777way
Topic Author

Why Are EI Flying IAD-MAD For UA?

Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:31 pm

What kind of service is this? I see IAD as an EI destination but there is not MAD in UA network? and why a foreign airline not a US carrier doing this for UA?

rjm777ual

RE: Why Are EI Flying IAD-MAD For UA?

Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:41 pm

I believe it saves money, since American and United aren't the best of freinds.
Greetings from Dulles!

777way
Topic Author

Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:52 pm

Does this carry any Aer Lingus passengers?

cedarjet

Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:06 pm

I must admit, I have been very curious since I recently heard about this route. So - how did this interesting sun come about (and when?), how is it doing, how do UA handle a foreign type when they have to display a seat map for online check in?

Would love to take this flight. Aer Lingus aren't bad on long haul, plus it's such a novelty. Although they've been doing transatlantic since the very early 60s, to me they are the quintessential short haul carrier, and when I took their flight to LA (now discontinued alas), it was LOL weird: "I'm flying over the Grand Canyon...on AER LINGUS!!"

[Edited 2011-11-28 13:22:16 by srbmod]
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

rjm777ual

Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:33 pm

I don't think it carries Aer Lingus passengers, but i could be wrong.
Greetings from Dulles!

mainMAN

Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:37 pm

Quoting 777way (Thread starter):
and why a foreign airline not a US carrier doing this for UA?

I don't think you can call Aer Lingus a foreign carrier in the US! If you get my drift  

shamrock604

Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:51 pm

Quoting rjm777ual (Reply 4):

Yes, it does carry Aer lingus passengers, though not many. EI do sell it also with an EI code, but UA handle the commercial aspects of the service and EI the operational.

The A330 in EI config is the right aircraft for the route, which UA did not have at the time.

a340crew

Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:53 pm

It is a joint venture and can be booked via united or aer lingus, it is a mix of pax from both sides but majority of the pax are making connections through IAD on UA or MAD on Spanair. if you go to uited.com search for the flight and view available seats it shows the a330 seat map no problem. Flights are EI crews and product and have been very full.

777way
Topic Author

Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:56 pm

^ Very similar to what PIA-Saudia did in 70s and 80s, PIA used to fly their 707s for Saudia routed Jeddah-Kano in Nigeria, flight was actually Saudia but it also carried PK code and PIA promoted it as their service too.

catiii

Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:04 pm

It's also (rightfully) very controversial for the UA labor group. I could stand to be corrected, but my understanding is that the Aer Lingus pilots who are flying it are doing so on a discounted wage scale, and the flight attendants were hired by a third-party vendor and aren't Aer Lingus F/A's per se. In fact, I believe the crews for these flights are based at IAD, and these are the only routes they can work. Essentially, like regional flying, they outsourced mainline flying to another mainline style carrier outside the scope of a traditional code-share or alliance agreement.

Tdan

Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:05 pm

UA was infatuated with this "virtual brand" and had intentions to expand it using EI because it was cheaper and their labor contract allowed for it. Hopefully new management realizes that their brand is too important to outsource on long-haul, high revenue flights and this flight is replaced with UA metal
We will ride this thunderbird, silver shadows on the earth, a thousand leagues away our land of birth... -Captain Bruce

catiii

Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:15 pm

Quoting Tdan (Reply 10):
UA was infatuated with this "virtual brand" and had intentions to expand it using EI because it was cheaper and their labor contract allowed for it. Hopefully new management realizes that their brand is too important to outsource on long-haul, high revenue flights and this flight is replaced with UA metal

Also if memory serves me right, and to echo what was said above, I believe at the time UA (under Glen Tilton) may have been in negotiations with the pilot group on another matter and used this as a shot across the bow, so to speak, to make a point. AFA also strongly protested, and a good link here (http://www.unitedafa.org/news/events/2010/aer-lingus/default.aspx) has all that info.

At some point mainline carriers need to realize that this race to the bottom by outsourcing regional flying and, in this case, mainline international flying is a short term gain (lower costs) but a long term loss (brand/image damage).

zrs70

Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:27 pm

This route is a rare breed. One could earn United elite qualifying miles that count toward elite status. One can also use UA miles and UA swu's to upgrade.
17 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2016

Tdan

Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:43 pm

Quoting zrs70 (Reply 12):
This route is a rare breed. One could earn United elite qualifying miles that count toward elite status. One can also use UA miles and UA swu's to upgrade.

It is for all intents and purposes a UA operation. Same thing as having Expressjet operate the flight as a UA express flight when Xjet had their own branded ops up and running with a Xjet liveried aircraft.

Quoting catiii (Reply 11):
Also if memory serves me right, and to echo what was said above, I believe at the time UA (under Glen Tilton) may have been in negotiations with the pilot group on another matter and used this as a shot across the bow, so to speak, to make a point. AFA also strongly protested, and a good link here (http://www.unitedafa.org/news/events/2010/aer-lingus/default.aspx) has all that info.

We will ride this thunderbird, silver shadows on the earth, a thousand leagues away our land of birth... -Captain Bruce

shamrock604

Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:00 pm

Quoting catiii (Reply 9):

Wrong!

The crew are all AerLingus crews, they just dont normally operate other routes because EI don't fly anywhere else from Washington.

N62NA

Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:11 pm

Quoting Tdan (Reply 13):
It is for all intents and purposes a UA operation. Same thing as having Expressjet operate the flight as a UA express flight when Xjet had their own branded ops up and running with a Xjet liveried aircraft.

Well, at least the plane isn't all painted up in UA colors - that would be the icing on the cake in terms of this deception.

Plane not owned/leased by United: Check

Pilots not United employees: Check

Flight attendants not United employees: Check

MX not performed by United: Check

Sounds like it meets all the requirements for being a United flight.

* Not restricting this criticism to UA... DL and US are plenty guilty of this too.

Essentially, like regional flying, they outsourced mainline flying to another mainline style carrier outside the scope of a traditional code-share or alliance agreement.

Right.

At some point mainline carriers need to realize that this race to the bottom by outsourcing regional flying and, in this case, mainline international flying is a short term gain (lower costs) but a long term loss (brand/image damage).

Well stated.

tonystan

Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:39 pm

Normally I would agree...BUT....I would far prefer to fly on a brand spanking new Aer Lingus A330 with full AVOD throughout and be served by their cabin crews then go on anything United can currently offer!!!!

[Edited 2011-11-28 15:46:49]
My views are my own and do not reflect any other person or organisation.

Tdan

Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:44 pm

Quoting tonystan (Reply 16):
Its cheaper for UA to

Normally I would agree...BUT....I would far prefer to fly on a brand spanking new Aer Lingus A330 with full AVOD throughout and be served by their cabin crews then go on anything United can currently offer!!!!

What about a newly refurbished UA 763 with CO fully-flat BF seats, AVOD, E+ and CO catering?  

[Edited 2011-11-28 15:48:24]

Italianflyer

Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:18 am

Quoting tonystan (Reply 16):

Well...the cabin crews are outsourced too. They are US nationals based in IAD who are on EI's payroll as contracted to do the IAD (or any future US city) - MAD flying ONLY. I believe the flight deck is native EI who work a 'W' trip from DUB IAD MAD IAD DUB.

tonystan

Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:54 am

Quoting ItalianFlyer (Reply 18):
Well...the cabin crews are outsourced too. They are US nationals based in IAD who are on EI's payroll as contracted to do the IAD (or any future US city) - MAD flying ONLY. I believe the flight deck is native EI who work a 'W' trip from DUB IAD MAD IAD DUB.

Not quite but nearly   . EI no longer operate DUB-IAD anymore nor have they done for about 2 years. I do believe some flight crew where seconded to IAD in the early stages and a number of cabin crew from DUB, BFS and LGW were also sent over to cover periods of time with full lodgings provided in IAD for the duration however the crew in IAD by and large are hired directly by EI through their own website and are as you say, solely US based operating only this route. There are constantly "crewmours" that they will be put on the Irish routes but obviously this has not happened nor I would say is likely to happen.

Going by the regular recruitment ads on aerlingus.com for IAD based cabin crew something tells me the attrition is high!

Italianflyer

Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:16 am

Quoting tonystan (Reply 19):
Not quite but nearly . EI no longer operate DUB-IAD anymore nor have they done for about 2 years. I do believe some flight crew where seconded to IAD in the early stages and a number of cabin crew from DUB, BFS and LGW were also sent over to cover periods of time with full lodgings provided in IAD for the duration however the crew in IAD by and large are hired directly by EI through their own website and are as you say, solely US based operating only this route. There are constantly "crewmours" that they will be put on the Irish routes but obviously this has not happened nor I would say is likely to happen.

REALLY??   I did not know that the front office was outsourced too. I forgot about EI pulling the DUB route a few years ago...my fault. I do know that this is a serious sticking point at UA with ALPA and AFA and the unions at EI were far from pleased when this arrangement was announced.

washingtonian

Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:05 am

I imagine this route will be served by United mainline after 2012 on a 2-class 763 or 764.

777way
Topic Author

Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:47 am

So IAD is not an Aer Lingus destination?

MD13

Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:42 am

I was supposed to be on the MAD-IAD flight last August but it got cancelled due to T-storms in IAD.
All the branding in MAD was UA.

shamrock604

Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:50 am

Quoting ItalianFlyer (Reply 20):

The front office is not outsourced! They are EI crew who were offered relocation to IAD base.

The cabin crews are EI crews who work IAD-MAD only because EI don't fly anywhere else from Washington!

Less of the conspiracy theories!

NorthstarBoy

Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:14 pm

I have to wonder, do they use dedicated aircraft, or do they ferry an A330 between Madrid and Dublin before and after the flight?
Yes, I'd like to see airbus go under so Boeing can have their customers!

330guy

Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:19 pm

flight attendants were hired by a third-party vendor and aren't Aer Lingus F/A's per se

They are Aer Lingus cabin crew hired by Aer Lingus, but only work this route... lets put that one to bed now!!

Quoting NorthstarBoy (Reply 25):
I have to wonder, do they use dedicated aircraft, or do they ferry an A330 between Madrid and Dublin before and after the flight?

Kind of, one aircraft will stay on the route of a period of time, then head up to DUB while another on heads down to MAD. Its not a daily swap but the same aircraft wont stay on the route for too long before heading back to base.
Aircraft flown: a300/10/20/21/30/40, b727/37/47/57/67/, DC9, MD80-90, l1011, f50, atr42/72, shorts360, pc12

Rdh3e

Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:28 pm

Quoting 330guy (Reply 26):
They are Aer Lingus cabin crew hired by Aer Lingus, but only work this route... lets put that one to bed now!!

And many don't live in IAD! When I did this flight last year the purser lived in CLE and commuted. The FA's were all (the ones I spoke with) Americans and the pilots were Irish.

FRAIAD

Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:38 pm

I am pretty sure that it is because United (before the merger with CO) did not have two class aircraft and the route does not provide enough demand for a first class.

catiii

Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:45 pm

Quoting FRAIAD (Reply 29):
I am pretty sure that it is because United (before the merger with CO) did not have two class aircraft and the route does not provide enough demand for a first class.

But the configuration is 2 class on the EI 330s, no?

330guy

Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:15 pm

Quoting rdh3e (Reply 28):
And many don't live in IAD! When I did this flight last year the purser lived in CLE and commuted. The FA's were all (the ones I spoke with) Americans and the pilots were Irish.

Thats correct, becuase one of the req's for being hired is having a working visa for the US and also being based in IAD, so my guess would be that the only applicants (or at least the vast majority) are US citizens.
The situation with Pilots works different as it costs a lot more time and money to train new Pilots so its more economical for the airline to send existing pilots to work the route, who will mostly be Irish as they would be based in either DUB or SNN.
Aircraft flown: a300/10/20/21/30/40, b727/37/47/57/67/, DC9, MD80-90, l1011, f50, atr42/72, shorts360, pc12

chicawgo

Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:29 pm

OK I'm so frustrated with incorrect information being given here that I decided I should pay the membership fee and finally join!

I flew business class MAD-IAD on this marketing partnership in July. I spoke for a long time with a flight attendant. I can guarantee you that the FA's are American. As a previous poster said, it is true that not all live in DC but they do commute from the US. And unless the entire thing is an act, none of the FA's had any foreign accent that I could detect. They live in the US and they are NOT unionized. I don't know if EI FA's are unionized either but this FA made it clear that they are in a separate pool from normal EI FA's. However, the pilots are EI employees and I can vouch that they did have Irish accents.

On an experience level, the hard product in biz was very similar to UA's hard product. There are lots of UA marketed aspects: menu had United logo, Hemispheres was in all seat pockets, etc.

The one way I would say it's inferior to UA is in the professionalism of the FA's. Perhaps it's because they were hired separately and specifically for this route, who knows. But I definitely noticed it. They just acted much more casual. I'm not sure how else to say it. For example, they didn't go through at the beginning and ask for jackets to hang... and an hour before landing I asked for another glass of wine and when the FA returned she said... "they already stowed the wine away and I had to take it out for you... you know we're landing soon." I found that unprofessional. These were not the only things but they are just examples.

All in all, the flight was fine and I can't complain. But, again, the FA's are American!!!! Perhaps there are a couple exceptions, but for the most part, they are not standard EI FA's.

330guy

Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:45 pm

Its too late to edit my previous post but regarding EI hiring the FA's

If you go to the EI website they are currently hiring FA's for this route.

Quoting chicawgo (Reply 32):

Firstly may I say welcome to A.net. Yes EI cabin crew are unionised, I cant speak of crews on the IAD-MAD route being in a different pool I can only say they are hired and paid by EI and not a 3rd Party, being in a different pool makes sense as they are based outside not only Ireland but the EU also so it might have somethign to do with working regs, contracts ect & yes most if not all are American but thats par for the course when it a prerequisite to have a US working visa in order to apply.

grimey

Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:33 pm

Quoting NorthstarBoy (Reply 25):
Quoting 330guy (Reply 26):

I think EI have also done the swap on the American side; fly a A330 from JFK / BOS to IAD and have the IAD aircraft fly in the opposite direction just with flight crews on them.

And to back up my claim of the switch happening on the American side of the Atlantic just look at the flights for the last few days of EI-DUO & EI-DAA

http://data.flight24.com/airplanes/ei-duo/
http://data.flight24.com/airplanes/ei-daa/

Grimey

[Edited 2011-11-29 10:40:46]

330guy

Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:59 pm

Quoting grimey (Reply 34):
I think EI have also done the swap on the American side

Thats prob makes more sense, Dont they have more downtime between flights on the US side than they do in DUB & SNN?

roseflyer

Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:01 pm

On an experience level, the hard product in biz was very similar to UA's hard product. There are lots of UA marketed aspects: menu had United logo, Hemispheres was in all seat pockets, etc.

Hard product usually refers to the seat itself. 52'' pitch lie flat seats are nothing like the fully flat seats that the IPTE UA fleet has or CO's reconfigured BF. The EI seat is not at the same standard as where UA is going with their product.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

chicawgo

Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:11 pm

Quoting RoseFlyer (Reply 36):
Hard product usually refers to the seat itself. 52'' pitch lie flat seats are nothing like the fully flat seats that the IPTE UA fleet has or CO's reconfigured BF. The EI seat is not at the same standard as where UA is going with their product.

Sorry I did not mean to include the marketing aspects in the hard product. I should have started a new paragraph.

To be honest, I did notice it was not truly lie flat like UA but it was very very close. And other than that I can't think of anything about the seat including IFE that was different from UA.

777way
Topic Author

Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:23 pm

OK I'm so frustrated with incorrect information being given here that I decided I should pay the membership fee and finally join!

You could have emailed the info to anyone of the members here via their profiles contact, but anyways welcome onboard.

IrishAyes

Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:32 pm

Quoting 777way (Reply 38):
You could have emailed the info to anyone of the members here via their profiles contact, but anyways welcome onboard.

I think it's about time he signed up for a membership ...I've been trying to convince him to do so for several months  
Quoting 777way (Thread starter):
What kind of service is this? I see IAD as an EI destination but there is not MAD in UA network? and why a foreign airline not a US carrier doing this for UA?

Interestingly, this route started shortly around the time that IB dropped its MAD-IAD flights. Given that IAD is not a OW hub, it functions better as a UA flight in the JV in order to capture traffic beyond IAD.

Also, in an ironic twist, seeing how many times the dropped EI DUB-LAX flight has been referenced, the IB aircraft used on MAD-IAD was sent to LAX to begin MAD-LAX as part of the JV-ATI between AA/BA/IB. Just some triva for you.
confidence is silent. insecurities are loud.

chicawgo

Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:38 pm

Quoting 777way (Reply 38):

I actually have wanted to join for a while so I used this as an excuse!

Hypoxik

Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:47 pm

Quoting chicawgo (Reply 40):

This thread motivated me to join as well. Only been 10 years.
California Native. KIWA, PHOG, KEWR, KIAH, KLAX, KIAH, KEWR, KORD, KIAD, KORD, KSFO, KLAX

chicawgo

Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:39 pm

Quoting Hypoxik (Reply 41):

Cheers!   

777way
Topic Author

Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:58 pm

Quoting Hypoxik (Reply 41):

Did you know membership here used to be free uptil a decade or so ago.

Viscount724

Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:20 pm

Quoting N62NA (Reply 15):
Quoting Tdan (Reply 13):

Well, at least the plane isn't all painted up in UA colors - that would be the icing on the cake in terms of this deception.

Plane not owned/leased by United: Check

Pilots not United employees: Check

Flight attendants not United employees: Check

MX not performed by United: Check

Sounds like it meets all the requirements for being a United flight.

* Not restricting this criticism to UA... DL and US are plenty guilty of this too.

And many examples elsewhere in the world. Two weeks ago I flew :LX GVA-ZRH-PRG-ZRH-GVA. The ZRH-PRG-ZRH flights were operated by German carrier Contact Air using a Fokker 100. Service was at least as good as LX itself and aircraft interiors are like new. I doubt 1 in 100 passengers were aware they weren't on an LX aircraft, especially since the Contact Air Fokker 100s operating for LX are in Star Alliance livery.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Gerry Stegmeier

LX flights on certain routes are also operated by independent Swiss carrier Helvetic Air, also using Fokker 100s. Those Contact Air and Helvetic Air flights meet all the conditions you refer to above for UA/EI.

Those operations make a lot of sense as they permit the carrier to serve more destinations and operate higher frequency on certain routes than if they only used their own aircaft and crews. Result is a larger network, more passengers, and higher revenue and profitability.

And is it really any different that the dozens of regional codeshare operations marketed by the major carrier although pilots and flight attendants aren't employed by, and maintenance isn't performed by, that carrier?

IBERIA747

Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:35 pm

My sister flies this route quite often as she has to go to Washington DC for work reasons. She says that the cabin crews are always the same and that the flights are always packed. She also says that the service has been very good on all her flights.
¡¡VIVA ESPAÑA!!

grimey

Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:20 pm

Quoting 330guy (Reply 35):
Thats prob makes more sense, Dont they have more downtime between flights on the US side than they do in DUB & SNN?

I think some of the JFK flights have 4-5 hours down time, its also only a 1 hour ferry flight from IAD to JFK and they don't have to worry about as quick turnaround times as they would in Madrid with pax getting off and getting on aircraft.

I wonder if EI could try do this in the future with flights to Asia / Australia from a European airport under a different airline but have the connections to DUB, LGW etc.

tonystan

Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:42 am

Quoting 330guy (Reply 35):

You will be very hard pressed to find an EI330 in SNN these days. Their operation out of there has been ravaged due to low demand and all atlantic operations are now solely based out of DUB with season operations only through SNN. I dont think there has been a flight crew base in SNN for many years.

FRAIAD

Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:14 am

Quoting catiii (Reply 30):

I meant three-class. Sorry about that.

armcom

Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:14 am

chicawgo and Hypoxik,

This thread also motivated me to rejoin after 7 years.