cchan
Topic Author

New Zealand Aviation Thread Part 106

Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:40 am

Welcome to the 106th New Zealand Aviation Thread.

In New Zealand Aviation Thread Part 105 (by NZ1 Nov 1 2011 in Civil Aviation) we discussed:

- Black livery NZ aircrafts
- New NZ WLG-MON-ZQN services
- NZ 733 between CHC and ROT
- 1st 787 visit to AKL
- Is NZ going to cut LAX-LHR?
- Other possible European destinations for NZ
- Booking classes of connecting flights on NZ tickets

A330NZ

RE: New Zealand Aviation Thread Part 106

Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:31 am

Quoting cchan (Thread starter):
- New NZ WLG-MON-ZQN services

Isn't it CHC-MON-ZQN?

http://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/press...en-mt-cook-christchurch-queenstown

777ER
Crew

Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:19 am

From previous thread

Quoting 777ER (Reply 196):
If you saw a Y+ ticket being advertised with NZ to say ORD, would you expect with the UA internal flight to be booked in 'W' or a higher Economy fare bracket? If NZ are going to advertise or sell you a Y+ fare then yes I believe (and so do other a.net users on this forum) that its realistic to expect a higher booking class.

I don't understand why you think it's realistic to expect the highest booking class. The main benefit (outside of weird airline specifics such as the AC case below) of the higher booking class is availability, and if W (or Q or B or ...) is available then what difference does it make to someone purchasing the fare? The fare rules govern the fees and flexibility, not the booking class.

I.e. what benefit are you expecting from the higher booking class? The only argument I could see would be Airpoints earning, which probably does have some value.
Yes Airpoints earning is a big one for me as the majority of my earnings come from long haul travel as the domestic trips I do won't earn enough for status renew.

Quoting Kaiarahi (Reply 197):

Not necessarily. Right now NZ is charging more for the discounted Y than it would cost the pax to buy it and pocketing the difference

I suspect there would be a substantial fare difference between Y and W and that this would incur cost to NZ to offer, which would absolutely be passed on to the customer.
I think your missing the point here BlackLabel. Were not talking about the difference between Y and W class fare here. Y is being talked about here as an Economy booking and Y is knowen world wide as Economy Class. Discounted Y is being talked about as a Discounted Economy ticket.

Quoting BlackLabel (Reply 198):
I suspect there would be a substantial fare difference between Y and W and that this would incur cost to NZ to offer, which would absolutely be passed on to the customer.

I totally agree. However, that works TWO ways - NZ shouldn't exploit their pax by booking them in a cheap fare bucket and then pocket the difference!!!
100% agree. NZ does this also with the domestic add on flight. They book you in full economy for $100 when the fare at the time could only be between $60-$80 and also the Airpoints status you earn is less then what you earn on a flight over 300kms. Over 300kms earns 12 status points yet NZ only give you 10 status points for a domestic add on!
Head Forum Moderator
moderators@airliners.net

cchan
Topic Author

Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:59 am

Quoting A330NZ (Reply 1):
Isn't it CHC-MON-ZQN?

Sorry, made a mistake. CHC indeed, not WLG. Thanks for pointing out.

[Edited 2011-11-15 23:01:46]

NZ107

Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:56 am

Interesting article about Air NZ's plans here: NZ%20Wants%20Quick%20Rollout%20For%20Long-Haul%20Changes" target="_blank">http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/gener...ollout%20For%20Long-Haul%20Changes

Quote:
The existing one-stop flights to London via Hong Kong and Los Angeles are likely to remain for now. However, in a recent memo to employees, CEO Rob Fyfe says the future of these services depends on “being able to achieve improved operating efficiencies and building partnerships to ensure these services can be operated profitably.”
It's all about the destination AND the journey.

777ER
Crew

Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:01 pm

Interesting article! Judging by the comments in the article on the succesfull changes to NZs Australian/Pacific routes I'm going to say that I wouldn't be surprised to see the 'Seats to Suit' rolled out in long haul Economy. Would certainly be interesting to see how NZ change Economy if they did in terms of IFE and meals/drinks and also sadly possibly expect NZ to further destroy the benefits of being an Airpoints member!
Head Forum Moderator
moderators@airliners.net

cchan
Topic Author

Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:12 pm

Quoting 777ER (Reply 5):
possibly expect NZ to further destroy the benefits of being an Airpoints member

There isn't much to further destroy in this area though.

Quoting NZ107 (Reply 4):
Interesting article about Air NZ's plans here

Reading the article makes me feel that NZ will not take up the 2x 77W options, and the 77W fleet will remain 5. If they are going to maintain LHR via both LAX and HKG, then I hope they take the options and send the 77W on NZ38/39 as well.

Motorhussy

Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:58 pm

Quoting cchan (Reply 3):
Quoting A330NZ (Reply 1):
Isn't it CHC-MON-ZQN?

Sorry, made a mistake. CHC indeed, not WLG. Thanks for pointing out.

I, however, think there's serious merit in a WLG-MON-ZQN flight, maybe originating in ROT.

Regards
MH
come visit the south pacific

Motorhussy

Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:05 pm

And speaking of WLG, Wellington Tourism has a pop-up restaurant in Melbourne's Fitzroy for the next week which is called WLG. It's to encourage more epicurious tourists across the Tasman.

Apparently the Victorian diners are delighting in ordering "...the fush!"

http://www.wellingtonnz.com/australian_visitors/what_is_wlg

Regards
MH
come visit the south pacific

NZ107

Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:23 pm

Quoting motorhussy (Reply 7):
maybe originating in ROT.

Well in that case, they can just take the 737 to CHC and head through MON to ZQN that way.

TravellerPlus

Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:51 pm

Quoting motorhussy (Reply 8):
Apparently the Victorian diners are delighting in ordering "...the fush!"

I'm sure they'll be wowed by this teaser of Wellington's delights. Hopefullly it turns into bookings so that the Aussie visitors can experience collecting boarding passes from something called a "chicken" desk....
What goes around comes around....unless your luggage is not on the carousel...

BlackLabel

Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:29 am

Quoting 777ER (Reply 2):
Yes Airpoints earning is a big one for me as the majority of my earnings come from long haul travel as the domestic trips I do won't earn enough for status renew.

That can be fixed without changing the booking class, if NZ cared to fix it. Which they've indicated with their continual devaluations of Airpoints that they don't.

Quoting 777ER (Reply 2):
I think your missing the point here BlackLabel. Were not talking about the difference between Y and W class fare here. Y is being talked about here as an Economy booking and Y is knowen world wide as Economy Class. Discounted Y is being talked about as a Discounted Economy ticket

Then you need to be clearer. I specifically asked you if you expected the fare to be booked into Y class (opposed to B, H, Q, V, etc). I still think that is an unrealistic expectation, and if NZ did switch their partner classes to higher buckets you can expect to see higher fares. The only benefit of the higher booking class is availability (which is the only reason I have in the past had add-on sectors booked into higher classes). Everything else is somewhat irrelevant.

Quoting NZ107 (Reply 4):
Interesting article about Air NZ's plans here:

That same memo, IIRC, is the one that states there are no plans for further two-destination flying.

Quoting 777ER (Reply 5):
Interesting article! Judging by the comments in the article on the succesfull changes to NZs Australian/Pacific routes I'm going to say that I wouldn't be surprised to see the 'Seats to Suit' rolled out in long haul Economy.

I agree. I think it's inevitable.

koruman

Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:40 am

Quoting 777ER (Reply 5):
Judging by the comments in the article on the succesfull changes to NZs Australian/Pacific routes I'm going to say that I wouldn't be surprised to see the 'Seats to Suit' rolled out in long haul Economy

Several comments here:

1) Seats To Suit has not been what has transformed Tasman profitability. It is the conversion of Pacific Blue from a competitor to a price-fixing partner which has done that.

2) Seats To Suit is used on short sectors where a large proportion of passengers not flying on Air NZ were flying on LCC All-Economy services on Jetstar and Pacific Blue.

3) The long-haul passengers carried on services to/from New Zealand are in over 95% of cases flying on tickets which include baggage, meals and drinks - the only exception is Air Asia X to KUL and Jetstar to SIN. Both of which are routes which Air New Zealand has vacated.

If Air NZ introduces S2S on all long-haul flights, I would imagine that Emirates, Singapore Airlines, United and Hawaiian Airlines will quickly be laughing all the way to the bank. The only long-haul flights where I can see a role for S2S are to China and maybe Japan.

cchan
Topic Author

Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:07 am

Quoting koruman (Reply 12):
If Air NZ introduces S2S on all long-haul flights, I would imagine that Emirates, Singapore Airlines, United and Hawaiian Airlines will quickly be laughing all the way to the bank.

IMHO, the seat to suit model just makes NZ look cheap. It gives the impression that this airline offers services similar quality to DJ, JQ, Air Asia etc., not something in par with CX, SQ alike, not even QF.

nascarnut

Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:02 pm

2nd Black Airbus ZK-OJR to enter service 3 days earlier than planned. It will not be up and running effective 24th Nov.
Will operate 4 sectors 24th and 25th, 3 sectors on 26th to have it overnight in CHC ready for original planned entry into service on the 27th.
Be interesting to see the 2 Black 'buses' side by side in AKL

777ER
Crew

Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:06 pm

Quoting cchan (Reply 13):

I've spoken to several friends who have used NZ to Australia since S2S was launched and they have all basically said the same thing, NZs service level has dropped to a LCC service and its usually cheaper to fly EK from AKL or CHC then the 'seat' option
Head Forum Moderator
moderators@airliners.net

TravellerPlus

Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:45 pm

The move to the LCC model is not just about reducing costs, but also about extracting value from a company's suite of products and services. This is part of a wider trend of allowing consumers to customising products. This creates value by allowing intrinsic value within a product or service to be released. Think how McDonalds now offers a made to order service or how you download apps that meet your needs. Why shouldn't airlines meet this growing consumer expectation?

Air NZ is well ahead of many others in this field. It profiled different passenger types to underpin the investment in the new long haul cabin. (Remember those Simpsons characters.) Indeed, the concept behind the Skycouch is to allow travellers to customise how they can use of their allocation of economy class space.

Thinking about seats to suits, I can easily see how it would be transformational for an airline's wafer thin profit margins. I've heard Norm Thomson speak and he mentioned that the few dollars worth of food ingredients turns into something like $20 of realised costs for each meal after loading, paying for the fuel to fly the meal and cleaning up afterwards.

What could this per-meal savings figure mean for Air NZ? I don't know the uptake of the meals per flight or costs, but lets say 120 passengers per A320 don't select a meal. The savings are about $2400 per A320 flight. Air NZ operates something like 13,000 international A320 flights. This equates to $31 million of annual savings. I couldn't quatify the additional savings that would flow from the changed baggage regieme, but I suspect that they would be larger.

If a fully inclusive, high quality product was the key to success, one only needs to look to Singapore Airlines. Their passenger numbers have virtually stagnated over the past decade and their profit margins have shrunk to the 1%-3% range. I think that the likes of Air NZ, Virgin Australia, Jetstar and Air Asia X have it right. They have a suit of products that allow consumers to pick and chose what to pay. It gives airlines greater control of costs as well.

For the record, I do not work at Air NZ but I certainly think they are an airline moving the right direction and deserve a little more credit than what they are given in this forum. Air NZers reading this should be proud of their company and the direction it is moving in.

Zkpilot

Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:36 pm

Quoting TravellerPlus (Reply 16):

Air NZ is well ahead of many others in this field. It profiled different passenger types to underpin the investment in the new long haul cabin. (Remember those Simpsons characters.) Indeed, the concept behind the Skycouch is to allow travellers to customise how they can use of their allocation of economy class space.

If NZ are to do this then I would like to see them further stratify economy... ie D - zone economy should be 3-3-3 all with Sky Couches, E-Zone should be a basic/economy-economy with 3-4-3... This way they could keep their yields and satisfaction up amoungst the frequent fliers/full economy pax, whilst still having high loads etc from having more seats in the back.
56 types. 38 countries. 24 airlines.

TravellerPlus

Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:07 pm

Quoting Zkpilot (Reply 17):
If NZ are to do this then I would like to see them further stratify economy... ie D - zone economy should be 3-3-3 all with Sky Couches, E-Zone should be a basic/economy-economy with 3-4-3...

Whilst I doubt the 10 abreast in a 773 issue will ever die, but my observation would be how would any suggested alternatives for the 777 fleet carry over the 787 as well.

Therefore in this case would it be fair to say that your mixed 3-3-3 and 3-4-3 proposal could work with both fleets? It seems to fit the Boeing's trademarked concept of a 3-2-3 economy configuration, with the Skycouchs on the outside and "premium" (surcharged) twin seats in the middle. The width would be similar to the current 772 3-3-3 seat.

It also means that there would be a 787 cabin in a 3-3-3 layout with a similar pitch and width to the current 773 3-4-3 seats.

Zkpilot

Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:40 pm

Quoting TravellerPlus (Reply 18):
Quoting Zkpilot (Reply 17):
If NZ are to do this then I would like to see them further stratify economy... ie D - zone economy should be 3-3-3 all with Sky Couches, E-Zone should be a basic/economy-economy with 3-4-3...

Whilst I doubt the 10 abreast in a 773 issue will ever die, but my observation would be how would any suggested alternatives for the 777 fleet carry over the 787 as well.

Therefore in this case would it be fair to say that your mixed 3-3-3 and 3-4-3 proposal could work with both fleets? It seems to fit the Boeing's trademarked concept of a 3-2-3 economy configuration, with the Skycouchs on the outside and "premium" (surcharged) twin seats in the middle. The width would be similar to the current 772 3-3-3 seat.

It also means that there would be a 787 cabin in a 3-3-3 layout with a similar pitch and width to the current 773 3-4-3 seats.

Yeah that makes sense... spacecouch/economy+ in the forward section, cheap economy in the rear...
I was hoping NZ would have gone 2-4-2 with the 787 but after the 77W 3-4-3 that has all but been dashed... it will be 3-3-3 on the 787  

cchan
Topic Author

Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:35 am

Quoting 777ER (Reply 15):
I've spoken to several friends who have used NZ to Australia since S2S was launched and they have all basically said the same thing, NZs service level has dropped to a LCC service and its usually cheaper to fly EK from AKL or CHC then the 'seat' option

The main problem with the S2S model is NZ's brand image. From the perspective of premium customers, NZ would become a cheapskate trying to play rich and generous. From the perspective of budget customers, NZ is not cheaper than other LCCs. Switching to a S2S model does not mean NZ will price their airfares substantially cheaper than other full service airlines like CX, QF or SQ. So why pay about the same and receive a lower quality product? For the die hard frugal travelers, I don't think NZ would ever beat Air Asia X in fares.

[Edited 2011-11-17 17:36:09]

koruman

Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:35 am

Quoting TravellerPlus (Reply 18):

I wouldn't have a problem with the following 77E and 77W separation:

Economy Class: 3-3-3 seating with 34 inch pitch, included luggage, meals and IFE, Star RTW fares book into this. If Economy full, they book into Economy Minus but with included luggage, meals and IFE.

Economy Minus: 3-4-3 seating with 31 inch pitch, luggage meals and IFE for sale.

What I would not accept and would consider to be economic suicide would be making ALL Economy into Economy Minus.

aerorobnz

Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:48 am

Skycouches are selling well, I am pretty confident you will not see "Economy minus" for the whole aircraft.

'Seats to suit' has only been mentioned as one business model being explored. There are a number of other options as well.
Flown to 120 Airports in 44 Countries on 73 Operators. Visited 55 Countries and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

ZKOJH

Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:21 am

''Marriage Proposal Goes Off Without A Hitch In Dreamliner Cockpit''

Seems a good show for NZ,

The Boeing 787-8 Dreamliner has just departed Auckland International Airport signalling the end of its first visit to New Zealand, but not before one young man proposed to his girlfriend in the aircraft’s cockpit.

In front of Air New Zealand and Boeing staff and more than 100 strangers onsite at the time to see the 787, Aucklander Ryan Manson yesterday afternoon proposed to his girlfriend Pia Parker while they sat in the two pilot seats.

Pia said yes.

Ryan and Pia announced their engagement via Air New Zealand’s twitter account www.twitter.com/flyairnz, which has been awash with messages of congratulations since, including:

•Congrats! *Gettin' teary-eyed*... So cute!  
•CONGRATULATIONS!!! Talk about a memorable proposal!!!  
•that has to be the best place to ever propose

http://www.etravelblackboard.co.nz/article.asp?nav=2&id=80110
Vietnam time..

aerorobnz

Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:46 am

Quoting ZKOJH (Reply 23):

Tacky!!!
Flown to 120 Airports in 44 Countries on 73 Operators. Visited 55 Countries and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

777ER
Crew

Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:43 am

Quoting nascarnut (Reply 14):

What flights is -OJR operating?
Head Forum Moderator
moderators@airliners.net

Kaiarahi

Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:39 pm

Quoting TravellerPlus (Reply 16):
Think how McDonalds now offers a made to order service

I don't eat at McDonalds. I either eat at home or at restaurants that offer a real made to order service using freshly-sourced quality ingredients to create innovative food. Most of my friends do the same.
Empty vessels make the most noise.

nascarnut

Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:11 pm

Quoting 777ER (Reply 25):
What flights is -OJR operating?

Thu 24th
NZ671/672 AKL-DUD-AKL
NZ543/546 AKL-CHC-AKL

Fri 25th
NZ671/672 AKL-DUD-AKL
NZ673/674 AKL-DUD-AKL

Sat 26th
NZ671/672 AKL-DUD-AKL
NZ529 AKL-CHC

Dunedin flights to add additional capacity for Elton John concert in Dunedin

NZ107

Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:19 pm

Quoting nascarnut (Reply 27):
Dunedin flights to add additional capacity for Elton John concert in Dunedin

Haha I was about to say - interesting to see the A320 being used on DUD services! I mean obviously it'll be the case in the future but all their flights are still 733 operated.

Gasman

Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:58 pm

Seems there is trouble at 'mill between HKK and CHC.

A colleague of mine who flies this route weekly, was told "off the record" by NZ staff that this route has suffered multiple flight cancellations recently due to a disgruntled pilot who is intent on pursuing his own brand of industrial action. Can anyone shed any more light on it?

ZKNCL

Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:05 pm

Tacky!!!

No joke, I was right behind them in the tour - the 2:00p.m. and saw the marriage proposal, then the jokes came, by the captain  

Anybody else go on the Monday tours? Saw OJR out of the tarmac being prepared, a 772 in the 747 hanger and a Hawaiian 767 there so pretty full I guess

Mr AirNZ

Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:18 pm

Quoting gasman (Reply 29):
Seems there is trouble at 'mill between HKK and CHC.

A colleague of mine who flies this route weekly, was told "off the record" by NZ staff that this route has suffered multiple flight cancellations recently due to a disgruntled pilot who is intent on pursuing his own brand of industrial action. Can anyone shed any more light on it?

Both Eagle Air and Air Nelson who operate on this route have contract negotiations under way. Both are still in an early stage and no industrial action of any sort is currently being undertaken. The only cancellations I know of of late on this route have been down to engineering and weather i.e. the usual cause. Include the fact that many crews might be on a shift that goes to HKK only once or twice a month and 'mulitple cancellations' down to one pilot look even more absurd.

[Edited 2011-11-18 13:21:57]

[Edited 2011-11-18 13:22:47]

aerorobnz

Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:42 pm

Quoting ZKNCL (Reply 30):
Anybody else go on the Monday tours?

I went on Sunday, when we only had staff and no marriages. 757F and OKP.

A330NZ

Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:58 pm

Now, I know that Rob has said no more 2 destination routes, but I believe NZ should fly a 3 x weekly AKL-LAX-FRA service as an extension of NZ5 and NZ6

NZ6

19:15 AKL - LAX 10:30

12:30 LAX - FRA 08:25 +1

NZ5

17:05 FRA - LAX 20:00

22:00 LAX - AKL 08:00 +2

Within 3 hours of the arrival of NZ6 and departure of NZ5, there are connections to/from LHR, OSL, ARN, CPH, ZRH, BRU, AMS, CDG, PRG, WAW, FCO, MXP, VIE - plus more destinations in Europe

Also, the LAX - FRA - LAX flights are timed to depart at different times than LH, preventing competition (flight times as of July 22 2012)

NZ6 12:30 LAX - FRA 08:25 +1

LH457 14:50 LAX - FRA 10:30 +1

LH451 19:05 LAX - FRA 14:45 +1

------------------------------------------------

NZ5 17:05 FRA - LAX 20:00

LH456 10:00 FRA - LAX 12:40

LH450 14:00 FRA - LAX 16:40

I beleive this route would be viable because the service can provide passengers from all over Europe a quality service to New Zealand and America, and for New Zealanders and Americans to Europe

xiaotung

Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:27 pm

Quoting A330NZ (Reply 33):
I beleive this route would be viable because the service can provide passengers from all over Europe a quality service to New Zealand and America, and for New Zealanders and Americans to Europe

Pax going to the States from other parts of Europe are more likely to go LH all the way. And pax heading to New Zealand would face a 2 stop journey.

ZKOJH

Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:25 am

we have tried FRA before got the T-shirt and moved in and out! haha, going to South America will offer what if TAM move over to ''OW'' India is a mess so that leave Asia - the big dream CHINA then need to take lots more pills for my headace. we've waited so long on the 787's that all the chances have faded. Look at HA only this week they order another 5 A332's something NZ could have thought about. but now looks like NZ are becoming a lcc and charge for everything.
Vietnam time..

ZKNCL

Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:52 am

Quoting aerorobnz (Reply 32):
757F

Ah, yes forgot to mention the DHL 757 there. However never saw OKP.

zkncl

NZ1
Crew

Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:47 am

Quoting nascarnut (Reply 27):

OJR has only pressed into service slightly earlier than planned to cover for NGK. NGK has a job needing to be carried out which will take 2 - 3 days, so OJR was brought in. The fact it increases DUD capacity for Elton John was a lucky bonus.

NZ1
--
✈ NZ1 / Mike
Head Forum Moderator
www.airliners.net
www.twitter.com/airliners_net

byronicle6

Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:47 am

Off topic, but I would like to see some new trans-Tasman routes started with either NZ/DJ (or possibly even JQ) which could work well for NZ to feed pax onto long- haul to US/Canada & Europe. Surely some are in the pipeline? AKL-HBA, AKL-CBR, AKL-TSV, AKL-NTL, AKL-MCY, WLG-CBR, WLG-OOL, CHC-PER ?
Travel is my thing

aerorobnz

Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:01 am

Quoting byronicle6 (Reply 38):
Surely some are in the pipeline?

maybe 1 or two but I doubt it for most of the routes mentioned. The market for many of those is too small to justify A320/738 ops. I only envisage TSV/HBA as having any potential with the current fleets. CHC-PER would work if it was an A319 perhaps.

PA515

Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:53 am

ZK-NBV is returning from YVR as NZ6009, due 0610 NZDT Sunday.
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/ANZ6009

ZK-SUH is doing NZ83 from YVR, due 0514 NZDT Sunday.
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/ANZ83

They are both on the same track but SUH is at 34,000ft taking 12h 53m while the empty NBV is at 36,000ft taking 13h 20m. Extra drag?

PA515

A330NZ

Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:12 am

Quoting byronicle6 (Reply 38):
CHC-PER

I flew CHC-PER with NZ couple of years ago and the check-in lady said 'there sure are a lot of people going to Perth today!' and since then I've known quite a few people that have gone there with other airlines - mainly QF

I'd love to see this NZ operating this route, and according to airbus.com, the A320 has the range

NZ1
Crew

Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:32 am

Quoting PA515 (Reply 40):

ZK-NBV is returning from YVR as NZ6009, due 0610 NZDT Sunday.
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/ANZ6009

ZK-SUH is doing NZ83 from YVR, due 0514 NZDT Sunday.
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/ANZ83

They are both on the same track but SUH is at 34,000ft taking 12h 53m while the empty NBV is at 36,000ft taking 13h 20m. Extra drag?

Could be more of a headwind at the higher altitude?

NZ1
--
✈ NZ1 / Mike
Head Forum Moderator
www.airliners.net

byronicle6

Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:41 am

Quoting A330NZ (Reply 41):

I agree, would be fantastic ifNZ operated the route. I think there are enough pax in CHristchurch and Perth to make the service profitable, especially if it can be done on an A320, and a 763 is not required, even if it were to be just 2/3 times weekly
Travel is my thing

ZKSUJ

Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:48 am

Maybe lower cost index seeing as its a repositioning flight?

A330NZ

Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:13 am

Quoting byronicle6 (Reply 43):
I think there are enough pax in Christchurch and Perth to make the service profitable, especially if it can be done on an A320

Also better connections to ZQN than AKL, and going via CHC would be faster to get to WLG

sunrisevalley

Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:27 am

Quoting A330NZ (Reply 41):
I'd love to see this NZ operating this route, and according to airbus.com, the A320 has the range

Not westbound ! CHC-PER would be about 7 hrs and the best I can see for an A320 is SYD-PER at 4hrs. No A320's are used on BNE-PER at 4.5hrs.

NZ1
Crew

Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:49 am

Our A320's are not far off their limit on AKL - CNS, with a full load. No way they could fly non stop to PER ex AKL or CHC.

NZ1
--
✈ NZ1 / Mike
Head Forum Moderator
www.airliners.net

Zkpilot

Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:41 pm

no time concerns for the ferry flight vs schedule for passenger flight. It will be lighter so can get up to higher cruise altitude quicker and step climb earlier. Higher altitude often does result in a slower cruise however.

alangirvan

Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:45 pm

I have heard that people at CHC Airport believe CHC-PER could support a couple of flights per week. But which aircraft? 763s might be the right aircraft during summer season. A320NEOs or 737MAX might be possibilities in a few years time. The ideal aircraft for CHC-PER would be the 757, but there are no commercial 757s in the region.