Birdwatching
Topic Author

Google Maps Now Covers Airport Terminal Floor Maps

Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:36 am

Version 6.0 of the Google Maps app on Android will include indoor maps. In addition to shopping malls and some large retail stores like IKEA, the service covers airport terminals in the USA and Japan, with more locations to be added in the future.

http://www.newsday.com/news/google-s...-with-new-mobile-feature-1.3353837

Since a GPS signal tends to be weak in buildings, the service will rely on wifi signals and cell network triangulation to determine the location.

http://cdn2.spiegel.de/images/image-288555-galleryV9-dmoj.jpg

Soren   
All the things you probably hate about travelling are warm reminders that I'm home

BrouAviation

RE: Google Maps Now Covers Airport Terminal Floor Maps

Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:49 am

Quoting Birdwatching (Thread starter):

Version 6.0 of the Google Maps app on Android will include indoor maps. In addition to shopping malls and some large retail stores like IKEA, the service covers airport terminals in the USA and Japan, with more locations to be added in the future.

Shame it is not yet available for European airports, but I like the idea. Anyone from the USA who's able to comment on wether it actually works? Are all stores displayed?
I hate running through several terminals to find a Starbucks for example where Google says there is one located at the airport, but doesn't display its actual location in the terminal. This seems to have the potential to solve that.
Never ask somebody if he's a pilot. If he is, he will let you know soon enough!

Vasu

Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:01 pm

Seems like a good idea to me...!

Delta763

Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:55 pm

I think it's great. I'm just wondering how long before the TSA ruins it for us.

Semaex

Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:21 pm

Quoting Delta763 (Reply 3):

For YOU, not for US  

Kidding aside, you have a point. But history has tought us that innovation is hard to stop. This will be one of the more useful apps, if it isn't already! Can't wait for European airport to be added to the list...
// You know you're an aviation enthusiast when you look at your neighbour's cars and think about fleet commonality.

andrefranca

Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:55 pm

Quoting Semaex (Reply 4):
For YOU, not for US

x 2 ! ! !

google sometimes does it right!