FutureUScapt
Topic Author

DL To Cut Service From MEM To 7 Additional Cities

Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:18 am

Effective 04Jan, DL will discontinue service from MEM to the following seven cities:

BWI (currently 2 daily)
ECP (1)
GPT (1)
GRR (1)
ICT (1)
MOB (2)
SEA (1 - mainline)

DL will also cut one frequency each to CLE, EWR, HSV, JAX, PHL, and SHV. All told, peak day departures will fall from 164 to 149 and the number of destinations served will fall from 65 to 58. Six of those 149 are flights to the EAS cities of GLH, PIB, and TUP of which DL is awaiting approval to end.

BD338

RE: DL To Cut Service From MEM To 7 Additional Cities

Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:32 am

Unsurprising. So DL quest to put all its southeast eggs in one basket and force everyone through Atlanta takes another step forward. How much longer can the AMS flight continue?

DeltaMD90

Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:46 am

Quoting BD338 (Reply 1):
So DL quest to put all its southeast eggs in one basket and force everyone through Atlanta takes another step forward.

What you say makes sense, but I just don't think it works like that in the airline industry. If it was just DL, I'd have second thoughts, but AA is cutting back STL, CO/UA is cutting CLE, DL is also cutting CVG... on paper having a stress reliever hub makes sense but the track record for them doesn't really seem to hold up.

I don't think any of the cities I mentioned will be completely dehubbed, just be a strong O/D market for each of these carriers...
Ironically I have never flown a Delta MD-90 :)

flyguy89

Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:47 am

Well this is just sad. Do we know if some of these are seasonal or not?

Quoting FutureUScapt (Thread starter):

BWI (currently 2 daily)

Hard to believe this is being cut completely, it's a pretty major market....cue WN possibly?

SEA (1 - mainline)

Again, difficult to believe this will go as one of MEM's last remaining strengths as a hub is transitting midwest and southeast pax out west.

Quoting BD338 (Reply 1):
How much longer can the AMS flight continue?

Not much longer at this pace IMO, it's already been reduced to what? 4x weekly for the winter?

smoot4208

Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:03 am

With these cuts, I'm sure the seasonal service to EVV, CID, ATW, and LNK will not come back next summer. I see AMS soldiering on through next labor day then ending.

The only surprising cut in that group is BWI. With SFO and SAN already gone and PHX down to just 1 flight, I'm not shocked to see SEA get the axe.

slcdeltarumd11

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:03 am

Yeah i think at this point AMS is hanging on by a thread. As feed keeps getting reduced. I see it very hard to see this flight flying past summer 2012 im really sorry to say.

I am gonna try to connect thru MEM and CVG a few times this year to get some old memories back will i can. Anyone know how many mainline fly out of MEM each day? CVG is down to an actually short list too so im guessing MEM is close.

SEA im sad to see go but i think it was a predictable cut and what we all expected. It will just be interesting to see if/when more western flights get cut if Delta chooses to add a few more flights to SLC to offer Western connections or if they just ditch those small markets in Arkansas, Texas, Louisiana, etc that MEM still has/had a very small and useful place in the network connecting to head West but it is fading fast with connection options shrinking so it will be interesting what they decide to do

[Edited 2011-10-10 03:13:27]

slcdeltarumd11

Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:21 am

For an example of MEM slashing EWR-MEM goes from 2xCr9s to 1xCR7 that is a decent amount of seats a year. Sad to see i wonder what will become of that EWR slot? One more to ATL to delay WN from the inevitable entry or what?

m404

Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:27 am

So the largest passenger carrier at MEM has decided that the only west coast worth a non-stop is LAX. No more SFO, SAN and now no SEA. I'm from SEA and had always noticed near full loads. This must speak volumes about the thin line of profit with breakevens at 90 and higher. Oddly the only long distance flight near the coast is LAS. They have three now and would like to know the Jan changes. I'd love to know if FF miles gets any seats on anything but the red eyes.
Less sarcasm and more thought equal better understanding

yyz717

Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:06 am

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 2):
on paper having a stress reliever hub makes sense

Not necessarily. A so-called nearby reliever hub means a duplication of resources (staff, aircraft and flights) and relative inefficiency: anyone living in the south can connect thru ATL to anywhere so what value does the small MEM hub provide? Better to scale back the MEM hub and funnel those pax thru ATL.

Sad to see the MEM hub in decline. Anyone who has connnected thru MEM knows it is a small but efficient (from a pax standpoint) hub with short walks to all gates.

Quoting m404 (Reply 7):
I'm from SEA and had always noticed near full loads. This must speak volumes about the thin line of profit with breakevens at 90 and higher.

Or, DL simply found a better use for an 8-9 hour SEA-MEM v.v. A320 route trip. Perhaps it was just not profitable enough.
I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

slcdeltarumd11

Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:34 am

MEM does still offer service to LAX, LAS, SLC, DEN, and PHX for the western US. It really is shrinking and its connection power/usefulness is really shrinking naturally.

DEN still maintains 2x and i wouldn't be surprised to see that rolled down to 1x after ski season. LAX at 3x i bet we see "right-sized" to 2x as connecting traffic keeps slimming down over time to feed these. SLC will probably maintain 3x for connections

rfields5421

Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:32 pm

Quoting BD338 (Reply 1):
So DL quest to put all its southeast eggs in one basket and force everyone through Atlanta takes another step forward.

Of course. As we used to say "It doesn't matter if you go to Heaven or Hell when you die, you will still have to go through the Atlanta airport."

Cubsrule

Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:53 pm

Quoting slcdeltarumd11 (Reply 9):
DEN still maintains 2x and i wouldn't be surprised to see that rolled down to 1x after ski season. LAX at 3x i bet we see "right-sized" to 2x as connecting traffic keeps slimming down over time to feed these. SLC will probably maintain 3x for connections

DEN probably gets dropped when WN starts it. Not a fight worth having. LAS/PHX might be in the same boat (I tend to think WN will wind up serving PHX but not LAS in the short term, but that's more a sense than anything backed up with empirical evidence).
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

BoeingGuy

Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:21 pm

Quoting m404 (Reply 7):
I'm from SEA and had always noticed near full loads.

The flight was also full when I took it in March. Will AS step up and take over SEA-MEM?

This is why I dislike airline mergers. After the merger gets approved they start gutting service at some places.

diverdave

Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:32 pm

DL will also cut one frequency each to CLE, EWR, HSV, JAX, PHL, and SHV. All told, peak day departures will fall from 164 to 149 and the number of destinations served will fall from 65 to 58. Six of those 149 are flights to the EAS cities of GLH, PIB, and TUP of which DL is awaiting approval to end.

Ouch. That leaves HSV-MEM at 1x and HSV-DTW at 2x. Everything else Delta goes to ATL.

I dread the 6:30 a.m. HSV-ATL flight. More often than not, it pushes back and parks due to flow control at ATL.

David

tommy767

Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:49 pm

Quoting slcdeltarumd11 (Reply 6):

For an example of MEM slashing EWR-MEM goes from 2xCr9s to 1xCR7 that is a decent amount of seats a year. Sad to see i wonder what will become of that EWR slot? One more to ATL to delay WN from the inevitable entry or what?

LAX possibly?
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

atlengineer

Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:01 pm

Quoting m404 (Reply 7):
I'm from SEA and had always noticed near full loads.

The flight was also full when I took it in March. Will AS step up and take over SEA-MEM?

This is why I dislike airline mergers. After the merger gets approved they start gutting service at some places.

What have the load factors been lately? Looks like DL has been downsizing aircraft to match demand. If these and other flights have been covering costs and also generating a reasonable profit, I would think DL would be continuing them.

ATLengineer

FlyPNS1

Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:14 pm

I remember not long ago when a lot of people insisted DL could never route all their southeastern traffic through ATL (and hence needed MEM)...looks like it will soon be true.

I'm somewhat amazed that PNS-MEM is still clinging on when all the markets around us ECP, MOB, VPS will have lost it....especially since there's basically no O+D on the PNS-MEM route.

roseflyer

Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:18 pm

Quoting flyguy89 (Reply 3):
SEA (1 - mainline)

Again, difficult to believe this will go as one of MEM's last remaining strengths as a hub is transitting midwest and southeast pax out west.

SEA is a growing station while MEM is shrinking, so it is sad to see the route go, however MEM did not connect well with any of the flights leaving SEA except NRT which is covered elsewhere in the DL network.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

Glareskin

Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:24 pm

Quoting slcdeltarumd11 (Reply 5):
Yeah i think at this point AMS is hanging on by a thread.

If it is that bad why not cut it now?

BTW which AMS flights from the US does DL have? I know of SEA, ATL, EWR, MSP, DTW. I am not sur if CVG is still alive. And I think there was another NY flight right?
There's still a long way to go before all the alliances deserve a star...

masseybrown

Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:41 pm

Quoting FlyPNS1 (Reply 16):
I remember not long ago when a lot of people insisted DL could never route all their southeastern traffic through ATL (and hence needed MEM)...looks like it will soon be true.

They don't want to redirect all the MEM traffic through ATL, just the business travelers, so as to squeeze out the junk fare traffic and get rid of some 50-seaters in the process.

DeltaMD90

Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:43 pm

Quoting glareskin (Reply 18):
BTW which AMS flights from the US does DL have?

ATL, BOS, DTW, MEM, MSP, EWR, JFK, PDX, SEA
Ironically I have never flown a Delta MD-90 :)

commavia

Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:45 pm

I continue to believe that at some point, you fall below a certain "floor" of critical mass below which the marginal revenue contribution of a hub-banked schedule is no longer sufficient to support the fixed costs of a hub-banked operation.

And, I suspect, Delta is rapidly approaching that point in Memphis (and Cincinnati, as well). I understand that Memphis has insanely low per-enplanement costs because of the long-paid-for terminal and FedEx-subsidized landing fees. But even still, as cheap as it may be to move a passenger through Memphis, it can't possibly be cheaper than moving one over Atlanta on a plane that was already going to Atlanta anyway. The economics of Memphis are even further challenged by the fact that the hub (again, along with Cincinnati) is now nearly entirely based on RJ flying, which is becoming more and more challenging with today's fuel environment.

As Delta continues to shift more and more connections over Atlanta, and in many cases just forces connecting traffic to supplement load factors on existing Atlanta flights, there becomes less and less economic justification for a hub - even a small one - in a second city. There are a few markets that today have flights over Memphis that are large enough and sufficiently far enough west that it may make sense to give those markets 1-2 daily CRJ700s to Salt Lake for west-bound connections where back-tracking to Atlanta may be too far out of the way. But, again, for the vast majority of smaller southeastern markets now served over Memphis, Atlanta is a perfectly suitable alternative connecting point for journeys heading north, east, west, etc.

Memphis is a relatively tiny market anyway for a major U.S. legacy airline hub, and could settle into a more optimized, O&D-focused schedule for Delta with, say:

ATL 6-8x daily
DTW 3x daily
MSP 3x daily
LGA 3x daily
SLC 3x daily
DCA 2x daily
LAX 2x daily
LAS 1x daily
FLL 1x daily
MCO 1x daily

I could imagine something along those lines.

Flighty

Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:47 pm

Quoting BD338 (Reply 1):
Unsurprising. So DL quest to put all its southeast eggs in one basket and force everyone through Atlanta takes another step forward.

Once upon a time, there were two suppliers. Then, they got together in a dark room. "What if we charged high prices to the entire region?" they asked each other. "Mua-ha-ha-ha."

"Then, we can retire your business Memphis, and save costs on that! Since it's very expensive to duplicate a hub, we stand to reap many years of cost savings, and revenue monopoly!"

The government overheard this and approved!

"Well done, ATL!"

"Now about that pesky Airtran..."

"Good news there too..."

The government heard about this last detail, and approved it as well!

point2point

Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:50 pm

All told, peak day departures will fall from 164 to 149 and the number of destinations served will fall from 65 to 58. Six of those 149 are flights to the EAS cities of GLH, PIB, and TUP of which DL is awaiting approval to end.
Quoting commavia (Reply 21):

ATL 6-8x daily
DTW 3x daily
MSP 3x daily
LGA 3x daily
SLC 3x daily
DCA 2x daily
LAX 2x daily
LAS 1x daily
FLL 1x daily
MCO 1x daily

I could imagine something along those lines.

WOW! From 149 to about 30 flights, and from 58 cities to 10.

WN, anyone?

Glareskin

Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:53 pm

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 20):

ATL, BOS, DTW, MEM, MSP, EWR, JFK, PDX, SEA

So CVG is killed? And what about the airport close to New York (I forgot the name)Are SEA and PDX separate flights?
There's still a long way to go before all the alliances deserve a star...

BoeingGuy

Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:59 pm

Quoting glareskin (Reply 18):
I am not sur if CVG is still alive.

DL still does CVG-CDG as the only remaining CVG-Europe flight, but stopped CVG-AMS several years ago.

peanuts

Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:10 pm

Quoting point2point (Reply 23):
WN, anyone?

WN is certainly not the answer to every challenge. They got their plate pretty full.

Quoting commavia (Reply 21):
And, I suspect, Delta is rapidly approaching that point in Memphis (and Cincinnati, as well).

Well articulated post.
The economic environment simply doesn't warrant MEM and CVG in its current form. It's a major redundancy.

DL does need to prepare and arm itself for a healthy battle with WN at ATL.
MEM as a hub as is will not fit into this picture. My guess is MEM would just be a distraction for DL in this scenario.

Both MEM and CVG could be decent sized focus cities though.

BD338

Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:38 pm

Quoting diverdave (Reply 13):
Ouch. That leaves HSV-MEM at 1x

wow, I remember when I lived in HSV, NW flew 3 or maybe even 4 flights a day. I also remember when the flights were upgraded to ARJs from the Saabs. What do they use at the moment? CRJs?

Quoting diverdave (Reply 13):

I dread the 6:30 a.m. HSV-ATL flight. More often than not, it pushes back and parks due to flow control at ATL.

..and I remember that all too well also. But, the descent point into ATL from the west is almost directly over HSV so getting into the flow was always a challange depending on the time of day.

jetlanta

Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:54 pm

I think it is also fair to say that not many people figured we'd see yet another year of shrinking domestic legacy carrier capacity, driven by the economic environment and fuel prices. If you are cutting a few percentage points of capacity every year, eventually you have to start making hard choices. In a contraction environment, any airline is going to hold the fort at its core franchise locations (ATL, NYC, DTW, MSP). The more competitive ones are going to see the least impact (ATL & NYC). DTW and MSP are not nearly so attractive to competitors, so there is a little wiggle room in terms of aircraft size, etc. But CVG and MEM are clearly duplicative and, in this environment, endangered.

If the slot swap gets finalized, it is going to get really interesting.

boeing6594

Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:17 pm

It's a shame, I enjoyed connecting through MEM, small terminal, easy connections. Does anyone know if DL has given up any gates in MEM yet?

dsuairptman

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:18 pm

Effective 04Jan, DL will discontinue service from MEM to the following seven cities:

BWI (currently 2 daily)
ECP (1)
GPT (1)
GRR (1)
ICT (1)
MOB (2)
SEA (1 - mainline)

Farewell GPT-MEM, the longest cotinusley served route from GPT dating back to the days of Southern Airways DC-3s.

This was also my first flight ever, in 1989 on a NW DC-9 en route to DCA and a route I flew many more times when I was in college and my short lived days in MEM afterwards.

Either ATL or IAH will become the new longest continuesly served route, I'm not sure which, but in either case will have years to go before catching up to the lenght of the GPT-MEM run.

Maybe for old times sake they could bring a D95 back for the grand finale   I know, probably wishful thinking.
GEAUX SAINTS!

fanoftristars

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:35 pm

Quoting BD338 (Reply 1):
How much longer can the AMS flight continue?

I don't know, but we could sure use SLC-AMS. I think it would do well!

I can't understand the business model to "cut our way to profitability". I read a good book on marketing about this. In any business there are often times of contraction based on economic conditions, but a business that is based continually on contraction to maintain profitability is not sustainable in the long run, unless you can buy all of your competitors.

If Delta wanted to truly be the great airline it says it is, Delta will need to create a product that's different, a product with an emotional connection. It will have to create a product that polarizes customers (Southwest anyone? You rarely here indifference about WN. You either love WN's model or you hate it, but it's there and although they've cut service, it's been nothing like the majors).

Responding to market conditions is important, but creating your own market conditions is far better. Their commercials say that everyone has planes, etc, but it's our service that lets us stand out. Well, that may be true in the front cabin, but it certainly isn't in coach (I've spent a lot of time in the back this year since I dropped to Gold Medallion). If I recall, there are still lots of coach seats on the plane and if Delta want's to differentiate itself from the others, they've got to step it up with all their passengers, not just premium passengers. Delta has lots of great employees, but there are several that don't realize that their actions/attitudes/inaction can dramatically affect who someone chooses to fly with if ticket prices and schedules are similar.

Otherwise, we're going to see more cuts. More cuts in the Atlantic, more cuts in the Pacific. More cuts domestically and the end of MEM and CVG. Delta doesn't have to worry about losing customers to other airlines, but also losing customers to people deciding not to travel. Wouldn't it be nice for once to see an airline that's growing, that's adding new planes, not just to retire the old ones, but because that new flight to XXX is doing great, an airline that's adding bigger planes to certain routes to try and meet the demand, an airline that can charge a premium on those seats because customers enjoy their experience flying. Wouldn't it be great?
"FLY DELTA JETS"

diverdave

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:48 pm

Quoting BD338 (Reply 27):
wow, I remember when I lived in HSV, NW flew 3 or maybe even 4 flights a day. I also remember when the flights were upgraded to ARJs from the Saabs. What do they use at the moment? CRJs?

It's been all 50 seat CRJs for quite some time. I remember flying Republic out of Huntsville when I first moved there. I flew Northwest out of HSV shortly before the station was downgraded from mainline, and the staff was very sad. Some of them had been there many years.

I'll be flying HSV-MEM-SEA in a few weeks. Sorry to see MEM going down like this, but as Jetlanta says, nobody forecast the current business environment.

David

FlyPNS1

Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:16 pm

Quoting jetlanta (Reply 28):
I think it is also fair to say that not many people figured we'd see yet another year of shrinking domestic legacy carrier capacity, driven by the economic environment and fuel prices.

True, though I believe that MEM (and CVG) would eventually have died even if the economy was good. The bottomline is that DL can make greater profits aggregating traffic through ATL (or DTW in CVG's case).

If the slot swap gets finalized, it is going to get really interesting.

Very true. Ever since the slot swap was announced, I've expected it would be the death knell for either CVG or MEM. Interestingly enough, I expect we'll be hearing about the slot swap very soon.

blackearth

Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:56 pm

"Farewell GPT-MEM, the longest cotinusley served route from GPT dating back to the days of Southern Airways DC-3s.

This was also my first flight ever, in 1989 on a NW DC-9 en route to DCA and a route I flew many more times when I was in college and my short lived days in MEM afterwards.

Either ATL or IAH will become the new longest continuesly served route, I'm not sure which, but in either case will have years to go before catching up to the lenght of the GPT-MEM run.

Maybe for old times sake they could bring a D95 back for the grand finale I know, probably wishful thinking."

----Yeah, I remember some of those old Southern Airways DC-9 milk runs from MEM to MSY. Seems like one of them did stops in Jackson and then GPT on the way to New Orleans. I recall at one point stopping in perhaps Greenville at one point as well.

belizexp

Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:13 pm

Quoting glareskin (Reply 24):
what about the airport close to New York

I take it your talking about BDL........but it not serve non-stop anymore.
Belize my home sweet home...

ChiGB1973

Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:07 am

Quoting atlengineer (Reply 15):
What have the load factors been lately? Looks like DL has been downsizing aircraft to match demand. If these and other flights have been covering costs and also generating a reasonable profit, I would think DL would be continuing them.

Not sure about load factors?

Was Delta downsizing to meet demand or decrease supply and increase demand? Chasing demand downward couldn't be good. Rightsizing is important, but now that MEM-SEA is being discontinued, seems like downsizing was a last ditch effort to maintain the flight. DL tried to make it work?

M

n7371f

Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:48 am

Just making certain that MEM-SEA is being permanently discontinued...The route was almost always axed in January under NW until April or so.

FSDan

Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:49 am

I'm not surprised by this (other than BWI being cut), although it is sad. However, I think it makes sense to cut from MEM rather than from CVG since the latter is basically down to O&D now, and the O&D is worth hanging onto (P&G, Kroger, 5/3 Bancorp, Macy's, etc.). MEM just doesn't have as much lucrative business traffic.
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

FL787

Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:07 am

Quoting n7371f (Reply 37):

It's going to be summer seasonal.

WROORD

Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:12 am

Airline executives always say that nothing will change pre-merger and always a couple of years post mergers they keep announcing service cuts. If it is not fuel it is economy or something else. The same will happen at CVG and CLE. AA practically has no flights left at STL.

JohnJ

Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:19 am

From the Memphis Commercial Appeal (the city's main newspaper) in today's edition:

"Delta announced in March it would cut 25 percent of its flights, 8-10 percent of its Memphis capacity, by year’s end. And last month, Delta said it would trim capacity system-wide by another 2-3 percent, but at the time didn’t indicate which markets would be affected. The most recent rounds of cuts were first reported by an industry website, Airliners.net."

Full article:

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news...aid-be-eliminating-direct-service/

[Edited 2011-10-10 19:19:35]

SANFan

Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:39 am

Quoting n7371f (Reply 37):
Just making certain that MEM-SEA is being permanently discontinued...The route was almost always axed in January under NW until April or so
Quoting FL787 (Reply 39):
It's going to be summer seasonal

Just to clarify: the SEA-MEM cut is simply a normal seasonal reduction and it should not really be included in the OP list of cities?

bb

LambertMan

Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:08 am

Quoting fanoftristars (Reply 31):

I don't know, but we could sure use SLC-AMS. I think it would do well!

Aside from the fact that the route is a terrible operational proposition, has there ever been a bigger cultural mismatch in terms of destination pairs? Not that it matters given the connecting opportunities, but just saying....

As for Memphis, I hate to see the cuts from a selfish standpoint and, as Commavia so astutely pointed out earlier, the operation is nearing a danger zone when the mass is not present to support a hub and spoke operation. I can't even remember a true hub and spoke operation at the size that Memphis will be.

A rolling hub operation, similar to what American operated in St. Louis for nearly 6 years, is probably not an option. It would entail all of about 60 or 70 daily flights to markets that would offer very little traffic flow, strategic gain, or financial benefit.

I hate to say this - but it's time to start planning for life after the hub if you're Memphis officials. Further complicating the situation is that no legacy carrier is poised to invest in the market and with Southwest moving in on Atlanta,, it could make for a lean period of time in Memphis.

FutureUScapt
Topic Author

Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:46 am

Quoting SANFan (Reply 42):

Just to clarify: the SEA-MEM cut is simply a normal seasonal reduction and it should not really be included in the OP list of cities?

Nope, it should be included. It was flown year-round in 2010/2011 albeit at a reduced frequency in the winter. Now it appears, the flight will only operate in the peak summer months.

HPRamper

Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:50 am

Quoting WROORD (Reply 40):
The same will happen at CVG and CLE. AA practically has no flights left at STL.

On mainline, the only non-hub flights left are to LGA and DCA. However, Cape Air flies quite a few routes for AA out of STL. It's still somewhat of a regional focus in that regard.

LV

Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:53 am

Quoting JohnJ (Reply 41):
The most recent rounds of cuts were first reported by an industry website, Airliners.net."

Wow... what a poor piece of research to call this an 'industry website'.

mayor

Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:25 am

Quoting fanoftristars (Reply 31):
Wouldn't it be nice for once to see an airline that's growing, that's adding new planes, not just to retire the old ones, but because that new flight to XXX is doing great, an airline that's adding bigger planes to certain routes to try and meet the demand, an airline that can charge a premium on those seats because customers enjoy their experience flying. Wouldn't it be great?

I suppose you would if the economy was in better shape. Why is WN cutting many of the FL cities?? I suppose it's because they're money losers. Could it be that DL is doing the same thing?  
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

fanoftristars

Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:50 am

Quoting mayor (Reply 47):
Could it be that DL is doing the same thing?

What percent of seats/flights has DL cut vs WN in the last two years? I wouldn't call their cuts the same thing. I know the two airlines are apples to oranges, but if DL is the apple, then they should focus on being the best apple out there, not cutting away at themselves to provide short term profitability to shareholders. That's my point.
"FLY DELTA JETS"

PSU.DTW.SCE

Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:29 am

I think it is also fair to say that not many people figured we'd see yet another year of shrinking domestic legacy carrier capacity, driven by the economic environment and fuel prices. If you are cutting a few percentage points of capacity every year, eventually you have to start making hard choices

This is very true. Capacity across the industry is going down, and as you said they're retrenching to the core.