Arcrftlvr
Topic Author

Woman Is Stuck At SFO For 8 Days

Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:30 pm

I hope this doesn't come across as insensitive, but I don't really feel bad for this woman. If you can't afford to fly, take the bus or the train.

Flying is a privilege, not a right...

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/...ort-eight-days-lack-140019317.html

I'm sure some attorney somewhere will try and sue US Airways...

readytotaxi

RE: Woman Is Stuck At SFO For 8 Days

Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:42 pm

Quoting Arcrftlvr (Thread starter):

I'm sure some attorney somewhere will try and sue US Airways...

Its the American way. 

Oh and Happy Fifth Birthday on A.net.   
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!

splitterz

Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:46 pm

As a former CSR I would NEVER humiliate a person like that US employee did. I have encountered this before and it was dealt with dignity and respect of the passenger.

Flying is a privilege, not a right...

Correct. But there was no reason US Airways couldn't have offered her a plastic sack to maybe carry on some items, and throw away the bag. If that were indeed a violation of security regs (throwing stuff away) I personally would have contacted a TSA agent or airport LEO for clarification and to where I could dump the remaining items.

This story really gets in under my skin...Its about the passenger and representing your airline to best of your ability. I realize there are a few passengers that are rude, but judging by the woman, she was not. Thinking outside the box in this circumstance goes a long way. I'd also be willing to bet she won't fly US again.

Mike

Arcrftlvr
Topic Author

Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:47 pm

Quoting readytotaxi (Reply 1):
Oh and Happy Fifth Birthday on A.net.

Thanks!!!

Arcrftlvr
Topic Author

Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:49 pm

Quoting Splitterz (Reply 2):
But there was no reason US Airways couldn't have offered her a plastic sack to maybe carry on some items, and throw away the bag.

We don't know that they didn't. It unfair to speculate that they didn't do everything they could to help this person out.

Now, that's not to say that they CSR couldn't have waived the fee. It seems like the right thing to do. But US Airways is in no way obligated to do so. From a publicity standpoint, it would've been the right move, in hindsight.

Quoting Splitterz (Reply 2):
but judging by the woman, she was not.

Based on what? Again, you can't assume anything....

GBan

Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:50 pm

I hope this doesn't come across as insensitive, but I don't really feel bad for this woman. If you can't afford to fly, take the bus or the train.

Don't know how much she paid for her ticket, but that's not necessarily cheaper...

Type-Rated

Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:56 pm

Why didn't she just take the bus or train in the first place? It would have been cheaper.

But she didn't know about / expect the bag fee. These days there has been so much publicity about bag fees, she really should have known. Do they have traveler's aid anymore in airports? They could have helped her out too.
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

bluewhale18210

Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:00 pm

Grayhound is probably cheaper.

Of course as a former CSR I would have either waived the fee (if I was empowered to do so) or found someone who can. However I am willing to bet (speculate) that as soon as the woman heard about the fee she's all like "That's not fair!! I didn't read that when I booked...etc etc." Then promptly lost her cool. That is the point where I would be on the defensive and all hopes of waiving the fee went out the door.
Be nice to the CSR no matter what you encounter. Blowing a gasket doesn't help anybody.

Of course that might not be what happened and the US agent might just be a real jerk, but I doubt it.
JPS on A300-600RF A319/320 B737-400/800 B757-200F B767-300F CRJ-200/900. Looking to add more.

b727fa

Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:07 pm

What did she eat for 8 days? Where was she going to go when she got to ID? Where did she leave in the bay area when she went TO the airport? Something isn't adding up.
My comments/opinions are my own and are not to be construed as the opinion(s) of my employer.

RamblinMan

Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:08 pm

If she was not allowed to abandon one bag...then the argument that the bag fees are "optional" starts to become a little shaky, does it not? Clearly she had the option to only bring one (or none) in the first place, but that sort of changed when she arrived at the terminal.

Quoting Arcrftlvr (Reply 4):
Now, that's not to say that they CSR couldn't have waived the fee. It seems like the right thing to do. But US Airways is in no way obligated to do so. From a publicity standpoint, it would've been the right move, in hindsight.

Well probably, but isn't there a logical middle ground here... Couldn't they have billed her later? Or charged it to the card used to buy the ticket? Perhaps in this case there could be an arrangement to simply transport the bags but not allow them to be claimed until the fee is paid? (They could even tack on an extra 50 for a bill-me-later or bag-layaway option.)

Yeah, I know, she was stupid... she knows that too at this point I'm sure. I'm not saying they should just waive her fee or anything of that sort, just that there are multiple options that would still leave her liable for the fee but not cause her to be stranded.

lhr380

Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:12 pm

Quoting RamblinMan (Reply 9):
Couldn't they have billed her later?

No, all flight payments are made up front, seating charges, baggage charges etc.
(The views on this site are my own and no one elses)

comair25

Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:14 pm

I'm not even sure what to feel for this lady. On one hand I feel it is the travelers responsibility to know what she is getting into when flying (fees, etc) and to have enough money to cover expenses. On the other hand I feel bad that she had to stay in the airport for 8 days, but I do not think US owes her any type of refund. The Terms and Conditions are there for you to read if you have any questions. They are there for a reason.

RamblinMan

Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:23 pm

Quoting lhr380 (Reply 10):
No, all flight payments are made up front, seating charges, baggage charges etc.

Please read the rest of the post before commenting. I'm well aware of what the stated rules are, thank you.
And besides, not 100% true. It is indeed rare for an airline to bill someone after the fact but there are cases where it can happen.
Quoting comair25 (Reply 11):
I'm not even sure what to feel for this lady.

I know, right? And that's what I was getting at...she got herself into this for sure. However, she was left with absolutely no option for resolution which seems a harsh penalty for not reading the "fine print."

[Edited 2011-11-03 10:26:22]

CPHFF

Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:24 pm

It's 2011, not the 1970's.
Detroit is bankrupt. Don't forget to thank UAW folks!

Arcrftlvr
Topic Author

Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:26 pm

Quoting RamblinMan (Reply 9):
Perhaps in this case there could be an arrangement to simply transport the bags but not allow them to be claimed until the fee is paid? (They could even tack on an extra 50 for a bill-me-later or bag-layaway option.)

But the airport level employees can't be making up P&P on the fly....

RamblinMan

Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:30 pm

Quoting Arcrftlvr (Reply 14):
But the airport level employees can't be making up P&P on the fly....

Nor should they. Why is there not a procedure in place for this sort of thing? It can't be the only time it's happened...in fact another user said he has encountered this as a CSR.

PS... "It's 2011, not the 1970s." Bag fees for first and second bags are less than a decade old (on US legacies). There are plenty of people who haven't flown in the last 10 years and might not know they have to pay for it these days.

[Edited 2011-11-03 10:32:34]

Rdh3e

Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:36 pm

So this happened in April, why is this just coming up now?

DLX737200

Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:46 pm

This may come off rude but....

I have NO sympathy for this woman. First off, how long have bag fees been around? Years now! With as much publicity the airline fees have gotten since their inception, you'd have to be living under a rock not to notice!

Secondly, I'm sure between Orbitz and UsAirway's website, the bag fees were shown to her at some point. Whether she chose to read them or not is another story.

Thirdly, she didn't have the $60 but she had plenty of money to "treat herself to dinner the first night," according to the news story. Not to mention, enough money to eat the other 7 days.

Ignorance of the law doesn't hold up in court and neither should ignorance of company policies and fees. In this day and age of cell phones, credit cards, and instant communication, her case is VERY rare and is not the fault of UsAirways or any airline. This story could have been any of the carriers, except Southwest, and people would still bash the airline involved even though it would not be any of the carrier's fault.

Airlines are not a charity, they are businesses. To quote a good friend and former coworker for a major airline, "You don't go to Walmart expecting free services or goods, why would are airlines be any different?"

bohica

Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:48 pm

According to the article the incident happened in April. It is now November. Why is it suddenly becoming an issue now? It must be a slow news day.

Yflyer

Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:52 pm

Quoting b727fa (Reply 8):
What did she eat for 8 days? Where was she going to go when she got to ID? Where did she leave in the bay area when she went TO the airport? Something isn't adding up.

When she got hungry enough, she probably spent some of that $30 on some burgers from the McD's dollar menu or something. Or maybe she had some food in her bags. Though the article isn't clear, I'm guessing she had some friends or family in Idaho who were going to help her once she got there. Since it sounds like she was planning to stay in Idaho permanently, she'd likely already moved out of whereever she was staying in the Bay Area. Or since she was obviously in a really bad financial situation it's quite possible she'd been evicted from where she had been staying and had no home to go back to.

pylon101

Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:56 pm

That's tough.
Many of us are striken by the crisis. To more or less degree.
If the woman was going to start a new life in Idaho and had just $30.00 in her wallet...
In my view, U.S. Airways staff was able to settle this.
Though i used to spend a lot of time in the U.S. and love the country, I still can't imagine that to happen anywhere else...

RamblinMan

Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:03 pm

Quoting DLX737200 (Reply 17):
This may come off rude

It does. You can acknowledge the truth- that it was her fault- while still feeling sympathetic that she had to endure such an ordeal. It's the same thing as how I routinely purchase cheap bank-owned real estate for personal profit...only possible because other people borrowed money they couldn't repay, got foreclosed, and that's totally their fault. Doesn't change the fact I feel sorry for those people.

Thirdly, she didn't have the $60 but she had plenty of money to "treat herself to dinner the first night," according to the news story. Not to mention, enough money to eat the other 7 days.

It said she had thirty bucks, that's enough for a few meals (even in an airport.) You don't know if she had anything to eat for the other 7 days.

Ignorance of the law doesn't hold up in court and neither should ignorance of company policies and fees.

Ok...if we're going to compare this to law, then she spent 8 days in debtor's prison and only got out because other people were nice enough to pay for her...and the airline was nice enough not to charge her $1000 for a new ticket.

jreuschl

Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:10 pm

Question I would ask is what was she planning on doing when she got to Idaho? Apparently she didn't have a credit card to put the bag fee on, I don't know if all landlords do, but my last apartment they did a credit check.

Also, unless US would have refused to take a credit card # over the phone, she must not have very good "friends" if they didn't help her out. If a friend called me saying I forgot my credit card at home and I need to pay for my bags, I'd help them out.

pylon101

Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:16 pm

Somehow it reminds me of the Occupy The Wall Street movement.
Airlines' agents used to be so nice to make upgrades for revenue pax.
They could be as much nice to poor people. At least sometimes.

We are not talking about legal aspects here.
It's about corporate ethic and ethics in general.

splitterz

Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:17 pm

Quoting jreuschl (Reply 22):
Also, unless US would have refused to take a credit card # over the phone, she must not have very good "friends" if they didn't help her out. If a friend called me saying I forgot my credit card at home and I need to pay for my bags, I'd help them out.

That has alot to do with credit card fraud. I wouldn't have done it either.

akelley728

Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:52 pm

The issue here is that Orbitz (and other sites) did not tell people up front that there would be fees.

"She booked a ticket from San Francisco to the Gem State on the travel website Orbitz but, because she purchased her ticket before a new federal law went into effect requiring ticket brokers to disclose all hidden fees, Wessinger was unaware of the extra $60 U.S. Airways would charge at the airport to check her two bags."

This woman is NOT an airliners.net member. A lot of people who buy a ticket think that the price on the website is the price of the ticket, period. Thank goodness we now have a law that requires websites to disclose all "hidden" fees.

I do feel sorry for the woman. She was ignorant, but she didn't do anything wrong. The US Airways agent gave the company line, and unfortunately they have bad PR as a result. There was something that could've been done, but basic customer service went out the window here.

ikramerica

Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:56 pm

Quoting pylon101 (Reply 20):
Though i used to spend a lot of time in the U.S. and love the country, I still can't imagine that to happen anywhere else...

Oh please. It would happen in France, Germany, Italy, Japan, you name it. In France "there's nothing we can do" is the motto, and in Japan (Tokyo at least), when you need help, those tasked with helping English speakers often realize they don't understand English anymore and send you elsewhere.

Quoting pylon101 (Reply 23):
We are not talking about legal aspects here.
It's about corporate ethic and ethics in general.

True. It's not a law that requires them to charge a fee. They waive it for so many reasons, hardship could easily be one of them.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

tjwgrr

Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:01 pm

"She awoke to more bad news: U.S. Airlines explained that, since she couldn't pay a change fee, she'd have to book a new flight from scratch. That would run about $1,000."

Arrrg.....   
Direct KNOBS, maintain 2700' until established on the localizer, cleared ILS runway 26 left approach.

Rdh3e

Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:02 pm

Quoting ikramerica (Reply 26):
True. It's not a law that requires them to charge a fee. They waive it for so many reasons, hardship could easily be one of them.

A supervisor could do it, but many times a CSR could be put to the screws for waiving a bag fee for the "wrong" reasons.

FLY2LIM

Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:04 pm

Quoting rdh3e (Reply 16):
So this happened in April, why is this just coming up now?
Quoting bohica (Reply 18):
According to the article the incident happened in April. It is now November. Why is it suddenly becoming an issue now? It must be a slow news day.

My first reaction when I read this article on yahoo is that it's scary how entitled people are feeling in the United States. I'm a high school teacher and the students practically want you to wipe their butts for them.
I have never been in her situation but, seriously, who initiates travel so unprepared? Like others, I don't believe that the whole story is being told. I am thankful that I know I could call a few people and the money would be sent to me, if I ever got to that point. I never travel with less than a few hundred in my wallet (we are 4 people) and I also possess credit cards. But this whole trend of "what will you do for me?" is absolutely scary. These entitled individuals will, some day, be old folks who will be just as unprepared for their golden years. Guess who is going to pay for all this?
As to why this story is only appearing now? I am certain that this is a publicity campaign by some lawyer or advisor seeking monetary compensation from the airline. It isn't just "an accident" that we are only now reading about it.

FLY2LIM
Faucett. La primera linea aerea del Peru.

ikramerica

Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:05 pm

Quoting rdh3e (Reply 28):
A supervisor could do it, but many times a CSR could be put to the screws for waiving a bag fee for the "wrong" reasons.

Of course, but someone there might have helped. Now, how well did the woman explain herself? "I'm broke and moving to Idaho for a new life. Can you help me?" or "I ain't paying no $60. You are all ripping me off! I'm calling a lawyer!"

I'd help the first person, waive off the second...
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

milesrich

Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:10 pm

To the all the people who have posted they have no sympathy for this women, I will refrain from saying anything for fear of being scolded by the moderators, but your statements speak for themselves. May you never need help from another human being, because if they know what you posted here, you will most likely get no help.

As for US Airways and their employees, I have always thought that America West and the former US Airways, (with the exception of the PSA and Piedmont people that are still there) was an is a third rate operation. The fact is that CSA's wave bag fees daily. Over 30 dollars, there is no need to treat this woman in that way. She told them she could pay it when she got to Boise or wherever she was flying to. I am just so glad that US Airways was unsuccessful in their attempt to buy my hometown airline, Delta.

pylon101

Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:13 pm

You are right that such attitude could be found almost everywhere - but in respect of aliens or tourists.
Here we are talking about aspects of ethics towards your own "species", so to say.

I am with this woman in our discussion.
We never know what happens to us next.
One minute one feels secure and protected. But things may change fast, before you even know.
Is there her facebook page?

FLY2LIM

Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:20 pm

Quoting milesrich (Reply 31):
To the all the people who have posted they have no sympathy for this women, I will refrain from saying anything for fear of being scolded by the moderators, but your statements speak for themselves. May you never need help from another human being, because if they know what you posted here, you will most likely get no help.

Your statement is very judgmental as well, but it doesn't matter. I don't have sympathy for those who are not responsible enough for their own lives. I was raised with the understanding that we control our own destiny and that the choices we make today can have a negative effect tomorrow. As I said in my previous post, I expect that I will be part of that segment that will be paying for the costs of all those people who won't be able to support themselves in their golden years. I am resigned to that. Everyone who bought a home they could not afford, who spent money they didn't have, who have made poor choices with their health and will suffer from it will need my help in their later years. There is nothing that I can do about it.
THAT SAID, I would have reached in my wallet and handed the woman sixty dollars (yes, the entire amount, not just thirty) and she wouldn't even have gotten my name - I would never have demanded repayment. Those of us who have no sympathy for people who are irresponsible still have COMPASSION. I know I speak for many.

FLY2LIM
Faucett. La primera linea aerea del Peru.

RamblinMan

Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:24 pm

Quoting FLY2LIM (Reply 33):
Your statement is very judgmental as well, but it doesn't matter.

Don't think he was necessarily addressing you. Did you read the whole thread?

GentFromAlaska

Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:48 pm

Interesting that Orbitz wasn't able to help her, had she called them.

Obviously she wasn't aware of WN luggage and change fee policies when she purchased her ticket I;m sure WN could have got her from SFO to BOI on one end of the state or GEG on the other side. And yes I am aware the big five travel sites do not sell WN tickets.
Man can be taken from Alaska. Alaska can never be taken from the man.

coachclass

Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:04 pm

I got stuck in Luxembourg in 1969 and spent a night on a bench at the airport coming back from college in Germany. Travel agency messed up and I missed my International Air Bahama flight to NAS then PBI. I had no more money left when they told me the next day that the only flight out was Loftleider and it was almost $100 more and International Air Bahama wouldn't be flying for a couple of more days. So rather than see me hang around, the manager of Loftleider put me on the flight and said that my parents had to send him the money that he was fronting. My parents quickly paid up. I don't know if he personally put the money up or just went short in the company books for a couple of days altho the money was sent directly to him. That's the long way around to saying what USAir should have said, "we're doing you a favor, please pay up when you get settled in your new home." USAir station manager should have some discretion.

[Edited 2011-11-03 13:05:05]

DeltaMD90

Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:18 pm

I don't feel sorry for her. There are many things wrong with this story, and it is a bit shady. How did she survive 8 days with $30 of cash? Why do people complain about not getting a refund when they purchase non refundable tickets? Etc etc. I don't know all the details of the story, so some of my points may be voided, but my position stands.

That being said, if I was there, I would have given her (well, the ticket agent) the $30 gladly. I like to help people, but I don't feel sorry for some people that get themselves in trouble.
Ironically I have never flown a Delta MD-90 :)

richierich

Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:24 pm

Quoting FLY2LIM (Reply 29):
My first reaction when I read this article on yahoo is that it's scary how entitled people are feeling in the United States. I'm a high school teacher and the students practically want you to wipe their butts for them.
I have never been in her situation but, seriously, who initiates travel so unprepared? Like others, I don't believe that the whole story is being told. I am thankful that I know I could call a few people and the money would be sent to me, if I ever got to that point. I never travel with less than a few hundred in my wallet (we are 4 people) and I also possess credit cards. But this whole trend of "what will you do for me?" is absolutely scary. These entitled individuals will, some day, be old folks who will be just as unprepared for their golden years. Guess who is going to pay for all this?
As to why this story is only appearing now? I am certain that this is a publicity campaign by some lawyer or advisor seeking monetary compensation from the airline. It isn't just "an accident" that we are only now reading about it.

FLY2LIM

Very well said.
It's not that we don't have compassion or sympathy for this woman but there does come a point where her problem has become everybody elses problem. And I agree, this sentiment exists all over the country if not the world.
I know there are plenty of less-than-frequent fliers out there but all the more reason this woman should have had initiative to ask questions before travel. I cannot claim to have ever been close to this lady's position but I have traveled on a budget before and it is those times, more than any other, that you do your research before ending up stuck. To show up and be be completely unprepared for more than a week is completely unacceptable - even though I do think the bag fees are ridiculous, on the first bag anyway, and this situation could have been avoided if included in the cost of the ticket, for example. But that's another topic for another day. And yes, the timing of this article sort of raises a red flag. My guess is Boise didn't turn out to be as lucrative as she had planned.
None shall pass!!!!

bluewhale18210

Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:25 pm

May you never need help from another human being, because if they know what you posted here, you will most likely get no help.

I have got into more than one jams in my life, but I have yet failed to get help with a VERY humble attitude and a polite request. I doubt this is what happened in this case. Would you have helped such person if she was upset, cursing and threatening at the check-in counter?

Quoting ikramerica (Reply 30):
Of course, but someone there might have helped. Now, how well did the woman explain herself? "I'm broke and moving to Idaho for a new life. Can you help me?" or "I ain't paying no $60. You are all ripping me off! I'm calling a lawyer!"

Absolutely. I have seen both in my line of work, and the first person gets reasonably good treatment and the latter does not.

As I said above I don't think any airlines would be that hard lined unless the woman lost it first. Waiving a bag fee is not such a big deal, just like comping drinks onboard is not that big of a deal as long as there's a reason to do it. Whether or not the agents are willing to do it for the passenger largely depend on how the passenger behaves. Of course, we will never know what happened...
JPS on A300-600RF A319/320 B737-400/800 B757-200F B767-300F CRJ-200/900. Looking to add more.

bennett123

Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:35 pm

What is unclear is what she was going to do when she arrived in Idaho with $30 in cash and no cards.
Not sure who/what she was going to live on, or indeed where she would live.

I assume she also had no mobile. Surely the CSR could have rung a family/friend and taken a card payment for the $60.

My understanding is that if she knew no one with a card that there is still Western Union.

Doubtless some on here will call me hard, but I do not believe we are being given the whole story here.

Type-Rated

Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:48 pm

Quoting tjwgrr (Reply 27):
She awoke to more bad news: U.S. Airlines explained that, since she couldn't pay a change fee, she'd have to book a new flight from scratch. That would run about $1,000."

Are we sure she didn't buy her ticket through Priceline.com?

When dealing with CSR's it is always nice to try to maintain a smile as best you can. When a problem arises, just say nicely "Well, what can we do to fix this?". When you do that it seems most people will go out of their way to help you if they can.

[

And I bet that after 8 days in the airport, she probably smelled pretty good too.

What would have happened if she went to Boise and there was nobody there to pick her up? She could have gone up there to meet someone she met online then failed to show at the airport. This actually happens sometimes.

[Edited 2011-11-03 14:00:34]
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

bennett123

Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:02 pm

I am puzzled by the limited amount that she says about what happened when she got to the airport.

If the CSR had been rude or aggressive then, IMO, this would be stated.

How much about her situation did she explain, and what did the CSR say/do?.

Arcrftlvr
Topic Author

Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:08 pm

Quoting type-rated (Reply 41):
Are we sure she didn't buy her ticket through Priceline.com?

It states in the article that she purchased the ticket through Orbitz.com. So, we can only go off the information that we're provided.

OA260

Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:24 pm

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 37):
That being said, if I was there, I would have given her (well, the ticket agent) the $30 gladly. I like to help people, but I don't feel sorry for some people that get themselves in trouble.

Sad to think that someone is down to their last $30 ! Im the same I would have given her the $30 . Shame there were not people like us at the check in area . Kudos to the Church though. Maybe US Airways could have been a bit more flexible who knows we were not there. If someone is really that low in funds and living on breadline then I think human compassion must come into place.

bennett123

Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:33 pm

How does the cost of a flight compare to a Greyhound Bus between these 2 points.

art

Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:47 pm

Quoting akelley728 (Reply 25):
The issue here is that Orbitz (and other sites) did not tell people up front that there would be fees.

The consumer paid what she thought was the full cost of the journey. The consumer was not fully informed of the cost of the journey.

"She had nothing but an airline ticket and $30 in her pocket." She also hadn't traveled by air in the last five years--meaning that when she stepped to the ticket counter to check her bags, she was in for a serious case of sticker shock. The U.S. Airways agent checking her in told her that it was cost $60 to check both her bags. Weissinger offered to pay the fee when she arrived in Idaho, but the agent declined."

The consumer offered to pay the unexpected extra cost of $60.

Under the circumstances, the reaction of the carrier was ridiculously unhelpful and...

"To get a new flight "she'd have to pay her bag fees plus $150 in change fees," Finney notes. Without a place to stay nearby, Weissinger stayed the night at the airport. She awoke to more bad news: U.S. Airlines explained that, since she couldn't pay a change fee, she'd have to book a new flight from scratch. That would run about $1,000."

...ABSURDLY stupid. If you don't have access to $60, you won't have access to $150 dollars, less still $1000. I will remember to avoid US Airways if at all possible.

Edit: correction of 'US Airlines' mistakenly used in quoted article to 'US Airways'

[Edited 2011-11-03 15:35:39]

[Edited 2011-11-03 15:37:29]

GentFromAlaska

Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:52 pm

Quoting bennett123 (Reply 40):
What is unclear is what she was going to do when she arrived in Idaho with $30 in cash and no cards. Not sure who/what she was going to live on, or indeed where she would live.

Speculation, possibly a hostile designed for travelers or convent or something along those lines. It not all that unique for people to arrive at places without a lot of money.
Man can be taken from Alaska. Alaska can never be taken from the man.

n92r03

Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:56 pm

Quoting bennett123 (Reply 45):
How does the cost of a flight compare to a Greyhound Bus between these 2 points.

That is what she should have researched on whoever's computer she use to book her ticket on orbits.

steex

Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:57 pm

I'm sure we don't have all the information - it's hard to even wrap your mind around the idea of a baggage fee escalating to this level.

Regardless, one thing I don't especially like about the way the story is the way it is framed. The headline is "woman is stuck at SFO for 8 days" as though this were a situation where she was not allowed to leave the airport (i.e., the airline was holding her hostage). In reality, she was not allowed to board her flight with her belongings, but in no way was she STUCK at the airport. She may not really have had anywhere in particular to go, but she was free to walk out the door and go elsewhere.