Topic Author

15 Years Since Ethiopian Airlines 961 Hijacking

Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:32 pm

Hi all,

I just thought I'd bring to your attention that it is 15 years to the day since the hijacking and subsequent ditching of Ethiopian Airlines Flight 961. This is the narrative from the Aviation Safety Network:

Flight ET961 had taken off from Addis Ababa for a flight to Abidjan via Nairobi, Brazzaville and Lagos. Shortly after entering Kenyan airspace 3 men seized the aircraft and demanded to be flown to Australia.
Approaching the Comores the aircraft began to run out of fuel. The pilot attempted to carry out a controlled ditching in the shallow, sheltered waters 500m off Le Galawa Beach. The left engine and wingtip struck the water, causing the aircraft to break up and crash.

A more wordy description of the events on the flight are to be found here:

Many incarnations of the video footage are available on Youtube, here is one such example:

RIP to the innocent victims of this horrific incident and also due credit to the Captain who's actions certainly helped to curtail the loss of life both on board and on the ground at the Le Galawa resort.

RE: 15 Years Since Ethiopian Airlines 961 Hijacking

Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:58 pm

RIP indeed.

If there was a "like" button, i'd be all over it.

RE: 15 Years Since Ethiopian Airlines 961 Hijacking

Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:56 am

Thanks for starting this thread of remembrance EGGD. Indeed, this date is seared in my memory and that of many others who have lost loved ones on ET961. RIP to all who unnecessarily perished on that tragic day as we also recognize those who have acted heroically to save lives.