LHRFlyer
Topic Author

Bmi Regional To Be Sold To Undisclosed Buyer

Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:53 pm

An internal memo has been sent today to bmi staff announcing that bmi Regional is expected to be sold by way of a share sale to an as yet undisclosed UK based investor. The deal is expected to complete by November and the airline will continue operate under the bmi brand and with the back office support of bmi for a transitional period.

richardw

RE: Bmi Regional To Be Sold To Undisclosed Buyer

Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:04 pm

Quoting LHRFlyer (Thread starter):
the airline will continue operate under the bmi brand and with the back office support of bmi for a transitional period.

...and what will happen at the end of the transitional period....will it be fastjet?

aamd11

Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:14 pm

There's an article on the BBC from a couple of days ago about a group of Scottish-based investors taking on bmi regional and turning into something a bit more Scottish.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-15453062

Related, perhaps?

LOWS

Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:44 pm

Quoting aamd11 (Reply 2):
There's an article on the BBC from a couple of days ago about a group of Scottish-based investors taking on bmi regional and turning into something a bit more Scottish.

The article says they want to disentangle BMI Regional from *A and work with a Scandinavian carrier. Since SK is in *, I guess they mean AY? Even QI is tied into SK with the FF and codeshare.

And if it was AY, why would they chose to tie up with a OW parter to BA?

EDI to HEL is quite a stretch on the ERJ135/45 not necessarily in terms of range (especially if they have the 145XR) but is in comfort/time.

UAL777UK

Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:45 pm

Quoting aamd11 (Reply 2):
something a bit more Scottish

Bring back the Caledonian girl in the tartan skirts etc.

Be interesting to see what happens

eicvd

Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:56 pm

Quoting lows (Reply 3):
The article says they want to disentangle BMI Regional from *A and work with a Scandinavian carrier.

My guess of who the Scandinavian carrier is would be the new City airline/Skyways, they have quite a few ERJ's aswell.
COYBIB

eurowings

Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:56 pm

Yes, it certainly is an interesting development. I believe it was mentioned on another forum that the winter flying programme will continue as usual. This is particularly significant as recently bmi Regional has been doing a considerable amount of flying for bmi mainline and also a few flights for Brussels Airlines.

It will be interesting to see what BD regional becomes, since if you take away the flying for BD mainline, Brussels Airlines and charters I think it's fair to say that the core routes are focused on Scotland. Looking at the English bases, at MAN and LBA - 2 out of the 3 destinations at each are to Scotland, only EMA doesn't feature this.
"Freddie Laker may be at peace with his Maker, but he is persona non grata with IATA."- HRH Duke of Edinburgh

LOWS

Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:09 pm

Quoting eicvd (Reply 5):
My guess of who the Scandinavian carrier is would be the new City airline/Skyways

But they are also linked to SK through codeshare and EuroBonus. Though, I will be the first to admit that I am probably reading too much into those comments about *A.

[Edited 2011-10-28 07:18:16]

JoeCanuck

Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:31 pm

From the article, this is my favorite part;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-15453062

Quote:
Now, the owner is watching the rumour swirl with studied Teutonic detachment. "There's a big bucket of possibilities," a spokesman told me - including a sale, downsizing or re-routing the network. "We are looking, for the BMI Group, into all options. We'll leave the rumours to everyone else, and make our decisions autonomously."
What the...?

eurowings

Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:57 pm

There's an article which confirms what has been said:

www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/l...se-to-selling-bmi-regional-364031/

"While the proposed buyer has not been identified, BMI said it was an investor group "previously associated with the regional business" and that discussions were "advanced".

It will be interesting to see who it is...

[Edited 2011-10-28 08:00:23]
"Freddie Laker may be at peace with his Maker, but he is persona non grata with IATA."- HRH Duke of Edinburgh

SomedayTrijet

Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:19 pm

Quoting lows (Reply 3):
The article says they want to disentangle BMI Regional from *A and work with a Scandinavian carrier. Since SK is in *, I guess they mean AY? Even QI is tied into SK with the FF and codeshare.

And if it was AY, why would they chose to tie up with a OW partner to BA?

EDI to HEL is quite a stretch on the ERJ135/45 not necessarily in terms of range (especially if they have the 145XR) but is in comfort/time.

You have confused the Scandinavian countries and the Nordic countries; Sweden, Norway, and Denmark is the three Scandinavian countries, while Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, and Iceland is the Nordic countries. This is very common, so don't worry.  

That would rule out AY, which makes believe this is the company we are looking for:

Quoting eicvd (Reply 5):
the new City airline/Skyways

Its the only Scandinavian carrier who I believe would fit the criteria and have an interest in taking over BMI regional.
Flown on: ATR72-5, E190, E195, A319/20/21, A332/3, A380, 734/6/G/8/9ER, 744, 752/3, 763ER/4ER, 772ER/LR, Q300, RJ100

vv701

Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:37 pm

Could we be going full circle?

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Gary Watt

Business Air, based in ABZ, was bought by BD and turned into bmi Regional that is still based in ABZ?

eurowings

Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:41 pm

Quoting VV701 (Reply 11):
Business Air, based in ABZ, was bought by BD and turned into bmi Regional that is still based in ABZ?

Doesn't bmi Regional still operate under the AOC of Business Air?

A City Airline/Skyways tie-up sounds like an interesting offer, although perhaps it could be Fastjet!  

MillwallSean

Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:07 pm

So if we go with the Scandinavian connection we have that Russian Ukrainian Maxwell etc registered in Cyprus that has ownership in Cimber-Skyways-City-Aerosvit right?

We have the new FlyBe with its Nordic subsidiary.

We also have what Wideroe and they are SK. Perhaps not to likely since their apparent comment on non Star.

What else a few smaller carriers like DAT and some Swedish players that seem to small.

Were basically stuck with two potential buyers.

FlyBe or a Russian Ukrainian with cash.
Both very plausible but by the look of it I still say the Russian Ukrainian makes more sense since he has said they are looking at more acquisitions.

(And if its him I say his next acquisition will be in German, but that's just investment banking gossip and that's as reliable as galley gossip so...)
No One Likes Us - We Dont Care.

LX138

Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:32 pm

A bit sad, the breakup has started but the operation as it stands is not sustainable. I still think either Eastern, Flybe/Fincomm or Loganair is involved in this somehow.

I think a standalone regional operation with a Scottish bias is a complete fantasy idea though, and under a new brand would last 18 months max.
StarWorld Team - The ultimate airline alliance

LOWS

Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:15 pm

Could DY be involved?

PlymSpotter

Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:18 pm

Quoting LX138 (Reply 14):
I still think either Eastern,

That was my initial thought too, they have/had quite a lot of cash on hand since they took over SZ and did a sale/leaseback on the three owned Dashes.

Dan  
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

Glom

Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:09 pm

But the most important thing is, what's this going to mean for Diamond Club?

planejamie

Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:42 pm

I have a feeling it will be City Airline... Purely because they're wikipedia page (I know, unreliable etc) states that "3 ex flybe aircraft due 2011" next to ERJ-145s on their fleet info. Now, a few of the ex BA and BE ERJs went to BD... BE haven't operated an ERJ for a few years now, so I suspect that it could be City Airline.

Or... Eastern? Regional group, bought out Air Southwest, already operates ERJs and are after some more...

I'm just speculating here, but those two are possibilities

PlymSpotter

Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:52 pm

Quoting planejamie (Reply 18):
I have a feeling it will be City Airline... Purely because they're wikipedia page (I know, unreliable etc) states that "3 ex flybe aircraft due 2011" next to ERJ-145s on their fleet info. Now, a few of the ex BA and BE ERJs went to BD... BE haven't operated an ERJ for a few years now, so I suspect that it could be City Airline.

There are still several ex BA/BE ERJ-145s stored at EXT.

Dan  

eurowings

Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:22 pm

I hope it's Eastern or City Airline/Skyways and not Flybe, I don't have anything against BE but I'd just rather they didn't become overly dominant in this market.

Quoting planejamie (Reply 18):
have a feeling it will be City Airline... Purely because they're wikipedia page (I know, unreliable etc) states that "3 ex flybe aircraft due 2011" next to ERJ-145s on their fleet info. Now, a few of the ex BA and BE ERJs went to BD... BE haven't operated an ERJ for a few years now, so I suspect that it could be City Airline.

I wouldn't read anything into that at all, since Flybe do have those ERJs. If BE were to take on BD Regional, they wouldn't want to keep their fleet long-term. In fact, I don't think Flybe would be keen on keeping the current programme flying!

[Edited 2011-10-28 14:26:22]

BrianDromey

Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:32 pm

Quoting EuroWings (Reply 20):
I hope it's Eastern or City Airline/Skyways and not Flybe, I don't have anything against BE but I'd just rather they didn't become overly dominant in this market.

Guys, read the memo. Clearly states that investors previously involved with the company. i.e. it is being sold back to it's former owners, from the Business Air days.
Next flights: MAN-ORK-LHR(EI)-MAN(BD); MAN-LHR(BD)-ORK (EI); DUB-ZRH-LAX (LX) LAX-YYZ (AC) YYZ-YHZ-LHR(AC)-DUB(BD)

eurowings

Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:41 pm

Quoting BrianDromey (Reply 21):
Guys, read the memo. Clearly states that investors previously involved with the company. i.e. it is being sold back to it's former owners, from the Business Air days.

Going off the article (no memo for me to read, I'm not staff!), it says "previously involved in the regional business". Is that the previous investors in Business Air? I didn't initially take it to mean that, but now that you point it out!

[Edited 2011-10-28 14:43:23]

LH121GLA

Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:51 pm

Does anyone care to speculate on routes yet?

iahflyer

Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:02 pm

Quoting LH121GLA (Reply 23):
Does anyone care to speculate on routes yet?

I'll bet BA will have more slots out of LHR.
Little airports with the big jets are the best!! Floyd

eurowings

Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:10 pm

Quoting iahflyer (Reply 24):
I'll bet BA will have more slots out of LHR.

BD Regional doesn't have any LHR slots as far as I know. All routes out of LHR are operated on behalf of BD mainline, which has not been sold yet.

vv701

Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:42 pm

Quoting EuroWings (Reply 25):
BD Regional doesn't have any LHR slots

I believe that bmi Regional currently operates these routes (excluding those operated on behalf of bmi main line):

ABZ to EBJ, GRQ, MAN and NWI
EDI to BRU, CPH, LBA, MAN and ZRH
GLA to CPH and LBA
EMA to BRU and FRA
LBA to BRU
MAN to LYS.

LH121GLA

Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:45 pm

Quoting EuroWings (Reply 25):
BD Regional doesn't have any LHR slots as far as I know. All routes out of LHR are operated on behalf of BD mainline, which has not been sold yet.

Yes, and I will be interested to see what happens to the flights that BD Regional operate for BD mainline. Interesting times ahead.

n9801f

Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:17 am

Quoting lows (Reply 15):
Could DY be involved?

This makes a lot of sense to me.

Lots of oil in Norway, and many of bmi's routes are oil-themed.

n9801f

Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:18 am

Quoting lows (Reply 15):
Could DY be involved?

This makes a lot of sense to me.

Lots of oil in Norway, and many of bmi regional's routes are oil-themed.

HighlandExpress

Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:17 am

Quoting LX138 (Reply 14):
I think a standalone regional operation with a Scottish bias is a complete fantasy idea though, and under a new brand would last 18 months max.

Why is it a fantasy & why you so sure about "18 months max?"
I am from Scotland, but I live in Germany.....

LX138

Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:19 pm

Quoting HighlandExpress (Reply 30):
Why is it a fantasy & why you so sure about "18 months max?"

Because I don't think theres a market for a new regional operation, particularly if it operated under a new brand - and probably not know to travellers. The yields would be low and the operational costs high. The CASM would be high if they kept their existing fleet and 18 months would be my estimated time they could relaunch and sustain themselves before the model proves it wouldn't work.

People seem to forget Maersk - did a very similar thing to whats going to happen here - lots of good ideas - before it eventually folded. And that was during a strong economy!

Just to confirm, its not my desire to see it happen. I would love to see BD regional stay with us, even under a new brand. Likewise a new/relaunched Scottish based carrier would be great.

James

nighthawk

Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:03 pm

Quoting LX138 (Reply 31):
Because I don't think theres a market for a new regional operation, particularly if it operated under a new brand - and probably not know to travellers. The yields would be low and the operational costs high. The CASM would be high if they kept their existing fleet and 18 months would be my estimated time they could relaunch and sustain themselves before the model proves it wouldn't work.

It's not really a "new" regional operation - bmi regional has been around for quite some time now. While I dont know how profitable they are, the fact they are still around suggests the current owners feel the business model is at least viable, why would a buyout from new owners make any difference to that?

The new brand is not that big a deal, a decent advertising campaign will soon sort that and show everyone the new name. Most of the routes they operate are predominantly business routes, and those using them probably fly with them regularly. They will soon get to know the new name and continue to fly them, as in many cases they are the only option on many of the routes.

People seem to forget Maersk - did a very similar thing to whats going to happen here - lots of good ideas - before it eventually folded. And that was during a strong economy!

To clarify, Maersk UK was bought out by their management, and rebranded to Duo, operating a duel base at BHX and EDI.
From what was said after they folded, not only were their ideas good, but also quite viable. The mistake they made though was focusing heavily on BHX. EDI flights were barely advertised, but it soon became clear that BHX was not working for them, and many routes were dropped and aircraft re-based to EDI, where they did reasonably well despite the lack of advertising. They were about to launch a major advertising drive to push the EDI flights, and were in the process of negotiating loans to pay for this. Unfortunately the loans never came, and the business was wound up. Most of this was due to the failure of the BHX hub, rather than EDI.

Therefore I dont see the failure of Duo being any indication that bmi regional cannot be successful as a Scottish based carrier. They pretty much are already.

LX138

Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:24 pm

Quoting nighthawk (Reply 32):
While I dont know how profitable they are, the fact they are still around suggests the current owners feel the business model is at least viable, why would a buyout from new owners make any difference to that?

But the current owners are selling it!.......

The new brand is not that big a deal, a decent advertising campaign will soon sort that and show everyone the new name. Most of the routes they operate are predominantly business routes, and those using them probably fly with them regularly. They will soon get to know the new name and continue to fly them, as in many cases they are the only option on many of the routes.

I admire your optimism, I really do, but if you had the chance to buy shares in the business - would you?

To clarify, Maersk UK was bought out by their management, and rebranded to Duo, operating a duel base at BHX and EDI.....it was viable.

LOL, but it wasn't viable though was it?

nighthawk

Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:17 pm

Quoting LX138 (Reply 33):
LOL, but it wasn't viable though was it?

The BHX base wasnt, the EDI base appeared to be. However the airline ran out of money before they could launch a major advertising campaign. No airline makes money from day one, you just need deep pockets to get through the loss making period, which Duo did not have. They may have been a success if funding could have been secured.

I admire your optimism, I really do, but if you had the chance to buy shares in the business - would you?

No, I wouldn't. I make a point of not investing in airlines, as the airline industry is far too cut throat. The Scottish market is also a very difficult market to serve, but given the right business plan, it should be profitable.

Lufthansa were forced to buy bmi, an airline which overall is currently losing money. It remains to be seen where the losses are coming from, I suspect it is probably from all divisions. But the fact they are selling it off does not mean that the business plan is wrong, just that it does not fit the owners requirements. If bmi regional was such a bad idea, bmi would have shut it down years ago.

LX138

Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:39 pm

Quoting nighthawk (Reply 34):
I make a point of not investing in airlines, as the airline industry is far too cut throat.

Haha so I digress.

Quoting nighthawk (Reply 34):
The Scottish market is also a very difficult market to serve, but given the right business plan, it should be profitable.

A majic wand? No seriously I value your argument.

PlymSpotter

Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:37 pm

The flip side to that is, why would anyone buy if the carrier was loss making? If you are going to re-brand anyway you might as well start from scratch unless you are going to have a positive cashflow or other tangible benefit from day one. I remember a conversation with somebody well informed on the matter, during which it was stated that bmi Regional are the strongest of the bmi trio, and broadly profitable.

LH bought bmi for the Heathrow slots, it just happened to come with a couple of ugly daughters. I can't see them having a hope in hell of selling baby; muddled routes and old aircraft, so they might as well flog Regional and the Heathrow slots to mitigate some of the massive losses the group brings them.

Dan  

Humberside

Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:15 am

Don't forget that bmi regional is more than just scheduled flights. They have an Airbus contract for which the brand is meaningless. Plus they have quite a bit of charter work, and any new owners would inherit the customer list and any current contracts, such as for football clubs. And for all this type of work, ERJ's are quite well suited. Furthermore there is the Brussels Airlines wetlease contract, which I'd guess wouldn't end on 'day one' of an independent bmi regional

Whether or not the investors looking to buy bmi regional want to do this sort of work long term is another matter, but it could provide useful income during rebranding

And with regards to the scheduled services, again new owners would probably inherit any corporate contracts bmi regional may have. And with some routes, customers have no easy alternative, e.g. ABZ-Esbjerg/Groningen, making it more likely customers would still 'find' a rebranded bmi regional. And these routes, aimed at the North Sea energy sector, are probably high yielding

The issues with rebranding, would indeed be significant. ERJ's are far from suitable for many scheduled routes. However the brand, and scheduled services aren't everything in this case
Visit the Air Humberside Website and Forum