ben175

Old QF & AC SYD-HNL Timetables

Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:15 pm

Hi everyone,

Prior to 2004 Qantas operated Sydney-Honolulu as a morning departure from Australia arriving in the islands during the middle of the night, as did AC. Does anyone have the schedules for these two services? I flew Nalanji Dreaming on this route in July 2003. I think it left Sydney around 7:30am IIRC.

Thanks.

kdonohue

RE: Old QF & AC SYD-HNL Timetables

Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:32 pm

I don't have the exact schedule, but both would arrive in Honolulu about 11:00 PM and then depart after midnight. I flew this route on Air Canada about five years ago before they initiated nonstop YVR-SYD service. What was particularly annoying was being forced to clear US customs and immigration, and then security again at midnight, when we weren't staying in Honolulu.

They should have had it like they did in the past when all passengers were held in a secure waiting lounge. Before Air Canada took over this route, Canadian Airlines and Qantas would partner, so Canadian would fly passengers to Honolulu, then Qantas would take them between Honolulu and Sydney. I remember once my wife was flying on a Qantas 747 from SYD, and I was meeting her in Honolulu for a week, and my Canadian Airlines DC-10 touched down at HNL just ahead of the Qantas 747. Back then, all connecting passengers were kept in a secure holding area - none of this nonsense about clearing customs and going back through security.

Ken

Viscount724

Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:29 pm

Quoting kdonohue (Reply 1):
They should have had it like they did in the past when all passengers were held in a secure waiting lounge. Before Air Canada took over this route, Canadian Airlines and Qantas would partner, so Canadian would fly passengers to Honolulu, then Qantas would take them between Honolulu and Sydney. I remember once my wife was flying on a Qantas 747 from SYD, and I was meeting her in Honolulu for a week, and my Canadian Airlines DC-10 touched down at HNL just ahead of the Qantas 747. Back then, all connecting passengers were kept in a secure holding area - none of this nonsense about clearing customs and going back through security.

I believe that "secure holding area" operation at HNL was no longer permitted after 9/11.

jfk777

Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:45 pm

Quoting kdonohue (Reply 1):
Back then, all connecting passengers were kept in a secure holding area - none of this nonsense about clearing customs and going back through security.

One of the silly post 9/11 regulations. This killed Iberia's Miami hub. What is so bad about keeping passengers in a "sterile" holding room ? Air New Zealand and Air France still have flights via LAX to LHR and Tahiti, do all these people from "friendly" countries get put through the customs "meetgrinder " at LAX today ?