tcasalert

Shock Horror - Ryanair Use Tape To Fix Plane!

Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:27 am

Good old Daily Heil, never one to let the facts get in the way of a good story:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...gers-crew-fix-windscreen-TAPE.html

"A Ryanair flight had to turn back mid-air after tape used to patch up a pilot's window came unstuck, it has emerged.
Before the 1,000-mile flight from Stansted, Essex, to Riga in Latvia ground crew had been called out to wrap the edge of the windscreen with the tape.
The flight had to be abandoned after 20 minutes when the tape dislodged amid reports of distracting sounds for the pilot and those on board.

Passenger Anthony Neal, 33, from Bromley, Kent told The Sun: 'We were terrified. I could see the guys taping the windscreen, with what looked like duct tape or gaffer tape.
"

Heaven knows what they'd report if they knew how often this INDUSTRIAL GRADE and APPROVED tape is used, quite safely, on flights around the world.

Next flight: Feb 2012 - BHX-CPH-BHX - SK MD87 / CRJ900

nomadd22

RE: Shock Horror - Ryanair Use Tape To Fix Plane!

Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:35 am

Why did the tape came loose if it was used "in line with correct procedures"? It either wasn't the right solution for or it was used incorrectly.
Anon

HAWK21M

Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:47 am

Sounds dramatic....But probably just High speed tape covering a rough surface & came off with Aerodynamic loads....
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

Rareinside

Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:01 pm

Ok, if the tape would have not came loose, which altitude they would have chosen?
Unbelievable anyway!

YVRFlyer

Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:36 pm

Well, at least they didn't run out of coffee!   
YVRFlyer

Vasu

Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:50 pm

Nothingness rubbish from the Daily Mail... surprised?

Quokka

Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:59 pm

After stating

Quote:
The Irish Aviation Authority told Mail Online that they were satisfied with the routine carried out with the tape an added precaution that should have lasted up to seven days.

A spokeswoman for the IAA said: 'All the maintenance was carried out in line with the correct procedures.

'The pilot took the correct action by returning to base.'

the article continues to read as a promotion for Micheal O'Leary and Ryanair. All in all not bad free publicity.

YVRFlyer

Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:08 pm

Quoting Vasu (Reply 5):

Not really... By the way, ever noticed the Daily Mail must have terrible copyeditors? Whenever I have a read, I keep on finding bad grammar littering it. It's like watching the english language de-evolve.
YVRFlyer

LGWflyer

Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:09 pm

Quoting YVRFlyer (Reply 4):
Well, at least they didn't run out of coffee!

Hahah! Gotta love Airplane!
3 words... I Love Aviation!!!

Vasu

Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:21 pm

Quoting YVRFlyer (Reply 7):
Not really... By the way, ever noticed the Daily Mail must have terrible copyeditors? Whenever I have a read, I keep on finding bad grammar littering it. It's like watching the english language de-evolve.

Too true - I've noticed the same thing!

BasilFawlty

Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:25 pm

Quoting TCASAlert (Thread starter):
Heaven knows what they'd report if they knew how often this INDUSTRIAL GRADE and APPROVED tape is used, quite safely, on flights around the world.

Quoting Vasu (Reply 5):

No surprise indeed, rubbish as usual.

The sort of tape which is used in aviation is very different from the tape in your own garage from your local hardware store. It's very strong, very expensive and above all, approved by all safety organisations.
'Every year donkeys and mules kill more people than plane crashes'

q120

Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:30 pm

I have seen cabins filled with ducttape before, the most ive seen was recently on a Viking air A320.
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results

skymiler

Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:34 pm

Many years ago flew YUL - BDL on a Pilgrim Twin Otter with duct tape on the wingtip after a bit of a bang up with a wall at YUL.

Every few minutes the 1st officer shone his flashlight onto the wingtip to make sure the tape was still there!

At customs at BDL, some wag asked the captain if he declared "1 roll of duct tape!".

I am here to write about it and recovered from a bit of a hangover from Pilgrim's generosity in the bar at YUL while they were looking for the tape!! Of course a Twotter would probably fly with both wings missing!

All part of life -- and NOTHING on the news about it!!
I love to fly, and it shows!

babybus

Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:27 pm

Quoting q120 (Reply 11):
I have seen cabins filled with ducttape before, the most ive seen was recently on a Viking air A320.

Ryanair have a fleet of Boeing 737-800.

The aircraft are pretty new so why a new aircraft would need duct tape is anyone's guess.

Just the Daily Mail having another nasty dig at Europe's favourite airline.
and with that..cabin crew, seats for landing please.

Gingersnap

Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:38 pm

Quoting Babybus (Reply 13):
Europe's favourite airline.

They may fly the most, but they certainly aren't anyone's favorite airline. In fact, everyone I know goes out their way to pay more just to avoid FR.
Flown on: A306 A319/20/21 A332 B732/3/4/5/7/8 B742/4 B752 B762/3 B772/W C152 E195 F70/100 MD-82 Q400

catiii

Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:40 pm

The aircraft are pretty new so why a new aircraft would need duct tape is anyone's guess.

But it isn't duct tape. It's speed tape (which, admittedly, looks like duct tape).

dpcoliveira

Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:12 pm

There was one ocasion at the job that I heard something about an aircraft that was damaged after the ground crew set landing flaps with the reversers opened.

I also heard the aircraft went to our hub with the puntures on the engine cowl covered with that industrial tape, so It could be fixed properly.

As a rookie mechanic, I´ve seen that such procedures are approved by the manufacturer.

Too much sensacionalism, in my opinion.

Regards,

Dave

Dogbreath

Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:14 pm

Quoting Gingersnap (Reply 14):
In fact, everyone I know goes out their way to pay more just to avoid FR.

That maybe so, but 73 million other people decided to pay to fly with them. A figure that increases around 8% per year.
Truth, Honour, Loyalty

radarbeam

Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:14 pm

Quoting catiii (Reply 15):
But it isn't duct tape. It's speed tape (which, admittedly, looks like duct tape).

Yep! Although duct tape and speed tape are really 2 different animals. Duct tape is made with some sort of textile fabric in it, allowing it some flexibility. Speed tape is just a thin sheet of metal (alu?) with a strong adhesive backing, it's very rigid and quite durable and it's cost quite a few bucks! ...Make sure you wear gloves when applying this stuff, it cuts!

alm1

Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:30 pm

From the article:

Quote:
A Ryanair flight carrying 200 passengers

Of which 189 were traveling seated, 1 using extra seat in the only paid lavatory and 10 standing.

q120

Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:50 pm

Correction, I was just checking out the pics today it was scotch tape in the Viking A320 not ducttape nor speed tape.
For those who dont know the difference between speed tape and ducttape, the speed tape is metalic like.

LOWS

Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:33 pm

I am absolutely stunned the Daily Mail would hype or otherwise distort a story way out of proportion. Did they find out if the tape either 1. causes cancer or 2. cures cancer?   

FCAFLYBOY

Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:05 pm

Oh dear, this isn't news, good old daily mail.

Re worst offender for this in my own experience is QF.

8 flight, all different a/c, all stuck together. Have seen this plenty on LH and AA and twice on
Both CX and LI that I can recall. Unsettling, but rarely used to 'fix' anything, usually a temp fix.

tcasalert

Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:12 pm

Quoting lows (Reply 21):
I am absolutely stunned the Daily Mail would hype or otherwise distort a story way out of proportion. Did they find out if the tape either 1. causes cancer or 2. cures cancer?   

Its always worth a laugh to read, before trolling the comments section  
Next flight: Feb 2012 - BHX-CPH-BHX - SK MD87 / CRJ900

q120

Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:30 pm

Hopefully these links work. These are pictures I took from the viking air A320.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/202/tape1p.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/651/tape2i.jpg/

stratosphere

Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:36 pm

Quoting q120 (Reply 20):
Correction, I was just checking out the pics today it was scotch tape in the Viking A320 not ducttape nor speed tape.
For those who dont know the difference between speed tape and ducttape, the speed tape is metalic like.

For those not in the know...When a aircraft window is replaced there is aerodynamic smoother applied to seal the gaps in the window..If the airplane is needed before the sealant/smoother is fully cured it is standard practice to apply scotch tape over the smoother until it is fully cured.

fshplns

Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:43 pm

Quoting q120 (Reply 26):

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/202/tape1p.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images....jpg/

Both links show inside aircraft tape used. Speed tape is used on the outside of the aircraft, usually silver to metallic in color.

TYVM stratosphere, that helps the desription better.

[Edited 2011-10-24 13:47:37]

soon7x7

Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:49 pm

A whole bunch of reasons why tape won't adhere to certain applications...even speed tape. In addition when any tape is used to seal the actual pressure vessel ( in this case the cockpit windows) as opposed to an exterior access panel, the pressure will eventually work against the temp repair unless its application was well prepared and engineered. Either way...don't knock Duct Tape. If you ever see interior photos of Space Shuttle Flights...look carefully and you will see several rolls velcro'd all over the place. They never leave Earth without it. Sure won't work as an exterior patch though...

I have been on flights with WN when FA's used wet paper towels rammed into door gasket gaps to cut down on the whine noise from leaks. FAA approved no doubt.   

BasilFawlty

Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:14 pm

Quoting fshplns (Reply 28):
Speed tape is used on the outside of the aircraft, usually silver to metallic in color.

And it looks like this (picture is from my own collection):

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj192/FrontierA318/Photo-0683.jpg

EZY A319 with a missing wingtip. For safety reasons it has to be checked by an engineer after each flight.
'Every year donkeys and mules kill more people than plane crashes'

1stfl94

Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:46 pm

Quoting lows (Reply 21):

It's the Daily Mail. I'm surprised they haven't claimed the tape is the result of Eastern Europe immigrants and single mothers!

On a more serious note, the press would love to get Ryanair on a safety charge because it's the only thing that would cause them problems. Unfortunately, even for companies as cheap as Ryanair, I'm sure they don't skimp (at least too much) on the safety).

HNLsurfer

Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:49 pm

Quoting q120 (Reply 26):

Hey at least the white sort of blends in.   

tonystan

Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:05 pm

Gaffer tape is an engineers best mate!! Have you ever seen around the door frames of BA aircraft????
My views are my own and do not reflect any other person or organisation.

HNLsurfer

Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:10 pm

Quoting tonystan (Reply 35):

what, to hold the doors shut?  

irshava

Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:18 pm

HAHA - perhaps a scary attempt at some cheap PR?
“If you were born without wings, do nothing to prevent them from growing.”

ltbewr

Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:53 pm

As much as many here bash Ryanair - and apparently rightfully so as to their marketing, treatment of pax, their use of odd airports - they do have an excellent safety record. Apparently the tape was use for some acceptable minor repair and for some reason, an error as to it's application happened, causing it to get loose but well within the time frame it was allowed for. They did a diversion which is proper procedure, no one nor the aircraft was at risk. I am quite sure that if pieces of a strip of it came loose, it would not cause any problems to the engines or control services of the aircraft. Still to those not familiar with a/c mx, it could be an issue.

Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:14 am

Because the windshield had been replaced and aerodynamic sealant installed. But since the sealant takes several hours to cure, Boeing recommends that "speed tape"be installed over the un-cured sealant, so it will not be distorted by the airflow.

aviateur

Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:36 am

It's heavy-duty aluminum bonding tape, called "speed tape" in a mechanic's lexicon. Depending what a plane's maintenance manual stipulates, certain non-critical components can be temporarily patched with this material.

Embarrassing as it looks, it has virtually no bearing on safety. The tape is extremely durable, and is able to expand and contract through a wide range of temperatures.

A few years ago, here in the US, somebody's uploaded photo of a speed-taped flap fairing earned its share of controversy. I wrote about this in one of my ASK THE PILOT columns, explaining the purpose of this tape, and why it wasn't a safety issue....

PS
Patrick Smith is an airline pilot, air travel columnist and author

MD11Engineer

Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:28 am

Most likely they had to replace a cockpit window (maybe due to a birdstrike or a crak caused by a defective window heat controller). The gaps between the window (which gets bolted in and seals around the edges with a rubber gasket to keep the cabin pressure in) and the frame need to be filled with sealant (a bit like the silicone putty builders use) for aerodynamic smoothness. Depending on the ambient temperatures, this stuff needs from a few hours to a few days to cure. If there is not enough ground time available, the fresh sealant gets covered with speed tape to prevent it from being blown out during flight. To prevent the sealant from sticking to the tape, you´ll put a thin layer of silicone grease (like Dow Corning DC-4) or vaseline in between. After a few days you can remove the tape and the sealant will be hard like rubber.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

crjfixer

Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:37 am

Quoting stratosphere (Reply 25):
Quoting q120 (Reply 20):

For those not in the know...When a aircraft window is replaced there is aerodynamic smoother applied to seal the gaps in the window..If the airplane is needed before the sealant/smoother is fully cured it is standard practice to apply scotch tape over the smoother until it is fully cured.

Correct and our manual actually allows for speed tape for 24 hours to allow the window sealant to fully cure. Im sure thats exactly what happened in this case. This is aerodynamic sealant and not related to pressurization. The window itself has its own seal for that.

aa757first

Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:21 am

Wow, this article is particularly atrocious since they don't interview any third-party mechanics or pilots. Looks like something that would run in our National Enquirer.

BE77

Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:39 am

So what's the big deal?
MythBusters have shown duct tape is airworthy.

http://www.eaa.org/news/2011/2011-10-13_mythbusters.asp
Tower, Affirmitive, gear is down and welded

HAWK21M

Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:01 am

Quoting 474218 (Reply 35):
Because the windshield had been replaced and aerodynamic sealant installed. But since the sealant takes several hours to cure, Boeing recommends that "speed tape"be installed over the un-cured sealant, so it will not be distorted by the airflow.

The PERFECT Answer.....   

Unfortunately most persons dont realise the useage of HST is a recommended method.

charliecossie

Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:46 am

Quoting tonystan (Reply 31):
Gaffer tape is an engineers best mate!! Have you ever seen around the door frames of BA aircraft????

Every day. What am I missing?

Fabo

Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:53 am

Interesting take on on "even bad advertisment is advertisment". I for one am not too eager to fly FR, but with the lack of competition of likes of U2 or NE in the area, they are usually what I am left with. Nevertheless this is no reason not to fly with them. Most favourite airline, but not by choice, I say.

Quoting aviateur (Reply 36):
A few years ago, here in the US, somebody's uploaded photo of a speed-taped flap fairing earned its share of controversy. I wrote about this in one of my ASK THE PILOT columns, explaining the purpose of this tape, and why it wasn't a safety issue....

You do make good points about aviation in there, and nicely readable for general public IMO. Reminds me, I have not read it for a while. Gotta catch up.
The light at the end of tunnel turn out to be a lighted sing saying NO EXIT

SKAirbus

Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:28 pm

The Daily Mail strikes again and everyone believes it.

Some advice: Take everything you read in that newspaper, which I like to call the modern and daily version of "Mein Kampf" with a pinch of salt. They get their kicks (and sell a lot of papers) by being populist, sensationalist and right-wing to the extremes.

Always best to get this news from the horses mouth or if they deny it, from reputable sources like government bodies or more neutral press.
Next Flights: LHR-OSL (738), OSL-CPH (320), CPH-LHR (321), LHR-HEL (359), HEL-LHR (359)

HAWK21M

Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:43 am

Wonder why these media reporters dont publish what the experts said rather than what the Pax said.....guess the dramatics would then decrease....  

aviateur

Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:06 pm

I devoted the latest of my ASK THE PILOT installments to this non-incident.

Here's an excerpt:

OH MY GOD, THEY'RE DUCT-TAPING OUR PLANE!

Oh no, another duct tape controversy.

This time it was a Ryanair 737. As London's Stansted airport, passengers watched with reported "horror" as a problem with the jet's windscreen was repaired using what they took to be duct or gaffer's tape. The plane took off for Riga, Latvia, only to return to Stansted twenty minutes later when the tape apparently came loose and began making "disturbing noises."

Say what you want about Ryanair overall -- this is a carrier known to push the boundaries of "low cost carrier" into ever more controversial directions -- but this is another one of those things that looks a lot worse than it is.....

For starters, there was no duct tape. The mechanics had applied a heavy-duty aluminum bonding tape known as "speed tape." Embarrassing as it might appear, superficial or noncritical components are routinely patched with this material. It's a temporary fix, until more substantive repairs are made later on. The tape is extremely durable and is able to expand and contract through a wide range of temperatures.

"We never use, and don't even stock, duct tape," says Charlie, a veteran airline mechanic with 22 years experience on Boeings.  "Some of the tapes we use cost hundreds, even thousands, of dollars per roll. Speed tape is one of those. Last I heard, it costs about $700 per four-inch wide roll. It's approved by the manufacturer, FAA and company engineering department for certain repairs... always temporary."

This was a cosmetic application; the tape was used to keep uncured sealant in place; by no stretch was it "holding the window in" or any such claim. The taped section was not a stressed area of the windscreen or frame.

"The seal around the outside of a cockpit window is strictly an aerodynamic seal," explains Charlie. "The real, structural seal is deeper inside. This is not an automobile windshield; the actual glass panel is sandwiched between the airframe structure and removable outer heavy stainless steel retainers. The outer, aerodynamic seal is a wet-mixed sealant which smoothes the step from the windshield to the retainers. This sealant usually requires about 24 hours to fully cure. If the aircraft needs to fly during that period, it is permissible to apply tape to the outside to protect the sealant during flight. I have seen two different types of tape used: a clear Mylar tape and the aluminum "speed tape". The company's maintenance manual will tell you which kind is permitted, and for how long."

Why then, did the plane return to Stansted?

"There may have been a small pressurization leak," adds Charlie. "Or, it may simply have been that some of the tape peeled away. At high flying speeds, this will create a vibrating 'scream,' or high-pitched squeal as the unstuck tape flutters against the airframe and windshield. This could have created alarm in the flight crew and resulted in the turn-back."

The term "pressurization leak" is bound to scare you, but in fact small pressure leaks around windscreens and doors aren't uncommon. They're chiefly a nuisance, and * not * an indication that the plane is about to rapidly decompress, or that a window is going to be blown from its frame. They can be difficult to troubleshoot, however, and as air escapes it can sometimes make an extremely loud whine, squeal or hiss.

This isn't the first time that airplanes, speed tape and the Web have joined forces to create a scandal. The photo at the top of this column [not shown here on A.net] was sent to me by a reader several years ago. It shows the aft portion of a flap fairing. Yes that's speed tape, and yes those canoe-shaped fairings are noncritical. They're a streamlining device, mainly. They protect the flap extension tracks from damage and help smooth the airflow around them. My only gripe is the haphazard way in which the tape has been applied. Apparently the mechanic brought his eight year-old son to work and let him give it a try. Cockpit crews could help too in these situations through something as simple as a PA announcement.

One way or another, Ireland's Ryanair always manages to find itself in the news. Michael O'Leary, the carrier's flamboyant CEO, seems to thrive on publicity and controversy. Among O'Leary's off-the-wall pronouncements, you might recall, discussed here and here, was a proposal to lower crew costs by training flight attendants to sit in for the first officer. Cue caricature of Mr. O'Leary, a big piece of speed tape over his mouth.

Patrick Smith
Patrick Smith is an airline pilot, air travel columnist and author