tinosky

WestJet, Emirates Ink ‘interline’ Pact

Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:24 pm

I was a little surprised with this one since WJ is Canada's LCC. It will be interesting to see where this goes. With Emirates being one of the top airlines, I thought a LCC wouldn't be on the roadmap. I guess they have no choice since Ottawa is giving them a hard time. Clever!   

WestJet, Emirates ink ‘interline’ pact

Tinosky,

yegbey01

RE: WestJet, Emirates Ink ‘interline’ Pact

Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:35 pm

Nice little game by EK.....Now they will ask WJ to lobby Ottawa on their behalf....Kind of makes you wonder, who is EK going after!

But if EK's flights out of YYZ are pretty full anyway, why would they need the WJ feed?

lightsaber
Crew

Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:18 pm

Quoting Tinosky (Thread starter):
I was a little surprised with this one since WJ is Canada's LCC

Wow. This is a big surprise.

Looking at Westjet's route map, I see great connections at Toronto, but nothing for SEA. I went to the routemap expecting to note that Yxx and Yzz would help feed the new SEA-DXB flights...   

Is Westjet planning to expand to SEA?!?

Quoting yegbey01 (Reply 1):
But if EK's flights out of YYZ are pretty full anyway, why would they need the WJ feed?

Yeild.    Always good to improve yeild.

Lightsaber
"They did not know it was impossible, so they did it!" - Mark Twain

yegbey01

Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:45 pm

Quoting lightsaber (Reply 2):

Yeild. Always good to improve yeild.

Lightsaber

by striking a deal with Low cost carrier?

c172akula

Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:47 pm

I doubt we'd see a YYC-SEA flight start up, does EK have any agreements with QX? They operate flights to SEA from YYC already.

anstar

Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:49 pm

With Emirates being one of the top airlines, I thought a LCC wouldn't be on the roadmap.

They partnered with Virgin Blue while they were still a LCC in Australia.

RJNUT

Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:54 pm

I thought a LCC wouldn't be on the roadmap

and now do interlining at DXB with Flydubai, an LCC over in UAE!

YXD172

Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:50 pm

Considering the terminal set-up in YYZ, for canadian outbound PAX I can't think of any worse of a connection to make. Sure, your bags will be checked through, but you still have to take the train between the terminals and then head back through security.

Not too bad coming into Canada I guess, as you'd have to re-clear security after customs anyway - though I'm guessing you'll have to carry your bags from one terminal to the other.

I'm thinking that this will benefit WS more than EK, as if anyone was planning to go out to DXB or beyond they likely would have been on EK anyway. For WS, it should encourage passengers to take WS on the canadian end instead of AC.
Radial engines don't leak oil, they are just marking their territory!

lightsaber
Crew

Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:55 pm

Quoting yegbey01 (Reply 3):

Have you flown Westjet? My last flight was on them and I loved them. So if a customer can easily buy a ticket only and fly out on EK... it will improve yeild for EK. I found the service superior to UA Y+. Ok, the physical product is the LCC seat, but Westjet's service impressed me. (In the start of my trip report):

Westjet Was Great! Disney Cruise Didn't Impress (by lightsaber Sep 25 2011 in Trip Reports)

Lightsaber

connies4ever

Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:58 pm

I think this is further evidence that WS is sliding away from the LCC model -- and have been for some time:

- FF program (although it's pretty crappy);
- interline already with AFKL;
- interline already with CX I believe.

I think you will see some type of announcement fairly soon (perhaps 6 months) of a front cabin for the 73G/738s, but perhaps not the 736s. That way they will be able to accomodate the flow of premium pax from their interline partners and score the revenue share therein.

They will also be able to NOT purchase/lease wide-bodies, although they might want to look at something more Hawaii-capable. A single short-term lease 752 isn't going to make it in the long-haul (no pun... ). Maybe a few 739ERs ?
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

globalflyer

Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:06 pm

I'm not surprised at all. WS is an awesome airline and it really does make sense. Yes the service is a bit different than EK but it totally makes sense. Watch EK do the same with AS when the SEA service begins.
Landing on every Continent almost on an annual basis!

tinosky

Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:36 pm

Actually, It's funny you say that. I saw an article in the elevator this morning (on the mini TV) stating that WJ is considering Premium economy. That would be fantastic!  

I truly think they can pull it off!

Tinosky,

yegbey01

Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:48 pm

Quoting lightsaber (Reply 8):
Have you flown Westjet? My last flight was on them and I loved them. So if a customer can easily buy a ticket only and fly out on EK... it will improve yeild for EK. I found the service superior to UA Y+. Ok, the physical product is the LCC seat, but Westjet's service impressed me. (In the start of my trip report):

Westjet Was Great! Disney Cruise Didn't Impress (by lightsaber Sep 25 2011 in Trip Reports)

Lightsaber

I have flown Westjet many times....my point is that unless EK gets more flights into YYZ or Canada for that matter, WJ can only add very little to EK.

EK's flights out of YYZ are pretty full to start with...Now obviously, some connect on AC to get to YYZ, but my understanding is that EK flight is well supported by the local YYZ catchment area

lightsaber
Crew

Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:04 pm

Quoting yegbey01 (Reply 12):
my understanding is that EK flight is well supported by the local YYZ catchment area

That is my understanding too. But the WS interline should help. How much? Eh... its only an interline, not a code share. So in reality, not a big cost for either WS or EK... but a potential revenue enhancer for both.

Its not as if AC is going to help passengers get onto the EK flight.   

Lightsaber

Viscount724

Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:46 am

Now they will ask WJ to lobby Ottawa
Quoting Tinosky (Reply 11):
WJ is considering Premium economy.
Quoting yegbey01 (Reply 12):
WJ can only add very little to EK.
WJ is Canada's LCC.

Common error but WestJet's code is WS, not WJ which is another Canadian carrier, Air Labrador.

AA767LOVER

Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:59 am

Quoting C172Akula (Reply 4):

I honestly don't see the problem of a WS 737-600 operating the YYC-SEA route. It encourages more competition on the route. Most fly to Vancouver then drive to SEA or drive to SEA since airfares are so bloody expensive with only one carrier on the route. IIRC, AC Jazz canceled the CRJ service? Correct me if I'm wrong on that.

But YYC-DXB makes far more sense on the West than SEA-DXB even if YYC-DXB operated twice weekly frequencies with oil patch workers. It can really make Calgary a powerhouse. Mayor Nenshi should try to court EK into Calgary to feed the West Coast flights rather than everything via YYZ. YYC-DXB could see a 77L on the route.
J.I. Tsui, American Advantage Member, United Mileage Plus (Premier)

YXXMIKE

Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:50 am

I will preface this posting by saying, I don't like either airline very much.

I can't help but think of a book title, "shake hands with the devil". After the fight and heat the federal government took to protect Canadian interests WS goes and signs an interline deal. I find it interesting and I think that this really serves no real purpose other than for EK to gain extra ground in the Canadian market, and they'll dance with anybody so WS was the suitor. This deal makes little sense for WS, I just don't know how many of the their clients will want to fly YMM - YYC - YYZ - DXB - Other? When a YMM - YEG - LHR - xyz would work just as well? You can blast me all you want, but I just don't see the upside to this deal for anybody except EK.

I've stated this before on other topics but I just get the feeling WS is bored and like the little sibling they are lacking the attention they once got. They haven't really expanded or really have done much for anyone to say "wow, look at those guys". They are in tough against a very revived AC and have little in the way of good news to share. I know the execs at WS aren't stupid but I also know they crave attention and it's something they don't have and haven't had for sometime. So if this is their way of seeking out some attention, then well done you just shook hands with the devil.

anrec80

Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:13 am

I was a little surprised with this one since WJ is Canada's LCC. It will be interesting to see where this goes. With Emirates being one of the top airlines, I thought a LCC wouldn't be on the roadmap. I guess they have no choice since Ottawa is giving them a hard time. Clever!
Quoting C172Akula (Reply 4):

IMHO these days nearly all carriers in North America provide similar level and quality of service - both legacies and LCCs. So I do not see any difference type/name wise, whom to sign an interline with - WS, WN or, say, VX.

Quoting AA767LOVER (Reply 15):
But YYC-DXB makes far more sense on the West than SEA-DXB even if YYC-DXB operated twice weekly frequencies with oil patch workers. It can really make Calgary a powerhouse. Mayor Nenshi should try to court EK into Calgary to feed the West Coast flights rather than everything via YYZ. YYC-DXB could see a 77L on the route.

Yes, it would be beneficial for Alberta. I do not really understand common Canadian stance "what we have now is already good for you". I think though most people even in Canada would prefer to be given a choice and choose, rather than be told that what we have is good.

Quoting YXXMIKE (Reply 16):
I can't help but think of a book title, "shake hands with the devil". After the fight and heat the federal government took to protect Canadian interests WS goes and signs an interline deal. I find it interesting and I think that this really serves no real purpose other than for EK to gain extra ground in the Canadian market, and they'll dance with anybody so WS was the suitor.

Lol. Now WS is almost a traitor. What label will they carry next - a "political prostitute'? Yes, it can strengthen the case of EK in their fight for frequency increase, some visibility for WS, with next to zero costs. EK can also provide some pax for WS flights out of YYZ. And maybe YYC if/when EK get there.

anrec80

Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:32 am

Quoting anrec80 (Reply 17):
I find it interesting and I think that this really serves no real purpose other than for EK to gain extra ground in the Canadian market, and they'll dance with anybody so WS was the suitor. This deal makes little sense for WS, I just don't know how many of the their clients will want to fly YMM - YYC - YYZ - DXB - Other? When a YMM - YEG - LHR - xyz would work just as well?

A place like YMM is isolated, and living there does get tough at times. It's in direct interest of Canada and Alberta to help such places become more attractive and populated, and anything that can help people there is of value. What can work better than YMM-YEG-LHR-xyz? Having a choice between YYM-YEG-LHR-xyz and YMM-YYC-DXB-xyz. When living in those places, you hit things like non-working schedules, full flights, unaffordable fares a whole lot more than one would want. So it certainly is in interest of YMM economy to have EK coming to YYC or even YEG, and have a connection to that flight.

aquariusHKG

Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:52 am

Quoting connies4ever (Reply 9):
- interline already with CX I believe.

Actually CX codeshare with Westjet

Byrdluvs747

Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:56 am

I think this is further evidence that WS is sliding away from the LCC model

There is no definition that states an LCC can't interline or codeshare.
The 747: The hands who designed it were guided by god.

c172akula

Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:09 pm

Well since we are using YMM as the example I would say there are quite a lot of options currently for them:

-YMM--YEG-LHR (AC)

-YMM-YYC-LHR (on AC and BA)
-YMM-YYC-FRA (on AC and LH)
-YMM-YYC-AMS (KL)
-YMM-YYC-NRT (AC)

I find using YMM somewhat unrealistic, as by far the majority of workers up there are from Canada. I can't see many of them hopping across the pond (with a few exceptions) to go home.

Mayor Nenshi should try to court EK into Calgary to feed the West Coast flights rather than everything via YYZ.

Not too much our mayor can do about this, since it is a federal matter. Besides, he has his hands full trying to get more money out of the province and the feds for infrastructure deficit improvements.

yyz717

Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:43 pm

Quoting YXD172 (Reply 7):
Considering the terminal set-up in YYZ, for canadian outbound PAX I can't think of any worse of a connection to make. Sure, your bags will be checked through, but you still have to take the train between the terminals and then head back through security.

Maybe EK will switch to T3.

I was a little surprised with this one since WJ is Canada's LCC.

No surprise. The label LCC is misleading. WJ already has a code-share agreement with AA for instance, and their inflight service is as good as AC's.
I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

Viscount724

Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:19 pm

Quoting C172Akula (Reply 21):
Well since we are using YMM as the example I would say there are quite a lot of options currently for them:

-YMM--YEG-LHR (AC)

-YMM-YYC-LHR (on AC and BA)
-YMM-YYC-FRA (on AC and LH)
-YMM-YYC-AMS (KL)
-YMM-YYC-NRT (AC)

Don't forget AC also has 2 daily A319 nonstops YMM-YYZ where they can connect to their entire Europe network, plus the many other transatlantic carriers serving YYZ.

yegbey01

Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:33 pm

Now I find it ridiculous that this thread has become focused on YMM. YMM is a tiny tiny market.

EK or WJ did not have YMM in their mind when they decided to interline.

longhauler

Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:58 pm

But YYC-DXB makes far more sense on the West than SEA-DXB even if YYC-DXB operated twice weekly frequencies with oil patch workers.

EK and EY were offered YYC, and YVR which they declined. This was in addition to YYZ.

This is a common practise in Canada, to "share the wealth". Trying not to be so "Toronto-centric". So when EK and EY were stating their vision of Western Canadian expansions, (as an excuse for more YYZ) their bluff was called and western Canadian access was offered. Clearly EK and EY want nothing other than YYZ in huge amounts.

I think people are reading too much into the interline agreement signed between the two carriers. It is nothing more than a tariff set with both governments allowing a seamless fare. For example, AC has hundreds of such agreements with airlines around the world.

Quoting yyz717 (Reply 22):
Maybe EK will switch to T3.

Is there a gate at T3 which can handle an A380?
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

yyz717

Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:17 pm

Quoting longhauler (Reply 25):
I think people are reading too much into the interline agreement signed between the two carriers. It is nothing more than a tariff set with both governments allowing a seamless fare. For example, AC has hundreds of such agreements with airlines around the world.

Agreed. This is no big deal. The codeshare with AA is bigger news.

Not sure. Perhaps not.
I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

YXD172

Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:29 pm

I don't think so, at least not without taking up two gates at once - and it would definitely be main-deck loading only, with only one door in use at that! (There are no double jetbridges at T3)

I can't help but think of a book title, "shake hands with the devil". After the fight and heat the federal government took to protect Canadian interests WS goes and signs an interline deal. I find it interesting and I think that this really serves no real purpose other than for EK to gain extra ground in the Canadian market, and they'll dance with anybody so WS was the suitor.

Here's something to think about: I just found out through EK's website that they already interline with AC. So really, not much of an impact on anything other than access for WS to a little international feed. And with AC already in the same terminal as EK...

I don't really see the reasoning for EK to do this, as WS won't increase the number of Canadian connecting destinations. Maybe some better timed connecting flights for EK to offer?

ytz

Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:03 pm

I don't know why people keep describing WS as an LCC. Westjet is not Ryanair, Easyjet or even Southwest. It's just less of a full service airline than AC. But LCC? Not by service. Not by fares.

ytz

Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:06 pm

Clearly EK and EY want nothing other than YYZ in huge amounts.

Exactly. Nenshi can try and woo EK and/or EY to YYC. And I am willing to bet that if he was successful that the federal government would be more than happy to grant EK and EY more rights to YYC.

However, given that EK and EY are destined to pretty much not fly any long-haul with less than 300 seats in the future, it's rather difficult to make the case for daily service to YYC (and we all know that these airlines prefer to offer daily services if they can help it). YVR maybe. But YYC would a stretch.

After all, how many folks from YYC are bound for Asia and would rather transit through DXB than simply going westbound? From Western Canada, DXB is really only valuable when travelling to South Asia and the southern and western parts of the Middle East. And that probably isn't enough of a draw for EK and EY to offer direct DXB-YYC service.

I think this is a simple but smart play. EK is going to use WS to lobby for more YYZ rights by getting WS to claim that the lack of rights is limiting its feed business to EK at YYZ. With YYZ already fairly busy for EK, it won't be long before we see some bellyaching, errr lobbying by WS for more EK rights at YYZ. This is a devil's pact to thump AC. I'm not going to suggest its wrong. Business is business. But let's not pretend that either EK or WS is doing something great for Canadians here.

yyz717

Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:56 pm

Quoting YTZ (Reply 29):
EK is going to use WS to lobby for more YYZ rights by getting WS to claim that the lack of rights is limiting its feed business to EK at YYZ.

As much as I intensely dislike EK's business philosophy and market distorting behaviour, I see this interline agreement as a simple, common agreement that will perhaps add a small amount of revenue to each airline.

I do not see WS being used as a tool to bargain on EK's behalf with the Cdn government.

Viscount724

Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:42 pm

Quoting YTZ (Reply 28):
I don't know why people keep describing WS as an LCC. Westjet is not Ryanair, Easyjet or even Southwest. It's just less of a full service airline than AC. But LCC? Not by service. Not by fares.

Most industry observers consider WS a LCC. Without a premium class product, no airport lounges, a second (or third)-rate frequent flyer program, no alliance links, they'll never dent AC's important business markets.

WS modelled themselves on Southwest in their original business plan. In my opinion they should have stuck to that plan. Many people don't know what WS is trying to be now.

WestJet747

Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:38 am

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 31):
Most industry observers consider WS a LCC. Without a premium class product, no airport lounges, a second (or third)-rate frequent flyer program, no alliance links, they'll never dent AC's important business markets.

They'll never dent AC's *international* business markets. I fly YYZ-YUL frequently with WS (actually, ONLY with WS) and I find that an overwhelming majority of the pax to be business travelers. I only speak to daytime flights though, I don't think I have ever flown this route outside of regular business hours.

One thing I note on these flights is that yield is pretty low. Would it be wise to consolidate a couple of the 10 flights per day to fill up their 737's? A positive would obviously be the increased yield, but I can see a negative being the loss of some business travel since they offer less flexibility with departure times.

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 31):
WS modelled themselves on Southwest in their original business plan. In my opinion they should have stuck to that plan. Many people don't know what WS is trying to be now.

Agreed. They've deviated pretty heavily from what they used to brand themselves as.

WS has partnerships with lounges in Vancouver, Calgary, Winnipeg, Toronto, Montreal, and Quebec City for a discounted fee. They are the only "LCC" I've flown that offers this service.

Also, on quite a few occasions I have received complimentary domestic beers and wines on domestic flights, definitely not typical of an LCC. Almost looks like they're trying to take a few pages out of PD's book!
Flying refined.

longhauler

Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:40 am

Quoting WestJet747 (Reply 32):
Almost looks like they're trying to take a few pages out of PD's book!

I would guess they are trying to be more like Canadi>n.
(I hope they have better luck)
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

czbbflier

Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:01 am

Quoting longhauler (Reply 33):
I hope they have better luck

A little Off Topic: They should have better luck: they don't have a "Wardair"-like competitor to buy out, only then to be saddled with monstrous debt.

JoeCanuck

Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:17 am

I think you will see some type of announcement fairly soon (perhaps 6 months) of a front cabin for the 73G/738s, but perhaps not the 736s. That way they will be able to accomodate the flow of premium pax from their interline partners and score the revenue share therein.

I think you're right. I can see premium economy and maybe getting into an alliance.

I just don't know how many of the their clients will want to fly YMM - YYC - YYZ - DXB - Other? When a YMM - YEG - LHR - xyz would work just as well? You can blast me all you want, but I just don't see the upside to this deal for anybody except EK.

No reason to blast...this gives the passenger a choice...same number of stops...maybe some price warfare to further help the consumer. There might be a routing advantage of one over the other for some customers.

WS can only expand so far domestically. Scoring overseas connections has the potential to boost business.

Quoting aquariusHKG (Reply 19):
Actually CX codeshare with Westjet

As does AA...perhaps OneWorld...?

Quoting C172Akula (Reply 21):

Not too much our mayor can do about this, since it is a federal matter. Besides, he has his hands full trying to get more money out of the province and the feds for infrastructure deficit improvements.

The new runway and 380 capable international terminal won't hurt.

Quoting YTZ (Reply 29):

However, given that EK and EY are destined to pretty much not fly any long-haul with less than 300 seats in the future, it's rather difficult to make the case for daily service to YYC (and we all know that these airlines prefer to offer daily services if they can help it). YVR maybe. But YYC would a stretch.

I used to fly YYC-DXB. There is a ton of traffic on that route. There is a huge Canadian, (centered in Calgary), petroleum oriented presence in the middle east and DXB makes a good hub.

I think if there is going to be a next destination for EK in Canada, it will be YYC over YVR.
What the...?

YXXMIKE

Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:40 am

Quoting YXD172 (Reply 27):
Here's something to think about: I just found out through EK's website that they already interline with AC. So really, not much of an impact on anything other than access for WS to a little international feed. And with AC already in the same terminal as EK...

I didn't know that, so I checked out both websites to see if they actually offer it any flights. Did a YVR - DXB and EK puts you through IAH with CO and AC puts you through FRA with LH. Neither AC or EK offer each other on their website, so I'm sure it was a deal which was signed long before but it's certainly not available. Given the fact that AC has a much better offering for EK first class passengers than WS you'd think that might be something that they would consider to be important. However, I think EK is looking to spill some AC blood, they want Canada and in particular YYZ and they'd like to suck as much life out of AC and every other competitor.

Quoting JoeCanuck (Reply 35):
I think you're right. I can see premium economy and maybe getting into an alliance.

Yeah, I think WS has been going through this identity crisis and isn't sure what to do. However I do agree that they could be shopping around for an alliance and looking at a possible premium product. When they do that, and if they can come up with a comprehensive FF program they'll start really clawing at AC bread and butter.

Canada needs WS just as much as it needs AC. I just don't believe we need EK and their destructive business model of flooding markets with huge amounts of seats. They don't play on a level playing field with their competitors and as much as they'd like to deny how much the pay for fuel, I'm sure they're not short of subsides at home (and I have no proof, just a personal opinion).

YXD172

Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:15 am

Quoting YXXMIKE (Reply 36):
Neither AC or EK offer each other on their website, so I'm sure it was a deal which was signed long before but it's certainly not available

Trying YWG-DXB on a Monday, Wednesday or Friday (the only days that YYZ-DXB operates) booking through EK's site.

I get
AC268 to YYZ, connecting to EK242 two hours and a bit later. (Nov 14)
Return on EK241 to YYZ, connecting to AC269 three hours later to get you to YWG. (Nov 21)

Connections from YEG are also routed through YYZ, though as you said YVR isn't. Maybe it's shorter to go westbound from there? Of course, AC doesn't mention or sell any interline tickets with EK... funny that!

fly2yyz

Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:47 am

Quoting WestJet747 (Reply 32):
Also, on quite a few occasions I have received complimentary domestic beers and wines on domestic flights, definitely not typical of an LCC. Almost looks like they're trying to take a few pages out of PD's book!

Did you notice that this was only on the YUL-YYZ flights? WS offers Wine, and Beer complimentary on their triangle flights a la PD. They also implemented a set of "smart business" policies i.e standby for an earlier flight on the same day with no fee, if you miss your flight within two hours they will put you on the next avail flight at no cost etc...

These are definitely policies that LCCs do not offer...ever! But I gotta say being on one of their 737s with only 20 pax... kinda makes me wonder how well these flights are doing.

WestJet747

Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:23 am

Quoting fly2yyz (Reply 38):
Did you notice that this was only on the YUL-YYZ flights? WS offers Wine, and Beer complimentary on their triangle flights a la PD.

To be honest, 95% of my WS flights are YYZ-YUL return and I have never noticed   

Quoting fly2yyz (Reply 38):
They also implemented a set of "smart business" policies i.e standby for an earlier flight on the same day with no fee, if you miss your flight within two hours they will put you on the next avail flight at no cost etc...

I was never made aware of this policy (as I've never missed a flight)! I appreciate the information   
Flying refined.