avek00
Topic Author

UA/CO Receives Single Operating Certificate

Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:44 pm

On 11/27, UA and CO will receive a Single Operating Certificate. The Continental callsign disappears from 6AM Eastern Time on Sunday.
Live life to the fullest.

C010T3

Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:48 pm

Wow! And we get to know that barely 12 hours before???

DualQual

Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:51 pm

It's the 30th. Not the 27th.
There's no known cure for stupid

EA CO AS

Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:57 pm

Quoting avek00 (Thread starter):
On 11/27, UA and CO will receive a Single Operating Certificate. The Continental callsign disappears

And so does the United certificate - the surviving one is CO's.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

drerx7

Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:38 pm

Does anyone have the aircraft breakdown of the crossfleeting about to occur? Right now for April they are dummy schedules for 738 and 319s. I'm very curious to see if the hubs will have a variety of birds and if they will migrate from their existing gates. For example - will we see UA migrate to other parts of IAH other than their typical C north positions.
Third Coast born, means I'm Texas raised

FlyHossD

Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:06 am

Quoting avek00 (Thread starter):
On 11/27, UA and CO will receive a Single Operating Certificate. The Continental callsign disappears from 6AM Eastern Time on Sunday.

Where did you hear that?

Quoting DualQual (Reply 2):
It's the 30th. Not the 27th.

My statements do not represent my former employer or my current employer and are my opinions only.

rj777

Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:18 am

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 3):

OK..... I'm confused.... if the airline is to be called UNITED, why would the UNITED certificate be the one to disappear?

nws2002

Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:28 am

Quoting rj777 (Reply 6):
OK..... I'm confused.... if the airline is to be called UNITED, why would the UNITED certificate be the one to disappear?

Because the majority of the flight operation policies remaining are on the PMCO side of the house. It was easier to tweak the PMCO procedures and add the aircraft they needed instead of totally reworking the PMUA ones. At the end of the day the certificate will be called United, but it is the original PMCO certificate.

gigneil

Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:19 am

Which kinda useless to point out, since at that same time all reference to the word "Continental" will be removed.

NS

mcdu

Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:26 am

Quoting rj777 (Reply 6):

Why? CO had approval for some approaches that the UA certificate did not have: ie RNAV approaches. Easier to take the CO certificate and apply it across the board versus UA petitioning the FAA with a plan on RNAV.

gigneil

Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:28 am

It makes sense to point out also that the legacy United repair station certificate is the one that will survive.

NS

tpaewr

Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:55 am

Quoting rj777 (Reply 6):

The truth is the bulk of the "New UA" will be the old CO with a rebranding. The FAA cert, the SHARES at the ATO, EZR in res, the "new" Purser program is CO's ISM relabled. The pilot will follow CO procedures, as will the ATO. Mileage Plus is really OnePass hosted in IMS, with all the old MP numbered converted to CO format. DTW TBM will close and be replaced by IAH. Even something like the system that tracks clubroom memberships will be the old P-club system rebranded "United Club" Of course, we are all eagerly looking forward to UA F+C cabin cartering being upgraded to CO standards (it is coming)

The one big exception is MX, UA was better on that side and we will retain their cert.

If you love or hate all this depends on ones POV. But that is what is happening. I took UA803 to NRT a week or so ago. I was in 1A, not yet knowing who I was, just that I replying to that I normally went to thru EWR, my F/A retorted. "I know the plane says United on the side, but we are CO now" as he gave me my Crown on the rocks, which he noted was also from CO. He was funny as hell, but got much more reserved when I told him I was CO. OTH the CO MX from HOU I meet in MNL, was very very unhappy about his life. So it cuts both ways

[Edited 2011-11-26 18:57:25]

dlphoenix

Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:03 am

What is the timeline for workforce integration (in particular pilots)?
The US pilots have shown us that an SOC is meaningless if the pilot groups refuse to cooperate.

DLP

mcdu

Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:13 am

Quoting dlphoenix (Reply 12):
What is the timeline for workforce integration (in particular pilots)?

Both the UA and CO ALPA negotiators are engaged in joint meetings with UA. Once a JOINT agreement is reached a arbitrated seniority list will be determined and implemented. The time frame is dependent on the contract first and seniority list second. As a UA pilot I hope this process is completed very soon.

rising

Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:24 am

Continental Airlines, Inc., the corporation itself, is scheduled to be dissolved also. Will that occur tomorrow or at a separate date? Also, United Continental Holdings, Inc. was meant to be a temporary name and the rumor was it was going to back to UAL Corporation.

Anyone more information on that or a time frame? Thanks!
If it doesn't make sense, it's because it's not true.

point2point

Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:27 am

I though it was supposed to happen on 11/11/11?

Maybe they should push it to 12/12/12?

Last chance this century to get a trifecta like this everyone.

gizmonc

Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:49 am

This was posted from flightinfo.com under UAL SOC 11-30-2011:
From the format it looks like an internal message to UA/CO pilots

Date: November 25, 2011
Expires: December 31, 2011
File #: I – 11 – 212
Subject: Single Call Sign Migration
To: All B756 Pilots
On the last day of November, Continental Flight 86 will arrive in Newark from Shanghai. When
the crew accepts their clearance to the gate, it will mark the last time we utter “Continental” on
our radios. While we will experience mixed emotions with the retirement of our proud call sign,
our brand and our heritage lives on.
The Air Carrier Certificate employed by legacy United Airlines (UALA011A) will cease to
operate at 0600 Central time (1200Z) on 11/30/11. All legacy Continental and legacy United
flights will operate using the certificate currently employed by Continental (CALA014A). Both
legacy airlines will file flight plans and operate with “United” flight numbers.

DC8FanJet

Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:54 am

Not entirely accurate, but if you wish. The CO certificate was used as the basis for the New UNITED for
various reasons, mostly because it is much newer and uses simpler more standard language. Thus it was
easier to adapt.

Jetmarc

Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:06 am

Does anyone have an idea what integration is looking like as far as crewing aircraft for UA/CO... do the signs point towards a US/HP merger (only working their own planes) or NW/DL where FAs can work each others planes, but not mixed NW/DL FAs (
"Sucka, I'm gonna send you out on Knuckle Airlines. Fist Class!!" ~ Mr. T

blueflyer

Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:52 am

Stupid question of detail: does it mean that at 1200Z on 11/30/11, every flight anywhere in the world in any phase of flight will use United as call sign, or does it mean that flight plans filed after that time will all say United, but ongoing flights will continue to be operated under whichever call sign they started?

I was supposed to fly PMCO that day, and I switched to PMUA just yesterday. Maybe I should fly the old CO one last time and switch again.
Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has no clothes.

daron4000

Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:41 am

Quoting tpaewr (Reply 11):
The truth is the bulk of the "New UA" will be the old CO with a rebranding. The FAA cert, the SHARES at the ATO, EZR in res, the "new" Purser program is CO's ISM relabled. The pilot will follow CO procedures, as will the ATO. Mileage Plus is really OnePass hosted in IMS, with all the old MP numbered converted to CO format. DTW TBM will close and be replaced by IAH. Even something like the system that tracks clubroom memberships will be the old P-club system rebranded "United Club" Of course, we are all eagerly looking forward to UA F+C cabin cartering being upgraded to CO standards (it is coming)

Interesting information that I haven't read before. What are the primary differences between the purser and ISM programs as they stand now? Also what is TBM? I hope DTWRR stays put because the Global Services agents are a true asset to the company's workforce.

tpaewr

Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:27 am

Quoting DC8FanJet (Reply 17):
Not entirely accurate, but if you wish. The CO certificate was used as the basis for the New UNITED for
various reasons, mostly because it is much newer and uses simpler more standard language. Thus it was
easier to adapt.

I miss how it was not 100% accurate? Renamed whatever, it is still the PMCO cert, no? A rose by any other name...

RE: DTWRR, it isn't closing but all ticketing will be done in IAH, two reasons. Mostly due to SHARES being the surviving program. Secondly UA supports very little e certs DTW TBM processes all of UA's old-school paper certs, where as CO has almost nothing left that is still paper. So the logical move to the procede with an expanded TBM in Houston.

RE: UCH being renamed UAL. I also hear often the rumor that in 1 year Jeff will leave and Tilton will return as CEO .This is often driven by those pro-union folks preching that CO culture will fade away and the dark days at UA are sure to return. They just ignore the fact that the contract of each man say the reverse. Tilton leaves and Jeff becomes both Chairman *and* CEO. 2 yr after the legal merger.

[Edited 2011-11-27 03:28:19]

Chicagoflight

Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:25 pm

COEWRNJ

Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:54 pm

How does this translate to the customer? For example, I will be flying CO1226 on Friday from EWR-PHX. When I show up to the airport on Friday will it now be announced as UA1226 with UA bag tags and UA boarding passes?

United1

Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:54 pm

The truth is the bulk of the "New UA" will be the old CO with a rebranding

Not really you are over simplifying what has occurred and picking and choosing what parts to present. This is very much a merger of the best of both companies....and there is quite a bit of PMUA remaining.

Quoting tpaewr (Reply 21):
A rose by any other name...

Is still United Air Lines Inc.  
Secondly UA supports very little e certs DTW TBM processes all of UA's old-school paper certs, where as CO has almost nothing left that is still paper.

Care to expand on that a bit as far as I know UA migrated off paper quite a while ago....I'm sure they still issue it for vouchers and such but all ticketing/upgrades is electronic.
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!

ual747den

Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:33 pm

You are really trying hard to see things the way you want to but in reality you are wrong. We could go program by program but it's clear that you are not going to listen to reason so I'll just leave it.

Quoting tpaewr (Reply 25):
I don't wanna be a dick, but I am in Asia converting UA offices to the CO system. UA is a backward train wreck. I'd never say that IRL, but it is the truth and I spend everyday dancing arounf the fact. If you don't know that you are: A) a UA fan boy B) a blind UA employee. We have literally had people CRY tears of joy when they were given the system CO uses!!! Everything they have is broken and/or old. UA stopped in the late 90s. I get why, but it still is the facts. Even if you hate it.

Again more of the same from you. I am just imagining you now in an office showing someone the new program and that person crying tears of job thanking you over and over, telling you that you have changed their life forever!!!!!!

Do you really view what you are doing that way?
/// UNITED AIRLINES

ramprat74

Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:53 pm

I hope the IAM will be filing an Injunction against the company on Tuesday morning. The collective bargaining agreement between the IAM and United Air Lines states all United Air Lines flights in and out of the IAM Ramp stations shall be worked by United IAM workers. The IAH and EWR flights out of PDX are worked by a third party vendor. The same can be said at other IAM Ramp stations.

[Edited 2011-11-27 10:54:27]

gigneil

Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:23 pm

That's hardly an issue for which an injunction would be granted.

NS

kl911

Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:28 pm

Good, Finally we can just all use UA instead of many people here using UAPM COPM, UA/CO etc etc.

Good to see the United brand surviving the merger chaos.

B777UA

Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:31 pm

when the single operating certificate starts will the Continental web site be gone then also?

STT757

Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:34 pm

Quoting B777UA (Reply 29):
when the single operating certificate starts will the Continental web site be gone then also?

No, there's an article further up the thread that explains the complicated integration of their reservation/websites.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

tpaewr

Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:46 pm

Quoting UAL747DEN (Reply 25):
You are really trying hard to see things the way you want to but in reality you are wrong. We could go program by program but it's clear that you are not going to listen to reason so I'll just leave it.

I'll be frank. I am in Asia and will be here for the rest of the year converting UA over to CO systems. I spend 40+ hour a week working on this.

Which one of those PMUA systems is staying? You care to tell me?

MX will remain mostly UA, but I can assure you ATO/Res/TBM will be 100% PMCO. You can deny it all day long but it is the facts.

Some of this (pilot issues) is even in the general media

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2011/09/...mean-dangerous-procedural-changes/

ExL10Mktg

Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:26 pm

Quoting ramprat74 (Reply 26):

I hope the IAM will be filing an Injunction against the company on Tuesday morning. The collective bargaining agreement between the IAM and United Air Lines states all United Air Lines flights in and out of the IAM Ramp stations shall be worked by United IAM workers. The IAH and EWR flights out of PDX are worked by a third party vendor. The same can be said at other IAM Ramp stations.

In the highly unlikely event that no one in management sorting out integration issues took note of that situation or did and elected to do nothing about it, the first step the union would take would be to file a grievance, not go to court.

This sounds like a contractual issue between CO and it's third party handlers at small stations. As long as there is / was a CO they would be required to honor their contracts (and indeed while UA at PDX might have been a higher cost third party bidder, it would no doubt be much cheaper today to do it "in house" than with a third party. With only a handful of flights at big UA station, the CO flights can probably be absorbed without any increase in workforce and they can eliminate the third party handling cost entirely.) My guess is when the SOC comes online and the CO name goes away, so do those third party agreements at IAM ramp stations.

sulley

Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:50 pm

Quoting tpaewr (Reply 31):

I'll be frank. I am in Asia and will be here for the rest of the year converting UA over to CO systems. I spend 40+ hour a week working on this.

MX will remain mostly UA, but I can assure you ATO/Res/TBM will be 100% PMCO. You can deny it all day long but it is the facts.

Some of this (pilot issues) is even in the general media

Are you working with RES? I've heard PMUA agents are absolutely thrilled with EZR.
In thrust we trust!

gigneil

Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:01 pm

I'm gonna assume that's sarcasm, since what I've heard is its like stepping back into the 70s.

NS

tpaewr

Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:41 pm

Quoting Sulley (Reply 33):
Are you working with RES? I've heard PMUA agents are absolutely thrilled with EZR.

You are 100% correct!

Quoting gigneil (Reply 34):
I'm gonna assume that's sarcasm, since what I've heard is its like stepping back into the 70s.

No, you are confused with those who (ATO) will work in native SHARES for approx 9-12mos, pending the lauch of a new web based system that CO has been working toward for the past few years, this will replace all the current CO systems in both res and ATO in 2012.

For UA ATO there is a brief time from PSS to the new program (CCP) when they will have to learn native, due to FastAir was a dead program created in the 90s by a company that no longer exsits. UA has the rights to it, and has patched it along it couldn't be made to with SHARES. It was a dead program with no future.

luckyone

Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:16 am

Isn't the CO certificate technically the surviving Texas International certificate? The "real" CO certificate was retired in the 80's was it not?

UAL777UK

Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:13 am

my F/A retorted. "I know the plane says United on the side, but we are CO now" as he gave me my Crown on the rocks, which he noted was also from CO. He was funny as hell, but got much more reserved when I told him I was CO.

Oh pleeeease! If you were sat in 1A are you suggesting the FA did not have any idea you were, dod nopt look at the manifest?

So?

A rose by any other name...

So?

You really need to get over it and move on, most people are. The fact is very shortly CO will be history. A great airline disappears but a greater airline is now here and its called United, made up a numerous good points from both airlines.

tpaewr

Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:56 pm

Quoting ual777uk (Reply 37):
Oh pleeeease! If you were sat in 1A are you suggesting the FA did not have any idea you were, dod nopt look at the manifest?

Perhaps he was lying? How should I know. I took him at his word

So?

That was a reply to someone else, or do you have dupe handles here?

You really need to get over it and move on, most people are. The fact is very shortly CO will be history. A great airline disappears but a greater airline is now here and its called United, made up a numerous good points from both airlines

Did I say that it wasn't? I believe I said the new UA will be mostly the old CO with a new name. I am geting lots of derision and dismissivness. Look at post 11, did I say anything not accurate?

sulley

Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:18 pm

Quoting gigneil (Reply 34):

NS

tpaewr answered for me   EZR is the GUI RES agents currently use -- I know several PMUA agents that work for DTWRR and they all love the program.

Too bad ATO has to utilize native SHARES until their GUI is released.
In thrust we trust!

tommy767

Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:25 pm

I also kind of wonder what it will mean after SOC is achieved. How much longer will the CO name be out there?

I know the plane says United on the side, but we are CO now" as he gave me my Crown on the rocks, which he noted was also from CO. He was funny as hell, but got much more reserved when I told him I was CO. OTH the CO MX from HOU I meet in MNL, was very very unhappy about his life. So it cuts both ways

Well he's been misinformed because the combined airline will be called UNITED with a lot of blood from PMUA that will stay. That's just his opinion.

This is the kind of crap that really needs to be looked at within the new UA. Supposedly they are taking a CO stance on employee/labor relations but it seems like this is all kind of PR fluff in the end. I feel like NW employees got over the fact that they were being taken over by Delta whereas there is this unresolved sentiment between UA and CO employees.
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

tpaewr

Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:25 pm

Quoting Sulley (Reply 39):
Too bad ATO has to utilize native SHARES until their GUI is released.

Effort was put into making FastAir work with SHARES, to make this smoother, but it just wouldn't work. So it will be a not-so-fun year or so, when the UA ATO has to "go native". But the new program "CCP" as it is currently named should be cutting edge and it just around the corner. CO has been working on it for a few years now, it is *almost* ready.

MadameConcorde

Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:51 pm

I was in 1A, not yet knowing who I was, just that I replying to that I normally went to thru EWR, my F/A retorted. "I know the plane says United on the side, but we are CO now"
I'll be frank. I am in Asia and will be here for the rest of the year converting UA over to CO systems.

Sounds like you are non-rev'ing in International F?

I thought this wasn't allowed.
Now I understand why some of us with SWUs don't get our upgrades.

Employee Class as they call it.

Wow!
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

tpaewr

Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 42):

Employee Class as they call

No ma'am. I was flying for Biz. I was booked in C and upgraded at the gate.

I haven't NRSA'd on UA since Aug 2001.

sulley

Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:22 pm

This is also FlyerTalk Myth™ #4,753,348.

NRSA *do not* go ahead of revenue pax, SWU's, etc.
In thrust we trust!

gigneil

Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:23 pm

Why would you think that? Of course we can non-rev in international F.

NS

tpaewr

Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:13 pm

Quoting Sulley (Reply 44):

do we have a "like" button? LOL

CALTECH

Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:49 pm

Quoting gigneil (Reply 10):
It makes sense to point out also that the legacy United repair station certificate is the one that will survive.

Yes it will, along with most of CO's MX computer programs.Thank the powers that be. Of course the LegacyUnited Techs will have to learn a new system, that will time to get used to.

The one big exception is MX, UA was better on that side and we will retain their cert.

Yes it was, except for their computer and electronic logbooks. We found out about LegacyUnited's paperless/electronic logbook procedures and I thought, hey, this might be allright. Geez, paperless/electronic sure generates a heck of a lot more paper than the Legacy Continental logbook procedures.That teletype at United Ops and throughout the MCOMX station just kept spitting out alerts, MX actions,, MX procedure and the Airworthiness Signoff. Paper everywhere. I still kinda like our Legacy Continental procedure, much easier, one logpage and a copy, type it in the computer, make some phone and radio calls to MX Control/ OPS and we be done.

Same with looking up parts or procedures. The LegUAL way was very time consuming, the references are there but one has to go to different areas to find text or drawings. The LegCAL EDOCS system, it is all right there, along with effectivity and availability.

Quoting point2point (Reply 15):
I though it was supposed to happen on 11/11/11?

FAA said no, we weren't far enough along with merging.

Quoting blueflyer (Reply 19):
Stupid question of detail: does it mean that at 1200Z on 11/30/11, every flight anywhere in the world in any phase of flight will use United as call sign,

Probably more like 2400 Hrs local time.

I miss how it was not 100% accurate? Renamed whatever, it is still the PMCO cert, no? A rose by any other name...

The MX programs look to be all LegacyContinental, the procedures are being integrated. Both sides did some things better than the other MX wise. What ends up remaining will be the new UNITED AIRLINES MX, with many tweaks and adjustments for years to come.

Quoting Sulley (Reply 44):

NRSA *do not* go ahead of revenue pax, SWU's, etc.

It has been rough getting a upgrade anymore, though overwing exit and Economy+ works too. All revenue upgrades go before non-revs, except for some positive space company business passes.

Quoting gigneil (Reply 45):
Why would you think that? Of course we can non-rev in international F.

Pick a flight that is wide open flight up front, then boarding time comes and it fills up fast. Cockpit Jumpseat is a last resort, that even is not guaranteed anymore..
UNITED We Stand

IAHFLYR

Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:58 pm

Quoting CALTECH (Reply 47):
Probably more like 2400 Hrs local time.

The time is 0600 CST for the SOC on November 30th. CO aircraft which are in active in the ATC system (have departed the gate/ramp) will continue to destination using the CO call sign and flight number. As they all land successive flights that depart at or after 0600 CST will all be "United".

As was post in Reply 16 below:

Quoting GizmoNC (Reply 16):
Date: November 25, 2011
Expires: December 31, 2011
File #: I – 11 – 212
Subject: Single Call Sign Migration
To: All B756 Pilots
On the last day of November, Continental Flight 86 will arrive in Newark from Shanghai. When
the crew accepts their clearance to the gate, it will mark the last time we utter “Continental” on
our radios. While we will experience mixed emotions with the retirement of our proud call sign,
our brand and our heritage lives on.
The Air Carrier Certificate employed by legacy United Airlines (UALA011A) will cease to
operate at 0600 Central time (1200Z) on 11/30/11. All legacy Continental and legacy United
flights will operate using the certificate currently employed by Continental (CALA014A). Both
legacy airlines will file flight plans and operate with “United” flight numbers.
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.

BEG2IAH

Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:28 pm

Quoting GizmoNC (Reply 16):
our radios.

Is there any way someone can record this last call?

BEG2IAH