kotoka
Topic Author

DL To Launch ACC-ABV Service

Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:28 pm

DL now flies to 4 destinations from ACC...

ATL
JFK
ROB
ABV

http://www.theafricareport.com/index...-from-accra-to-abuja-50175296.html

DeltaMD90

RE: DL To Launch ACC-ABV Service

Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:02 pm

What exactly is DL's current African strategy? I've seen them do anything from having tag flights on each flight over, fly directly to only one destination with no tag flights, a mini-"hub" at DKR, now it looks like they're converging at ACC... good to see expansion on the African continent. Looking at the route networks of some European airlines, there is definitely a large demand for flights to/from the continent that American carriers can tap into
Ironically I have never flown a Delta MD-90 :)

papatango

Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:13 pm

When is Nairobi service going to start?

panamair

Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:13 pm

The article is quite a few months late....DL has already been flying the ACC-ABV tag for a while now...in fact there was an ACC-ABV-ACC flight today..

modesto2

Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:01 pm

A few points about DL in Africa:

- DL has been flying ABVACC for a while now.
- DKR was mainly used as a fuel stop for its flights to CPT and JNB.
- CPT was canceled and the 77L has the range for ATLJNB.
- DL still operates DKRJFK at less than a daily frequency.
- With UA starting IAHLOS, DL's ATLLOS route will definitely be affected.

LAXtoATL

Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:31 pm

Quoting papatango (Reply 2):
When is Nairobi service going to start?

When/if Dept of Homeland Security gives them approval. I am not sure if that is the correct agency, but DL had all the appropriate govt authorizations to begin the route last year and was scuttled days before the inagural flight by one of the US gov't agencies over a perceived security threat. With all the time that has passed, does anyone know for sure if Delta is still interested in launching that route or have they put it on the back burner?

kotoka
Topic Author

Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:50 pm

Quoting modesto2 (Reply 4):
- DL has been flying ABVACC for a while now.
Quoting panamair (Reply 3):
The article is quite a few months late....DL has already been flying the ACC-ABV tag for a while now...in fact there was an ACC-ABV-ACC flight today..

Delta has indeed been flying ACC-ABV-ACC for a while, but it did not have 5th freedom rights on this route in the past. The current DL flight from JFK lands in ACC, and departs for ABV without taking on board any passengers in ACC. While it isn't specifically mentioned in the article I believe passengers will now be able to purchase tickets on the ACC-ABV and ABV-ACC routes (just like is happening currently with ACC-ROB).

calpsafltskeds

Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:02 am

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 1):
What exactly is DL's current African strategy? I've seen them do anything from having tag flights on each flight over, fly directly to only one destination with no tag flights, a mini-"hub" at DKR, now it looks like they're converging at ACC... good to see expansion on the African continent. Looking at the route networks of some European airlines, there is definitely a large demand for flights to/from the continent that American carriers can tap into

Tags are pretty expensive to operate and may indicate the local traffic is weak and needs support. I assume this is a mini scissors hub cross connecting JFK and ATL to ROB and ABV.

If you look at the DL route maps, they also show a future route of SSG (Malabo, Bioko Island, GQ). Not sure how that would be operated as there are only two markets to the U. S. and two markets in Africa. I don't think DL would place an aircraft in ACC to run a roundtrip to SSG daily. Would they?

On second thought, you can do a sciossors hub with only one flight on the ground. the ACC service appears to be to JFK 4 days and week and ATL 3 days a week. The ROB and ABV service is 2 or 3 days a week.

[Edited 2011-11-15 16:17:49]
sites.google.com/site/unitedfleetsite/

burnsie28

Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:17 am

Quoting CALPSAFltSkeds (Reply 7):
If you look at the DL route maps, they also show a future route of SSG (Malabo, Bioko Island, GQ). Not sure how that would be operated as there are only two markets to the U. S. and two markets in Africa. I don't think DL would place an aircraft in ACC to run a roundtrip to SSG daily

This will be operated with a 757

catiii

Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:04 am

Quoting LAXtoATL (Reply 5):
When/if Dept of Homeland Security gives them approval. I am not sure if that is the correct agency, but DL had all the appropriate govt authorizations to begin the route last year and was scuttled days before the inagural flight by one of the US gov't agencies over a perceived security threat. With all the time that has passed, does anyone know for sure if Delta is still interested in launching that route or have they put it on the back burner?

My understanding is that they, in fact, never actually had gotten the approvals from TSA/DHS before they started selling the flights, and all along TSA/DHS kept telling them they had a problem with the security situation in NBO, specifically as it relates to MANPADS. More here: http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/Story?id=7739435&page=1#.TsMMFlY8WkI

yellowtail

Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:47 am

Personally I think NBO and maybe ADD are the only 2 cities in west africa that could remotely support a non-stop from the US. there is enough premium demand and high end tourism to NBO that they yields should not be too bad on a non-stop if DL had the right equipment....say a 788....

Cargo too is pretty decent.

I fly it once a year and I know I would use it.....about the only time I buy a J class ticket is when I a going that far.
When in doubt, hold on to your altitude. No-one has ever collided with the sky.

kiwiandrew

Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:55 am

Quoting yellowtail (Reply 10):
Personally I think NBO and maybe ADD are the only 2 cities in west africa that could remotely support a non-stop from the US
West Africa ? Are you really sure about that ?

United787

Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:00 am

Delta has built up quite an impressive Africa network in a relatively short amount of time, kudos to them for showing UA the way! No US airline has come anywhere close to this amount of destinations since PanAm and DL may have more of a network than PA ever did...

DeltaMD90

Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:09 am

What are the current (and proposed routes) for DL in Africa?

catiii

Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:16 am

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 13):

This will answer that: http://images.delta.com.edgesuite.net/delta/pdfs/Africa11_11.pdf

DeltaMD90

Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:34 am

Quoting catiii (Reply 14):
Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 13):

This will answer that: http://images.delta.com.edgesuite.ne...1.pdf

That probably was the worst question I've ever asked!!!   

modesto2

Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:39 am

Although the map shows SSG as a future destination, that route will not be starting anytime soon due to government affair issues.

panamair

Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:51 am

Quoting United787 (Reply 12):
since PanAm and DL may have more of a network than PA ever did...

No, PA had more - done with lots of stops between JFK and JNB. In 1972, for example, PA was flying to 13 African destinations: CMN, DKR, ROB, Abidjan, ACC, LOS, Contonou, Douala, NBO, DAR, Entebbe/Kampala, Kinshasa, and JNB. The African gateways were DKR and CMN, and then multiple stops at the other listed destinations before ending up in JNB.

DeltaMD90

Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:12 am

Quoting panamair (Reply 17):
http://www.departedflights.com/routemaps7b.html

Looks like Pan Am's African route structure remained fairly consistent throughout the 70s and early 80s. I think there is still some room for DL to grow in Africa and that they'll overtake PA in the future.

Any chance DL is going to start a mini hub in Africa? I know direct flights are preferable but many markets cannot support a 767 all the way from ATL or JFK. ACC looks like it might be a good operation, but I have no clue really...

panamair

Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:05 am

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 18):
I think there is still some room for DL to grow in Africa and that they'll overtake PA in the future.

They may overtake Pan Am in terms of nonstop frequencies and capacity to the continent, but the number of destinations that DL could serve profitably will likely remain below those of Pan Am's. Lots of these places have little to no American interests anymore (if they had any to begin with) - even Pan Am only used to serve them with a 1x weekly frequency. These hops across sub-Saharan Africa are simply not viable in today's environment.

Frostbite

Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:51 pm

Quoting modesto2 (Reply 16):
Although the map shows SSG as a future destination, that route will not be starting anytime soon due to government affair issues.

Considering the fate of DL's Luanda service - cancelled mere days before the inaugural - I would be shocked if the widget ever lands in Malabo. If Angolan and Eq. Guinean government authorities don't allow US oil industry workers to use DL's service...then there are no passengers.

As for Nairobi - I don't think any US carrier will be landing there anytime soon, due to the shaky situation in the "Horn of Africa" with respect to extremist groups and very credible terrorist threats.

In the short-term it's hard for me to see the widget landing anywhere new in Africa. I think it's only a matter of time before DL returns to Cairo. Considering DL's apparently successful foray into Liberia, I suppose a tag-on service to Freetown, Sierra Leone is not out of the question, but that is pure speculation on my part.

packcheer

Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:14 pm

Quoting catiii (Reply 14):
This will answer that: http://images.delta.com.edgesuite.ne...1.pdf

Didn't think I should start a new topic, but the above link brought up an African related question. What is a typical route for ATL - JNB ? On the map I know they are drawing straight lines, but does the flight really go the whole way over water? I know there are airports within reach all along the way, but that has to be one of the longest over water flights possible if that's the case.
Things that fly, Girls and Planes...

kotoka
Topic Author

Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:04 pm

Quoting packcheer (Reply 21):
Didn't think I should start a new topic, but the above link brought up an African related question. What is a typical route for ATL - JNB ? On the map I know they are drawing straight lines, but does the flight really go the whole way over water? I know there are airports within reach all along the way, but that has to be one of the longest over water flights possible if that's the case.

Yes, it does appear to be entirely over water:

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/D...1/history/20111114/1820Z/FAJS/KATL

MaverickM11

Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:17 pm

Quoting panamair (Reply 17):
No, PA had more - done with lots of stops between JFK and JNB. In 1972, for example, PA was flying to 13 African destinations: CMN, DKR, ROB, Abidjan, ACC, LOS, Contonou, Douala, NBO, DAR, Entebbe/Kampala, Kinshasa, and JNB. The African gateways were DKR and CMN, and then multiple stops at the other listed destinations before ending up in JNB.

Without even looking I'd bet that DL has more departures, seats, and ASMs to Africa than PA ever did.
E pur si muove -Galileo

DeltaMD90

Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:19 pm

Now that Libya has overthrown Qadafi or however you spell his name, and assuming they don't become very hostile to us, do you think we may see a US airline serve Tripoli? I doubt there is much of a demand but there may be depending on how Libya grows

catiii

Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:59 am

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 24):
Now that Libya has overthrown Qadafi or however you spell his name, and assuming they don't become very hostile to us, do you think we may see a US airline serve Tripoli?

I think I saw in the news recently that some 70,000 MANPADS in Libya are unaccounted for. If TSA wouldn't let DL go into NBO because of a perceived MANPAD threat, who knows what they'll do about Tripoli!

yellowtail

Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:30 am

Quoting kiwiandrew (Reply 11):
West Africa ? Are you really sure about that ?

Of course I meant EAST.

Been dealing with " west" stuff all day!
When in doubt, hold on to your altitude. No-one has ever collided with the sky.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos