commavia
Topic Author

Delta Gets DOT Approval For LGA Slot Swap

Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:15 pm

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-10-11/delta-wins-approval-to-build-laguardia-hub-as-u-s-backs-flight-slot-trade.html?cmpid=yhoo

News article implies this is now a done-deal, according to a Delta SEC filing submitted today.

"The accord gives Delta 132 more LaGuardia slot pairs and control of about half the flights there, in exchange for swapping 42 of its pairs at Washington’s Ronald Reagan National Airport with US Airways, the U.S. Department of Transportation said today in a filing. The carriers must divest 24 pairs to smaller rivals, 16 at LaGuardia and eight at National."

[Edited 2011-10-11 14:17:20]

AV8AJET

Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:31 pm

When will these flights get swapped? Early or mid '12?
"To fly or not to fly there is no question!"

gdg9

Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:05 pm

Quoting commavia (Thread starter):
Delta 132 more LaGuardia slot pairs and control of about half the flights there,

So Delta will make up half of LGA traffic? Wow. Not sure how that promotes competition?

NYCAdvantage

Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:10 pm

Not really surprising, I guess up to now this has been a great week for Delta, Yesterday I read they won best US business class by Business Travel News and today they get the final approval for LGA by the DOT, Congratulation to Delta.

jetlanta

Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:54 pm

BIG, BIG deal for both Delta and US Airways.

FWAERJ

Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:56 pm

I'm surprised that WN wasn't victorious again. But I'm also glad that smaller airports aren't getting the shaft like they would have if WN gobbled up a bunch of prime LGA and DCA slots.

Quoting gdg9 (Reply 2):
So Delta will make up half of LGA traffic? Wow. Not sure how that promotes competition?

Most of the nonstop LGA routes from DL and US don't overlap. Some routes that did have overlap when the swap was first proposed, like LGA-IND, are down to one carrier between DL or US now. And the same goes for US and DL at DCA.

Both DL and US also plan on adding new nonstops from cities with no LGA or DCA service, respectively. In DL's case, much of this will come from upgauged equipment. LGA routes that were flown by US on DH8s and SF3s will now be flown on CR2s and the like, while current CR2/ER4 routes will go to CR7/9s, E-Jets, M88/90s, and A32x depending on the route. Expect a similar situation at DCA with US, but without the turboprop upgrades (DL doesn't fly turboprops into DCA).

Closer to home, I'll also be interested to see how this plays out for FWA and SBN. DCA is a top O&D city from FWA with no nonstop service, and the same goes for SBN and LGA. Could we see DL launch SBN-LGA, or (more intriguingly) the return of US to FWA with DCA and possibly PHL or CLT service? FWA's ASD worked in route planning at US back in the Crystal Palace days. That said, I don't know if FWA-DCA is a high priority route for FWA, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is.

On a side note: As the weakest player of the largest LGA carriers, US has been losing tens of millions of dollars a year at LGA. In fact, it was rumored that Doug Parker called Richard Anderson first when trying to get divest US's LGA slots. Handing the routes over to DL will allow for a stronger competitor to tackle UA (CO) and AA in the NYC market, and will also improve US's cash flow and balance sheet. 98+% of US flights will now originate or terminate at one of their four strongholds with high brand loyalty to US: CLT, DCA, PHL, and PHX.
"Did he really need the triple bypass? Or was it the miles?"

sdexplorer00

Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:57 pm

I find this interesting!

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...dName=governmentFilingsNews&rpc=43

Delta/USAir slot swap plan hits US antitrust snag!

"Oct 11 (Reuters) - A proposal by US Airways and Delta Air Lines to swap a large number of slots at New York and Washington airports hit a snag on Tuesday with U.S. antitrust officials raising questions about the deal's impact on competition.

The Justice Department said in a statement that it found no problems with the carriers' plans for certain slots -- or takeoff and landing rights -- at New York's LaGuardia airport where Delta has a strong presence.

But the government raised concerns about the proposal's impact on consumers at Washington's Reagan National airport where US Airways currently dominates and travelers pay some of the highest fares.

"Under the antitrust laws, the division can and will take appropriate action, if warranted, at the conclusion of its investigation," the agency said in a statement."

ERJ170

Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:01 pm

So, I wonder if RDU will see additional upguage on LGA or if it will maintain at CR7/E70.. right now DL offers 6 70+ seat trips, US offers 6 50 seat trips, and AA offers 8 35-50 seat trips.. Wonder if DL will mix in some 73G or 329 into the mix or increase the number of flights they offer or remain status quo..

Secondaly, and I REALLY wish this would happen but I doubt it, would DL offer 1 daily EWN (New Bern)? I mean, they only offer 2 ATL flights and there is NO nonstop to NYC from EWN (course they could use a 1 daily WAS too)...

Anywho.. interesting..
Aiming High and going far..

mpdpilot

Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:03 pm

Quoting gdg9 (Reply 2):
Not sure how that promotes competition?

I am not sure that the DOT was designed to promote competition. I believe they were simply looking to prevent a monopoly which 50% is not.

Great news for Delta! My question is how much of this will be mainline and how much will be on RJs. With all this talk of restraint in growing capacity, I could see a lot of RJs making their way to LGA. I could also see a lot of back filling US Airways departure requiring a lot of mainline flying so I am curious what the mix up will be. When will we start hearing about Delta annoucing the routes and capacity that is added?
One mile of highway gets you one mile, one mile of runway gets you anywhere.

RyanairGuru

Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:10 pm

After this, what routes will US continue to operate from LGA? Obviously CLT, PHL and DCA. I presume BOS will stay. What else?
Worked Hard, Flew Right

slcdeltarumd11

Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:35 pm

I guarantee you WN is planning as we read this ways to spend money lobbying to get some of those slots at both airports. They got all of the EWR slots when CO/UA had to do this.

It will be interesting times ahead. Its a good deal for both airlines involved. Neither will be a fortress hub or anything too bad for the flying public either

seabosdca

Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:41 pm

Quoting slcdeltarumd11 (Reply 10):
Neither will be a fortress hub or anything too bad for the flying public either

The combination of a US monopoly in a very high number of markets and slot limitations already create problems for DCA flyers, and I think this will only make it worse. Certainly nothing like the public faces at, say, DTW or CVG, but it's enough of a problem to keep an eye on.

Fortunately, we do have some relatively nearby competition. My last several flights have all been out of BWI, because lately there has been a dramatic (often 40%+) difference in fares. That's easily enough to pay for parking and make the 45-minute drive (as opposed to 15-minute door-to-door Metro ride, for me) worth it.

ERJ170

Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:42 pm

I could see AS wanting at least 1 set of DCA slots for PDX

I could see VX wanting 3 sets of DCA slots for SFO and LAX (I think it would be allowed as their hubs are not located within the perimter and they currently do not have access)...
Aiming High and going far..

MAH4546

Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:55 pm

Quoting ERJ170 (Reply 12):
I could see AS wanting at least 1 set of DCA slots for PDX

I could see VX wanting 3 sets of DCA slots for SFO and LAX (I think it would be allowed as their hubs are not located within the perimter and they currently do not have access)...

These are not beyond-perimeter slots, so it's moot.

DOJ has also thrown a wrench into the approval process, today, so looks like it's anything but final.
a.

flyby519

Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:02 am

Adios AA at LGA!

I think this will mean the eventual drastic reduction of AA in LGA (except ORD/DFW routes) and open the doors for a WN/B6 dogfight for the scraps.
These postings or comments are not a company-sponsored source of communication.

MaverickM11

Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:13 am

So is this it or are there more hurdles?
Quoting gdg9 (Reply 2):
Not sure how that promotes competition?

When DL returns the slots and/or requests to make them dormant, I'm sure other carriers will pick some up 

[Edited 2011-10-11 17:15:51]
E pur si muove -Galileo

quickmover

Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:14 am

The deal seems kind of lop sided.

Why would USAir give up 134 slots in exchange for only 40 at DCA?

jetlanta

Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:18 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 13):
DOJ has also thrown a wrench into the approval process, today, so looks like it's anything but final.

This will be interesting. If the DOJ does end up objecting, don't they have to file an anti-trust suit and actually win the case (or settle)? They can't just say "no", if I recall.

kcrwflyer

Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:22 am

Quoting quickmover (Reply 16):

US runs PHL-LGA 20x with 37 and 50 seat aircraft...mainly Piedmont Dash 8's. That about sums up how interested they are in making LGA work.

FSDan

Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:23 am

Quoting gdg9 (Reply 2):

It promotes competition because DL will start routes like LGA-DFW and LGA-MIA that are currently monopolies, and they will also add competition to routes like LGA-YYZ and LGA-CLT where there are currently just two airlines. Also, as FWAERJ pointed out above, there is very little overlap between US and DL from LGA, so DL taking over routes from US won't create many new monopoly markets (and the ones it does create are routes like LGA-GSP that are very small anyway).

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 9):
After this, what routes will US continue to operate from LGA? Obviously CLT, PHL and DCA. I presume BOS will stay. What else?

I think it will just be CLT, DCA, PIT, PHL, and BOS.

Sadly. I'm very ready to see US's LGA slots put to better use.
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

jacobin777

Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:36 am

Quoting flyby519 (Reply 14):
Adios AA at LGA!

I think this will mean the eventual drastic reduction of AA in LGA (except ORD/DFW routes) and open the doors for a WN/B6 dogfight for the scraps.

I'm curious why you say this. Any particular reason why AA will only fly to ORD/DFW? You think AA will end MIA, RDU, YYZ, etc. just because DL become larger @ LGA?
"Up the Irons!"

MAH4546

Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:41 am

Adios AA at LGA!

Thanks for the laugh. AA will be weakened, but to insist that this means AA will exit markets like MIALGA and BNALGA is ridiculous.

Quoting jetlanta (Reply 17):

This will be interesting. If the DOJ does end up objecting, don't they have to file an anti-trust suit and actually win the case (or settle)? They can't just say "no", if I recall.

Correct, DOJ will have to file suit and win. The bad news for DL/US is this: DOJ rarely loses.
a.

flyby519

Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:52 am

Sorry, forgot about MIA. I could see AA running ORD/DFW/MIA and the token few routes to second tier cities like BNA/YYZ/RDU

5 years ago I thought it would be sacrilege for AA to end BOS-LGA service, but that is happening in a few weeks

[Edited 2011-10-11 17:57:09]

deltairlines

Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:58 am

Quoting flyby519 (Reply 22):

5 years ago I thought it would be sacrilege for AA to end BOS-LGA service, but that is happening in a few weeks.

Why? They only started it around 10 years ago - they were hardly an entrenched carrier on BOS-LGA - Delta and US Airways each had flights every hour on mainline planes, versus only 10 flights a day on 37 and 44 seaters. Throw in the fact that the Acela is a huge part of this market, and it's an easy route to cut.

crAAzy

Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:04 am

Adios AA at LGA!

On the contrary, if the deal goes through it will just make a US/AA tie up easier in the future.

When will things be put in motion? Nobody knows yet, but one of the first signs will be AA divesting/swapping/selling more DCA slots to B6 in return for additional JFK slots. B6 at BOS,JFK,DCA will then compliment AA operations nicely in the NE.

flyby519

Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:08 am

Quoting crAAzy (Reply 24):
On the contrary, if the deal goes through it will just make a US/AA tie up easier in the future.

And I am the crazy one because I think AA will have big reductions at LGA in the future!  

MAH4546

Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:09 am

Quoting flyby519 (Reply 22):
5 years ago I thought it would be sacrilege for AA to end BOS-LGA service, but that is happening in a few weeks

Why? BOSLGA is a route AA has not been on for a very long time. It only launched the route at the start of the decade. Furthermore, the only reason AA is ending it is because of the Eagle spin-off. Due to archaic clause rules, Eagle is not allowed to fly BOSLGA.

Quoting flyby519 (Reply 25):
Quoting crAAzy (Reply 24):

And I am the crazy one because I think AA will have big reductions at LGA in the future!  

You are crazy for thinking this. It's very likely not going to happen. AA might move slots around, but slot usage will remain consistent within slot usage rules (I believe there is an 80% usage rule, so I could see reduce service temporarily if travel demand slows). AA isn't going to give up LaGuardia slots - it almost made that mistake a few years ago and learned its lesson.

[Edited 2011-10-11 18:11:54]
a.

flyby519

Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:14 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 26):
AA might move slots around, but slot usage will remain consistent within slot usage rules (I believe there is an 80% usage rule, so I could see reduce service temporarily if travel demand slows). AA isn't going to give up LaGuardia slots - it almost made that mistake a few years ago and learned its lesson.

Would AA trade LGA slots for JFK slots if the opportunity came up?

MAH4546

Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:40 am

Quoting flyby519 (Reply 27):
Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 26):
AA might move slots around, but slot usage will remain consistent within slot usage rules (I believe there is an 80% usage rule, so I could see reduce service temporarily if travel demand slows). AA isn't going to give up LaGuardia slots - it almost made that mistake a few years ago and learned its lesson.

Would AA trade LGA slots for JFK slots if the opportunity came up?

I do not believe so. Contrary to popular belief, JFK slots are not rare. They are plentiful outside of peak periods. AA has plenty of peak period slots that are being used on domestic flights that can be used for more lucrative services in a stronger market. It doesn't have a need for more JFK slots right now.
a.

jetlanta

Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:24 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 21):
Correct, DOJ will have to file suit and win. The bad news for DL/US is this: DOJ rarely loses.

So the big questions becomes, will they? It seems to me that it rarely comes to that. Usually deals are settled or dropped first. Its hard to believe that the objections to this deal could be too big.

tommy767

Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:29 am

Adios AA at LGA!

If this gets approved, AA is the biggest loser on this deal. It's a shame that AA has been in such crap shape the last 5 years that they couldn't protect their turf at LGA.

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 21):
Thanks for the laugh. AA will be weakened, but to insist that this means AA will exit markets like MIALGA and BNALGA is ridiculous.

No, but DL will probably start these routes and destroy AA's yields (probably more so at BNA than MIA)
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

MaverickM11

Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:44 am

Quoting jetlanta (Reply 29):
So the big questions becomes, will they?

I can't imagine a cogent argument showing competition in NYC would be hurt when there are at least 4 carriers fighting to dominate the same catchment area, never mind new ones moving in all the time; DCA, however, perhaps.
E pur si muove -Galileo

LAXtoATL

Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:53 am

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 31):
I can't imagine a cogent argument showing competition in NYC would be hurt when there are at least 4 carriers fighting to dominate the same catchment area, never mind new ones moving in all the time; DCA, however, perhaps.

They said the have no issues with LGA, their concerns are strictly about DCA.

kcrwflyer

Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:59 am

Quoting TOMMY767 (Reply 30):
No, but DL will probably start these routes and destroy AA's yields (probably more so at BNA than MIA)

I could be wrong, but I'd think AA's LGA flights rely on their strength in the destination city..RDU and BNA for example. AA's following should be enough to keep the routes going. It's not like they're the only game in town on some of these routes as is.

deltairlines

Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:20 am

Quoting LAXtoATL (Reply 32):

For Thursday's schedule, there are 422 scheduled departures out of DCA. US Airways has 191 of them (45.2%). With 42 additional flights, they have 233, or 55.2%.

For Thursday's schedule, there are 582 scheduled departures out of LGA. Delta has 191 of them (26.4%). With 132 more slot pairs, Delta has 286, or 49.2%.

There really isn't a ton of differentiation between the percentages - 5 percent is not that big of a difference, especially when a very large percentage of slots belong to other airlines.

Even LCCs aren't that horrible treated. Post swap, LCCs will have 10.4% of slots at DCA (JetBlue, AirTran, Frontier, Spirit, Sun Country, plus 8 more divested). At LGA, it's 12.3% (AirTran, Southwest, Frontier, JetBlue, Spirit plus 16 divested). Again, not that significant of a difference, especially when there is significant LCC competition at both other airports in the region. It is not as if there will be a lack of LCC service at DCA post-slot swap. As it stands, DCA isn't that much further behind LGA currently for LCC service - 8.5% of current departures out of DCA are on LCCs, while 9.6% are on LCCs out of LGA.

HPRamper

Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:31 am

Quoting quickmover (Reply 16):

It will allow US to solidify more into their four key hubs - yes, with 233 flights I'm going to lump DCA as a hub - and in a less diluted market. DCA is widely considered the premium D.C. area airport. There was also some redundant overlap between the LGA and BOS quasi-foci.

Quoting LAXtoATL (Reply 32):

Even with 55% at DCA, I don't see why that should be an issue. Fortress hubs have a much higher percentage by one carrier, yet they are allowed to function normally.

mozart

Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:45 am

WIth DL adding so many flights and US shrinking their program at LGA, will the DL terminal be big enough? Or shouldn't they simply also swap their respective terminals at LGA? I would imagine that DL will continue to use the Marine Terminal for Shuttle flights only. So it would need more space at the other side of the airport, whilst at the same time US probably has overcapacities at its terminal.

Any thoughts?

mayor

Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:46 am

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 15):
When DL returns the slots and/or requests to make them dormant, I'm sure other carriers will pick some up

Oh, give it a rest.

If the DOJ is objecting to the swap of the DCA gates, what does do that to the agreement? They've already said that they have no objection to the LGA slots being swapped, so that review is being dropped.
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

MAH4546

Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:47 am

Destroy is quite the exaggeration. Affect, certainly, but DL has already launched LGABNA and AA hasn't been hurt.
a.

deltairlines

Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:49 am

Quoting mozart (Reply 36):
WIth DL adding so many flights and US shrinking their program at LGA, will the DL terminal be big enough? Or shouldn't they simply also swap their respective terminals at LGA? I would imagine that DL will continue to use the Marine Terminal for Shuttle flights only. So it would need more space at the other side of the airport, whilst at the same time US probably has overcapacities at its terminal.

Any thoughts?

There is a terminal realignment plan in place.

An airside connector between the Delta Terminal and the US Airways Terminal. Delta will pick up the majority of the gates in the current US Airways terminal - I believe that US Airways is keeping 7 gates for their roughly 40-50 flights left, and Delta will take over the rest of them.

I think that Delta is keeping the MAT as well for the Shuttle.

MAH4546

Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:50 am

Quoting mayor (Reply 37):
If the DOJ is objecting to the swap of the DCA gates, what does do that to the agreement? They've already said that they have no objection to the LGA slots being swapped, so that review is being dropped.

But if the DOJ successfully stops US from acquiring the Reagan slots, the deal is dead. I doubt US is going to do the swap by just selling Delta LaGuardia slots.
a.

FlyASAGuy2005

Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:50 am

Quoting mozart (Reply 36):

It's been brought up in other threads. DL will continue to operate out of the Detla Flight Center along with taking over most of the US gates, as well as operating out of the MAT. The original deal called for US moving into the MAT but that was scrapped due to the amount of flights US wanted to maintain.
What gets measured gets done.

phlwok

Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:51 am

Quoting HPRamper (Reply 35):

Even with 55% at DCA, I don't see why that should be an issue. Fortress hubs have a much higher percentage by one carrier, yet they are allowed to function normally.

I also think DL and US would argue that the DC market, like NYC, can't be considered the same way a fortress hub at, say, DTW would be, as there are two large airports - IAD and BWI - in close proximity, with significant hubs belonging to competitors. Now, I know traffic can make that proximity seem like an eternity, but there are more options as DCA alternates if someone doesn't like the prices they're getting there.

mayor

Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:55 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 40):
But if the DOJ successfully stops US from acquiring the Reagan slots, the deal is dead. I doubt US is going to do the swap by just selling Delta LaGuardia slots.

As long as this whole process took, I'm surprised the DOJ didn't have any objections during the final negotiations with the DOT (or maybe I'm not). I'm reminded of that aborted African route (can't remember the destination) that DL was told that everything was hunky dory but at the last minute, Homeland Security put the kabosh on it.
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

LipeGIG

Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:59 am

I doubt. There's a lot of markets DL can for sure obtain better yields. MIA is probably among them, but i see rather O&D than anything else. LGA-YYZ is an example of what DL probably will try to cover.
New York + Rio de Janeiro = One of the best combinations !

Cubsrule

Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:59 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 38):
Destroy is quite the exaggeration. Affect, certainly, but DL has already launched LGABNA and AA hasn't been hurt.

What's DL going to do, launch 10 daily LGABNA to spite AA? That's just stupid.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

apodino

Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:34 am

I hope this deal gets done as it will be a win win for everyone. The customers win because they have more nonstop options out of DCA and LGA, and some monopoly routes may see competition. (LGA-DFW, DCA-DFW, DCA-MIA, etc). LCCs will gain more slots out of this which will help them too.

Quoting FSDan (Reply 19):

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 9):

I think it will just be CLT, DCA, PIT, PHL, and BOS.

When the deal was announced, the plan was for those cities and also ILM to retain service, with all but PHL and ILM staying exclusively mainline. The other five cities make sense, but why they want to keep ILM is something I don't get, but US does have quite a bit of service there from a number of places.

Also of note, WestJet is gaining access somewhere in this deal. I can't remember if it was LGA or DCA though?

MAH4546

Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:47 am

Quoting apodino (Reply 46):
and some monopoly routes may see competition. (LGA-DFW, DCA-DFW, DCA-MIA, etc).

US Airways flies DCADFW while Delta flies MIADCA.
a.

boberito6589

Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:50 am

Quoting apodino (Reply 46):
When the deal was announced, the plan was for those cities and also ILM to retain service, with all but PHL and ILM staying exclusively mainline. The other five cities make sense, but why they want to keep ILM is something I don't get, but US does have quite a bit of service there from a number of places.

ILM was going to keep service in the original slot swap, that is no longer the plan. Post-swap LGA will only have US service to CLT PHL PIT DCA and BOS

airlinespotter

Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:53 am

Anyone knows how many gates US will have at DCA? and DL at LGA? thanks