NZ1
Crew
Topic Author

New Zealand Aviation Thread Part 105

Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:37 am

Continuation from here: New Zealand Aviation Thread Part 104 (by cchan Oct 21 2011 in Civil Aviation)

NZ1
--
✈ NZ1 / Mike
Head Forum Moderator
www.airliners.net
www.twitter.com/airliners_net

JMM99

RE: New Zealand Aviation Thread Part 105

Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:09 am

from part 104 .......

Just wondering if anyone knows the likelihood of Qantas's daily A330 service AKL-LAX switching to Jetstar in the near future? And if the Qantas strikes would have had any impact on this?

Surely, this will be looked at much sooner now.

It also give QF a back door to get QF passengers to LAX if more strikes or something similar happens come 21NOV.

QF could get passengers across Tasman to AKL via JQ & then JQ AKL/LAX. Not ideal but better than being stuck for days.

They could also ramp up JQ services AKL/LAX. Is there any reason why QF couldn't find more 332's (from other airlines or QF itself) to operate AKL/LAX & hub at AKL like NZ does.

Can QF use a QF A332 with JQ pilots/fliught attendants on AKL/LAX/AKL ?

Or surely if QF wanted they could do what DJ was going to do, bring in NZ, EY aircraft to operate international routes under a DJ/VA code.

THis bloody QF dispute is a long long way from over. Businesses are trying to support QF because it's all about union power & how they can currently bankrupt any business.

cchan

Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:06 am

Quoting JMM99 (Reply 1):
Just wondering if anyone knows the likelihood of Qantas's daily A330 service AKL-LAX switching to Jetstar in the near future? And if the Qantas strikes would have had any impact on this?

Surely, this will be looked at much sooner now.

It also give QF a back door to get QF passengers to LAX if more strikes or something similar happens come 21NOV.

They probably need more than 21 days to organise a switch even if they want to use JQ on some routes.

777ER
Crew

Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:19 am

Just read on a thread about ZK debt problems and an employee said that 7x 1900Ds on lease are being returned shortly and some are apparantly bound for New Zealand. Is NZ or a charter company (Vincent Aviation?) expecting any 1900D deliverys soon?
Head Forum Moderator
moderators@airliners.net

Zkpilot

Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:45 am

I'm not sure if the JQ A332s have the legs especially in a high density configuration. QF uses HGW A332s and even then it is a bit of a stretch.
56 types. 38 countries. 24 airlines.

alangirvan

Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:05 am

An alternative would be to transfer a couple of A332s to the Jetconnect operation. This would involve transferring some A332 pilots to NZ conditions.

One battle that AJ did not win when he was at Jetstar was when he wanted to operate the 717s on behalf of Qantas in WA. That operation was given to Cobham. There are examples of airlines operating planes on behalf of other airlines, for instance GB Air, British Mediterranean operating planes, painted as BA planes. So Jetstar could operate planes painted as Qantas planes, and with Qantas seating configurations.

NZ5

Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:33 am

Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but there are rumours flying around Twitter that NZ's 5th 77W, ZK-OKQ, will be painted in the All Blacks 'Crazy About Rugby' scheme which will arrive around the start of next year.

http://i554.photobucket.com/albums/jj407/AirNewZealand_A320/ZKOJP.jpg

ZKOJH

Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:52 am

think NZ1 said in the last page, that ''IT'' will happen along with some more of the domestic fleet, eagle air were going do 3 of their aircraft i think,

any updates on the International review yet??
Vietnam time..

zkeoj

Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:57 am

Quoting NZ5 (Reply 6):
Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but there are rumours flying around Twitter that NZ's 5th 77W, ZK-OKQ, will be painted in the All Blacks 'Crazy About Rugby' scheme which will arrive around the start of next year.

yup, no rumours: 1 B77W, a second A320, and 3 Beech1900Ds will be in the black colours...

Cheers
micha

nz2

Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:33 am

Hi guys, anyone able to offer feedback about the new PE seats since they have had a row removed. When I last flew PE in old configuration in the window seats, the window seat was fine but the aisle was a bit cramped, even for me at 5'7. Has that improved with the extra 6 inches? Just about to book flights for the wife and I to LHR tomorrow so the decision is to go for the middle row or the windows. I am tending to lean towards the middle seats for ease of access, Unfortunately no bulkhead seats available currently....

thanks
NZ2

NZ1
Crew
Topic Author

Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:29 am

Quoting ZKEOJ (Reply 8):

Will be more than one more A320.

NZ1
--
✈ NZ1 / Mike
Head Forum Moderator
www.airliners.net

aerorobnz

Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:41 am

Quoting nz2 (Reply 9):
Has that improved with the extra 6 inches?

majorly better. seriously. It feels like a different cabin. There is now space to move. Still the recline 'forward' into the seat may take some adjustment if you aren't used to it, but at least if you do 'recline' your legs don't suffer like they did.

Couples invariably select the middles, though the window seats are not as hard to get in and out of as they were. I don't think you will lose either way.
Flown to 120 Airports in 44 Countries on 73 Operators. Visited 55 Countries and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

koruman

Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:24 am

The Jetstar AKL-LAX suggestion looks absurd to me.

Firstly, it eliminates all the high-yielding passengers whom Qantas currently carry for themselves and American Airlines and BA, as JQ flights earn neither miles nor status.

Secondly, Jetstar's existing HNL services get very limited connecting traffic as JQ won't connect luggage. No Australian will connect at AKL to fly to the USA if they have to reclaim their luggage and check-in again, going through customs and passport control twice, whereas on NZ they don't have to go landslide at all.

Having said that, the current Qantas management team seems entirely indifferent to alienating their passengers, so they would probably do it.......

777ER
Crew

Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:15 am

Quoting koruman (Reply 12):

JQ now work with OneWorld so connections are possible and a wider customer base. JQ would be fantastic competition for NZ and to some extent UA/CO
Head Forum Moderator
moderators@airliners.net

aerokiwi

Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:36 am

Quoting ZKEOJ (Reply 8):
yup, no rumours: 1 B77W, a second A320, and 3 Beech1900Ds will be in the black colours...

Aren't they a little ate for this? What's the point? Next season? NZ doesn't even sponsor the domestic competition anymore so they can't be all that crazy about rugby.

NZdsgnr

Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:10 am

Quoting aerokiwi (Reply 14):
Aren't they a little ate for this? What's the point? Next season? NZ doesn't even sponsor the domestic competition anymore so they can't be all that crazy about rugb

Why late? Are the All Blacks dead? because really that's who they are sponsoring

"Air New Zealand extends ABs sponsorship, stocks up on black paint"
http://www.stoppress.co.nz/news/2011/10/after-the-cup/

sunrisevalley

Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:31 pm

Quoting aerokiwi (Reply 14):
Aren't they a little ate for this? What's the point? Next season? NZ doesn't even sponsor the domestic competition anymore so they can't be all that crazy about rugby.

I agree. Who are they trying to convince doing up a 77W in black. In my view the whole exercise is about making NZ'ers feel good about themselves and a bit of in your face to the Australians if one of the black birds happens to make it to Aus. Nothing wrong with that I suppose but I can't see it creating any favorable long term image in LAX or LHR. Ultimately this color scheme will be compared to the many hundreds of others around the world and I suggest that it will come up a way short on any livery asthetics popularity poll.

cchan

Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:27 pm

Quoting SunriseValley (Reply 16):
Who are they trying to convince doing up a 77W in black.

And they should have some variation in the design between aircrafts. Having 5 planes looking the same doesn't make it interesting anymore to those in New Zealand who have more chance of encountering them.

aerokiwi

Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:26 pm

Quoting NZdsgnr (Reply 15):
Why late? Are the All Blacks dead? because really that's who they are sponsoring

That's nice. But the RWC has been and gone and I think it's fair to say they've missed the boat. And given the importance of the domestic competition to the All Blacks, it seems weird not to sponsor that but still claim you're "crazy about rugby". Arguably, ITM is a little more crazy about rugby.

I dunno, NZ marketing is weird of late. D-list "celebrities", Ricco, rugby promotion well and truly after the largest rugby event in local history is over - all makes for a weird image, which is apparently pretty important to the airline.

TravellerPlus

Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:57 pm

Secondly, Jetstar's existing HNL services get very limited connecting traffic as JQ won't connect luggage. No Australian will connect at AKL to fly to the USA if they have to reclaim their luggage and check-in again, going through customs and passport control twice, whereas on NZ they don't have to go landslide at all.

Sorry, but not applicable. The lack of baggage through check only relates to international to domestic connections.

An Australian connecting in AKL would not need to clear customs if transfering between JQ international flights. JQ has offered baggage through check for international to international connections for many years now. http://www.jetstar.com/nz/en/planning-and-booking/flight-connections
What goes around comes around....unless your luggage is not on the carousel...

zkeoj

Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:46 am

Quoting NZ1 (Reply 10):

thanks, NZ1. The NZ person we had at work recently only mentioned the second A320, and so did a newspaper article. I for one are happy with more planes in that colour scheme (and I am not a rugby person at all).

In my view the whole exercise is about making NZ'ers feel good about themselves

And what is wrong with that?

and a bit of in your face to the Australians if one of the black birds happens to make it to Aus.

The first one was painted LONG before the RWC, and had the cup gone the other way this argument wouldn't hold.

I just don't get this constant negativity about Air NZ on here. But I guess it is just normal. Germans moan about LH, Canadians about AC, and - well - Kiwis about NZ....

Just my 2 cents
micha

PA515

Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:55 am

Quoting aerokiwi (Reply 18):
I dunno, NZ marketing is weird of late. D-list "celebrities", Ricco, rugby promotion well and truly after the largest rugby event in local history is over - all makes for a weird image, which is apparently pretty important to the airline.

Agreed. It's a mistake to apply the black aircraft concept to an AKL-LAX-LHR aircraft. Painting a 77W black is pathetic, and costly to repaint. I hope they reconsider.

PA515

aerokiwi

Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:24 am

Quoting ZKEOJ (Reply 20):
I just don't get this constant negativity about Air NZ on here.

I don't think it's constant at all. There's praise and criticism, perhaps not in equal measure, but I'm not sure how interesting the conversation would be if we all just stuck our tongues down the back of NZ's proverbial trousers (thank you Rick  )

Just my 2 cents

Exactly. And most of what you hear in the forum is everyone else's two cents. I actually think the 77W would look pretty spectacular, though I'm not a fan of the miniature koru on the tailfin. I just don't get the point (wasn't New Zealand supposed to be about ore than rugby?) and hope it doesn't become the defacto new livery.

aerorobnz

Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:53 pm

Quoting PA515 (Reply 21):
Agreed. It's a mistake to apply the black aircraft concept to an AKL-LAX-LHR aircraft

It actually makes sense for it to be the 77W which is target market of UK/Australia appropriate, and they just signed the sponsorship deal with the ABs basically until the next World Cup. It is easier and indeed cheaper to have the first paintjob ex boeing done rather than repainting an older aircraft to be black.
Flown to 120 Airports in 44 Countries on 73 Operators. Visited 55 Countries and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

sunrisevalley

Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:23 pm

I just don't get this constant negativity about Air NZ on here

Not guilty. My comments were confined to the "black" livery not to the quality of the product delivered to customers. In my view a "black" 77W does nothing to reinforce the quality of the product offered or the in-flight atmosphere. To me it suggests a funereal experience. Of course that is my opinion and I would welcome audited market research data that proves opposite.

TravellerPlus

Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:06 pm

Quoting aerokiwi (Reply 22):
I actually think the 77W would look pretty spectacular, though I'm not a fan of the miniature koru on the tailfin.

I share this view. Slight miss with the Koru, but stunning otherwise. The black will stand out at any airport the 77W visits. Thumbs up to Air NZers on and off the forum for this one.

As for all this business about black being difficult to maintain, I'd hardly say that Royal Jordanian (the only other black liveried airline I can think of) is well know for shabbly looking planes. They consistently look very well turned out.

Kiwirob

Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:44 pm

Quoting NZ1 (Reply 10):

NZ1

By this comment are you implying that this is the new livery for NZ, it's pretty easy to remove the 'crazy about rugby' tag line.

QF108

Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:51 pm

Hi team have 3 questions im hoping for answers to,

1. When did Atlas Air stop flying for NZ Cargo, was on the NZ Cargo part of the website recently and it all seems to be done in the cargo hold of the passenger aircraft now. Apologies if this stopped years ago, havent been up to AKL for a while and we dont get the Atlas Air B744's down here in Chch

2. Re the Mount Cook Airline and their use of flight numbers in the callsign, it was my understanding they used just the two digits unless the first of those two numbers was a zero and then it became a single number on the callsign. Have heard in recent times whilst on the scanner some Mount Cook flights are using 3 digit callsigns, just would like to now why 1 or 2 numbers with some and then 3 with others like, Air Nelson and Eagle Airways use

3. And finally the Airwork fokkers, what is their nightly routing please and where are they based during the day please, AKL would seem like one home to them but wikipedia says they operate 3?? And do they ever fly during daylight hours ?

Thanks for any help
Blessed are the Cheesemakers !

NZ1
Crew
Topic Author

Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:33 pm

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 26):

Not at all. I meant it will be more than 1 A320  

NZ1
--
✈ NZ1 / Mike
Head Forum Moderator
www.airliners.net

zkeoj

Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:40 pm

Hey guys

thanks for the responses. Now, I realise my post sounded a bit negative aqs well, haha.

if we all just stuck our tongues down the back of NZ's proverbial trousers

You are right, and I would never ask for that. I have no direct connection to NZ, and as a Gold Card holder I have soe gripes with tem as well, especially with the FF program. Having said that, I have seen very little parise, and a lot of criticism - that was my point  
hope it doesn't become the defacto new livery.

100% agree! I love that livery, but I would not like to see it as THE livery. I love the green/teal tails with the koru.

Quoting TravellerPlus (Reply 25):
Slight miss with the Koru, but stunning otherwise.

Agreed again. While the koru is THE logo of NZ, it looks a bit odd on the tail.

Quoting QF108 (Reply 27):
where are they based during the day please

As far as I know, one is based in Palmerston North, but not entirely sure.

Cheers
micha

kiwiandrew

Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:17 pm

Quoting ZKEOJ (Reply 29):
Quoting TravellerPlus (Reply 25):
Slight miss with the Koru, but stunning otherwise.

Agreed again. While the koru is THE logo of NZ, it looks a bit odd on the tail.

I have to admit that for this particular temporary livery it would have been best to have left the Koru off altogether. I absolutely hate how it looks like some afterthought slapped on with no thought or consideration. A bit rich considering how Rob Fyfe spouted off at the labour party for misusing the Koru. Apart from that I quite like it as a temporary livery, but it would be hideous as a permanent one.

aerorobnz

Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:40 pm

1. When did Atlas Air stop flying for NZ Cargo, was on the NZ Cargo part of the website recently and it all seems to be done in the cargo hold of the passenger aircraft now. Apologies if this stopped years ago, havent been up to AKL for a while and we dont get the Atlas Air B744's down here in Chch

Probably 2 years ago now. Shortly after QF started leasing N409MC to fly under the QF flight number. It had previously been the aircraft used by NZ.

nzstevenc

Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:08 am

With the likely demise of BD flights, I'm wondering how much connecting traffic does NZ put on BD flights from LHR to EDI, BHD, DUB?

There are currently BD flights from LHR to TXL, BSL, VIE, however one could assume that these flights will be picked up by LH/LX/OS.

MAN and ABZ are currently served by BMI Regional which IAG will not be buying.

Could this strengthen the case to restart FRA services for LH connections? For Britain there would be additional connections to BHX, NCL and GLA, not to mention LH's European services.

Or will NZ just do more interlining with BA & EI?

If NZ were keen to plug this in, could it mean...

NZ1/2 AKL-LAX-LHR x7
NZ5/6 AKL-LAX-MAN x4
NZ5/6 AKL-LAX x3
NZ7/8 AKL-SFO-LHR x4
NZ7/8 AKL-SFO x3
NZ36/37 AKL-HKG-FRA x4
NZ38/39 AKL-HKG-LHR x3

aerorobnz

Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:25 am

NZ are not going to operate anything new to UK/Europe for the foreseeable future - if ever.. That much is just about a certainty. There are focuses much closer to home to sort out, and Lufthansa would never tolerate a whippersnapper from their own alliance moving in on their turf. There really is no point operating new routes at a loss. I'm not expecting any new multi-sector flights from NZ. As much as we all want them.

NZ is not in a position to be a global legacy carrier. It is a niche carrier to a niche market. A big fish in a small pond as it were. That is how it survives.

ZKSUJ

Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:34 am

Re the Mount Cook Airline and their use of flight numbers in the callsign, it was my understanding they used just the two digits unless the first of those two numbers was a zero and then it became a single number on the callsign. Have heard in recent times whilst on the scanner some Mount Cook flights are using 3 digit callsigns, just would like to now why 1 or 2 numbers with some and then 3 with others like, Air Nelson and Eagle Airways use

Basically just drop the 5 from the front and thats the call sign

JMM99

Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:35 am

The Jetstar AKL-LAX suggestion looks absurd to me.

Firstly, it eliminates all the high-yielding passengers whom Qantas currently carry for themselves and American Airlines and BA, as JQ flights earn neither miles nor status.

Having said that, the current Qantas management team seems entirely indifferent to alienating their passengers, so they would probably do it.......

yes but if on or about 21NOV, QF is shut down or unions go on strike, it give Qantas a way to get passengers to LAX.

They could easily arrange interlining of baggage.

Just because it would be JQ or Jetconnect Australia/AKL & JQ AKL/LAX doesn't mean that you couldn't be a transit passenger at AKL.

Hell this is war with the unions & things may have to change in a hurry.

21NOV is awfully close to Australian school holidays. Many Qld schools go on holiday 2 December + lots of uni students head over to USA/Canada to work during thier holidays which start late DEC, although not sure how many of them would be flying QF as usually they want cheap, but NOV is low season.

mariner

Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:39 am

Quoting aerorobnz (Reply 33):
As much as we all want them.

Well, not quite all of us - I don't want them.

I would be very happy to see Air NZ stick basically to what it has in the way of Europe and the USA and concentrate on building up Asia.

Even with India, the idea of non-stops AKL-BOM makes me shiver. AKL-Australia-BOM? Fine.

mariner

[Edited 2011-11-04 22:40:42]
aeternum nauta

byronicle6

Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:27 am

Quoting mariner (Reply 36):
I would be very happy to see Air NZ stick basically to what it has in the way of Europe and the USA and concentrate on building up Asia.

I agree! With Asia being the growth centre of the world NZ should focus any new long haul routes to Asia such as AKL-NGO, AKL-BOM or AKL-CGK/DPS. Or a long haul from CHC to HKG to connect with UK & Europe. Would also be good to see an AKL-GIG in time for the FIFA world cup and/or Olympics
Travel is my thing

Mr AirNZ

Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:33 am

Quoting JMM99 (Reply 35):
yes but if on or about 21NOV, QF is shut down or unions go on strike, it give Qantas a way to get passengers to LAX.

I have no desire to debate the issue around QF vs the unions but have you read what the FWA ordered termination means? It removes the lock out/strike options available and forces the parties to reach a solution.

P.S. Lovely to see you back REALDEAL   

Zkpilot

Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:47 am

3. And finally the Airwork fokkers, what is their nightly routing please and where are they based during the day please, AKL would seem like one home to them but wikipedia says they operate 3?? And do they ever fly during daylight hours ?

A few years ago they were doing AKL-PMR-CHC by night then presumably the return trip during the day.
56 types. 38 countries. 24 airlines.

cchan

Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:18 am

Quoting JMM99 (Reply 35):

Are JQ and QF on different air operator certificates? Can JQ do AKL-LAX without some sort of application to both governments? Will customers booked on AKL-LAX be happy to (be forced to) get JQ service without prior notice? Why would QF bother too much about LAX bound passengers while many more Africa, Asia and Europe bound and domestic passengers are going to be stranded anyway? ... Can a switch to JQ be practically done within 2 weeks?

Quoting Mr AirNZ (Reply 38):
I have no desire to debate the issue around QF vs the unions but have you read what the FWA ordered termination means? It removes the lock out/strike options available and forces the parties to reach a solution.

That is my understanding too.

PA515

Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:02 pm

Quoting aerorobnz (Reply 23):
Quoting PA515 (Reply 21):
Agreed. It's a mistake to apply the black aircraft concept to an AKL-LAX-LHR aircraft

It actually makes sense for it to be the 77W which is target market of UK/Australia appropriate, and they just signed the sponsorship deal with the ABs basically until the next World Cup. It is easier and indeed cheaper to have the first paintjob ex boeing done rather than repainting an older aircraft to be black.

But what's the point of targeting UK and Australian passengers with an 'All Black' aircraft? They support other teams. Conversely, if we had a green and gold 'Wallabies' aircraft through AKL twice a week would that make Kiwis want to fly QF? I think it would have the opposite effect.

It's not cheaper to get a factory paintjob, just cost neutral if you intend to keep it that way for the seven year lifespan of the paintjob. What I meant was that it's more expensive to repaint a black 77W than a black A320 or 1900D, back to the standard colour scheme.

And on the subject of paintjobs, will there be a new colour scheme within seven years? Perhaps the new CEO will have another look at it.

PA515

PA515

Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:32 pm

Quoting Mr AirNZ (Reply 38):
P.S. Lovely to see you back REALDEAL

Thought so too. The capitals in the username are a giveaway, plus other traits. And still 'working in a travel agency' after all those previous posts during work time!

PA515

BlackLabel

Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:37 pm

Quoting PA515 (Reply 41):
Conversely, if we had a green and gold 'Wallabies' aircraft through AKL twice a week would that make Kiwis want to fly QF? I think it would have the opposite effect.

I think you'll find most passengers won't notice - or care - what the outside of the aircraft says.

nzstevenc

Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:36 pm

Quoting aerorobnz (Reply 33):
NZ are not going to operate anything new to UK/Europe for the foreseeable future - if ever.. That much is just about a certainty. There are focuses much closer to home to sort out, and Lufthansa would never tolerate a whippersnapper from their own alliance moving in on their turf.

I don't see that it's up to LH. They've tolerated NZ services to FRA before. Sure, they could try and muscle NZ out, but would they really be bothered? In addition to NZ's services which ran to 2001, they also tolerate fellow *A SQ's use of the fifth freedom, operating SIN-FRA-JFK.

EDICHC mentioned in the IAG buys BMI thread:

Quote:
I won't miss LHR at all, even though it may be in a very small sense, my $$$ will be spent in FRA rather than LHR. It might not be much but it is ultimately $$$ lost to LHR retailers.

So, let's assume BMI is swallowed by IAG and that NZ maintain the status quo. What are passenger options between New Zealand and outlying ports like EDI, GLA, DUB? Who (among the airlines) are the winners?

A few options:
1. Fly Emirates via Australia, Dubai and on to MAN, BHX, GLA, NCL, DUB (from January)
2. Fly AKL-LHR on NZ and make separate arrangements (LCC, rail)
3. Fly AKL-LHR on NZ and interline on BA/EI for British & Irish destinations, or use other *A partners to other European destinations
4. Fly to a California or Asia port on NZ, then LH/LX/OS to a *A hub in Europe to connect to the final destination on LH/LX/OS
5. Fly SQ/TG from AKL to a *A hub in Europe to connect to the final destination on LH/LX/OS
6. Fly another Asian carrier into a non-*A European hub, to connect to the final destination on a non-*A carrier

The winners? I think primarily EK & SQ, however one could argue everybody apart from NZ.

TravellerPlus

Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:46 pm

Here is a link to some information on the ASAs as they relate to the USA, NZ and Single Air Market airlines.

http://www.transport.govt.nz/legisla...tion-market-licences-australia.pdf

I'm not the expert on these things, but as I read it there is no significant impediment to JQ operating AKL-LAX. It would need to be a 5th freedom flight, as the QF service has always been (but really, can QF's single flight number with the change of plane and 5 hour transit time really be classed as 5th freedom?)

The other option that people have overlooked relates to the MALIAT agreement. This is covers Singapore, the USA and NZ amongst other countries. JQ Asia will be getting A330s onto the 9V register. I would consider it more likely that any Jetstar branded AKL-LAX services would be operated by 3K as opposed to JQ. MALIAT may be the more flexible ASA as it is truly open skies.

http://www.maliat.govt.nz/

[Edited 2011-11-05 13:10:50]

zkeoj

Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:09 pm

Quoting NZStevenC (Reply 44):
4. Fly to a California or Asia port on NZ, then LH/LX/OS to a *A hub in Europe to connect to the final destination on LH/LX/OS
5. Fly SQ/TG from AKL to a *A hub in Europe to connect to the final destination on LH/LX/OS

I already use option 4 most of the time, followed by option 5 (mostly SQ). I go to Europe about twice a year, sometimes three times, and in almost all cases I use NZ to the first port (HKG, SIN [when they were still flying to SIN], LAX, SFO, KIX, NRT, YVR, PEK), and then on with LH to FRA or MUC, and on to my final destination (mostly CGN, but also other cities in Europe. In all these years I have flown AKL-LAX-FRA on NZ (actually, I loved in Germany and flew the oteh way around, hehe), but since they ceased operating LAX-FRA I swicthed to LH. I have never been on a LAX-LHR flight on NZ, only once on LHR-HKG on NZ. And that is not because I avoid NZ (I actually do like them), but because fares offered by LH here in NZ are usually much cheaper... And also had the odd trip via SYD, such as AKL-SYD (NZ) BKK-FRA (TG) and AKL-YD (EK) SEL-FRA (OZ). Despite those, the vast majority of "first legs" is with NZ for me...

Similar story for trips to North America (both US and Canada): To LAX, SFO or YVR and on with SA)">UA or AC. To South Africa I did one trip AKL-SIN-JNB on SQ, and on e AKL-PER (NZ) - JNB (SA).

The main exception is Asia - there I use mostly SQ, but also did MH or TG, for example.

Cheers
micha

byronicle6

Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:33 pm

Im interested to know whether Jetstar will continue from LAX to JFK as i have heard its a route Qantas were planning to drop (I assume the current Qantas flight from AKL-LAX continues on to JFK) as it would seem a waste to have an aircraft, especially a LCC sitting on the tarmac at LAX from 6.30am - 11.30pm (assuming the same flight times will remain)
Travel is my thing

joelyboy911

Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:37 pm

Quoting byronicle6 (Reply 47):

Im interested to know whether Jetstar will continue from LAX to JFK as i have heard its a route Qantas were planning to drop (I assume the current Qantas flight from AKL-LAX continues on to JFK) as it would seem a waste to have an aircraft, especially a LCC sitting on the tarmac at LAX from 6.30am - 11.30pm (assuming the same flight times will remain)

Never. The reason for the QF flight to JFK is so that connecting Australian pax can have the Qantas experience all the way to their final destination (if it is New York) they connect pax from SYD, BNE, AKL, MEL onto this flight for that precise reason. I believe it is specifically targeted at premium passengers. They may as well funnel those pax onto AA flights if it's just JQ (or 3K) operating.
Flown: NZ, NY, SJ, QF, UA, AC, EI, BE, TP, AF

aerorobnz

Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:40 pm

Quoting NZStevenC (Reply 44):
I don't see that it's up to LH.

It will be up to NZ upper management, who I suspect are not keen to take on something which is so directly competitive with several legacy airlines with very deep pockets - especially as NZ already do well enough out of the LH/LX code share arrangement. They have to focus on being profitable first of all, which currently they are not as they have been telling shareholders at their meetings.