tmcn
Topic Author

When Will EK Start BRU-DXB?

Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:37 am

Both EY and QR run what seem to be profitable routes from BRU to AUH and DOH. I already flew with them and the planes are pretty full, with most passengers on transit to India, the Far East and Australia. Since DXB is more popular final destination (touristical and business) than AUH and DOH, and EK offers a much bigger network than its competitors, why is EK waiting to open a BRU route? Or are there any plans to start flying on BRU any time soon? Still no direct flight out of BRU to DXB today: either go to AUH and then a 1h15min drive to Dubai, or fly through FRA, MUC, AMS, LHR,... which adds more than 2hrs to what a direct flight could offer.

sf260

RE: When Will EK Start BRU-DXB?

Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:03 am

Probably a few more years, remember they only started operating AMS last year. Then there is Dusseldorf close by, which is as convenient as BRU for people living in Dutch/Belgian Limburg and Liege/Aachen Area. Then from Brussels and Antwerp there are very good train connections to Paris and Amsterdam.

I don't think BRU is high on the priority list of EK...

CXfirst

RE: When Will EK Start BRU-DXB?

Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:20 pm

Quoting sf260 (Reply 1):
remember they only started operating AMS last year.

Keep in mind, EK were restricted to a set number of frequencies into AMS, and opted to use them for cargo, thats the main reason EK took so long before going into AMS.

When it comes to BRU, it could happen this month, it could take many years. I'm sure EK will go into BRU eventually, but it depends on availability of aircraft, and what other routes they want to start. With EY and QR on the route, maybe EK will go for markets where they get (nearly) complete domination of the route first, before competing.

If I was to guess, I would say that EK will definitely be in by 3 years time, and I would put my money on as soon as next year (announcement, with operations beginning by end of 2012 or beginning of 2013).

-CXfirst