staralliance85
Topic Author

El Al Joining An Alliance?

Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:35 am

What are El Al's chances of being accepted into an airline alliance? El Al's number one priority is security and they have controversial interrogation techniques. That might be a downside for them ever being accepted into an alliance. Out of all the alliances, El Al is never going to join Skyteam with Saudi Arabian and Middle Eastern Airlines joining. *A is a big maybe. I am sure if they join any alliance it is going to be Oneworld because they have codeshare agreements with AA, IB, QF and S7. Plus, the only Middle Eastern airline in Oneworld is RJ and they have a flight to TLV. Thoughts?
brad Fitzpatrick

mffoda

RE: El Al Joining An Alliance?

Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:44 am

Two Chances! Slim and None.... OK?  
harder than woodpecker lips...

irshava

Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:05 am

El Al doesn't fly on Sabbath and that wouldn't work out to nice with the other airlines. Plus they have a lot more security than other airlines require.
“If you were born without wings, do nothing to prevent them from growing.”

blink182

Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:29 am

I don't think there's anything controversial per se about security. In the US, I have observed airports with TLV flights that have a specific gate, regardless of whether its LY, DL, or CO. Internationally, it appears that most flights, even routine AMS/FRA/LHR-USA flights, have extra security. The security matters can be worked around.

That said, I don't think LY will join an alliance any time soon as I can't see what they offer that the Big Three lack. TLV has very little thru-connectivity and wouldn't be able to function as an east-west hub, and TLV tagged flights are subject to airspace restrictions, thereby increasing stage lengths and costs. Lastly, TLV is well connected: all of the major Europe players serve TLV, plus TK, RJ, MS, and others that can get feed from Asia and E. Africa.

If TLV provided great E-W connectivity, I could see the alliances being more aggressive in a pursuit of LY's TLV hub, but I can't see what LY offers that the three alliances don't already have covered.
Give me a break, I created this username when I was a kid...

kiwiandrew

Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:28 am

Quoting blink182 (Reply 3):
That said, I don't think LY will join an alliance any time soon as I can't see what they offer that the Big Three lack.

I think that is the key point. Leaving geopolitics out of it, and security out of it, what destinations would LY bring with them to make them attractive to an alliance? I don't think putting Eilat onto the route network is enough to make any alliance see LY as a 'must have', and I can't really see what else new they would bring to the table.