LAXintl
Topic Author

AA Withdraws From Boise

Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:14 pm

Earlier this year (April) as part of its LAX Eagle buildup AA commenced service to Boise.

Yesterday staff was notified the route and station will be dropped effective February 9th, 2012.

I guess AA flyers can go back to utilizing Alaska to access to the market via places like SEA/PDX.

Suppose GDS will be updated over the coming weekend.

[Edited 2011-12-01 11:21:44]
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

dellatorre

RE: AA Withdraws From Boise

Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:27 pm

Legacies like CO and AA have found quite hard to establish themselves in BOI. One must admit it's a limited market. Even DL tried to make it work from ATL.

SHUPirate1

Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:37 pm

I believe Southwest is pulling down some routes as of January as well. One wonders if that will/would be an opportunity for a Delta to try Atlanta service again.
Burma's constitutional referendum options: A. Yes, B. Go to Insein Prison!

trigged

Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:14 pm

I wonder if there is a list floating around yet of the cities that are going to get dropped.

PSU.DTW.SCE

Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:38 pm

Quoting SHUPirate1 (Reply 2):
I believe Southwest is pulling down some routes as of January as well. One wonders if that will/would be an opportunity for a Delta to try Atlanta service again.

BOI is well connected to the DL network over SLC and MSP. If anything they could increase capacity on MSP-BOI.

ATL-BOI is a long-and-thin route that gains very minimal connectivity for the majority of demand over MSP or SLC.

crAAzy

Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:43 pm

A bit of a shame on the AA route map, but I always thought it was a bit of an odd route anyway. Especially since BOI-DFW didn't work.

BoeingGuy

Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:17 pm

Quoting trigged (Reply 3):
I wonder if there is a list floating around yet of the cities that are going to get dropped.

At least I can take comfort knowing that they can't possibly cut more routes from SJC or SEA. They've already pretty much gutted SJC back to a minor station and cut all but a few destinations from SEA.

filipair

Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:16 am

Just goes to show how weak AA is in the NW/Mountain West. I wonder how many more of these kinds of reductions will happen across the network as a result of filing for BK...

United787

Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:19 am

Quoting Dellatorre (Reply 1):
Legacies like CO and AA have found quite hard to establish themselves in BOI.

Except that UA serves BOI from ORD, DEN, LAX & SFO...

FlyASAGuy2005

Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:28 am

Quoting Dellatorre (Reply 1):
Legacies like CO and AA have found quite hard to establish themselves in BOI. One must admit it's a limited market. Even DL tried to make it work from ATL.

It's a fairly long route which returned marginal payouts and would tie up an 32S/737 all day. They are doing pretty well with the station out of SLC as of late, sitting at 5x on peak travel days (2x 320, 2x CR9, 1x CRJ). I suppose they could re-time the daylight mainline a/c to tie into ATL, doing something like XXX-SLC-BOI-ATL but it wouls still take an aircraft and a half. Not to mention the connection opportunities through MSP.
What gets measured gets done.

SJUSXM

Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:51 am

I can't say this is too much of a surprise. It's one of the few stations that only sees service to LAX, and the others are all in CA or HI. Twice a day on E140's, I think this one was coming even without the bankruptcy filing.
AT7, ER3, ER4, ER5, CR7, E70, E75, F100, M82, M83, 722, 732, 738, 752, 762, 763, AB6, 320, 321, 772, 77W

AeroWesty

Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:58 am

Quoting Filipair (Reply 7):
I wonder how many more of these kinds of reductions will happen across the network as a result of filing for BK

I've been wondering how PDX will fare even though we're mainline instead of Eagle.

We lost Chicago flights a few years ago, St. Louis rather quickly when it was de-hubbed, the red-eye to DFW was cancelled a couple of years ago, and of course we lost whatever was left of AirCal and RenoAir long ago. I remember flying AA to Boston in the summer of 2003 via STL, and the AA check-in counters were just heaving early in the morning with flights heading south and east. Now we're down to just 4x/day to DFW, with the last flight departing at 2:55pm. All MD-80s, of course.
International Homo of Mystery

ah414211

Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:57 am

Wow...the BOI market must be performing really badly with the numerous cuts over the past several years.

AS mainline pulled out several years back in favor of QX Q400s, then QX dropped LAX, GEG, and IDA service.

F9 has dropped service to seasonal only.

WN is dropping SLC, RNO and SEA.

CO/XJ dropped IAH.

GQ went Out of business.

The majority of UA and DL flights are now CRJ equipment

And now this? Ouch for BOI!

slcdeltarumd11

Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:50 am

There are clearly people in the Boise area but its not a tourist market or a major business market to help boost it enough to support these services? It almost seems like BOI should do better than it does its too bad to loose all those WN cities but AA is a whole airline to provide pricing pressure and connections in the West is now gone. Bad loss for BOI every airline helps to provide pricing pressure.

commavia

Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:21 am

Quoting SJUSXM (Reply 10):
I can't say this is too much of a surprise. It's one of the few stations that only sees service to LAX, and the others are all in CA or HI. Twice a day on E140's, I think this one was coming even without the bankruptcy filing.

I agree - while unfortunate, not entirely unexpected. From the beginning, this always sounded like one of the more far-fetched of the new LAX Eagle routes.

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 11):
I've been wondering how PDX will fare even though we're mainline instead of Eagle.

I think Portland is too big a market not to serve, albeit I doubt Portland will ever again see anything besides mainline to DFW, and possibly - possibly - the return of a seasonal Chicago. My guess would be that as the MD80s draw down, Portland will move to three 737s to DFW, with possibly a seasonal fourth in the summer.

Quoting ah414211 (Reply 12):
Wow...the BOI market must be performing really badly with the numerous cuts over the past several years.

I'm not sure if it's that the Boise market in general is performing badly. I think what it shows it that, like many of the Pacific Northwest markets between Denver/Salt Lake City and Portland/Seattle, Boise was too small to support much flying to hubs outside its general region - either nonstop to Rocky Mountain hubs or Pacific Northwest hubs. Boise has a few nonstop flights outside of short-haul hub markets - to California, Minneapolis, Chicago, etc. - but not many.

RWA380

Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:30 am

Quoting Filipair (Reply 7):
Just goes to show how weak AA is in the NW/Mountain West.
AA has had two attempts at making a niche for themselves on the west coast, capitalizing on a growing area in San Jose, kind of seemed a recepie for success, AA screwed it up TWICE. Just a shame two good carriers went away because of them. I wonder if AirCal and/or Reno Air had continued flying if they had not been bought and dismantled, it's not like AA even competed with those carriers, it's llke they killed just for the sport of it. Would AS have become as predominant on the west coast as they have become?

Other than the short lived SEA-NRT M11, which subsequently spawned flight on AA from SEA to MIA, JFK, BOS along with the usual fare to DFW, ORD & STL when hubbed. AA's service to the NW has been unimpressive. Did like their PDX-EUG flights on 727's tho, most of the flights to the NW were M80's except those trans-cons that operated connections from the NRT flight, and a few seasonal 757's from DFW & STL.

[Edited 2011-12-02 03:37:17]
Next Flights: PDX-HNL-OGG-LIH-PDX On AS, WP & HA

commavia

Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:41 am

Quoting RWA380 (Reply 15):
AA has had two attempts at making a niche for themselves on the west coast, capitalizing on a growing area in San Jose, kind of seemed a recepie for success, AA screwed it up TWICE.

It was, in both cases, the hubris of thinking that AA could come in with substantially higher costs but be able to generate substantially higher revenue to offset those costs because of ultimately-allusive network synergies. After each acquisition, the costs went up, but the revenue never did.

Thus why, despite multiple attempts - not just from AA, but also Delta and USAirways - to buy into the West Coast market, it has now been left largely to a mix of United and Southwest, which seems like about the right equilibrium for the region: one global network carrier with a huge hub (San Francisco) and one a massive domestic/regional carrier with tons of flights and lower costs/fares.

Just a shame two good carriers went away because of them. I wonder if AirCal and/or Reno Air had continued flying if they had not been bought and dismantled, it's not like AA even competed with those carriers, it's llke they killed just for the sport of it.

I doubt either of those airlines would have survived long-term. Neither, in my view, had the critical mass to have survived long-term up against the carrier that naturally came to dominate their main markets: Southwest.

NUAir

Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:01 pm

BOI is only down 1% y-o-y and according to the airport authority all but the WN Reno service is being made up by increased frequencies from the other carriers.

It looks like they could use non-stop service to SAN.

http://www.cityofboise.org/Departmen...wsletter/ConnectionsSummer2011.pdf

"After the Southwest announcement, Alaska announced that they would increase non- stop service to Seattle with two additional frequencies effective January 8, 2012."

Also interesting that AA has a market share in BOI of just 0.97%, not surprising they are looking to leave.

However, it would have been nice if AA would have competed with UA on the ORD flight. I always end up on full planes paying fairly high fares, connections to the east coast markets are the bigger issue for BOI.
"How Many Assholes we got on this ship?" - Lord Helmet

AJMIA

Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:18 pm

Quoting SJUSXM (Reply 10):

I agree.
I do not think you can call this the first casualty of the BK.

AJMIA
Lady it's a jet... not a kite.

FlyASAGuy2005

Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:48 pm

Now with the BK, what's your thoughts on possible growth in New England Comm? I was speculating we could see 2x daily S80 service to PVD.

bjorn14

Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:29 pm

Quoting commavia (Reply 16):
it has now been left largely to a mix of United and Southwest,

and Alaska......
"I want to know the voice of God the rest is just details" --A. Einstein

Jamake1

Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:08 pm

I do wonder if LAX will continue to see more route cutbacks. I thought the recent build-up of AE service to places such as ABQ, DEN, RNO, SMF, and TUS seemed a bit over exuberant on the part of AMR. They are the 4th competitor in the LAX-DEN market. I can see core AE LAX markets like MRY, SAN, and SBA surviving, but I do question how long the more recent additions will fare throughout the restructuring. Ditto for lone frequencies on AA metal to places like BWI and EWR...
United's B747-400. "She's a a cruel lover."

enilria

Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:34 pm

Quoting LAXintl (Thread starter):

Earlier this year (April) as part of its LAX Eagle buildup AA commenced service to Boise.

Yesterday staff was notified the route and station will be dropped effective February 9th, 2012.

I guess AA flyers can go back to utilizing Alaska to access to the market via places like SEA/PDX.

Suppose GDS will be updated over the coming weekend.

There will be a lot more of this coming as the ERJs get sent home to the warm sand of the desert.

NWAESC

Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:13 pm

Quoting PSU.DTW.SCE (Reply 4):
BOI is well connected to the DL network over SLC and MSP. If anything they could increase capacity on MSP-BOI.

ATL-BOI is a long-and-thin route that gains very minimal connectivity for the majority of demand over MSP or SLC.

Agreed. BOI-MSP did well LF-wise for NW (yes, I know that doesn't always equal good yield). DEN aside, I also thought we were the only east bound traffic out of there. Didn't realize UA still served ORD?

ATL might be nice, but as noted, it's too long/thin. I also think a lot of the connections possible from there would involve backtracking.

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 11):

Same here.

Quoting commavia (Reply 14):
Portland will move to three 737s to DFW, with possibly a seasonal fourth in the summer.

I think this is probably accurate, though I wonder if either one of them-or the 4th seasonal- would be the red-eye?
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."

commavia

Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:22 pm

Quoting nwaesc (Reply 23):
I think this is probably accurate, though I wonder if either one of them-or the 4th seasonal- would be the red-eye?

Maybe.

I think the three that are likely the safest, because of the way the schedule works out both to and from DFW, would be the ~0600, 1130 and 1500 PDX departures. That hypothetical fourth seasonal flight could be the ~2345 redeye, but more likely would be the other PDX RON, the ~0830.

jmc1975

Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:18 pm

Quoting crAAzy (Reply 5):
A bit of a shame on the AA route map, but I always thought it was a bit of an odd route anyway. Especially since BOI-DFW didn't work.

It'll probably be back but in the form of BOI-PHX from US.

SJUSXM

Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:01 pm

Quoting jamake1 (Reply 21):
I do wonder if LAX will continue to see more route cutbacks. I thought the recent build-up of AE service to places such as ABQ, DEN, RNO, SMF, and TUS seemed a bit over exuberant on the part of AMR. They are the 4th competitor in the LAX-DEN market. I can see core AE LAX markets like MRY, SAN, and SBA surviving, but I do question how long the more recent additions will fare throughout the restructuring. Ditto for lone frequencies on AA metal to places like BWI and EWR...

AA has been on LAX-DEN for quite a while, this wasn't part of the April expansion of last year. The change was from 2x MQ ER4's and 2x AA M80's to all 4x CR7's. I think the others will work or stay, maybe with some changing of equipment or so (CR7->ER4). Also, AA doesn't serve BWI, but does do BNA and YYZ once a day 738. I think all those are safe as well, but I'm an optimist.
AT7, ER3, ER4, ER5, CR7, E70, E75, F100, M82, M83, 722, 732, 738, 752, 762, 763, AB6, 320, 321, 772, 77W

slcdeltarumd11

Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:32 pm

AE seems to be doing well on SLC-LAX but i dont know how the other recent adds are doing. I have heard LAX-ASE is looking good also but its way to early its the lul periods that can be real tough on ski routes.

ridgid727

Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:24 am

Quoting jmc1975 (Reply 26):
It'll probably be back but in the form of BOI-PHX from US.

US allready serves that route twice a day.

RWA380

Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:52 am

I remember flying into BOI fairly regularly, have done QX SWM, F-27, F-28, CRJ, Q 200/400, Dorniers... WN 733 ..... DL CRJ, And once Air Oregon SWM stopped in Pendleton, also once UA 727-100 also stopped in PDT.... Seems there was so many options to Boise then, and with Horizon, they dropped many cities in the NW when the 200's left. I also remember flying Sierra Pacific operating for Morris Air and WC 737-200's. Poor Boise.

Also, if AS could not make BOI-LAX work, how was AA going to make it work. Did AS give the route to AA recognizing many of the passengers were connecting onwards to AA flights or AA coded flights on other carriers, like QF.

[Edited 2011-12-03 00:59:11]
Next Flights: PDX-HNL-OGG-LIH-PDX On AS, WP & HA

kwbl

Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:05 pm

Too bad about this route. I really would like to see AA increase their presence in the NW but now they just have PDX and SEA. I have always found it odd why they have not done more out of PDX - at one time (actually 3 times) they had decent sized operations (albeit after mergers with AirCal, Renoair and TWA) but they start cutting PDX routes almost immediately after the merger. On the PDX website, you can see px loads and AA is seldom under 90% during any month. They carry about 420,000 passengers every year which is really alot given they only operate 4 flights during the winter and 5 during the summer. I would be suprised is yields aren't at least decent because AA is seldom the cheapest option (of course if their cost structure is high, then that may be the problem). Maybe they just don't think they can compete or maybe they think the link with AS gives them adequate coverage up in the NW. I would like them to re-introduce ORD and maybe through in a JFK, MIA or LAX

BoeingGuy

Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:44 pm

AS mainline pulled out several years back in favor of QX Q400s

I don't recall AS ever having much mainline at BOI. They've tried it for a short time on a few occasion, but not sure AS ever served BOI long-term. A few years ago I think they put a 737 or two on SEA-BOI as a tag-on from other routes, but didn't last long (again).

Other than the short lived SEA-NRT M11

That route was more than short lived. It was discontinued in about November 2001, and started around 1991 IIRC. The MD-11 on it may have been short lived, but the route operated several years with a 777. But yeah, it was dove-tailed with the SEA-MIA flight as you allude to, which carried the same flight number but had a change of equipment - usually a 763 and sometimes a 757.

FutureUScapt

Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:09 pm

On that same day, AA (Eagle) will also be ending DFW-FAY and ORD-YYC. DFW-FAY is currently served 2x daily with ERJs and ORD-YYC is served 1x daily with CR7s. At over 1000mi, DFW-FAY has to be one of the longest ERJ routes in the AA network.

MAH4546

Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:36 pm

It's too bad BOI didn't work, but difficult market for AA without also serving another point, like offering a BOIORD flight in complement.

Other than the short lived SEA-NRT M11,

The route was served over a decade.

Quoting jamake1 (Reply 21):

LAXDEN isn't new. AA has been flying that for 20+ years. Overall, the new LAX flying is working and there are plans for more. But additional flying is contingent on a new LAX CR7 base, and I believe that is on hold for now. I have heard the best performer is LAXTUS, thanks to AA having strong corporate travel agreements in the Tucson area. LAXSLC has also been a strong performer.

[Edited 2011-12-03 13:39:58]
a.

smoot4208

Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:45 pm

Quoting FutureUScapt (Reply 33):
On that same day, AA (Eagle) will also be ending DFW-FAY and ORD-YYC. DFW-FAY is currently served 2x daily with ERJs and ORD-YYC is served 1x daily with CR7s. At over 1000mi, DFW-FAY has to be one of the longest ERJ routes in the AA network.

Looks like the first casualties of the bk filing. dfw-fay never made sense as passengers in fay could already connect in either CLT or ATL

MAH4546

Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:39 am

Quoting smoot4208 (Reply 35):
Quoting FutureUScapt (Reply 33):

Looks like the first casualties of the bk filing. dfw-fay never made sense as passengers in fay could already connect in either CLT or ATL

This has absolutely nothing to do with the BK filing. These types of decisions are not made that quickly.

FAY was launched largely because of significant military traffic that flies between Texas and Faytteville.
a.

boberito6589

Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:44 am

Quoting smoot4208 (Reply 35):

Now they will be connecting in CLT:

American Airlines (AA) will be protecting passengers on US flights for the following dates in the DFW-FAY market:
First Travel date 09FEB12
Last Travel date 02NOV12
Last Qualifying Ticketing date 04DEC11

ATCGOD

Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:48 am

CO/XJ dropped IAH.

Don't forget XJ flew their branded E145's here for awhile to SAN and Quoting NUAir (Reply 17):
It looks like they could use non-stop service to SAN.

Yep, QX and XJ both flew direct SAN for awhile.

Quoting BoeingGuy (Reply 32):
I don't recall AS ever having much mainline at BOI. They've tried it for a short time on a few occasion, but not sure AS ever served BOI long-term. A few years ago I think they put a 737 or two on SEA-BOI as a tag-on from other routes, but didn't last long (again).

When I first got to BOI in 2007 we had one MD80/daily, but they dumped the mainline route in '08 or '09 IIRC.

BOI's also losing SeaPort's service to IDA and PDT. Two routes that no one really expected to stay, but they just started back in July.

[Edited 2011-12-03 20:50:35]

zippyjet

Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:17 am

Sad to hear this for AA station crewmembers. However, we (SWA Life) service BOI.
I'm Zippyjet & I approve of this message!

Azul320

Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:13 am

Maybe JetBlue will enter with a 1X daily LGB-BOI-LGB?
Filler.
Filler.

Excuse me, while I kiss the sky

ridgid727

Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:44 pm

Quoting atcgod (Reply 37):
BOI's also losing SeaPort's service to IDA and PDT. Two routes that no one really expected to stay, but they just started back in July.

What is Seaports pull out date from IDA and BOI. I have not heard about this one.

slcdeltarumd11

Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:07 pm

Quoting Azul320 (Reply 39):
Maybe JetBlue will enter with a 1X daily LGB-BOI-LGB?

I'm guessing sadly no because LGB is slot restricted and those are needed to keep frequency up on competitive routes jetblue tries to get slots every chance they get at LGB. Jetblue only has a certain amount of slots and they need almost pure O&D to survive on routes and fill seats. If AA Eagle or AS couldn't pull off BOI-LAX then it would be hard for jetblue to try BOI-LGB with an A320. A single daily DEN-LGB as suicidal as it may be and never make money is probably much more important to add for jetblues frequent flyers at LGB and a better use of a slot. Jetblue has some loyal followers and this route would really be helpful to tons of them im sure if they can do it without loosing tons. BOI might be a nice addition if they can get more slots in the future but it seems like it wouldn't be a priority unfortunately and an A320 is too big

FlyASAGuy2005

Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:22 pm

Quoting boberito6589 (Reply 36):

But that's only for pax ticketed through Dec, right.

OOer

Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:45 pm

How is DFW-CYS doing?

jasoncrh

Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:37 am

No. AA has NOT been flying DENLAX for 20+ years. I have timetables from 1990, 1991, 1992 that I just checked to verify. they did not fly those routes then. They started it when they acquired RenoAir.

LAX is a money pit for AA.

You're right about NRTSEA though

Quoting mah4546 (Reply 33):
do wonder if LAX will continue to see more route cutbacks. I thought the recent build-up of AE service to places such as ABQ, DEN, RNO, SMF, and TUS seemed a bit over exuberant on the part of AMR. They are the 4th competitor in the LAX-DEN market. I can see core AE LAX markets like MRY, SAN, and SBA surviving, but I do question how long the more recent additions will fare throughout the restructuring. Ditto for lone frequencies on AA metal to places like BWI and EWR...

LAXDEN isn't new. AA has been flying that for 20+ years. Overall, the new LAX flying is working and there are plans for more. But additional flying is contingent on a new LAX CR7 base, and I believe that is on hold for now. I have heard the best performer is LAXTUS, thanks to AA having strong corporate travel agreements in the Tucson area. LAXSLC has also been a strong performer.

commavia

Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:55 am

Quoting JasonCRH (Reply 44):
They started it when they acquired RenoAir.

Later, actually.

LAX-DEN began on July 2, 2000 with three daily round-trip MD80s. The Reno Air acquisition was completed, and Reno Air integrated, on August 31, 1999, almost one full year earlier.

Source?

ATCGOD

Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:17 pm

Quoting ridgid727 (Reply 40):

What is Seaports pull out date from IDA and BOI. I have not heard about this one.

They tweeted it a few days ago. Last flight to both destinations will be 12/31/11. It's on their Facebook page.

crAAzy

Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:26 pm

Quoting commavia (Reply 45):
Source?

I thought a.net was a source ... LOL

Wow. According to everyone on a.net the following hubs are money pits for AA:

ORD
JFK/LGA
now LAX

I guess we'll find out over the course of the next year.

SurfandSnow

Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:15 pm

Everything else they added as part of that expansion was simply "connecting the dots"; that is to say, linking several of AA's existing Western and heartland markets to the LAX cornerstone hub. Such additions made sense as they provided feed for the burgeoning hub operation, but perhaps more importantly, enabled loyal AA customers in markets [significantly west of DFW] like ABQ, TUS, SLC, and SMF to enjoy seamless one-stop access to places like Hawaii, NRT, and Australia for the first time.

And then there was BOI. It was the wildcard, a bold attempt (experiment?) at adding a station to the AA network exclusively from LAX. There are only a handful of markets that AA only serves from LAX, comprised solely of small Californian and Hawaiian markets that cannot be viably served from DFW (MRY, SBA, KOA, and LIH). However, all of those are high-yielding niche destinations, and all but SBA have significant O&D demand from the actual LA market itself. BOI is neither high-yielding (thanks to a healthy WN presence) nor in high demand from LA.

I imagine AA was probably counting on the AS/QX FF base to help fill the flight, but that carrier's own inability to make LAX-BOI work should have been a telling sign of what would happen. Challenging UA, which enjoys superior feed at LAX and longstanding loyalty at BOI, never made much sense to me.

I guess we can now put to rest the rumors of other LAX-only stations coming online, of which GEG was frequently suggested/mentioned. Now, that is not to say that AA shouldn't keep expanding the RJ stuff from LAX. I would think a resumption of former AA mainline routes to COS, TUL, and SAT with RJ equipment makes perfect sense. I could also see ski markets (HDN, GUC, DRO, etc.) doing well. If they really want to be bold, they could add some Mexican routes - however, that seems to be UA/CO's forte, seeing as how *ALL* of AA's LAX-Latin America routes (with the exception of the gringo LAX-SJD route) have failed.

What AA flyers?    It's not like the airline has tremendous local loyalty/support after two brief attempts at serving BOI. I suppose those that insist on taking "AA" to BOI will be put on AS/QX, but that means a double-connection and backtracking for just about everyone. I would think most people headed to BOI will simply opt for the likes of DL, UA, and WN as they always have...

Quoting FutureUScapt (Reply 32):
On that same day, AA (Eagle) will also be ending DFW-FAY and ORD-YYC.

No surprises there either. DFW-FAY is an incredibly long, thin route, and ORD-YYC has come to be dominated by UA. Folks in Fayetteville can easily drive to RDU to catch AA. YYC is still served from DFW, and given the Alberta-Texas oil connection, probably makes a killing based on strong business O&D. ORD was probably mostly just low-yielding tourist/VFR traffic and connections.

Ironically enough, when I flew the ORD-YYC route back in 1999-2000 (spent the Millennium New Years at Chateau Lake Louise) UA was not serving YYC from ORD, just DEN and SFO. AC and AA were the ones flying ORD-YYC, with mainline equipment of course. Now, UA has run both those carriers off the route!
Flying in the middle seat of coach is much better than not flying at all!

slcdeltarumd11

Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:48 pm

Quoting SurfandSnow (Reply 48):
I guess we can now put to rest the rumors of other LAX-only stations coming online, of which GEG was frequently suggested/mentioned. Now, that is not to say that AA shouldn't keep expanding the RJ stuff from LAX. I would think a resumption of former AA mainline routes to COS, TUL, and SAT with RJ equipment makes perfect sense. I could also see ski markets (HDN, GUC, DRO, etc.)

Yeah a market like COS i think is begging for AAEagle to jump into from LAX. For the ski markets AA has a ton of ski traffic but remember they don't want to cannibalize their own LAX-EGE/ASE/SLC/DEN too much either/