jet72uk
Topic Author

Now Air China To Start LGW Service

Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:05 pm

Although they are very honest in that they would rather LHR but cannot due to no slots. Here is the report.
It appears a new airline starting at LGW is almost a daily occuarnce!    http://www.routesonline.com/news/29/...-offer-split-operations-to-london/

SKAirbus

RE: Now Air China To Start LGW Service

Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:28 pm

Wow this is brilliant news! Congrats Air China and Gatwick!

I guess this is where denying airport expansion in SE England is starting to show its downsides. However, New York operates a split operation with international flights with many airlines operating into both JFK and EWR.

The train connections between central London and Gatwick are very good, infact the train journey from Victoria to Gatwick is similar to Penn Station to Newark.

It would be great if Star Alliance could build up a secondary hub at LGW eventually, especially if other airlines join them there.
Next Flights: LHR-OSL (738), OSL-CPH (320), CPH-LHR (321), LHR-HEL (359), HEL-LHR (359)

babybus

Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:32 pm

I wish all long haul operators had a secondary operation into Gatwick. During the 80s this is what happened.

Gatwick is a fantastic airport to fly into and from and much cosier than LHR.

Air China will be a welcome addition to the LGW portfolio.
and with that..cabin crew, seats for landing please.

AirbusA6

Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:10 pm

Of course, if they're existing LHR flight is full, they could always upgrade it to a larger plane, e.g. an A380...I'm sure Airbus will do them a good deal!

But it's good to see more long haul flights from LGW, vast amounts of traffic originates from all over London, and much of it is happier to use LGW rather than LHR.
it's the bus to stansted (now renamed National Express a6 to ruin my username)

skipness1E

Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:29 pm

Quoting SKAirbus (Reply 1):
It would be great if Star Alliance could build up a secondary hub at LGW eventually, especially if other airlines join them there.

They don't actually have much of a hub at LHR let's be honest. It's a focus city, not a hub. Not sure why they just don't upgrade to the B744 again, it used to be the aircraft used.

LTUMD11

Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:26 pm

Brilliant news for LGW. Hope more airlines show interest and the airport is re born into something like it was when i was a regular spotter there as a teenager in the early to mid eighties.Surely a viable alternative to an extremely saturated LHR. Would be nice to see some of the American carriers returning although i think that is unlikely for the immediate future!

AirbusA6

Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:53 pm

Quoting skipness1E (Reply 4):
They don't actually have much of a hub at LHR let's be honest. It's a focus city, not a hub. Not sure why they just don't upgrade to the B744 again, it used to be the aircraft used.

When I flew CA from LHR 10 years ago, the plane was actually a 74M combi, so the passenger capacity would have been relatively low, and a 77W would be an upgrade.
it's the bus to stansted (now renamed National Express a6 to ruin my username)

LGWflyer

Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:57 pm

Wow this is amazing news!!! If you told me Air China and all the other airlines would be coming here a year ago I would have told you to stop being silly. Gatwick's connection to Asia is getting bigger by the week!
3 words... I Love Aviation!!!

David_itl

Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:02 pm

Quoting LGWflyer (Reply 7):
Gatwick's connection to Asia is getting bigger by the week!

Not going to LGW because they want to. Can't get LHR slots so will just move ops as and when they can get the slots they want,

LGWflyer

Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:06 pm

Quoting david_itl (Reply 8):
Not going to LGW because they want to. Can't get LHR slots so will just move ops as and when they can get the slots they want,

Well this maybe the case at the moment but LGW is expanding, so you never know they might end up for the better here than at LHR after all.
3 words... I Love Aviation!!!

jet72uk
Topic Author

Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Quoting david_itl (Reply 8):

Yes that was mentioned in the original quote!

2travel2know2

Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:58 am

Given that LGW allows night-time operations, is CA going to fly red-eyes PEK-LGW?
I'm not on CM's payroll.

Lufthansa

Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:31 am

Quoting SKAirbus (Reply 1):
guess this is where denying airport expansion in SE England is starting to show its downsides. However, New York operates a split operation with international flights with many airlines operating into both JFK and EWR.

It's not good from an air traffic congestion point of view. If one of those NYC operations were closed, a lot of aircraft would be up gauged to larger more fuel efficient aircraft. Of course LGA in the middle of it makes the situation worse. Maybe that should be the one they should close.

Luftymatt

Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:47 pm

Quoting 2travel2know2 (Reply 11):
Given that LGW allows night-time operations, is CA going to fly red-eyes PEK-LGW?

I don't think so. Flights from Asia carriers usually like to arrive at the start of the European working day. So the flight from PEK will be red-eye, but the return flight from LGW will most probably be departing morning/ early afternoon. If this is what you meant?

Good news for LGW, it seems like their new owners are doing them more good than BAA. As SKAirbus mentioned: New York has split hubs, so I don't see why London can't adopt the same approach. There's plenty of capacity at LGW to take advantage of  
chase the sun

rutankrd

Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:56 pm

Quoting LuftyMatt (Reply 13):

Quoting 2travel2know2 (Reply 11):

I don't think so. Flights from Asia carriers usually like to arrive at the start of the European working day. So the flight from PEK will be red-eye, but the return flight from LGW will most probably be departing morning/ early afternoon. If this is what you meant?

Good news for LGW, it seems like their new owners are doing them more good than BAA. As SKAirbus mentioned: New York has split hubs, so I don't see why London can't adopt the same approach. There's plenty of capacity at LGW to take advantage of

?

Other than Cathay and BA Flights from China/Korea/Japan land late afternoon at Heathrow and for that matter Paris and Frankfurt !

The BA Hanada service arrival is an exception not because of the London end slots but because of Japanese restrictions that currently restrict the long haul departure slots to off peak times due to extensive domestic services during their day light period !

planesarecool

Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:07 pm

Quoting rutankrd (Reply 14):
Other than Cathay and BA Flights from China/Korea/Japan land late afternoon at Heathrow and for that matter Paris and Frankfurt !

This is correct, but I'd imagine the LGW service will be a morning arrival to complement the afternoon turnaround at LHR. And this is probably why CA couldn't get LHR slots - Heathrow is full to capacity for morning arrivals/departures, and these are valuable slots that the US carriers all paid premiums for 2-3 years ago.

B747-4U3

Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:32 pm

Quoting LuftyMatt (Reply 13):

Flights from South East Asia tend to arrive at the start of the European working day because the time-change and flight time facilitates this. With PEK and North East Asia in general, the shorter flight time means that the "bonus" of the time change is lost somewhat which makes the flight times a little less "attractive".

For an early morning arrival in Europe from PEK we would be looking at a schedule like PEK 0130 - LGW 0500, and then a return of LGW 1140 - PEK 0600.

Air China do however operate a flight from PEK to FRA at similar times (CA965). It would also boost connection opportunities.

rutankrd

Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:51 pm

Quoting B747-4U3 (Reply 16):
For an early morning arrival in Europe from PEK we would be looking at a schedule like PEK 0130 - LGW 0500, and then a return of LGW 1140 - PEK 0600.

Air China do however operate a flight from PEK to FRA at similar times (CA965). It would also boost connection opportunities.

Might be wrong however i would add about 5 hours to those timings giving a mid morning LGW arrival time (As once was !)
Diddley quat connections over LGW but regional connections a plenty out of ZBAA this could well be the student shuttle !

2travel2know2

Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:07 pm

That's exactly what I meant. LGW early morning arrival and PEK early morning arrival (LGW 1040 > PEK 0500+).
I'm not on CM's payroll.

readytotaxi

Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:17 pm

Quoting rutankrd (Reply 17):
Might be wrong however i would add about 5 hours to those timings giving a mid morning LGW arrival time

I agree,more customer friendly times.
Perhaps a PEK 0630 LGW 1000
2 hr turn around.
LGW 1200 PEK 0620.  
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!

Luftymatt

Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:42 pm

Quoting rutankrd (Reply 14):

Er where did I say that they never arrive in the afternoon??? I think you'll find that when an airline from Asia starts a service, it's more often than not an early morning arrival. Only once that service had been established will they add other flights in the afternoon. to support that route.
If (for example) CX were limited to one flight a day out of LHR, do you seriously expect they'd choose a late afternoon/ early evening departure???

[Edited 2011-11-12 10:43:39]
chase the sun

rutankrd

Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:08 pm

Quoting LuftyMatt (Reply 20):
Er where did I say that they never arrive in the afternoon??? I think you'll find that when an airline from Asia starts a service, it's more often than not an early morning arrival. Only once that service had been established will they add other flights in the afternoon. to support that route.
If (for example) CX were limited to one flight a day out of LHR, do you seriously expect they'd choose a late afternoon/ early evening departure???

Yes i do late afternoon slots easier to get (Look at those Indian arrivals for instance) and the fact that a 14 hour plus flight arrival time really makes little difference NO ONE wants to go to work straight from such a haul.

The same applies to West US flights they arrive late morning and into the afternoon

Only really the East Coast US/Canada makes sense for red eye arrivals into Europe.

Going back to the day when these airlines actually started their UK operations the time frame arrivals into Gatwick were from late morning throughout the afternoon and nothing really has changed for far east asian operations.