terrace atop the mezzanine level) between gates 6 and 7 —just find where it says Zona para cafés y nuevo mirador in this diagram..

viaggiare

Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:05 pm

This morning on local radio the Costa Rican ambassador to Panamá hinted Copa will announce LIR in the coming months.   

SCL767

Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:23 pm

What is the current situation with CM launching PTY-ROS 3x weekly? The Argentine ANAC recently forced LP to temporarily decrease frequency on the LIM-ROS route to 4x weekly until February 1, 2012...Copa Airlines ya cuenta con tres frecuencias para operar en Rosario

2travel2know2

Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:36 pm

Quoting SCL767 (Reply 26):
What is the current situation with CM launching PTY-ROS 3x weekly?

IMHO, CM will not decrease frequencies to COR in order to start ROS. Word is that Panama is negotiating modifications to the Panama-Argentina bilateral which could allow CM to increase frequencies to Argentina, even if not to EZE but at least could allow CM to start ROS, MDZ and maybe SLA and/or TUC.

Asia comes close to PTY From www.prensa.com - in Spanish.
Today La Prensa features the news that CX will fly to PTY starting next year. It'll be a cargo flight between HKG and PTY 1st to be later upgraded to passenger flights.
The Panama Tourist Authority spoke-person said that airlines from Singapore, Japan and Korea are interested in flying to PTY too. Also, AM is expected to fly here early 2012 and talks are being held with Brazilian G3.
I'm not on CM's payroll.

SCL767

Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:48 pm

Quoting 2travel2know2 (Reply 27):
IMHO, CM will not decrease frequencies to COR in order to start ROS. Word is that Panama is negotiating modifications to the Panama-Argentina bilateral which could allow CM to increase frequencies to Argentina, even if not to EZE but at least could allow CM to start ROS, MDZ and maybe SLA and/or TUC.

Hopefully the Argentine ANAC will permit CM to start services to other destinations in the Argentine Republic soon; LP was denied entry into IGR and TA was forced to drop MDZ only weeks after launching services into MDZ. I expect that after the elections, things will "change" and more services will be allowed into the country. I suspect that the ANAC is doing this to LP since LA is dumping capacity into both COR and MDZ from SCL.

copa330200

Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:44 am

Quoting SCL767 (Reply 26):
Today La Prensa features the news that CX will fly to PTY starting next year. It'll be a cargo flight between HKG and PTY 1st to be later upgraded to passenger flights.

Great news indeed !!!! is HKG - PTY non stop possible ??
On the run !!!

2travel2know2

Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:06 am

Quoting copa330200 (Reply 29):
is HKG - PTY non stop possible ??

NO,,my guess is that CX Cargo will fly HKG-PTY via YVR/SFO/LAX.
I'm not on CM's payroll.

avi8

Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:11 am

I have an out of topic question. How is CM managing to do all these new routes and stuff with just 10 new aircraft? Their new bank is very early in the morning which in my guess only involves a few cities and most of them 5x a week. Can someone please clarify this for me?
avi8

Medschool student

SJOtoLIR
Topic Author

Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:59 am

Quoting 2travel2know2 (Reply 27):
CM will not decrease frequencies to COR in order to start ROS.

Copa Airlines started the Cordoba service in 2007 flying some days a week.
CM PTY-COR is operating on a daily basis nowadays and it's a clear sign of the consolidation of that service.

Quoting avi8 (Reply 31):
How is CM managing to do all these new routes and stuff with just 10 new aircraft?

Copa Airlines inaugurated four new routes in June 2011: CM PTY-BSB 4x weekly, CM PTY-POA 4x weekly, CM PTY-YYZ 4x weekly and CM PTY-NAS 4x weekly.
They will officially launch in December: CM PTY-ORD 7x weekly, CM PTY-ASU 4x weekly, CM/P5 PTY-CUC 4x weekly and CM PTY-MTY 4x weekly.
That being said, the new routes don't demand dedicated planes all day besides CM PTY-BSB and CM PTY-POA. Furthermore, most of the described routes only operate four days a week.
This development is possible with less than 10 brand-new planes.
CM/P5 has also increased some frequencies out of PTY in June: GIG, BAQ, BOG, CTG, CLO, LIM, MEX, PUJ, SCL, MCO, PAP, AUA and MIA. And more to come in December: CNF, GDL, JFK, PUJ, STI, SXM, VVI, GIG, MEX, GUA, AUA, BGA and CLO, among others.

Regards.

2travel2know2

Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:18 pm

Quoting SJOtoLIR (Reply 32):
They will officially launch in December: CM PTY-ORD 7x weekly, CM PTY-ASU 4x weekly, CM/P5 PTY-CUC 4x weekly and CM PTY-MTY 4x weekly.

CM will also return to MBJ this December.
I'm not on CM's payroll.

aer

Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:03 pm

So not only did CM rebrand the region's President's Club to Copa Club but they're need opening the GUA club, nice finally can get a Priority Pass lounge here.
nice and spacious airports in need of new airlines and flights... GUA or FRS anyone?... anyone at all?

avi8

Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:37 am

I also have a question. Does opening a Presidents club mean that they will expand their service to GUA? If I'm not wrong, they have more flights from SJO than GUA. And regarding the CM super expansion, I appreciate the clarification. Which cities will be included in the new early morning bank?
avi8

Medschool student

aer

Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:54 am

Quoting avi8 (Reply 35):
Does opening a Presidents club mean that they will expand their service to GUA?

Not necessarily since the other Copa Club is in SDQ,

juanchito

Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:58 pm

Quoting avi8 (Reply 35):
I also have a question. Does opening a Presidents club mean that they will expand their service to GUA? If I'm not wrong, they have more flights from SJO than GUA. And regarding the CM super expansion, I appreciate the clarification.

Nop that does not mean that. GUA has a lot of space to create the Copa Club SJO doesn't have right know maybe in the future with the expansion. Remember that future Star Alliance members including Taca will be using Copa Club.

Juanchito
Fotografos de Aviacion de Guatemala. Spotter.
https://www.facebook.com/Fot%C3%B3grafo ... 661476921/

aer

Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:01 pm

Quoting juanchito (Reply 37):
Remember that future Star Alliance members including Taca will be using Copa Club.

As well as CM using the Taca VIP lounges so they may not even build a Copa Club at SJO or SAL for example.

2travel2know2

Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:05 pm

Quoting aer (Reply 38):
As well as CM using the Taca VIP lounges so they may not even build a Copa Club at SJO or SAL for example.

But in MGA yes. Does LIM already have a Presidents, TA VIP or CM Club ?
I'm not on CM's payroll.

aer

Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:21 pm

Quoting 2travel2know2 (Reply 39):
Does LIM already have a Presidents, TA VIP or CM Club ?

Dunno, guess a comprehensive list of lounges in the region would be:

Presidents Club / Copa Club (United Club)
PTY
SDQ
GUA

Taca Sala VIP
SAL

Admirals Club
PTY

Independent Lounges
GUA - Los Añejos
SJO - Aeris VIP Lounges

Let me know if I missed any.

2travel2know2

Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:40 pm

Quoting aer (Reply 40):
Independent Lounges
GUA - Los Añejos
SJO - Aeris VIP Lounges

Let me know if I missed any.

I remember an independent loungue @ MGA.
I'm not on CM's payroll.

HR001

Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:39 pm

There is a lounge @ TGU for certain creditcard holders.

viaggiare

Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:36 pm

Quoting aer (Reply 40):
SJO - Aeris VIP Lounges

Indeed the 5800-square-foot lounge being built on the third level is described by Aeris as un área de 540m2 para albergar a los clientes VIP de las aerolíneas con mayor presencia en el aeropuerto.

viaggiare

Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:03 pm

Airlines serving SJO and LIR share high expectations for the so-called Million Dollar Gift of Happiness advertising campaign launched today in US/Canadian markets by the Costa Rica Tourism Board through Atlanta-based ad agency 22squared.

MGASJO

Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:47 pm

Quoting 2travel2know2 (Reply 41):
I remember an independent loungue @ MGA.

Affirmative, it is independent, however Copa gives access to all their business class customers.

In other news. A bird hit one of La Costeña's C208Bs inbound from Bluefields to Managua.
Bird broke the windshield on the captain's side and debris hit the captain and the passenger seated behind him, no major injuries but a big scare.

http://www.elnuevodiario.com.ni/nacionales/115934
C208B

yellowtail

Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:12 pm

Quoting MGASJO (Reply 45):

In other news. A bird hit one of La Costeña's C208Bs inbound

Nasty.....I have seen one of our 208's hit a vulture....but that was the wing.....blood everywhere

viaggiare

Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:15 pm

Quoting MGASJO (Reply 45):
debris hit the captain and the passenger seated behind him
“Todo ocurrió rápido. Cuando vi tenía la camisa con pedazos de sangre y huesos del animal” —bloody messy!

yellowtail

Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:52 am

Can any of you guys help me out with a listing of the scheduled flights between SAP and TGU. I know TA's but I don't know who else has....

and i need to get from SAP to TGU!

aer

Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:58 am

Quoting yellowtail (Reply 48):
Can any of you guys help me out with a listing of the scheduled flights between SAP and TGU. I know TA's but I don't know who else has....

and i need to get from SAP to TGU!

I guess it's TA/Isleña and Aerolineas Sosa. Don't know if there is another domestic carrier in Honduras.