miaami
Topic Author

MIA Baggage System About To Launch

Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:25 pm

Interesting that the article says that AA might delay the actual use of the new system by as much as 18 months!

http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/10/1...w-mia-baggage-handling-system.html

washingtonian

RE: MIA Baggage System About To Launch

Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:43 pm

Very interesting....I didn't know it wasn't functioning yet! So silly question then--is AA using the "old" baggage handling system? What does THAT entail?

Also, are the new baggage system and the new FIS the last two aspects of the North Terminal yet to be completed?

miaami
Topic Author

Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:33 pm

Any updates on the testing from yesterday?

AA767LOVER

Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:21 am

Do you REALLY want to know what it entails? COMPLETE LACK OF EFFICIENCY! This is why I chose to switch to IAH or DFW to go to Latin America. In 2003, when I passed through MIA to go back to IF you can find it. It was worse than a refugee camp and very disconcerting to find bags strewn all over the place. No sense of organization whatsoever. IAH or DFW is the ideal place to go. I gave MIA a couple more chances, by the way. It had not improved at all. Finally, I chose DFW, IAH or EWR from DFW more because I really like AA at everywhere BUT Miami. I would choose AA to fly via DFW to Guatemala or San Jose. Too bad they cut the DFW-LIM route, but if it doesn't make money, no point, right? But MIA's baggage claim and reclaim procedures were real rough as I remember it. At least in major hubs, I can have my bags REALLY checked through to Canada, rather than having the trauma of claiming bags at MIA. ATL, DFW and IAH are the BEST airports to fly through coming in from Latin America.

[Edited 2011-10-20 20:22:34]
J.I. Tsui, American Advantage Member, United Mileage Plus (Premier)

AA767LOVER

Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:25 am

Sorry folks, deleted some information there. . .
What I meant to say is . .. "In 2003, when I passed through MIA to go back to Canada, one had to reclaim luggage - IF you can find it.
MIA's baggage claim hall is like a refugee camp for baggage . . .disorganized and strewn all over.
J.I. Tsui, American Advantage Member, United Mileage Plus (Premier)

flymia

Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:01 am

Quoting AA767LOVER (Reply 4):
Sorry folks, deleted some information there. . .
What I meant to say is . .. "In 2003, when I passed through MIA to go back to Canada, one had to reclaim luggage - IF you can find it.
MIA's baggage claim hall is like a refugee camp for baggage . . .disorganized and strewn all over.

It has been a mess. Hence the reason they are fixing it.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

United_fan

Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:08 pm

Why is it that bags take forever to come out @ MIA? It's been on DL and AA.
Champagne For My Real Friends,and Real Pain For My Sham Friends

apodino

Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:56 pm

I see a system like this, and I can't help but be reminded of the system that DEN touted when it first opened, that UA insisted on being there, and then they eventually scrapped it after 15 years or so. I just hope this system doesn't turn out to be another white elephant.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos