Matt D
Topic Author

Another Reno Air

Fri Oct 06, 2000 2:59 am

Now that Reno Air is lying peacefully in its grave and American has abandoned QQ's hometown, does anyone think or know if we'll get another one? Reno clearly showed that there is indeed enough traffic to support a hub at Cannon Int'l. Reno was also a refreshing alternative to the cattle car call of Southwest.

The death of AirCal brought Reno Air.
The death of PSA brought us Southwest.
the death of PEOPLExpress brought us Valujet.
And so on.
So how long before the death of Reno Air brings us in the West a new product of that style?
Or will we be stuck with the likes of WN forever?

hawaiian717

RE: Another Reno Air

Fri Oct 06, 2000 3:18 am

Keep an eye on Allegiant Air. If they're careful, they could be the next big west coast short-haul carrier. How much they'll bring to RNO has yet to be seen, at the moment their destinations from RNO are FAT and PDX.

Matt D
Topic Author

Hawaiian 717

Fri Oct 06, 2000 3:38 am

Hmmm....Interesting point. They've been around for 2 years now, so they must be doing something right. Perhaps staying low key and slowly building a customer base?
Think they'll step up to some MD-80's and/or 717's?

hawaiian717

RE: Hawaiian 717

Fri Oct 06, 2000 3:43 am

Don't know what's happening with them fleet wise. When I was at LGB this summer one of their employees mentioned that they were going to start LGB-South Lake Tahoe with Do328s (don't remember if it was to be the jet or prop version); in any case they started the route but used the DC-9s.

superdawg

Fri Oct 06, 2000 4:04 am

Allegiant Air seems to be doing things right at the moment, you don't here too much about them but that could be for the better. In another note, on of their DC-9's visited my hometown Calgary (YYC) a few months back. Why? I don't know exactly, don't think it was for maintenance although Vanguard had a 737 here for more then a month for maintenance. My guess would be route proving flight or charter? Maybe someone here can shed some light on this.

Superdawg

Fri Oct 06, 2000 1:09 pm

Allegiant does a lot of charter work and that is probably why their plane was at YYC.