KELPkid
Topic Author

Mid-air Collision Near PDX; 1 Dead, 2 Safe

Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:18 am

Here's the story:

http://www.kgw.com/news/Reports-of-p...ash-in-Newberg-area-132570558.html

A Piper Seminole belonging to a local flight school collided with an unidentified biplane (after watching the news reel this evening, it looks like the biplane was of mostly metal construction-kind of odd for most biplanes that I know of), and then made a safe off-field landing at Champoeg State Park (after both aircraft rained debris over several campers at the park). The collision happened about 4 miles WNW of UAO, on a very clear sunny afternoon. Beautiful flying weather this afternoon.

If the tail number of this Seminole is the one I think it is, it is one very unlucky bird (it has been severely damaged in at least one other accident).

My regards to the family of the deceased   
Celebrating the birth of KELPkidJR on August 5, 2009 :-)

KELPkid
Topic Author

RE: Mid-air Collision Near PDX; 1 Dead, 2 Safe

Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:25 pm

Apparently, the "Biplane" was a Beech V-35 Bonanza. Gotta love the media   That would definitely fit more in line with the debris from the second aircraft they showed us on the local news last night.

http://www.oregonlive.com/wilsonvill...eaverton_man_killed_in_midair.html

dinker225

Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:59 pm

I like how they said "the Portland International Airport Tower intercepted a radio transmission" in yesterday's article as if they were doing a drug bust or something.

Dinker
Two rules in aviation, don't hit anything and don't run out of gas, cause if you run out of gas yer gonna hit something.

KELPkid
Topic Author

Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:25 pm

Quoting dinker225 (Reply 2):
I like how they said "the Portland International Airport Tower intercepted a radio transmission" in yesterday's article as if they were doing a drug bust or something.

Dinker

LOL, I heard the tapes on the news this morning. They cited LiveATC.net, and the guy who called it in was flying a 172 and happened to witness the collision. He was talking to PDX approach at the time...and he was obviously freaked out of his mind (I probably would be, too, after watching someone auger in!).