polaris

Martinair To Canada

Thu Oct 05, 2000 6:19 am

On October 4th, the Canadian Transportation Agency approved Martinair's request to operate scheduled international passenger services between Amsterdam and Toronto and between Amsterdam and Calgary and/or Edmonton and/or Vancouver. This approval is for the period from 2001 March 25 until 2001 October 27. No local traffic may be carried between points in Canada.

Louis

RE: Martinair To Canada

Thu Oct 05, 2000 9:28 am

I thought Martinair already flew to Edmonton?

Thu Oct 05, 2000 9:58 am

Last week, MP started a B767 AMS-Puerto Valarta service with en-route crew change at YMX. No traffic rights, of course, between Canada and the south.

T.

mel

Thu Oct 05, 2000 11:35 am

I think Martinair operates summer-only charters running Amsterdam-Edmonton-Vancouver-Amsterdam and Amsterdam-Calgary-Vancouver-Amsterdam with 767-300s. Not sure about the Toronto frequency.
NO URLS in signature

Marco

Thu Oct 05, 2000 12:23 pm

correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Martinair already have a daily flight to Toronto arriving in the evening? By the way this is for Toronto spotters, it must be cool to go to the airport at night, you guys can see BA,LH,MP,CX and KE (4X weely)...I'd love to see those planes!
Proud to be an Assyrian!

slawko

Thu Oct 05, 2000 12:38 pm

Yeah it's great, just to bad that it is so late at night KE/CX leave near midnight most of the time.....

Martinair flies on a charter basis to YYZ, now it will be sched.
"Clive Beddoe says he favours competition, but his actions do not support that idea." Robert Milton - CEO Air Canada

Marco

Thu Oct 05, 2000 7:16 pm

wow, so slawko that means their charters to canada are doing well, right?
Proud to be an Assyrian!

polaris

Fri Oct 06, 2000 1:24 am

Yes, Martinair serves Edmonton but on a charter basis only. This is approval for scheduled service for the period mentioned in the agreement.
Martinair's current charter service to Toronto is not daily.

Samurai 777

Fri Oct 06, 2000 2:22 am

Polaris, you're right Martinair serves Edmonton on a charter basis only. I have a feeling that if the demand warranted, scheduled service would follow. But I wouldn't exactly hold my breath, though - Edmonton's had a hard time getting international service enough as it is, even though the airport authority has been fighting for it tooth and claw. Martinair already has a ticket counter at YEG, so that is not a problem should scheduled service be approved.

MEL, that's true about what you said, but Martinair has also been seen flying MD-11s into YEG and YYC, too.

polaris

Fri Oct 06, 2000 2:41 am

Scheduled service to Edmonton has been approved as noted in my original post. It is now up to Martinair as to which of the approved cities they choose and what schedule they will follow.

Edmonton Airport authority supported the bid but Air Canada and Air Transat had some opposition because this is outside the bilateral between the Netherlands and Canada. Edmonton was not on the list of cities that Martinair could serve on a scheduled basis. That's why approval was granted for only a few months. Canadian carriers felt this would provide an additional benefit for Martinair without giving Canadian carriers addition benefits from the Dutch.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos