G500

DL Expands @ JFK, DL Ups LAX To 8 Daily, SFO To 6

Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:44 pm

Delta announces its latest expansion at JFK. With the latest expansion, it will bring the total daily peak period departures to LAX to 8 and SFO to 6.

I assume Delta will be the largest carrier on the very important NYC-L.A market???

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Delta-...test-prnews-935744727.html?x=0&l=1

[Edited 2011-11-14 06:46:02]

United1

RE: DL Expands @ JFK, DL Ups LAX To 8 Daily, SFO To 6

Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:52 pm

Quoting g500 (Thread starter):
I assume Delta will be the largest carrier on the very important NYC-L.A market???

Second place behind AA...which has 9 daily flights between JFK-LAX.
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!

richierich

Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:57 pm

Any idea what equipment this will be? I'm assuming it will be B757 to LAX and SFO across all flights.
None shall pass!!!!

United1

Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:02 pm

Quoting richierich (Reply 2):
Any idea what equipment this will be? I'm assuming it will be B757 to LAX and SFO across all flights.

The new flights are listed as being 757 aircraft...assuming that they don't downgrade any of the current flights they should all be 757.
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!

UAL777UK

Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:03 pm

So all 757's and lie flats in F, would that be right?

Seems like it could be a competitive product?

atrude777

Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:04 pm

According to this link yep!

http://news.delta.com/index.php?s=18&item=161

The link above mentions the aircraft assigned to the routes announced in the link above.

Very exciting to see expansion by Delta. Summer of 2012 will be an exciting time for the airlines combined!

Good Luck to Delta!

Alex
Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those who go AFTER it!

United1

Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:05 pm

Quoting ual777uk (Reply 4):
So all 757's and lie flats in F, would that be right?

DLs 752s have recliners in J....

STT757

Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:15 pm

Not even close, UA is the largest carrier in the Trans-Con market from NY to California:

EWR-LAX 8x daily
JFK-LAX 6 daily
JFK-SFO 7 daily
EWR-SFO 8 daily
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

miaami

Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:22 pm

Quoting United1 (Reply 1):
Second place behind AA...which has 9 daily flights between JFK-LAX.

small correction. AA has 10 nonstops JFK-LAX - all 767-200 - 3 class aircraft.

[Edited 2011-11-14 07:24:28]

codc10

Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:27 pm

Presently, from EWR/JFK to the LA Basin, nonstop carriers with market share:

from KJFK non-stop to KLAX American Airlines 14%
from KJFK non-stop to KLAX Delta Air Lines 9%
from KJFK non-stop to KLAX United Air Lines 8%
from KEWR non-stop to KLAX Continental Air Lines (United) 7%
from KJFK non-stop to KLAX Virgin America 5%
from KJFK non-stop to KLGB JetBlue Airways 3%
from KEWR non-stop to KSNA Continental Air Lines (United) 3%
from KJFK non-stop to KBUR JetBlue Airways 3%
from KJFK non-stop to KLAX JetBlue Airways 3%
from KEWR non-stop to KLAX American Airlines 2%

from KLAX non-stop to KJFK American Airlines 14%
from KLAX non-stop to KJFK Delta Air Lines 9%
from KLAX non-stop to KEWR Continental Air Lines (United) 8%
from KLAX non-stop to KJFK United Air Lines 8%
from KLAX non-stop to KJFK Virgin America 5%
from KSNA non-stop to KEWR Continental Air Lines (United) 3%
from KLGB non-stop to KJFK JetBlue Airways 3%
from KBUR non-stop to KJFK JetBlue Airways 3%
from KLAX non-stop to KJFK JetBlue Airways 3%
from KLAX non-stop to KEWR American Airlines 2%

avi8

Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:29 pm

Where are they getting these aircraft from? Are they coming from the dehubbing of Memphis?
avi8

Medschool student

LAXtoATL

Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:37 pm

Quoting avi8 (Reply 10):
Where are they getting these aircraft from? Are they coming from the dehubbing of Memphis?

No. International cutbacks. These aircraft are the international 757-200s with their business elite product. They will still be based out of JFK were they can continue their international duties but obviously they have increased slack in the fleet which allows them to operate more domestic transcon premium service with them.

G500

Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:13 pm

Quoting STT757 (Reply 7):
Not even close, UA is the largest carrier in the Trans-Con market from NY to California:

EWR-LAX 8x daily
JFK-LAX 6 daily
JFK-SFO 7 daily
EWR-SFO 8 daily

Correct, I forgot UA/CO count as one

I looked at another site, they show all 757s

cmb320

Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:57 pm

We offer an extremely competitive product on our transcons utilizing intl 757's.

slcdeltarumd11

Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:05 pm

Quoting avi8 (Reply 10):

Good question. I dont think these planes fly thru MEM though.

Alitalia744

Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:26 pm

Quoting slcdeltarumd11 (Reply 14):
Good question. I dont think these planes fly thru MEM though.

International pull-downs as others have said.
Some see lines, others see between the lines.

SurfandSnow

Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:53 pm

Delta announces its latest expansion at JFK.

To me, the most interesting stuff here is that which nobody is talking about: everything *other* than additional daily service to SFO and LAX!

For one, we will get more Caribbean service. I'm not sure what the deal is with LGA-NAS, it would seem like a great niche route (after all it has been tried by AA, DL, and US in recent years) but has only have sporadic, inconsistent service. With DL's LGA hub about to come online, let's see if they can stick with it this time around. As for JFK-SJU, it appears DL currently just has a pithy daily frequency on that ever-popular route. I imagine ratcheting up the frequency to 3x daily will allow DL to compete much more effectively. Then there's the JFK-Dominican Republic routes, a perfect way to utilize planes that would probably just be sitting idle overnight otherwise. These move could heat up competition with B6, though, which leads me to my next point...

Several markets getting new (ok, most or perhaps all are actually being resumed) service from JFK. While all five of the "new" routes will primarily just be there as feed for the transatlantic network, this will include the only nonstop DL services from Austin and Milwaukee to New York. In fact, this will be the ONLY nonstop link from MKE to JFK at all (and also the only nonstop between MCI and JFK). While DL will have the pair of heartland routes to itself, the three leisure routes will pit them against B6, who probably won't be happy by this move...

With the latest expansion, it will bring the total daily peak period departures to LAX to 8 and SFO to 6.

Once the UA/CO merger is complete, UA will be by far the largest carrier on that segment as it will offer full schedules between LAX and both JFK and EWR. AA comes next, with all their widebody service on JFK-LAX, plus the daily EWR-LAX service. DL will probably still come in third place, which still leaves them way ahead of VX (unable to grow due to a lack of additional JFK slots) and B6 (still a small player on the big route, I think the lack of F hurts them).
Flying in the middle seat of coach is much better than not flying at all!

panamair

Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:05 pm

Quoting avi8 (Reply 10):
Where are they getting these aircraft from?

The 752s look like they are coming off of JFK-ARN and JFK-CPH; both ARN and CPH are being upgauged to 763ERs for summer 2012. There was slack in the 763ER fleet this past summer, so this shouldn't be a problem.

DeltaMD90

Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:29 pm

For your viewing pleasure:

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=c%3Ablu...2C+jfk-sfo%2C+jfk-lax&MS=wls&DU=mi

http://www.gcmap.com/map?P=c:blue%0d%0alga-nas%0d%0ac:red%0d%0ajfk-sti,+jfk-sdq,+jfk-sju,+jfk-aus,+jfk-jax,+jfk-mci,+jfk-msy,+jfk-mke,+jfk-sfo,+jfk-lax&MS=wls&MR=300&MX=720x360&PM=*

Great Circle Mapper

[Edited 2011-11-14 11:46:51]
Ironically I have never flown a Delta MD-90 :)

FlyPNS1

Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:42 pm

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 18):

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=c%3Ablu...DU=mi

Very nice, though you got the wrong Santiago. You want STI, not SCL.

runway23

Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:44 pm

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 18):

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=c%3Ablu...DU=mi

Wrong Santiago, STI not SCL...

DeltaMD90

Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:49 pm

Quoting FlyPNS1 (Reply 19):
Very nice, though you got the wrong Santiago. You want STI, not SCL.
Quoting FlyPNS1 (Reply 19):
Wrong Santiago, STI not SCL...

Lol my bad. Fixed.

slcdeltarumd11

Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:52 pm

I wonder if delta got some additional contracts or any reason to push for more seats? Deltas average fares are not so great on these routes compared to competitors for quite some time unless this has changed? AA particularly and then UA have most of the large contracts on these routes i wonder what deltas logic is here on putting more seats in? Anyone have the latest load factors and average fares for these routes for NYC?

Quoting STT757 (Reply 7):

EWR-LAX 8x daily
JFK-LAX 6 daily
JFK-SFO 7 daily
EWR-SFO 8 daily

UA has become a huge player.

peanuts

Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:14 pm

Quoting slcdeltarumd11 (Reply 22):
UA has become a huge player.

Correct. Due to a merger.
I just think AA and DL are making sure UA has reached its peak at JFK. If it's up to them, they will force UA to cut JFK service over time. I think we are just seeing the first salvo indicating DL means business.
UA will hold on, for now. Over time, during tougher times, they may very well see their JFK-West Coast share significantly erode where it won't make sense to keep it going.

Previous threads discussions regarding DL's "split hub" status at JFK/LGA downplays the fact that DL will actually take a huge bite out of the general premium NYC O/D market share. The "split" part of it is really not that big of an obstacle. I believe, in this example, that a full capacity DL at JFK and LGA (once deal is settled and implemented) will actually have an indirect effect on UA's JFK-LAX performance.

Time will tell.

BCEaglesCO757

Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:24 pm

Quoting peanuts (Reply 23):
Correct. Due to a merger.
I just think AA and DL are making sure UA has reached its peak at JFK. If it's up to them, they will force UA to cut JFK service over time. I think we are just seeing the first salvo indicating DL means business.
UA will hold on, for now. Over time, during tougher times, they may very well see their JFK-West Coast share significantly erode where it won't make sense to keep it going.

Merger or not in the end,bottom line UA is a huge player. Thats all that counts.

Not to mention we have hubs at LAX and SFO to countinually feed the route. Plus we EWR is significantly strong in the NYC market. We do carry more passangers out of EWR than all the other carriers at EWR,JFK,and LGA combined. Not sure why we'll just be hanging on.......

Because judging from our last two quarterly performances we're 'just holding on' for now.  

We mean business too.

If I can make a correction, I'm speaking of the NYC-LAX/SFO market as a whole. We're not going anywhere.

[Edited 2011-11-14 12:27:07]

jetlanta

Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:26 pm

Quoting slcdeltarumd11 (Reply 22):
I wonder if delta got some additional contracts or any reason to push for more seats? Deltas average fares are not so great on these routes compared to competitors for quite some time unless this has changed? AA particularly and then UA have most of the large contracts on these routes i wonder what deltas logic is here on putting more seats in? Anyone have the latest load factors and average fares for these routes for NYC?

It has changed. And this service expansion is intended to ensure those trends continue.

PIEAvantiP180

Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:58 pm

This is good news for DL. 5 more domestic routes to feed the ever growing number of international destinations. Hopefully this will make all those international flights to become that much more profitable and hopefully more of them can remain year round and maybe new ones added.

HVNandrew

Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:20 pm

Quoting SurfandSnow (Reply 16):
To me, the most interesting stuff here is that which nobody is talking about: everything *other* than additional daily service to SFO and LAX!

Agreed. The LAX and SFO additions are a nice add and solidify DL's presence in those markets, but the most interesting addition to me is the SJU service. DL was a token player on the route, and that's a pretty big addition they're making. This also flies in the face of the claim that DL would slash JFK domestic service with the slot swap. DL still obviously feels there is a demand/need to feel their international flights out of JFK, as most of these latest additions do.

Good to see AUS back. DL flew that route up until a few years ago. I was surprised to see SAT come back before AUS. SAT was actually dropped about a year before DL stopped flying JFK-AUS the last time. DL now serves all four of the major Texas cities from NY - I think CO/UA is the only other carrier that has that.

DeltaMD90

Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:29 pm

Quoting HVNandrew (Reply 27):
This also flies in the face of the claim that DL would slash JFK domestic service with the slot swap. DL still obviously feels there is a demand/need to feel their international flights out of JFK, as most of these latest additions do.

I'd argue that JFK and LGA are completely separate operations for DL, and that comparing B6 JFK and DL JFK is apples to oranges. Even DL LGA and B6 JFK aren't the same.

DL JFK is the US - Europe, for the most part
DL LGA is a huge business market, with some connecting opportunities
B6 JFK is a domestic hub, and although can compete with DL JFK and DL LGA, the missions are different

Now UA EWR is a combo of all 3. They have a slight disadvantage (IMO, DON'T FLAME) of not being *IN* NYC, but it is more than made up with the fact that it is single ops. The NYC market is big enough for the likes of DL, UA, B6, and AA, as the sheer size of NYC is huge and there are multiple markets (business, international, and leisure all in one)

mke717spotter

Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:48 pm

DL flew JFK-MKE with the CRJ for a short time a few years ago before discontinuing it, hopefully it does better this time around with the CR9.
Will you watch the Cleveland Browns and the Detroit Lions on Sunday? Only if coach Eric Mangini resigned after a loss.

LAXtoATL

Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:17 pm

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 28):
I'd argue that JFK and LGA are completely separate operations for DL

I wouldn't say completely separate. They will be complementary operations and any changes at one or the other will be done keeping the other mind. Make no mistake there is one NYC strategy, while the LGA and JFK operations are of course separate because of the physical space between them they will be used to complement eachother and achieve a common NYC goal. You can even include the token operation at EWR as well.

jfklganyc

Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:48 pm

"We do carry more passangers out of EWR than all the other carriers at EWR,JFK,and LGA combined. Not sure why we'll just be hanging on......."

What nonsense.

All airlines at EWR handle 32 million pax a year.

LGA handles 25 million pax a year.

JFK handles 45 million pax a year.

Even if you take out the CO/UA presence at LGA and JFK, you're not handling more pax at EWR than all other carriers at all 3 airports combined.

What you do have is the largest market share. With DL #2, and B6 and AA in 3rd or 4th.

That means if you combined all enplanments at all 3 airports, you're #1. Doesn't mean you are bigger than all the other carriers combined. This isn't ATL, and you're not Delta.

And as for the #1 slot . . . stdby for Delta as the largest carrier out of LGA, tied for first with B6 out of JFK, and a good presence in EWR. We'll see how this unfolds . . .but I think they want that #1 spot and they have the slots to do it.

luv2fly

Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:59 pm

How many times has DL beefed up either NYC or LAX only to quickly draw it back down.
You can cut the irony with a knife

PIEAvantiP180

Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:00 am

Quoting luv2fly (Reply 32):

Very true for LAX but not for NYC. Yes they have had some ups and downs at JFK but overall its been a steady climb for DL in NYC over the last decade.

DeltaMD90

Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:07 am

How many times has DL beefed up either NYC or LAX only to quickly draw it back down.
LAX? Quite a few. But DL's NYC operation is going extremely well. I remember reading about the initial initial expansion back in high school, 2005 I think, and all the haters saying DL is gonna fail. They didn't!    I don't think they'll pass UA @ EWR, or if it'll pass ATL, but it's going nowhere soon.

LAX on the other hand... sigh......... DL's success there has been checkered...

[Edited 2011-11-14 16:08:07]

flyguy1

Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:32 am

Interesting that DL is picking up JFK-AUS, as AA is dropping that route.
727, L1011, MD80, A300, 777-200, 737-300, 737-700, 747-400, 757-200, 737-800, A320. E190, E135, 767-200, CRJ9

deltairlines

Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:45 am

Considering that Delta has done nothing but grown the NYC TransCon BusinessElite services, I'm guessing these are doing rather well for them. If you're a Medallion on a weekday flying it, good luck on getting an upgrade unless you're a Diamond on a very high fare.

commavia

Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:45 am

Quoting flyguy1 (Reply 35):
Interesting that DL is picking up JFK-AUS, as AA is dropping that route.

AA is not, at least as of now, dropping it. It was suspending seasonally and is scheduled to return in April.

flyguy1

Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:03 am

Quoting commavia (Reply 37):

AA is not, at least as of now, dropping it. It was suspending seasonally and is scheduled to return in April.

Did not know that, thanks.
727, L1011, MD80, A300, 777-200, 737-300, 737-700, 747-400, 757-200, 737-800, A320. E190, E135, 767-200, CRJ9

davescj

Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:03 am

One thing to note -- the JFK to MKE is not a "new" route. DL had this route prior to the current recession.

I think the flight to Austin is interesting, as that is a move into AA territory. Could this be a shot over the bow into other AA markets? That would be interesting given AA's current labor/finance issues.

CO/UA will naturally continue to serve JFK. I think the total number of flights is not likely to change greatly, since it is simply too big a market to ignore. Clearly, JFK is a major international and national market. There is no question that UA is going to have a greater focus at Newark, but I don't see them giving up rights to JFK or LGA either one.

Dave
Can I have a mojito on this flight?

DeltaMD90

Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:28 am

Quoting davescj (Reply 39):
I think the flight to Austin is interesting, as that is a move into AA territory. Could this be a shot over the bow into other AA markets? That would be interesting given AA's current labor/finance issues.

DL should be growing into AA's territory all they can while they are weak IMO. AA will rise again and be a very fierce, formidable competitor so it would behoove DL to move into markets and get a foothold while they still can

Indio66

Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:42 am

Quoting DeltAirlines (Reply 36):

I have been flying DL more and more; they have a good product out to Cali, Phx and the like. These flights have been very full and tough to upgrade on. Hopefully they will finish the upgrade of their (abysmal) JFK term soon

nycdave

Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:49 am

United's ps service at JFK is one of their most profitable domestically, and as the only *A carrier flying domestic transcon from JFK, they have *A fliers between SFO/LAX and JFK all to themselves.

Plus, they'd be absolutely crazy to give up slots there for any reason -- lord only knows when they'd get another chance at some if they changed their mind!

PIEAvantiP180

Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:01 am

Does anybody know exactly how many slots DL holds at JFK? Over the summer I believe I counted 198 peak day flights, but I've heard that their slot holding is closer to 250. Can anybody confirm this and if it is true how are they getting away bot not using some 50 daily slot pairs?

SESGDL

Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:08 am

Quoting jfklganyc (Reply 31):

What nonsense.

All airlines at EWR handle 32 million pax a year.

LGA handles 25 million pax a year.

JFK handles 45 million pax a year.

Even if you take out the CO/UA presence at LGA and JFK, you're not handling more pax at EWR than all other carriers at all 3 airports combined.

What you do have is the largest market share. With DL #2, and B6 and AA in 3rd or 4th.

That means if you combined all enplanments at all 3 airports, you're #1. Doesn't mean you are bigger than all the other carriers combined. This isn't ATL, and you're not Delta.

And as for the #1 slot . . . stdby for Delta as the largest carrier out of LGA, tied for first with B6 out of JFK, and a good presence in EWR. We'll see how this unfolds . . .but I think they want that #1 spot and they have the slots to do it.

People aren't informed about how large DL has become in the New York area. DL is now the largest airline at both JFK and LGA, and after the slot swap will be within 2% of UA/CO's market share in the New York market. Anyone who thinks that UA/CO's EWR operation is unstoppable or anything of the sort has not watched DL's expansion in NYC. DL has become a force to be reckoned with in New York and this further expansion will only solidify that. I notice the absence of a few key people in this thread, who in the past have had nothing good to say about DL's prospects in New York. How wrong they were...

Jeremy

HVNandrew

Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:10 am

Quoting PIEAvantiP180 (Reply 43):
Does anybody know exactly how many slots DL holds at JFK? Over the summer I believe I counted 198 peak day flights, but I've heard that their slot holding is closer to 250. Can anybody confirm this and if it is true how are they getting away bot not using some 50 daily slot pairs?

I don't know what the actual numbers are, but my guess is that if they do in fact have more slots at JFK than they are using, those dormant slots are for non-peak times. There are still free slots at JFK during certain times of day, it's just that nobody wants them.

PIEAvantiP180

Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:35 am

If DL does get enough market share and enough corporate contracts in the NYC, is there the possibility of them starting new long haul flights to Asia to better compete with UA/CO hub in EWR. What are the chances of JFK-HKG, PEK, PVG, DEL and BOM? I know that the 3 chinese cities are served out of DTW but what are the chances of having an east coast and a mid west hub working side by side with Asia flights just like UA/CO have?

SESGDL

Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:56 am

Quoting PIEAvantiP180 (Reply 46):
If DL does get enough market share and enough corporate contracts in the NYC, is there the possibility of them starting new long haul flights to Asia to better compete with UA/CO hub in EWR. What are the chances of JFK-HKG, PEK, PVG, DEL and BOM? I know that the 3 chinese cities are served out of DTW but what are the chances of having an east coast and a mid west hub working side by side with Asia flights just like UA/CO have?

It's inevitable that DL introduce more JFK service to Asia, considering there is so much economic growth in the region. Right now, DL's Asia focus has been in DTW, but I foresee JFK-PVG and PEK in the future for DL once more longhaul aircraft are introduced. New York to Hong Kong is too crowded as is, but JFK to Mainland China is ripe for more growth over the next few years. Same goes for India. It's only a matter of time if DL wants to "Win in New York" as its strategy has been.

Jeremy

codc10

Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:13 am

Quoting SESGDL (Reply 44):
I notice the absence of a few key people in this thread, who in the past have had nothing good to say about DL's prospects in New York. How wrong they were...

Hopefully I'm not one of those. I think I've always been complimentary of DL where deserved... and have the MQMs to prove it!  

laca773

Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:48 am

Quoting commavia (Reply 37):

AA is not, at least as of now, dropping it. It was suspending seasonally and is scheduled to return in April

I'm surprised they would operate JFK-AUS as a seasonal route. This seems strange.

I wish DL the best of luck with these new routes from NY.
One question. Doesn't DLX have any E75s to operate these longer sectors? It would be much more comfortable for their customers over the CR9s. These routes would be perfect for the E90s.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos