csturdiv
Topic Author

AB & ZB Ops At RSW

Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:45 pm

I just recently flew ORD-RSW-ORD on AA, maybe my last Mad Dog flights. At RSW yesterday when I was being dropped off at the departures, I noticed signs for both AB & ZB. And during my delay due to the high winds in Chicago yesterday, I saw the AB A332 coming in at RSW. I know that southwest Florida is a vacation spot, but these two destinations kind of seem out of place for both of these carriers, especially with ZB as I noticed it was operating on behalf of a tour company with flights between Norway and RSW. Is Fort Myers, Naples, Marco Island and the other surrounding areas a hotbed of German and Norwegian tourism? I know the ZB flight have not started yet, but when I was down there for about 5 days, I really didn't notice/hear any German language in Naples and Marco Island.
An American expat from the ORD area living and working in SYD

by188b

RE: AB & ZB Ops At RSW

Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:57 pm

Monarch are operating a Aalborg - Fort Myers service from the 19th December on behalf of a Danish tour operator.

See this link, also has a nice pic of a AB and MON A330's

http://univacus.com/2011/08/23/winte...nced-comefly-–-monarch-airlines/
next flights : BD LHR-TXL J, FR SXF-STN Y, SN BRU-LHR Y, MA LHR-BUD Y, BA BUD-LHR J, BA LCY-SNN-JFK J, BA JFK-LHR J, BA

MCO2BRS

Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:00 pm

If I recall correctly, AB has operated into RSW on a seasonal basis for a few years, its always been operated from DUS and was inherited when they took over LTU. I'm not sure how long LT operated the flights for before the AB merger, several years I imagine. LT also used to operate DUS-TPA as well, but that was way back in the mid 90s.

The Gulf coast and South FL is to Germans as what Orlando is to the British. Its been a large market for charter and seasonal traffic for quite a number of years.

Hope this helps,

MCO 2 BRS

GolfBravoRomeo

Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:19 pm

The west coast became popular with Germans after hurricane Andrew. IIRC LTU was there in the mid or even early 90's. The runway was lengthened around that time.

jetsetter629

Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:58 pm

Quoting GolfBravoRomeo (Reply 3):
IIRC LTU was there in the mid or even early 90's

I agree, I've know I've seen LTU at RSW in the 90s.

Quoting csturdiv (Thread starter):
Is Fort Myers, Naples, Marco Island and the other surrounding areas a hotbed of German and Norwegian tourism?

I'm the opposite, I find tons of Germans particularly in Naples. Often, restaurants will have menus in English and German. It's amazing for being such a "regional airport" compared to MIA, MCO, and TPA they have widebody service to Europe. The new terminal is nice and allows for lots of expansion.

777STL

Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:12 pm

Quoting csturdiv (Thread starter):
Is Fort Myers, Naples, Marco Island and the other surrounding areas a hotbed of German and Norwegian tourism?

Yes, southwest FL and south FL in general is a huge German tourist destination. Go to any grocery store or any public place in the FMY area and listen, you're bound to hear someone speaking German(or speaking English with a German accent).
PHX based