2. Thomson Airways
4. easyJet
5. Emirates
6. Thomas Cook Airlines
7. Singapore Airlines
8. Monarch
9. Ryanair
10. Qantas & American.

These are apparently the Brits' favourites.

Molykote

RE: British Airways Voted UK's Favourite

Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:53 pm

So this is a downgrade from "The World's Favourite Airline" then?  Smile

[Edited 2011-10-18 07:57:46]
Speedtape - The aspirin of aviation!

Polot

Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:57 pm

Britons voting primarily for their hometown carriers? Color me shocked.

B747forever

Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:58 pm

Quoting kdhurst380 (Thread starter):
9. Ryanair
10. Qantas & American

Love how FR is before QF and AA. Can you even compare FR to QF and AA?
Work Hard, Fly Right

mogandoCI

Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:13 pm

Quoting B747forever (Reply 3):
Love how FR is before QF and AA. Can you even compare FR to QF and AA?

it's not so much about FR v. QF/AA, but more that with JV and metal neutrality, QF/AA is charging you pretty much the same fare as BA while providing lesser hard product and less service.

BA pretty much duplicates every route that QF/AA flies into LHR (if not all of it), so if you're already loyal to oneworld, the incentive not to fly BA is small (other than timing).

surprised Cathay didn't make it into the top 10 at all.

JL418

Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:13 pm

Proud to be a future BA employee!

eurowings

Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:27 pm

That survey tells us absolutely nothing useful, it's such a random mix of carriers! It was conducted by Gocompare.com, who are just a price comparison website (focusing on insurance rather than travel). I doubt that Thomson and Thomas Cook are even known outside of select countries in northern Europe.

[Edited 2011-10-18 09:30:30]
"Freddie Laker may be at peace with his Maker, but he is persona non grata with IATA."- HRH Duke of Edinburgh

bevisisback

Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:23 pm

Quoting mogandoCI (Reply 4):
it's not so much about FR v. QF/AA, but more that with JV and metal neutrality, QF/AA is charging you pretty much the same fare as BA while providing lesser hard product and less service.

I think its more to do with the fact that more Britons fly FR than AA/QA, or are more aware of the brand. I am impressed (though not surprised) that easyjet are six points ahead of FR.

Come to think of it Im also surprised flybe, jet2 or monarch didnt feature.

eurowings

Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:27 pm

Quoting bevisisback (Reply 7):
Come to think of it Im also surprised flybe, jet2 or monarch didnt feature.

Monarch was number 8. Jet2 don't operate any scheduled services from Southern England, which is often why they don't feature on lists. They are a big name in Northern England, Scotland and Northern Ireland though.

[Edited 2011-10-18 12:29:35]
"Freddie Laker may be at peace with his Maker, but he is persona non grata with IATA."- HRH Duke of Edinburgh

LGWflyer

Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:30 pm

I would have voted for US Airways.
3 words... I Love Aviation!!!

bevisisback

Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:50 pm

Quoting EuroWings (Reply 8):
Monarch was number 8.

Oh yeah so they were,silly me!

Its a shame jet2 missed out, i hear good things about them.

richierich

Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:09 pm

I consider myself to be somewhat knowledgeable about the airline industry and I would have been hard-pressed to name 10 British carriers off the top of my head. In reading the list, I can see I am not the only one!!
None shall pass!!!!

babybus

Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:22 pm

Take that all with a pinch of salt.  

Not wanting to get technical here but why would GoCompare do a survey like this and who exactly did they ask? They haven't over-loaded us with parametres for their study in that article.

I like the way the guy uses the word 'Bucket shop'. I haven't heard that phrase for about 25 years.

British Airways is currently my favourite American airline.
and with that..cabin crew, seats for landing please.

skysurfer

Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:24 pm

Is it just me or does anyone else find BA expensive?

Before anyone jumps on me, I do see other carriers on various routes more expensive but overall BA seem to cost a hell of alot on most routes.
In the dark you can't see ugly, but you can feel fat

bevisisback

Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:32 pm

It is a very odd survey, seems particularly odd that the list doesnt extend past no 10 and they refer to FR being at 'the bottom'. Surely there was more airlines named than this ten. That or they gave them a list of 10 and asked them to rank them by popularity.

B747forever

Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:52 pm

Quoting skysurfer (Reply 13):

Before anyone jumps on me, I do see other carriers on various routes more expensive but overall BA seem to cost a hell of alot on most routes.

Do you compare BA out of LHR nonstop with another carrier via their hub to the destination?

It is normal that BA is more expensive out of LHR nonstop compared to other carriers with connections.
Work Hard, Fly Right

ThomasCook

Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:56 pm

Quoting mogandoCI (Reply 4):

BA providing a better hard product and service then QF? You've got to be kidding, please explain...start with Premium Economy, then lets talk A380.

Regards
ThomasCook
A380 Crew

LX138

Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:11 pm

Quoting EuroWings (Reply 8):
Monarch was number 8. Jet2 don't operate any scheduled services from Southern England, which is often why they don't feature on lists.

Do people in the north generally not vote then?  
StarWorld Team - The ultimate airline alliance

LGWflyer

Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:51 pm

I think people should just move on, so we have our top 10 of Britain's favourite airlines voted by 3000 people who which I highly expect to not have involved you.

If any survey should be done by the way, im sure the brits of A.net like myself would decide our top 10.  
3 words... I Love Aviation!!!

vv701

Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:35 am

Quoting bevisisback (Reply 14):
It is a very odd survey, seems particularly odd that the list doesnt extend past no 10 and they refer to FR being at 'the bottom'. Surely there was more airlines named than this ten.
Quoting Babybus (Reply 12):
Not wanting to get technical here but why would GoCompare do a survey like this

GoCompare are a price comparison web site covering a large range of "products". These "products" include airline flights. Having found the cheapest - or whatever - on your chosen route their site then gives you the opportunity of booking the flight.

Of course unlike many here on a-net, the average person has little idea of which airline flies which route. So one advantage of web sites liked Gocompare is that they provide a list of airlines with the prices on offer on the potential passenger's chosen dates on the route of his or her choice.

In terms of the survey there is no information that I can find on how the sample of 3,000 respondents were selected or what the exact questions were that they were asked. However an intelligent guess might be that the sample was skewed because it only consisted of individuals who had booked a flight on or through the GoCompare web site. So, for example, it might be biased against business travelers if few business flights are booked on this web site.

Quoting bevisisback (Reply 14):
It is a very odd survey, seems particularly odd that the list doesn't extend past no 10 and they refer to FR being at 'the bottom'.

Publishing the "top ten" is a traditional activity be it best selling books or recordings or, as here, favouite and least favoured airlines. But when a list of the top ten is published there is no implication that they are the only books, recordings or, as here, airlines.

What muddies the waters here is that the survey asked respondents for their favourite and least favourite airline "bearing in mind cost, the service and the overall comfort of their journey".

With such a question there is no reason why a single airline should not appear in the top ten of the list of favourite and in the top ten of least favourite airlines. And apparently FR polled the highest proportion of votes as "least favourite airline" with 19.3 per cent of respondents. But nevertheless FR also managed to achieve position number nine (presumably by those respondents where cost was the overwhelmingly important determinant) in the top ten of most favoured airlines.

In summary it is possible that a fuller more descriptive title for the results from this survey might be:

"Top ten most favoured and least favoured airlines amongst 3,000 passengers booking their flight through the Gocompare web site."

BlueShamu330s

Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:06 am

You might find this link interesting:

BA fares compared with EasyJet & Ryanair

Rgds
So I drive a 4x4. So what?! Tax the a$$ off me for it...oh, you already have... :-(

lhr380

Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:45 am

What routes do you fly and what times of year?
(The views on this site are my own and no one elses)

LX138

Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:36 am

Quoting lhr380 (Reply 26):

What routes do you fly and what times of year?

Or more importantly, how many bags do you want to check in, when do you tend to book and do you like checking in at the airport? (If we are comparing to certain other carriers)

StarWorld Team - The ultimate airline alliance

Pe@rson

Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:46 am

Quoting blueshamu330s (Reply 25):

Not really: it doesn't even include the average airfare (easily findable in the airlines' reports) upon which to add whatever you want. Had they done this - obviously they haven't because BA would appear much higher and its differential much lower, thereby defeating the object and confirming general public perceptions - it would have been fairer and more accurate.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

tcasalert

Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:53 am

Except that is just an advertisement on BA's site, they are hardly going to admit to being worse value for money are they. It also does not take into account the base fare. Sure FR's flight may be £24 for extras for a return flight where BA don't charge, but FR's flight is probably only 1p anyway compared to BA's £80. So you're £55.99 better off with FR for example.

Plus BA also conveniently forget to include a line for "Credit Card charges", which they charge for.

[Edited 2011-10-19 04:58:36]
Next flight: Feb 2012 - BHX-CPH-BHX - SK MD87 / CRJ900

SKAirbus

Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:00 pm

The sort of people that use Go Compare are the sort of people that most likely would go for price over quality when it comes to choosing an airline.

This survey is a bloody waste of time and should be done by a more reputable establishment!
Next Flights: LHR-OSL (738), OSL-CPH (320), CPH-LHR (321), LHR-HEL (359), HEL-LHR (359)

charliecossie

Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:19 pm

Quoting SKAirbus (Reply 30):
The sort of people that use Go Compare are the sort of people that most likely would go for price over quality when it comes to choosing an airline.

Can't really argue with that statement.
However, the poll results suggest the complete opposite.
Unless the voters consider BA much cheaper but also much lower quality than Ryanair.

eurowings

Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:45 pm

Rgds

That only works if you won't sacrifice BA frills and turn up expecting a BA flight. The easyJet checked baggage prices are also exaggerated considerably. It's £10 - £15 each way if you pre-book generally for 20KG, not £50 return like BA is trying to say (it's only that if you don't pre-book). They don't mention that EZY has no hand luggage weight limit either.

[Edited 2011-10-19 06:52:28]

mogandoCI

Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:59 pm

Quoting ThomasCook (Reply 16):
BA providing a better hard product and service then QF? You've got to be kidding, please explain...start with Premium Economy, then lets talk A380.

can you honestly say QF Business and First are better than BA ?

BA has flat bed in biz across the entire fleet. Can QF claim that ?

vv701

Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:01 pm

Quoting Pe@rson (Reply 28):
Not really: it doesn't even include the average airfare (easily findable in the airlines' reports) upon which to add whatever you want. Had they done this - obviously they haven't because BA would appear much higher

I think you could be right. After all FR does not offer a lie-flat first class ticket from the UK to SYD as BA does. And the price of a single BA F Class ticket LHR-SYD is £9,067.

The variation in the average product provided by FR compared to the average product provided by BA in terms of comfort, extras and, in particular, distance traveled could indeed make the average BA air fare that little bit higher. Indeed this would be true even if BA's only long haul flight was to SYD and they only sold a couple of F Class tickets on that route each year.

So lets compare the price of apples with apples and not that of a Fiat Uno with a Ferrari F430 Coupe. These are both admirable vehicles in their own classes and are out of the same Italian stable. But comparing their average prices is a pretty futile exercise and, as Shakespeare wrote "full of meaningful nothingness".

Pe@rson

Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:59 pm

Quoting VV701 (Reply 34):
But comparing their average prices is a pretty futile exercise

But it would still be more meaningful and fair than not paying any attention to them whatever - per BA. Indeed, BA could quite easily find FR and EZY's average one-way fares and add its own intra-European average. Then, people could select whatever else they want or need to arrive at a not-accurate-but-better to-pay amount. Alas, it won't do this because it would cast it in a negative light, which is understandable, but still...
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

GT4EZY

Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:18 pm

I can't imagine this survey ever being 'that' scientific. BA would always get high scores as there is the patriotism element, Virgin Atlantic meanwhile is often seen as the industry benchmark by many who haven't even flown with them despite the fact that these days they are rather mediocre. That said, it's not just home carriers who would naturally benefit in such a survey. Anecotally Singapore Airlines is consistently mentioned whenever I evesdrop on peoples conversations in the barbershop or in the gym and Emirates connects so many UK travellers these days that they too would figure highly.

Easyjet, despite the misconceptions, (and no bias) generally has a pretty good reputation but despite coming in at a very respectable 4th place, should it really be in a survey that includes SQ, BA etc etc? Would we see Ibis or Days Inn in the same survey as the Hilton or Crowne Plaza? I don't know.
Proud to fly from Manchester!

Viscount724

Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:15 pm

Quoting richierich (Reply 11):
I consider myself to be somewhat knowledgeable about the airline industry and I would have been hard-pressed to name 10 British carriers off the top of my head. In reading the list, I can see I am not the only one!!

Did you read the poll question? It asked 3000 Brits to name their favourite airline, not their favourite BRITISH airline.

vv701

Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:55 pm

Quoting Pe@rson (Reply 30):
But it would still be more meaningful and fair than not paying any attention to them whatever

What exactly would you find meaningful about comparing the average fare in Europe for an airline with a multi-class product - e.g. BA's Club Europe and Economy - with the average fare in Europe for an airline with a single Economy product? Try taking a guess as to which would have the highest income per passenger irrespective of the true relative prices.

What exactly would you find meaningful about comparing the average fare in Europe for an airline with a fully flexible product offering to two airlines that offered no such product? Have another guess as to which would have the highest income per passenger irrespective of the true relative prices.

Average income per passenger is meaningless when there is a any variation in the product offering or the product purchased. You do not get a Ferrari F430 Coupe for the price of a Fiat Uno. Neither do you get on board inclusive refreshments and / or food for the same ticket price where you pay-extra-on-board refreshments and / or food. And you only need one passenger to make a free choice not to buy on the pay-on-board flight and a meaningful comparison flies straight out of the window. And have a final guess as to which would have the highest income per passenger irrespective of the true relative price, the inclusive or the pay-on-board optrion.s.

At the risk of being repetitive

Quoting VV701 (Reply 29):
lets compare the price of apples with apples

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos