Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

LAXDESI
Topic Author

Indian Aviation Thread: Part 95

Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:59 pm

The fact that Mallaya is unable to get a private investor makes me uneasy about LIC buying any stake. The banks, who collectively own 23%, bought their stake by turning some of the debt into equity at a much higher price than the current share price. It is looking more like a backdoor bailout to me with Mallaya using his influence with GOI to put pressure on banks and LIC to buy equity. Link to the blog below:
http://avindia.blogspot.com/2011/11/...nudges-lic-to-buy-10-stake-in.html

Quote:
In an interesting turn of events, the government has decided to ask the Life Insurance Corporation (LIC) to consider picking up 10 per cent stake in the troubled Kingfisher Airlines.

“The government has asked LIC to consider it, but the final decision will be taken by the insurer,” said an official familiar with the development. “If a company like LIC, the largest domestic institutional investor, puts money in Kingfisher Airlines, it will give confidence to the lenders as well,” he added

Going by the present market valuation, it could be quite a buy for LIC, as the airline’s share price has tanked 62 per cent in the current financial year to Rs 24.95($5) a share on Friday from Rs 66.05 on April 1. Going by the present market value, LIC would be required to invest Rs 124 crore($25 million) for 10 per cent stake. An LIC official said the institution was yet to take a call but it was an option.

JoeCanuck

RE: Indian Aviation Thread: Part 95

Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:33 pm

What is the value of Kingfishers assets?

LAXDESI
Topic Author

Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:04 pm

As per recent reporting (Sept. 2011), the book value of Kingfisher equity is around $480 million. Its outstanding long-term loan is about three times its equity. Going by the reported valuation of 10% stake for LIC, market value of its equity should be around $250 million.

However, all of its equity value(book) is driven by $650 million of deferred tax asset on its book. If the company is liquidated, and not bought by an investor who can utilise the deferred tax asset, the company ends up with negative equity(book value terms).

LAXDESI
Topic Author

Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:23 am

A blog speculates about an investor for Kingfisher.
http://avindia.blogspot.com/2011/11/...ngfishers-latest-white-knight.html

Quote:
The latest to "join" the race is Malvinder Singh, promoter of financial services firm, Religare, and healthcare company Fortis. Speculation is rife that Singh is likely to invest in Kingfisher. Religare, owned by Malvinder and his brother Shivinder, already runs an aviation arm, Religare Voyages, a chartered flight operator. Recently, the civil aviation ministry issued a no-objection certificate to Religare Voyages and the company is likely to start operations soon.

JOYA380B747

Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:23 am

Govt may infuse 30,000cr into AI

The report says:
"....panel of secretaries has voted in favour of providing support of Rs 30,000 crore to Air India besides exploring the possibility of disinvesting government stake once it turns profitable."

Another report Govt may consider strategic sale of Air India after turnaround

I have doubts as to how the privatisation of AI, especially after Govt infusing such a lot of money and then selling it, will happen at all considering the imminent resistance against it, especially from within the Ministry.

Fingers crossed!

kiwiandrew

Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:32 am

Quoting JOYA380B747 (Reply 4):
The report says:
"....panel of secretaries has voted in favour of providing support of Rs 30,000 crore to Air India besides exploring the possibility of disinvesting government stake once it turns profitable."
Quoting JOYA380B747 (Reply 4):
I have doubts as to how the privatisation of AI, especially after Govt infusing such a lot of money and then selling it,

Looking at the last four words in the quote you provided I wouldn't think that we need to give too much thought to privatisation any time soon.

LAXDESI
Topic Author

Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:54 pm

DIPP circulates draft Cabinet note on 26% FDI in airlines by foreign carriers. Anyone have an idea how long this approval process will take?
http://www1.economictimes.indiatimes...-carriers/articleshow/10830926.cms

Quote:
With Kingfisher and several other airlines landing into dire straits, the Industry Ministry has moved a draft Cabinet note on allowing 26 per cent FDI by foreign airlines in the domestic carriers.

The DIPP feels anything below 26 per cent would not attract strategic investment from the foreign airlines. Investor with 26 per cent or more holding is considered strategic, as he can have say in the policy decision of a corporate entity under the Indian company laws. An investor with 26 per cent support can block a special resolution in board of directors for policy change.

At present, FDI in domestic passenger airlines is allowed up to 49 per cent by overseas entities, other than the foreign airlines. Non-resident Indians can invest 100 per cent. "Obviously the policy has not worked and it needs changes..." the official said.

LAXDESI
Topic Author

Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:20 pm

It seems that Indigo is not happy with the recent proposal to help struggling carriers by relaxation of ban on foreign airline investment in Indian carriers. It is understandable that Indigo would like to see Kingfisher get weaker and not be helped by a foreign airline.

However, the GOI's proposal to relax ownership rules will be beneficial for the aviation industry and consumers in the long run. Even a well run and profitable airline like Indigo may benefit from this proposal in the future.

http://avindia.blogspot.com/2011/11/...nment-shouldnt-put-premium-on.html

Quote by co-founder of Indigo:
"I feel strongly about it that just because certain constituents of the industry may have issues with their business, the government is prepared to go as far as changing policy. It almost sounds like we are sponsoring premium on inefficiency and I principally struggle with that."

JoeCanuck

Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:15 pm

Quoting LAXDESI (Reply 7):
However, the GOI's proposal to relax ownership rules will be beneficial for the aviation industry and consumers in the long run. Even a well run and profitable airline like Indigo may benefit from this proposal in the future.

I agree. So far, it seems like AI has had the inside track to capital. Now, any airline can negotiate financing deals of their own.

It's not a huge step...but it's a good start.

CRJ900X

Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:35 am

How are the Q400's working out for Spicejet so far? Is the dispatch reliability what the carrier expects? Also, does anyone know if Spicejet will exercise the options on the additional 15 options they posses?

Cheers,
CRJ900X

LAXDESI
Topic Author

Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:55 am

Quoting CRJ900X (Reply 9):
How are the Q400's working out for Spicejet so far? Is the dispatch reliability what the carrier expects? Also, does anyone know if Spicejet will exercise the options on the additional 15 options they posses?

Don't know anything about dispatch reliability, but it has been reported that SpiceJet has gained market share due to induction of Q400s.

Indian domestic market is growing at 18% and SpiceJet's strategy of utilising Q400s to connect 2nd tier cities to metros and other 2nd tier cities through a hub like HYD should pay dividends in the long run.

I don't know if SpiceJet has considered CS300, but given 189 seats in its B738, I wonder if it could use a 145 seat CS300 for some long/thin routes many years down the road.

JOYA380B747

Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:52 am

Quoting CRJ900X (Reply 9):
How are the Q400's working out for Spicejet so far?

Are all the Q400s to be deployed only in and around South India? What about the North and more importantly the East? Till now the only LCC running turboprops on the eastern routes were KF Red but with they changing to full fledged KF, I wonder whether SG will make a go at these North-Eastern airports.
The Q400s seem a good marketing bet, esp for an LCC like SG....   

karan69

Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:42 pm

Quoting LAXDESI (Reply 10):
I don't know if SpiceJet has considered CS300, but given 189 seats in its B738, I wonder if it could use a 145 seat CS300 for some long/thin routes many years down the road.

Would make better sense to go for 150 seater 737-700 given commonality pilot training costs etc, however the modern CS300 may have its advantages but i bet the family benefits of the 73G will far out way the disadvantages to the CS300 maybe you can do one of your famous analysis assuming a fleet size of 10

Karan

LAXDESI
Topic Author

Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:56 pm

Quoting Karan69 (Reply 12):
Would make better sense to go for 150 seater 737-700 given commonality pilot training costs etc, however the modern CS300 may have its advantages but i bet the family benefits of the 73G will far out way the disadvantages to the CS300 maybe you can do one of your famous analysis assuming a fleet size of 10

I agree with you that commonality will be a major factor in favor of B73G(MAX) if SpiceJet were to ever consider 140-150 seat aircraft. But I can also see the possibility of an aggressive BBD offering a great deal to gain traction with a large order from SpiceJet.

B73G(MAX) is expected to weigh 7,000-8,000 lbs.(9-10%) more than CS300 with additional disadvantages of a lower tsfc engine along with inferior aerodynamics. Even with 5 seat advantage to B73G(MAX), I expect CS300 to have a GSM(gallon seat mile) and GTM(gallon ton mile) that is lower by about 13%. That, IMO, is a large enough advantage to offset commonality issue if the fleet size is around 15-20.

An 150 seat aircraft can also be an excellent platform to connect many 2nd tier cities in India with destinations in ME(DXB), SE(SIN,BKK) and NE(HKG) Asia.

I have not done the analysis, but I wouldn't be surprised if CS300 has competitive numbers against the much larger B738(MAX) accounting for its lower GSM and weight related airport charges.

freqflyer

Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:54 pm

Quoting JOYA380B747 (Reply 11):
Are all the Q400s to be deployed only in and around South India? What about the North and more importantly the East?

SG was supposed to start in the West - intra Gujarat flights - by Dec 9, but there seems to be no kind of publicity on that front , so it seems to be delayed/cancelled. Maybe BLR will get the Q400s before AMD.

777way

Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:58 am

DEL rumored to be one of the destinations Alitalia may return to next year in related thread.

HAWK21M

Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:39 am

G-BMRJ is BLR Based for Three Months......

LAXDESI
Topic Author

Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:46 pm

PM promises help to embattled private airlines, remains silent on direct investments by foreign carriers. It doesn't seem that PM is inclined to fast track foreign airline investment proposal, so Mallaya and others would have to look to local investors or non-airline foreign investors for now.
Link to the blog:
http://avindia.blogspot.com/2011/11/...ses-help-to-embattled-private.html

Quote:
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh promised to help the bosses of India's embattled private airlines but stopped short of commenting on a key demand of at least three of them - permission for investments by foreign airlines. The PM said the matter was under consideration, said an official who attended the meeting on Saturday.

The half-an-hour meeting began at 10:45 am at Singh's residence, 7 Race Course Road, and was attended by IndiGo promoter Rahul Bhatia and president Aditya Ghosh, Jet Chairman Naresh Goyal, Kingfisher Airlines CEO Sanjay Aggarwal, SpiceJet CEO Neil Mills, GoAir promoter Jeh Wadia and government officials.

LAXDESI
Topic Author

Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:10 am

Ajit Singh likely to get civil aviation portfolio. Does anyone have a feel for his worldview on economic policy?
http://avindia.blogspot.com/2011/11/...-likely-to-get-civil-aviation.html

Quote:
The Congress party and the Rashtriya Lok Dal (RLD) are likely to soon announce a pre-poll alliance, an arrangement that could see RLD chief Ajit Singh getting the civil aviation portfolio, two Congress leaders told ET on the condition of anonymity. A formal announcement could be made in the next couple of weeks, they said.

Singh, whose party is influential in Western UP, is believed to have asked for a significant Cabinet portfolio for himself and has indicated a preference for either commerce and industry, food and civil supplies or civil aviation, the leaders quoted earlier said.

brahmin

Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:35 am

How about planning a get together for the 100th Part? I think that we have earned it.

himmat01

Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:07 am

Ajit Singh like his father Choudhary Charan Singh is an "Aaya Ram Gaaya Ram" (In X party today, in Y party tomorrow) type.

His appointment as Civil Aviation ministry is not going to be of any benefit to the industry. The Congress is eying the next Assembly elections in UP. His likely appointment as the minister is just a quid pro quo to buy his support in UP.

karan69

Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:33 pm

Quoting LAXDESI (Reply 13):
I expect CS300 to have a GSM(gallon seat mile) and GTM(gallon ton mile) that is lower by about 13%. That, IMO, is a large enough advantage to offset commonality issue if the fleet size is around 15-20.

An 150 seat aircraft can also be an excellent platform to connect many 2nd tier cities in India with destinations in ME(DXB), SE(SIN,BKK) and NE(HKG) Asia.

No arguments on the fact that SJ does require a 150 seater but unless the cs300 offers a lot more in commanility and comes at a sweet deal like the q400s i dont see SJ going for them, but as of both aircraft are far from first flight

With regards to tier 2 city flights to GCC and SE i dont believe that one can make a profitable operation out of that unless you are on bigger aircrafts as these are very low yield markets .however they might make sense from major cities just like AI and IT now operate 319s and 320s to Singapore from BOM and in some cases larger capacity aircraft from tier 2 cities

Quoting LAXDESI (Reply 13):
have not done the analysis, but I wouldn't be surprised if CS300 has competitive numbers against the much larger B738(MAX) accounting for its lower GSM and weight related airport charges

A mere 4 tonne weight difference does not give it any landing benefits unless the entire airport charging structure changes as both have MTOW in excess of 50 tonnes

Karan

HAWK21M

Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:33 am

Quoting LAXDESI (Reply 18):

Make an Aviator the MoCA...........

AirIndia

Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:47 am

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 22):
Make an Aviator the MoCA...........

next elections if NDA come to power (very unilikey) then Rudy stands a chance...........

any aviators in the UPA.........

cricket

Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:49 am

Quoting himmat01 (Reply 20):
His appointment as Civil Aviation ministry is not going to be of any benefit to the industry. The Congress is eying the next Assembly elections in UP. His likely appointment as the minister is just a quid pro quo to buy his support in UP.

Unlikely, the story writer is a very 'hit-miss' reporter IMHO

Quoting AirIndia (Reply 23):
any aviators in the UPA.........

Rahul gandhi and Sachin Pilot's fathers were for whatever that is worth

----

Vayalar Ravi's opposition to FDI in retail and his general attitude lately makes me wonder whether airline FDI will be allowed, in teh current environment FDI seems to have become a very dirty word

cricket

Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:34 am

Recently while landing at MAA I noticed six IT ATR-72's and a A319/320 (couldn't make out clearly) on the remote ramp. I also noticed a very forlorn looking Paramount Embraer E-190 still lying around. Any idea what will happen to these birds?

anshuk

Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:36 pm

Quoting Cricket (Reply 24):
Rahul gandhi and Sachin Pilot's fathers were for whatever that is worth

Rajiv Gandhi was a pilot with Indian Airlines before being forced to jump into politics! Even on the day of his assassination, he himself piloted the plane to Sripenumbedur!

Quoting Cricket (Reply 24):
Vayalar Ravi's opposition to FDI in retail and his general attitude lately makes me wonder whether airline FDI will be allowed, in teh current environment FDI seems to have become a very dirty word

Vayalar Ravi just seems like trouble for the already troubled industry. I just wish portfolio's such as this were reserved for technocrats..

LAXDESI
Topic Author

Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:13 pm

Finance Ministry supports 26% FDI in aviation. Will the GOI have the inclination to move forward given the opposition to FDI decision for retail sector.
http://avindia.blogspot.com/2011/12/...e-ministry-supports-26-fdi-in.html

Quote:
Amidst differences within the industry, the Finance Ministry has lent its support to the Department of Industrial Policy and Promotions (DIPP) on allowing foreign airlines to pick up up to 26 per cent equity in domestic airlines. Once various ministries give their views, this proposal will be sent to the Cabinet for final decision.

The 26 per cent limit is considered to be a better option for any foreign investor as it allows veto rights in board decisions. The 24 per cent limit makes an investor an ordinary shareholder without veto powers on the board of the airline.

LAXDESI
Topic Author

Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:06 pm

Kingfisher Airlines in talks with local investor: Vijay Mallya. It is hard to imagine a local investor who would take less than 26% stake which under Indian company rules provides a veto power over board decision.
http://avindia.blogspot.com/2011/12/...-airlines-in-talks-with-local.html

Quote:
Kingfisher Airlines is still in talks with a potential local investor to raise funds, its chairman said Friday, even as woes mounted for the cash strapped carrier with a major airport set to stop facilities on credit.

"That's going on," Vijay Mallya said on Friday in televised comments, in response to a query on whether he was talking to a local investor. "I know that you are in a hurry to fix a timeline for it, but things do take time, particularly negotiations," he told reporters in New Delhi after a meeting with India's finance minister.

LAXDESI
Topic Author

Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:36 am

Mallya's 'associate' white knight for Kingfisher. It is also being reported that GOI is unlikely to approve 26% foreign airline stake in Indian carriers given the political fall out from its decision on opening up retail sector to foreign investment.

http://avindia.blogspot.com/2011/12/...as-associate-white-knight-for.html

Quote:
Vijay Mallya recently said he would tide over the crisis in Kingfisher Airlines with the help of some associates for whom he created wealth in the past.

Though the UB Group chairman didn’t name anybody, some of these associates could be the owners of Balaji Distilleries, whose breweries and distilleries were acquired by UB Group companies — United Spirits and United Breweries — during the last financial year. These associates during the past few months have invested a little over Rs 700 crore as part of the promoters’ equity infusion into Kingfisher Airlines and there are indications they may support the airline further.

pnd100

Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:30 pm

Good Morning / Afternoon / Evening, does anyone here know the state of construction at CCU & MAA. I read somewhere recently that there have been some delays. When I was last there in March both projects looked to be on track for completion by years' end. What happened in the interim?

777way

Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:52 pm

Air China launch BOM as Shanghai–Chengdu–Mumbai from 2 May, 4 weekly A319.

Gr8Circle

Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:38 pm

Quoting LAXDESI (Reply 27):
Finance Ministry supports 26% FDI in aviation. Will the GOI have the inclination to move forward given the opposition to FDI decision for retail sector.
Quoting LAXDESI (Reply 29):
It is also being reported that GOI is unlikely to approve 26% foreign airline stake in Indian carriers given the political fall out from its decision on opening up retail sector to foreign investment.

Hard to say how politicians think, but the retail sector FDI is an issue that could be highly politicised by the opposition and taken to the streets as "look how we're fighting for the poor farmers and shop owners" sort of thing......and that's what they ended up doing.....

When it comes to civil aviation, I doubt if that's an issue that would really stir the passions of the common man.....given the state of affairs at AI, it may be the most prudent thing to do (opening up the FDI)......but the major opposition would come from the AI/IC unions, who see any change as a threat to their existence.....then local political parties could pick up the cause and make a mess of it as usual......I pity the GoI sometimes - do it and you're screwed, don't do it and you're still screwed!

Nimish

Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:51 am

Quoting 777way (Reply 31):

Hmm - just like their BLR route - same stop, same a/c type!

cricket

Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:03 am

Quoting Nimish (Reply 33):
Quoting 777way (Reply 31):

Hmm - just like their BLR route - same stop, same a/c type!

I'm surprised that Air China didn't start a non-stop between either Beijing/Shanghai and Mumbai, the market is there - just see any SQ or CX flight

skipness1E

Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:44 pm

Have Air India parked up one of their B777-200LRs? VT-ALA hasn't been seen on ACARS for months.

pnd100

Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:53 pm

Quoting pnd100 (Reply 30):
Good Morning / Afternoon / Evening, does anyone here know the state of construction at CCU & MAA. I read somewhere recently that there have been some delays. When I was last there in March both projects looked to be on track for completion by years' end. What happened in the interim?

Hey guys, does anyone have any updates?

LAXDESI
Topic Author

Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:57 am

Ajit Singh lands civil aviation berth.
http://avindia.blogspot.com/2011/12/...gh-lands-civil-aviation-berth.html

Quote:
Ajit Singh is set to become a Cabinet minister — for a fourth time, and now at 72. The Rashtriya Lok
Dal (RLD) chief from Western Uttar Pradesh will get the civil aviation portfolio later this week when he will be sworn in.

The Meerut-born Jat leader, an engineer-turned-politician, has previously been a minister for industry, food and agriculture — albeit all under different governments: National Front, Congress and the BJP.

AirIndia

Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:27 am

Yet another MoCA...... a technocrat farmer......... lets see what new 'seeds will he sow' for the aviation industry in India....

cricket

Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:32 am

Quoting pnd100 (Reply 36):

Hey guys, does anyone have any updates?

I flew into MAA recently and work seemed going apace - I think the Chennai Metro is being planned with an Airport connection from the ground up. No work evident towards a second runway at Chennai. New terminal seems like a year off at the earliest, if a Delhi-like pace is followed

pnd100

Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:39 pm

Quoting Cricket (Reply 39):
I flew into MAA recently and work seemed going apace - I think the Chennai Metro is being planned with an Airport connection from the ground up. No work evident towards a second runway at Chennai. New terminal seems like a year off at the earliest, if a Delhi-like pace is followed

Thanks for the info Cricket! That seems to be almost the same level of construction that was evident in March. At that time the terminal also seemed about a year away. That's unfortunate. What about CCU? I know construction can be delayed anywhere but in a country where labour is plentiful & weather conditions are generally favourable, what causes these massive delays? Clearly the CWG 2010 showed us that India can roll up sleeves & put things together quickly when needed

Gr8Circle

Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:19 pm

Quoting pnd100 (Reply 40):
I know construction can be delayed anywhere but in a country where labour is plentiful & weather conditions are generally favourable, what causes these massive delays? Clearly the CWG 2010 showed us that India can roll up sleeves & put things together quickly when needed

Haha....weather and labor has nothing much to do with it.....there are loooooots of other factors in India that can slow down such work......most projects run wayyyy behuind schedule, unless there's political ego involved (such as for the CWG)......I can list several such projects....

pnd100

Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:44 pm

Quoting gr8circle (Reply 41):
Haha....weather and labor has nothing much to do with it.....there are loooooots of other factors in India that can slow down such work......most projects run wayyyy behuind schedule, unless there's political ego involved (such as for the CWG)......I can list several such projects....

LOL, ok. So you are saying that there is a lack of political will to make these happen? That's too bad.  

CCU & MAA are both behind the curve when it comes to airports in India. CCU's chances of becoming an international destination are probably gone but MAA still has a chance to be a tourist & business gateway. It strikes me as odd that the TN State or Union government there would not see the airport development as vital to the economy's success. As the airport is owned by the AAI, the construction oversight must be in the central government's hands right?

Gr8Circle

Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:29 am

Quoting pnd100 (Reply 42):
LOL, ok. So you are saying that there is a lack of political will to make these happen? That's too bad.

CCU & MAA are both behind the curve when it comes to airports in India. CCU's chances of becoming an international destination are probably gone but MAA still has a chance to be a tourist & business gateway. It strikes me as odd that the TN State or Union government there would not see the airport development as vital to the economy's success. As the airport is owned by the AAI, the construction oversight must be in the central government's hands right?

Well, it's not always the govt. projects that get stuck....even private sector projects just go on and on.....take the Versova - Ghatkopar light rail in Mumbai, being lead by the Reliance group........already two years behind schedule, although the local municipality has literally closed some key roads on the route to enable construction.....many more such projects can be listed....as you point out, unless the State govt. realises the importance of the airport to the economy, results will not be seen.....if they're too busy spending funds to build their vote banks elsewhere in the state, airport projects will always lag behind schedules....maybe I'm making it sound too simplistic, but that's sort of how it works.....

sankaps

Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:55 pm

I flew through Calcutta airport last week, and took these photos. Air India and the Calcutta airport authorities ought to be ashamed of themselves! No point getting shiny new airplanes and building new terminals if we can't get the basics right!

[

FILE:72806,full,phpcRHfhN.jpeg]

An amidst this filth, like an oasis, the check in counter of GMG Airlines, a small Bangladesh-based airline. Shame on Air India!

Can Air India and the AAI be shamed into doing something about this???

sankaps

Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:06 pm

And IT ran into problems well before the recent meltdown... this is a picture of a "stored" IT A320 (ex-Deccan) I took in DEL back in April this year!

IT A320 parked at DEL, looks visibly damaged.

JOYA380B747

Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:34 am

Quoting sankaps (Reply 44):
Air India and the Calcutta airport authorities ought to be ashamed of themselves! No point getting shiny new airplanes and building new terminals if we can't get the basics right!

Sorry, but more goons than airport officials run CCU, looting and bribing their way through the administration.

In short, AI is a shame to Indian airlines and CCU is a shame to Indian airports.

In fact the thought the above pictures could have been worse 

cricket

Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:06 am

A new Civil Aviation Minister - who probably desperate to make money will sell away further rights to foreign carriers, I expect to see A380's in droves next year in DEL at least

LAXDESI
Topic Author

Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:31 pm

Quoting Cricket (Reply 47):
A new Civil Aviation Minister - who probably desperate to make money will sell away further rights to foreign carriers, I expect to see A380's in droves next year in DEL at least

I expect the same. As much as I dislike corruption, the end result for the flying public is more choice and perhaps lower prices. I wish the new minister would also be willing to assign some of the unutilized route rights that AI is holding on to Indian private carriers.

cricket

Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:52 am

Quoting LAXDESI (Reply 48):
I wish the new minister would also be willing to assign some of the unutilized route rights that AI is holding on to Indian private carriers.

I have a feeling that the previous minister was holding back assignments particularly to Indigo who have a A320 join their fleet every month, they want to start international from MAA, CCU and BLR as well as add a few mid-east and south-east asia services from DEL and BOM. Will not be surprised if BKK goes double-daily from both these cities as IT has effectively withdrawn from this sector.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos