SJOtoLIR
Topic Author

Central American Aviation Thread. Part 44

Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:44 pm

THE CENTRAL AMERICAN AVIATION THREAD
PART XLIV

"Tribute to Air Panama"

Air Panama International was founded in 1968 as a venture between the government of Panama and IBERIA who held the 33% of the stake. When IB pulled out approximately ten years later, the airline became fully state-owned.
The airline was obviously based at PTY and operated till 1989, being the main Panamanian airline in those days.
Destinations: Guatemala City, Chicago, Montreal, Los Angeles, New York JFK, Miami, Mexico City, Caracas, Bogota, Quito, Guayaquil, Lima.

The thread is ready for discussions and comments.
"Goin' up to the spirit in the sky"

viaggiare

RE: Central American Aviation Thread. Part 44

Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:14 am

Quoting SJOtoLIR (Thread starter):
Destinations: Guatemala City, Chicago, Montreal, Los Angeles, New York JFK, Miami, Mexico City, Caracas, Bogota, Quito, Guayaquil, Lima.

Equipment limitations aside, I wonder if there was any money to be made flying to the Caribbean back then.
Entre el fuerte y el débil, la libertad oprime. Sólo la ley libera.

SJOtoLIR
Topic Author

Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:35 pm

Quoting viaggiare (Reply 1):
if there was any money to be made flying to the Caribbean back then.

It's interesting how the [Panama City - the Caribbean] market wasn't attended by Air Panama International in those days.
More than 20 years ago, COPA discovered that untapped market flying to to Havana, Santo Domingo, San Juan, Port au Prince, Kingston and Montego Bay. Today, the [Panama - the Caribbean] sector is by far larger as compared to other Latin American stations: Bogota, Mexico City, San Jose, Lima, Santiago, Sao Paulo and so on.

Regards.

yellowtail

Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:42 pm

Quoting SJOtoLIR (Reply 2):
More than 20 years ago, COPA discovered that untapped market flying to to Havana, Santo Domingo, San Juan, Port au Prince, Kingston and Montego Bay. Today, the [Panama - the Caribbean] sector is by far larger as compared to other Latin American stations: Bogota, Mexico City, San Jose, Lima, Santiago, Sao Paulo and so on.

But the Caribbean market esp the DR was nowhere even close to what it is now.
When in doubt, hold on to your altitude. No-one has ever collided with the sky.

viaggiare

Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:24 pm

Earlier today the Cámara Nacional de Turismo expressed concern over 3Q2011 figures showing a 3.9% decrease in foreign visitors arriving by air to Costa Rica when compared to the same period last year.

SJOtoLIR
Topic Author

Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:56 am

Quoting viaggiare (Reply 4):
figures showing a 3.9% decrease in foreign visitors arriving by air to Costa Rica when compared to the same period last year.

I hopefully believe that these numbers will soar once the expansion in Liberia would be completed in November.

TACA and Sky Airlines from Chile begins code-share service:

TACA operated by Sky Airline:
Antofagasta - Lima
Santiago de Chile - Antofagasta
Santiago de Chile - Calama
Santiago de Chile - Concepcion
Santiago de Chile - El Salvador
Santiago de Chile - Iquique
Santiago de Chile - Temuco

Sky Airline Operated by TACA:
Lima - Cuzco
Lima - Santiago de Chile
Lima - Tarapoto
Lima - Trujillo

Effective: November 01st

Regards.

viaggiare

Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:21 pm

Quoting SJOtoLIR (Reply 5):
I hopefully believe that these numbers will soar once the expansion in Liberia would be completed in November

Just yesterday the departure tax was raised to US$28 so that the Chinchilla administration (which knows no limits in its fiscal voracity yet remains cash–strapped) can purchase and operate new customs and phytosanitary imaging equipment for Santamaría and Liberia airports.. the best part is it was done by executive decree, through a loophole (legal gymnastics involving Hacienda and the Servicio Fitosanitario del Estado) allowing the US$2 surcharge to be levied without legislative approval.

copa330200

Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:21 pm

http://www.prensa.com/impreso/muelle-norte-en-la-recta-final/36993

new PTY terminal seems to be almost ready and looking to get in operations by December.

the article says that the new terminal will be able to manage 747 and A380 ... but they didn't say if the rest of the airport is able to manage those birds   
On the run !!!

avi8

Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:39 pm

What's "terminal sur" going to look like? How many gates is it going to have? Why is the construction taking place so soon?
avi8

Medschool student

CM767

Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:48 am

"Terminal South" is a new concourse for PTY, nothing has been defined yet, some people mention 12 and others 20 new gates.

Here is a video. that shows a preliminary render of the new concourse:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18djcsQS4B0&feature=player_embedded#!

I heard that even with the new 12 gates that will be ready by December of this year, the terminal will operate at capacity, CM has plans to add about 20 to 30 new destinations in 5 years. that added to O/D passenger growth for PTY has forced a speedup on plans for terminal expansion, the government has plans to open a tender by the end of this year for the new concourse, not sure why, on some newspapers is been reported that is a new terminal, I believe that will be a new concourse on the existing terminal, at least that makes more sense.
But The Best Thing God Has Created Is A New Day

AA767LOVER

Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:46 am

Well, having flown through PTY many times, it looks like a whole new terminal to me altogether.
Airlines like Westjet (charters), Spirit, Delta, and AA can still use the old terminal while COPA and UA move to the new one along with Avianca/Taca - new Star Alliance partners. PTY will become Star Alliance's premier hub since SAL cannot measure up with its current facilities as TACA's hub. BOG is also undergoing major facelift. It'll be great to see what it looks like. The old way of arriving at El Dorado for non-Avianca flights was a royal pain. I had to clear customs for a TACA flight back in 2006, and re-check into another TACA flight. But the plus was being able to go to shopping zone and buy Colombian coffee and eat arepas!
J.I. Tsui, American Advantage Member, United Mileage Plus (Premier)

viaggiare

Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:11 pm

LIR is set to open its new US$41M state-of-the-art passenger terminal next week (17NOV) complete with thirty check-in counters, better security equipment and more retail space.

viaggiare

Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:55 pm

And coincidentally, bomberos will be on hand to welcome jetBlue's inaugural flight (1691) at 13:48 local.  

mt99

Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:41 pm

Quoting viaggiare (Reply 11):
state-of-the-art passenger terminal

For my own information, what makes a terminal "State of the Art"?
Step into my office, baby

viaggiare

Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:08 pm

Quoting mt99 (Reply 13):
what makes a terminal "State of the Art"?

One key characteristic would be integrating high–performance building attributes, such as energy efficiency, durability, life–cycle performance, occupant comfort and productivity, etc.

mt99

Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:41 pm

Quoting viaggiare (Reply 14):

One key characteristic would be integrating high–performance building attributes, such as energy efficiency, durability, life–cycle performance, occupant comfort and productivity, etc.

And what does that mean in concrete terms? It sounds like value judgement more than anything else  

Sorry - been in meeting with lawyers all day.. i am becoming like them..

SJOtoLIR
Topic Author

Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:58 pm

Quoting viaggiare (Reply 12):
bomberos will be on hand to welcome jetBlue's inaugural flight (1691) at 13:48 local.

American Airlines is also taking advantage of the new facilities increasing the MIA-LIR sector up to 13x weekly.

New frequencies at LIR:

November 12: AB DUS-CUN-LIR, 332. Every two weeks.
November 17: B6 JFK-LIR 4x weekly. NEW
November 17: AA MIA-LIR 9x to 13x weekly
January 07: DL MSP-LIR 1x weekly. NEW
January 07: US CLT-LIR; 1x to 2x weekly.
January 13: SY MSP-LIR; 1x weekly. NEW

I still haven't read any recent word related to the planned service of Blue Panorama in Liberia.

Regards.

viaggiare

Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:14 am

Quoting mt99 (Reply 15):
And what does that mean in concrete terms?

I suggest you look up high–performance building design in your spare time..

Quoting mt99 (Reply 15):
It sounds like value judgement more than anything else

Most of the attributes I mentioned (energy efficiency, durability and life–cycle performance) are fully quantifiable, meaning appropriate metrics and benchmarks do exist. And for those two that seem innately subjective (comfort and productivity) you could still create minimum and high performance standards by calculating occupant safety, which can be achieved in no small part by making the most of natural lighting and supplying higher indoor air quality.

[Edited 2011-11-07 16:16:58]

mt99

Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:27 am

Quoting viaggiare (Reply 17):
energy efficiency, durability and life–cycle performance) are fully quantifiable, meaning appropriate metrics and benchmarks do exist

Right.. so quantify for us how energy efficient will be the new airport, benchmarked again other similar airports. Is it LEED certified?

The fact that benchmark exists, does not mean that the benchmarks are being met, and at what level benchmark do you obtain: "State of the Art"

If there is a rating that got between 1-10 (1 being the highest), does rating 1 mean "State of the Art", does 2? does 3? where is the cut-off?

Quoting viaggiare (Reply 17):
you could still create minimum

Well, sure, you could.. - so you are saying that there are currently no standards to define these? How do you assume that it "State of the Art" of there are no currently defined standards?

2travel2know2

Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:11 am

Quoting SJOtoLIR (Thread starter):

As I remember, Air Panama flew to GUA because its DC9 couldn't make it non-stop from MEX to PTY. When they got B727-100, GUA was dropped and CM made it the final destination of its 1700h milk run PTY-SJO-SAL-GUA.
Looks like ORD and YMX were never served by Air Panama. Air Panama schedules map used to show a PTY-HAV-YMX route that seems was never operated.
LAX was served as a MEX tag-on but loads weren't good. I believe the Mexicans granted Air Panama traffc rights between MEX and LAX.
JFK was served via MIA, but some ex-Air Panama pilots have told me that there were few times when JFK was flown non-stop.
Air Panama never flew to UIO. GYE was stop enroute to LIM, but LIM did have some non-stop flights too.
Towards Air Panama final days, HAV was served from PTY but MIA was dropped (and flown by CM B737-200).

Quoting copa330200 (Reply 7):
new PTY terminal seems to be almost ready and looking to get in operations by December

Hope somebody thinks of moving the airport administration to the cargo area and free that space for 2-3 badly needed extra jet-ways for the North concourse.
I'm not on CM's payroll.

SJOtoLIR
Topic Author

Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:43 am

Speaking about the former Air Panama, wasn't just my imagination or the airline once operated the DC-10 painted in the full color-scheme?

Quoting 2travel2know2 (Reply 19):
CM made it the final destination of its 1700h milk run PTY-SJO-SAL-GUA

PTY-SJO-MGA-SAL-GUA during the Electra era and first stage of their orange Boeing 737s.

Quoting 2travel2know2 (Reply 19):
JFK was served via MIA, but some ex-Air Panama pilots have told me that there were few times when JFK was flown non-stop

I remember an old TV interview with Roberto Duran speaking about that legendary flight on Air Panama once he won a boxing match in New York City.
Perhaps Air Panama was the pioneer serving the [Panama City-New York City] sector back in the 70s.

Regards.

viaggiare

Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:24 am

Quoting mt99 (Reply 18):

Honestly, that was like a 2 or 3 on a trolling scale of 10. Not even amusing.   

mt99

Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:23 am

Quoting viaggiare (Reply 21):
Honestly, that was like a 2 or 3 on a trolling scale of 10. Not even amusing.  

"State of the Art" trolling? Ha..

(Sorry had a long day)  
Just pointing out that "state of the art" terminal really means nothing..

"state of the art" is really a non-sensical expression.

[Edited 2011-11-07 21:26:04]

viaggiare

Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:29 pm

Quoting mt99 (Reply 22):
"state of the art" terminal really means nothing.. "state of the art" is really a non-sensical expression

In the context it was used, that expression successfully conveys the notion that a structure is not only sleek but also cutting–edge, as it incorporates the newest and most up–to–date features. Unless the reader happens to be too finicky or fastidious with language, that is.

mt99

Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:20 pm

Quoting viaggiare (Reply 23):
successfully convey

Thats up for debate really..

But - in any case, it does look like a very nice airport and definitely (in my opinion) one of the better looking and modern ones in the region. A great addition, and a source of rightful pride to Costa Rica.

viaggiare

Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:27 pm

Quoting mt99 (Reply 24):
Thats up for debate really..

Isn't everything?  

Quoting mt99 (Reply 24):
But - in any case, it does look like a very nice airport and definitely (in my opinion) one of the better looking and modern ones in the region. A great addition, and a source of rightful pride to Costa Rica.

Glad you see it that way. 

viaggiare

Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:57 pm

Two pieces of promising news.. National Geographic Traveler magazine recently named Guatemala one of its Best of the World 2012 destinations.. and efforts are underway to boost the Guatemalan medical tourism industry.. hopefully this will translate into more airlines and more flights headed to GUA in the coming months.

juanchito

Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:53 pm

Quoting viaggiare (Reply 26):

Let's hope more airlines but I can see more Charter flights.

Juanchito
Fotografos de Aviacion de Guatemala. Spotter.
https://www.facebook.com/Fot%C3%B3grafo ... 661476921/

yellowtail

Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:59 pm

Quoting viaggiare (Reply 26):
Two pieces of promising news.. National Geographic Traveler magazine recently named Guatemala one of its Best of the World 2012 destinations.. and efforts are underway to boost the Guatemalan medical tourism industry.. hopefully this will translate into more airlines and more flights headed to GUA in the coming months.

Momentum is building again....PM service to FRS from BZE has started to grow again nicely.....36 pax today (3X208s)...all tourists.....

aer

Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:59 pm

Quoting yellowtail (Reply 28):
Momentum is building again....PM service to FRS from BZE has started to grow again nicely.....36 pax today (3X208s)...all tourists.....

Really nice, that's great for the local industry really.
nice and spacious airports in need of new airlines and flights... GUA or FRS anyone?... anyone at all?

SJOtoLIR
Topic Author

Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:46 am

Nature Air won the "Global vision award for sustainable Eco Travel" in their November 2011 issue.

"Nearly eight years after being recognized as the first Carbon Neutral airline in the world, we at Nature Air have continued to set the bar high, growing our conservation and social responsibility programs together with our company.
Despite our size, the scope of our work has succeeded in putting Costa Rica in the international spotlight on numerous occasions, through media coverage, speeches and awards. In just five years, we have received six of the eco-tourism industry's most important international recognitions."

Regards.

juanchito

Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:01 am

Quoting yellowtail (Reply 28):

Really nice I recently few Guatemala-Flores-Belice City-Placencia and backwards. Algo Tag to Flores was 1 flight with the Saab340 and 4 flights with the E110. Lot's of movements.

Juanchito
Fotografos de Aviacion de Guatemala. Spotter.
https://www.facebook.com/Fot%C3%B3grafo ... 661476921/

viaggiare

Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:12 am

Saw this one coming several years ago.. a story in prensa.com titled Panamá se acerca a Costa Rica presents statistics indicating that between 2006 and 2010, tourist arrivals grew 43% in Panamá, while Costa Rica reported an increase of only 20%.. according to these Consejo Centroamericano de Turismo figures, Costa Rica recorded a 4% decrease in tourist flow during 3Q2011, while Panamá experienced an increase of 11%.

Para este año las autoridades costarricenses esperan la visita de 2.2 millones de turistas, mientras que en Panamá se estima el arribo de 2 millones de visitantes.

yellowtail

Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:46 pm

Quoting juanchito (Reply 31):
Algo Tag to Flores was 1 flight with the Saab340 and 4 flights with the E110. Lot's of movements.

Technically one of the E110s is wetleased to PM for that flight. With loads building, methinks PM is soon going to have to get their own twin engine aircraft.      

2travel2know2

Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:53 pm

Quoting viaggiare (Reply 32):
Para este año las autoridades costarricenses esperan la visita de 2.2 millones de turistas, mientras que en Panamá se estima el arribo de 2 millones de visitantes.

Costarican authorities may expect 2.2. million visitors but if CM and the Panama Tourist sector are successful in enticing more and CM in-transit passengers go rhru Panamanian immigration/customs when travelling the number of tourists visiting Panama could easily be over 2.2 million next year. PTY connecting passenger statistic speak for itself.
I'm not on CM's payroll.

viaggiare

Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:06 am

We have a new arrival at Liberia later today..

AB7422 DUS0945 – 1405CUN1520 – 1720LIR 332 6 (twice monthly)
AB7423 LIR1850 – 2045CUN2230 – 1515+1DUS 332 6 (twice monthly)

2travel2know2

Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:47 pm

DAV airport promotion website
A group of business people from Chiriqui province has put together a website dedicated to promote service into the new improved DAV airport.
Worth noticing, the website lists the current San José - David service as operating from SYQ and not SJO.
Maybe in a possible future when CM starts PTY-DAV-SJO, Air Panama would move its flights from SJO to SYQ.
I'm not on CM's payroll.

viaggiare

Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:31 pm

Quoting 2travel2know2 (Reply 36):
the website lists the current San José - David service as operating from SYQ and not SJO

Further down it talks about going from San Juan, Costa Rica (SJO) to Albrook (PAC) to David (DAV)  

Quoting 2travel2know2 (Reply 36):
in a possible future when CM starts PTY-DAV-SJO

Although I was most thrown off by this statement.. Promotional operations managers at Air Panama have stated that they are in negotiations with Copa Airlines and may be purchased by them soon —wtf.

2travel2know2

Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:21 am

Quoting viaggiare (Reply 37):
Although I was most thrown off by this statement.. Promotional operations managers at Air Panama have stated that they are in negotiations with Copa Airlines and may be purchased by them soon —wtf.

And be named COPA REGIONAL?. While I may visualize CM flying again to DAV - if that Air Panama deal is true - from both PAC (domestic) and PTY (hub connections, stop enroute somewhere in Central America) with jet and probably to Changuinola and Bocas Island too, I don't see CM operating all Air Panama flights to Darien and Kuna Yala (San Blas islands).
What would CM do with Air Panama Fokker 70? Might trade-in for a couple of E175?, as CM likes to keep the aircraft type to the minimum.
Talking specifically about CM (then CM Regional former Air Panama) in DAV, the most likely scenario would be:
PAC-DAV twice daily with jet; once daily + extra flights depending on days with prop. This for the domestic Panamanian market.
PTY-DAV-XXX twice daily jet, XXX be some destinations in Central America (MIA out of the question for now) PTY departure/arrival times to match CM hub banks. This for international travel to/from DAV.
I'm not on CM's payroll.

viaggiare

Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:19 pm

Quoting 2travel2know2 (Reply 38):
if that Air Panama deal is true

As with all rumors and purported leaks, this is best taken with a grain of salt.. especially considering the source is an amateurish and hastily-put-together website sponsored by an ad hoc coalition of expats with business interests in David, Boquete, Boca Chica and La Barqueta.

[Edited 2011-11-13 13:28:38]

SJOtoLIR
Topic Author

Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:18 pm

Quoting viaggiare (Reply 37):
Air Panama have stated that they are in negotiations with Copa Airlines and may be purchased by them soon

The regional division from Copa Airlines derived from the purchase of Air Panama makes some sense to me.
Thus, the domestic and international services on Copa Airlines would be totally splitted in two and operating from PAC and PTY respectively.
Perhaps Chiriquí is not ready to support the [PTY-DAV] link for the time being by means of jet-line operations.
On the other hand, analyzing how TACA is operating in Central America, they have separated the regional and international divisions. In other words: one passenger cannot book to say [Los Angeles-Drake] covered into the same ticket. The right way is rather TA LAX-SJO and then RZ SJO-DRK separately.

Quoting 2travel2know2 (Reply 38):
stop enroute somewhere in Central America

I asked to myself: where does Copa Airlines mainline eventually fly the [DAV-Central America] sector based merely on the O&D traffic, besides SJO?

Regards.

viaggiare

Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:41 pm

Quoting SJOtoLIR (Reply 40):
I asked to myself: where does Copa Airlines mainline eventually fly the [DAV-Central America] sector based merely on the O&D traffic, besides SJO?

And let me guess.. the answer was nowhere else.. if so then I fully agree with you. 

2travel2know2

Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:55 am

Quoting SJOtoLIR (Reply 40):

MGA.
Remember Nicaraguans need transit visas to travel between Nicaragua and Panama by land. If CM was to operate PTY-DAV-MGA with E190, even if not daily, there would be a number of O/D passengers and could even include connecting to/from UA IAH @ MGA if schedule fits UA MGA operations.
Even if seasonal, there might be a DAV-Nicaragua VFR market, as people from Western Panama will find the DAV-MGA (and DAV-SJO) flight more convenient than heading to PTY to fly.
BTW, Right now all the Nicaraguan deportees from western Panama have to be transferred to PTY to board CM scheduled flights to MGA as they can't be sent by land.

So my guess for CM international operations @ DAV is:
E190 aircraft (ideally 2 class E175),
4pw-daily PTY-DAV-SJO +
3pw-daily PTY-DAV-MGA,
one of those services R.O.N. at the Central American airport. Once/twice weekly PTY-DAV-MIA may be lovely too, but may not have descent loads all year around.
I'm not on CM's payroll.

viaggiare

Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:12 am

Quoting 2travel2know2 (Reply 42):
Right now all the Nicaraguan deportees from western Panama have to be transferred to PTY to board CM scheduled flights to MGA as they can't be sent by land.

So the deportee express by Copa Airlines?  

SJOtoLIR
Topic Author

Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:11 am

Right now all the Nicaraguan deportees from western Panama have to be transferred to PTY to board CM scheduled flights to MGA as they can't be sent by land.

I doubt if this group really represents a profitable venture for CM.
The [DAV-SJO] O&D market is being attended by 50-seater turbo-prop planes and it just operates thrice a week.
I rather see some potential for the [DAV-MIA] segment as we previously commented here about some seasonal services in such route.
CM is a very profitable airline and they have dormant destinations that may run successfully in the future. I include DAV in that list, but as the simple [DAV-PTY] segment allowing healthy connections through Tocumen International Airport. I'm not sure about the suitable plane and frequencies as pointing out before.
I know LIR couldn't be fairly compared to DAV, but even LIR is not capable to sustain jet-line operations to somewhere else in Central America. The existence of TACA REGIONAL [SAL-LIR] 4x weekly on ATR-42 is justified in their connections at SAL.

Regards.

2travel2know2

Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:10 am

Quoting SJOtoLIR (Reply 44):
I doubt if this group really represents a profitable venture for CM.

the deportees mention was just sort of side-note.
However, DAV catchment area could probably hold a current demand for 150+ weekly air passengers to/from MGA.

The [DAV-SJO] O&D market is being attended by 50-seater turbo-prop planes and it just operates thrice a week.

Which mean that if CM would fly E190 from PTY to SJO via DAV, be thrice weekly up to daily, 50 hub passengers would connect to DAV @ PTY, while other 50 passengers might be the DAV-SJO O/D.
The reason Air Panama DAV-SJO flights have had a limited success is that it only runs thrice weekly and flght doesn't allow any immediate connections to/from other airlines @ SJO. A CM DAV-SJO (or DAV-MGA for that matter) would allow DAV passngers to connect immediately with CM and UA (maybe w/ Star Alliance US too) without the need to go thru immigration and customs @ SJO.

I rather see some potential for the [DAV-MIA] segment as we previously commented here about some seasonal services in such route.

I doubt CM would stop any of the daily PTY-MIA in DAV, not so doubtful is if CM would dare add extra flights to MIA routed via DAV, be on B737 or E190 if it gets guarantee from DAV travel agencies and operators with programmes in Chiriqui for such a service. I'm pretty sure there are several times every year when a non-stop flight between DAV and MIA may work.

I know LIR couldn't be fairly compared to DAV, but even LIR is not capable to sustain jet-line operations to somewhere else in Central America

Has TA tried to fly SJO-LIR-SAL (linking 2 hubs) with E190? But most the kind of traffic LIR gets is leisure flying non-stop from hubs, no real Guanacaste O/D, while in an event CM operates DAV as a stop enroute to SJO and/or MGA, DAV traffic might have a huge local non-leisure related O/D component.
I'm not on CM's payroll.

viaggiare

Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:21 am

Even if seasonal, there might be a DAV-Nicaragua VFR market

Yeah.. for Tracopa and TicaBus! lots of VFR traffic during Easter and Christmas/New Years holiday season, but folks holding an unrestricted airline ticket back to Managua can still legally go through the Paso Canoas border crossing.

even LIR is not capable of sustaining jet-line operations to somewhere else in Central America.

viaggiare

Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:23 am

Quoting 2travel2know2 (Reply 45):
Has TA tried to fly SJO-LIR-SAL (linking 2 hubs) with E190?

Nope.. the cartel ain't that smart.  

yellowtail

Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:25 pm

Today....PM announced service to TWH (Orange Walk) in Belize.

http://www.ambergristoday.com/conten...dro-orange-walk-flights-tropic-air

That brings the permanent (i.e with a physical station) destinations served to 11 in Belize and should be about it....no where else they can go in Belize. But they can connect lots more dots.

They get two new Caravans on Friday fresh from Cessna

BZE-SAP starts March 1. BZE-RTB Starts March 3.

And LOTS more cool stuff in the pipeline. For sure TA is going to start to take notice.

viaggiare

Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:07 am

Quoting yellowtail (Reply 48):
destinations served to 11 in Belize and should be about it

All their domestic traffic currently goes through TZA or is there limited point–to–point service?

no where else they can go in Belize

How far apart are the municipal and international airports and how are pax shuttled back and forth?

BZE-SAP starts March 1. BZE-RTB Starts March 3

I want to see CUN prior to becoming a full–blown believer.  

LOTS more cool stuff in the pipeline. For sure TA is going to start to take notice

Start adding more international destinations and the cartel shall unleash its wrath.