AustrianZRH
Topic Author

Niki Sold To Air Berlin

Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:04 pm

Just in on Austrian news websites: former Formula-1 champion and president Niki Lauda sold his airline FlyNiki to Air Berlin who already owned 49.9% of the company. AB assured that the brand "NIKI" will remain and VIE will be used as the fourth Air Berlin hub. In exchange, Niki Lauda gets a seat on the 13-seat Air Berlin board of directors.

German link: http://orf.at/stories/2088396/2088403/
WARNING! The post above should be taken with a grain of salt! Furthermore, it may be slightly biased towards A.

PanHAM

RE: Niki Sold To Air Berlin

Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:23 pm

Quoting AustrianZRH (Thread starter):
In exchange, Niki Lauda gets a seat on the 13-seat Air Berlin board of directors.

Knowing Niki, I am sure he got a pot of cash as well...   I also hope that "Rotkaeppchen" will be retained as a Captain.
powered by Eierlikör

Carfield

Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:28 pm

I hope Air Berlin won't ruin the good name of Niki... the service on these two airlines are quite different especially Air Berlin has cut back much lately! I really love Niki and guess I need to fly it soon!

Carfield

C010T3

Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:06 pm

AB assured that the brand "NIKI" will remain

Air Berlin as a brand will never work in Austria, that's why...

AustrianZRH
Topic Author

Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:13 pm

Quoting C010T3 (Reply 3):
Air Berlin as a brand will never work in Austria, that's why...

I think you overestimate the patriotism of the average Austrian passenger. John Doe will fly whatever is cheapest, regardless if it's a German or Austrian airline.
WARNING! The post above should be taken with a grain of salt! Furthermore, it may be slightly biased towards A.

C010T3

Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:49 pm

Quoting AustrianZRH (Reply 4):

I think you overestimate the patriotism of the average Austrian passenger. John Doe will fly whatever is cheapest, regardless if it's a German or Austrian airline.

I don't think I am. Of course, no one will fly Austrian over Air Berlin when it comes down to price, but if there are other competitors, AB could slowly face rejection, but never on a large scale. It would be just a detail, but it does influence people. As half Rheinländer, I do twitch a little when thinking about it.

fcogafa

Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:50 pm

Didn't LDA have links with Austrian at one point? Presumably all gone now they are in opposing alliances.

MEA-707

Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:54 pm

Quoting fcogafa (Reply 6):
Didn't LDA have links with Austrian at one point?

Lauda Air was gobbled up with Austrian (Star Alliance) a few years ago... will fly on former Lauda 73G and 772 tomorrow... Now Niki will go to Air Berlin (OneWorld).
It would be fun if Niki Lauda would now launch his third airline which would be bought by KLM Air France (Sky Team) a few years down the line
nobody has ever died from hard work, but why take the risk?

Byrdluvs747

Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:41 pm

AB assured that the brand "NIKI" will remain

That's too bad. I was hoping for a more professional sounding name like Air Vienna. The "Niki" name and that horsefly livery don't project a alliance quality image.

Quoting MEA-707 (Reply 7):
Now Niki will go to Air Berlin (OneWorld)

Niki was going to Oneworld an affiliate irregardless of this sale.
The 747: The hands who designed it were guided by god.

lindy field

Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:55 pm

What is with that horrible fly anyway? Why did they ruin an attractive color scheme with that thing? What is it supposed to represent?

Byrdluvs747

Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:52 pm

Quoting lindy field (Reply 9):
What is with that horrible fly anyway? Why did they ruin an attractive color scheme with that thing? What is it supposed to represent?

I guess that the fly has something to do with the fact that flyniki.com is part of their marketing. However, it just seems odd to use a creature that lands on feces and other rotting things to represent an airline. Other than entomologists, nobody likes flies.

I have to believe that the fly will eventually be removed as AB matures into a global carrier.

AIR MALTA

Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:03 pm

I used to live in Vienna and people are more patriotic than you would think. Austrians love airlines started by Niki Lauda. They loved Lauda Air and they do love flyNiki now.

I think it is important the brand is kept.
Next flights : BRU-ZRH-CAI (LX)/ BRU-FCO-TLV (AZ)

reifel

Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:10 pm

Niki had a way superior product than AB. Very nice staff, great snacks (double decker sandwiches i.e. with shrimps), and a lot of little details i.e. keeping cabin light dimmed during nighttime flights (even on shorthaul), f/a's bringing you newspaper to the seat rather than "self service".... I guess these will be the first things that will become "AB standard". Would not be suprised if NIKI as a brand will go away. Today we already have so many HG flight numbers all operated by airberlin. Go to PMI, almost every flight to mainland spain is a "HG" flight number, in cooperation with AB, but the "official" carrier is HG, no clue why (maybe tax things?).

Byrdluvs747

Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:42 pm

Quoting AIR MALTA (Reply 11):
I used to live in Vienna and people are more patriotic than you would think. Austrians love airlines started by Niki Lauda. They loved Lauda Air and they do love flyNiki now.

So you don't think Austrians could love an airline called Air Vienna, or Air Austria? I admit to knowing nothing about Austrians' love of Niki Lauda, but I don't think a giant horsefly evokes patriotism in anyone of any nation.

OzarkD9S

Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:56 pm

It might even grow. With two brands, AB could develop more into a proper oneworld alliance member and leave the leisure stuff to flyNiki.
Coast to Coast and Border to Border, Ozark Flies YOUR Way!

ScottB

Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:15 pm

Quoting Byrdluvs747 (Reply 8):
The "Niki" name and that horsefly livery don't project a alliance quality image.

I find the name to be darling.  

macc

Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:28 pm

As for me, I always thought the fly being childish. Especially when you have to listen to this buzzing intro at the safety video. But well, who cares. The product Niki offers is excellent. Cant say the same of AB. Excellent food to preorder for 8 to12 €.

Hope AB will keep that. Else, dont think anyone in Austria would care about the brand name. If we fly LH, we would also fly AB.
I exchanged political frustration with sexual boredom. better spoil a girl than the world

Semaex

Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:42 pm

Quoting Byrdluvs747 (Reply 8):
That's too bad. I was hoping for a more professional sounding name like Air Vienna. The "Niki" name and that horsefly livery don't project a alliance quality image.

Clearly you haven't taken a NIKI flight in quite some time. The hard product is mile high superior to that of AB, at least that's my opinion. AB can learn a lot from HG.

Niki Lauda is a national hero to a certain degree, and people have a lot of respect for his ventures and his F1 career. Austrians love to identify themselves with their country, and clearly the arch-enemy of any Austrian is "the German". Most Austrians will not know that HG is fully owned by a german company now (or has almost been until now), and for AB's sake it better stays like that. I know what I'm talking about, I've got close ties to Vienna. My last intra-european flight was VIE-FRA on HG: Great experience, love the new Embraers and the F/A uniforms.
// You know you're an aviation enthusiast when you look at your neighbour's cars and think about fleet commonality.

Semaex

Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:36 am

Just to review some points the article posted by the OP mentions:

- AB CEO Mehdorn states that the brand "Niki" will be kept and VIE will be expanded as AB's fourth hub.
- Niki Lauda will get one of the 13 AB board seats and he will continue flying.
- Lauda will not try to establish another airline. He has "run out of names for airlines", he states. He "feels responsible for Niki" and instead of "mocking from the bottom" he will "participate from the top", he told journalists.
// You know you're an aviation enthusiast when you look at your neighbour's cars and think about fleet commonality.

CiC

Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:33 am

I wish Niki takes over the CEO from Mr. Mehdorn... then AB will get again a CEO who knows how to run an airline... and not "saves money for whatever cost"...

[Edited 2011-11-08 21:33:48]

oldeuropean

Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:02 am

Quoting CiC (Reply 19):
I wish Niki takes over the CEO from Mr. Mehdorn... then AB will get again a CEO who knows how to run an airline... and not "saves money for whatever cost"...

Especially at the expense of safety, as he did at the Deutsche Bahn. He can be happy that nobody was killed!

Wer nichts weiss muss alles glauben

PanHAM

Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:05 am

Quoting oldeuropean (Reply 20):
Especially at the expense of safety, as he did at the Deutsche Bahn. He can be happy that nobody was killed!

excuse me, but what are you talking about? As in aviation, there is a supervisory authority which sets and controls the standards. No CEO can override that without being personally and unlimited liable in case of an accident.