alberchico
Topic Author

Woman Walks Into Plane's Propeller....

Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:05 am

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...ad-brain-injuries-article-1.987226

How could this have happened ? even if it was a private aircraft the pilot should have shut the engines down or at least briefed the passengers on avoiding the propeller before exiting.
short summary of every jewish holiday: they tried to kill us ,we won , lets eat !

nutsaboutplanes

RE: Woman Walks Into Plane's Propeller....

Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:11 am

Wow, she was lucky to have survived this accident. I didn't see any mention of an aircraft type and there was very little on the actual details that led up to her encounter with the prop. It will be interesting to hear a more detailed account of what happened.
American Airlines, US Airways, Alaska Airlines, Northwest Airlines, America West Airlines, USAFR

Yellowstone

Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:34 am

Here's another link:

http://www.myfoxdfw.com/dpp/news/Pla...uggs-Hit-by-Plane-Propeller-120511

The aircraft in question was an Aviat Husky.
Hydrogen is an odorless, colorless gas which, given enough time, turns into people.

ghifty

Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:37 am

What an unfortunate event.. at least she's recovering.

WHo is at fault neither article seems to say..
Fly Delta Jets

Luftymatt

Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:45 am

Quoting ghifty (Reply 3):

Well the woman is going to have to take some responsibility, unless someone forced her into the prop.
chase the sun

TWA772LR

Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:50 am

I heard this on the radio when I woke up this morning.

Quoting LuftyMatt (Reply 4):
Well the woman is going to have to take some responsibility, unless someone forced her into the prop.

Or the pilot that should have waited to open the door AFTER the props were done spinning.

Either way, I wish her a fast recovery.
Beauty is watching a 787 bank to make a short final. Bliss is watching that 787 with a good beer. Nirvana is all of that with a beautiful woman on your side.

Mir

Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:36 am

Quoting TWA772LR (Reply 5):
Or the pilot that should have waited to open the door AFTER the props were done spinning.

I'd never open a door with an engine running unless the engine in question were on the other side of the airplane and the pax would have no chance of walking near it. This isn't a turboprop where the thing might keep spinning for a bit after you shut it down - piston engines stop right away.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

rjm777ual

Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:41 am

Ouch! Did she just not hear the loud propeller right next to her?
Greetings from Dulles!

PM

Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:50 am

Anyone feel a lawsuit coming on...?  

n6238p

Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:56 am

To actively root against anybody is just low, and I hope karma comes back at you with a vengeance

NWADC9

Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:27 am

Quoting rjm777ual (Reply 7):

Planes are noisy creatures, and a moving prop is hard to see during the day, and darn near impossible to see at night when this accident occurred.

Quoting LuftyMatt (Reply 4):

I'd put all the blame on the pilot in command. Anyone in their right mind would shut the engine down before deplaning/enplaning, especially in poor lighting conditions.
Flying an aeroplane with only a single propeller to keep you in the air. Can you imagine that? -Capt. Picard

N766UA

Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:34 am

It doesn't sound like anyone involved was exercising particularly stellar judgement.
This Website Censors Me

bluejuice

Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:37 am

Wow, that is horrible.

My CFI taught me to always treat a propeller, even when not spinning, as a hot propeller. Just takes a badly grounded p-lead for the prop to spin up with little warning. Anyone flying with me are given "safe" areas around the plane to stand in until they have been cleared by me. By treating the area near an engine with respect, the chances of such an accident is significantly reduced.

ferminbrif

Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:04 am

Quoting TWA772LR (Reply 5):
Or the pilot that should have waited to open the door AFTER the props were done spinning

I totally agree!!

What a terrible event. I´m sorry for this young lady, I wish her a fast recovery. Nevertheless, how in the world can somebody walk so close to a spinning propeller??. It just a matter of common sense.

mayor

Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:18 am

When I worked on the DL freighter crew at ORD in the 70s, I was always apprehensive when working around the L-100. When it came in and parked, you had to open the crew door, run up the steps, grab the nose gear pin, run back down and pin the nose gear. The door wasn't as close as on some smaller turboprops, but it was close enough to make you aware with the prop still spinning.
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

eaglewarrior

Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:27 am

It is a good thing that the prop just hit her from the side. Had she walked squarely into it she probably would not have survived.

ThirtyEcho

Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:20 am

This is pilot error plain and simple. Non pilots are just not aware of the dangers of a prop and an accident can easily happen. Don't let your passenger even open the door until the prop has stopped and don't keep one engine running on a twin while people are exiting.

kiwiandrew

Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:24 am

Quoting Nutsaboutplanes (Reply 1):
Wow, she was lucky to have survived this accident

Given the injuries she has apparently sustained that remains to be seen, if the head injuries and brain damage are severe then she might have been luckier not to have survived  . Hopefully they aren't too bad and she can make a good recovery.

IanatSTN

Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:23 am

Quoting kiwiandrew (Reply 17):
Given the injuries she has apparently sustained that remains to be seen, if the head injuries and brain damage are severe then she might have been luckier not to have survived . Hopefully they aren't too bad and she can make a good recovery.

As horrible a situation as it is for everyone involved, I think you may be right. Its hard to start passing blame on without knowing all the finer details, but how unfortunate for such an event to occur that will change this girls life forever.
Ian@STN ::

s5daw

Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:35 am

Quoting rjm777ual (Reply 7):

As somebody who (as a child) put his finger through a model airplane prop: yes, you hear it but hell, you don't see it. And we rely 90% on our eyesight.

A friend of mine has seen a medic walking directly into rear helicopter prop. Beheaded of course.

This woman was VERY lucky. Props are dangerous as hell.

tsnamm

Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:09 pm

There was an incident on the EWR ramp about 10 years ago where a member of the ground crew/ramp walked into a spinning prop of a NW airlink flight. A friend of mine worked there at the time and said it was quite like the scene in the Indiana Jones movie...worse yet passengers were also still on the plane as as the blood and all spattered the windows it was really horrible...this woman should count herself lucky as it could have been much worse....

malioil

Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:16 pm

This is a very unfortunate incident and she is lucky to be alive. It is the Captain's fault for not shutting the engine on the side of the aircraft that the passengers would deplane from.

In the 1970s when my father was an engineer on base for BA and GF here in BAH a mid-aged man was sliced clean in half by a propeller on a Skyvan- the pilot had forgotten to shut down the engine. It is very unfortunate when a loss occurs through happenings such as these, as it would seem to be a very basic mistake.

93Sierra

Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:13 pm

I'm confused as how this happened, a husky sits tandem and she was probably in the front seat, exited through the only entrance on the right side.....
Not trying to be morbid but do you think the pilot realized that she walked into the prop? Would there be a loud noise?

beechnut

Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:09 pm

Quoting malioil (Reply 21):
This is a very unfortunate incident and she is lucky to be alive. It is the Captain's fault for not shutting the engine on the side of the aircraft that the passengers would deplane from.

Being an Aviat Husky there's only one engine. Proper airmanship (with piston engines) is that you don't let passengers disembark until:

1) you do a dead mags check
2) you pull the mixture to stop the engine
3) you turn off the magnetos.

I'm afraid the pilot is going to have to answer some questions on this one.

Beech

JHCRJ700

Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:25 pm

Quoting ghifty (Reply 3):

The PIC is ultimately responsible for the safe operation of his aircraft and for the saftey of his passengers. There is also no requirement to shut down the engine to allow passengers to embark or dissembark. I always shut down when people exit or enter my aircraft. I'd blame the pilot for some of it. He should have shut down or at least said "hey go around the back of the plane." Ultimately though it was her poor judgement to walk in front of the plane.
RUSH

26point2

Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:10 pm

A story out this morning quotes her father who thinks perhaps after exiting the plane she might have turned back to thank the pilot and walked into the prop. Very sad.

starrion

Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:02 pm

Quoting NWADC9 (Reply 10):
I'd put all the blame on the pilot in command. Anyone in their right mind would shut the engine down before deplaning/enplaning, especially in poor lighting conditions.

The only person that can be blamed is the PIC. Passengers have no idea about this stuff unless you tell them. It is always your responsibility as a PIC to protect your passengers.

My Flight instructor hopped out of our C172 to get a clipboard during a biannual and I cut the engine. He came back and was aggravated, and I told him that I always did that period for this very reason.
Knowledge Replaces Fear

axelesgg

Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:19 pm

Happened in Sweden also not a long time ago. As we say, a turning propeller is invisible!

http://www.dn.se/nyheter/sverige/kvinna-skadad-av-flygplanspropeller
(In swedish, but I guess you can translate it with google   )
Fly Draganair

57AZ

Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:00 pm

Unfortunate and the PIC has ultimate legal responsibility. This is the reason that carriers have WATCH FOR PROPELLERS painted in large letters on the island. Sloppy airmanship on the part of one person often make things harder on the rest of us who do things right.
"When a man runs on railroads over half of his lifetime he is fit for nothing else-and at times he don't know that."

taieridrome

Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:03 pm

Just the other day I was trying to recall the name of the Australian pro golfer who many years ago lost an arm (and other injuries to I think) after he walked into a spinning prop. Anyone remember his name? I know he carried on to have a very successful career as a dinner speaker and doing corporate type golf days.

PlaneInsomniac

Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:07 pm

How come everybody here is so quick to blame the pilot? We literally don't know anything about how this accident happened. How can we be sure that the woman did not, for instance, misunderstand, ignore or even intentionally disobey the pilot's instructions? She would not have been the first passenger to get out of her seat without waiting for a word from the pilot as soon as the plane stopped. I'm not saying I believe that's what happened - but how can we know, given the lack of information?

Now we are already starting to hear things like these:

Quoting 26point2 (Reply 25):
A story out this morning quotes her father who thinks perhaps after exiting the plane she might have turned back to thank the pilot and walked into the prop. Very sad.

If this is the case, the pilot may have instructed her correctly, and her exit from the plane may have been entirely uneventful. It is even possible that the engine was off when she exited, and then she returned later, when the pilot had started it again.
Am I cured? Slept 5 hours on last long-haul flight...

flyingturtle

Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:25 pm

There's also the sad story of a man who held up his infant child after deboarding his helicopter.

Don't know where and when that happened, but I have a faint memory of having read about that accident.  
Keeping calm is terrorism against those who want to live in fear.

radicaldudejom

Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:06 pm

This reminds me of an incident the other day when at the gym, I walked right next to a man jump-roping and didn't even see the rope. I got whipped pretty bad. The peripheral vision of most people is not quite in tune enough to see things like props and jump-ropes when you are not fully concentrated. For all we know, she could have been talking on a phone or just tired from a flight. I for one was tired from working out and my brain just wasn't functioning at 100% at that exact moment.
Sometimes, your cards aren't worth a dime, if you don't lay them down.

radicaldudejom

Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:12 pm

Taieridrome-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Newton

Jack Newton was the Australian golfer who was nearly killed by the prop
Sometimes, your cards aren't worth a dime, if you don't lay them down.

bennett123

Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:39 pm

Planesinsomniac

Unless there was a significant interval between her leaving and being hit then that does not make sense.

Besides, if she was standing directly in front, or certainly within about 5 foot of the centre line, surely he would have seen her before switching on.

EDICHC

Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:54 pm

Quoting ferminbrif (Reply 13):
Nevertheless, how in the world can somebody walk so close to a spinning propeller??. It just a matter of common sense.

You would have thought so but the words common sense and general public are rarely, if ever, found in the same sentence as aircraft. First lesson I was taught in ramp safety both at my aero-club and in ramp training at LC many moons ago.
A300/319/320/346 ATR72 B722/732/3/4/5/6/8/742/4/752/762/3/772/3 BAC111 BAe146 C172 DHC1/6/8 HS121 MD80 PA28

cytz_pilot

Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:59 pm

Quoting PlaneInsomniac (Reply 30):

How come everybody here is so quick to blame the pilot? We literally don't know anything about how this accident happened. How can we be sure that the woman did not, for instance, misunderstand, ignore or even intentionally disobey the pilot's instructions? She would not have been the first passenger to get out of her seat without waiting for a word from the pilot as soon as the plane stopped. I'm not saying I believe that's what happened - but how can we know, given the lack of information?

I hear you there, that we don't know all the details, but the fact of the matter is, any business that deals with aviation is going to have a set of specific safety procedures to ensure that things like this don't happen. Passengers are (generally) not around aircraft and airports enough to have full situational awareness of the specific dangers surrounding them, and that's why safety procedures need to be enforced by flight crews.

bueb0g

Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:21 pm

Quoting flyingturtle (Reply 31):
There's also the sad story of a man who held up his infant child after deboarding his helicopter.

Holy hell... the most tragic thing I've ever heard...
Roger roger, what's our vector, victor?

zippyjet

Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:38 pm

Is this the same story as the one I half heard where the woman was skydiving or gliding and this accident occurred mid-air.
I hope she's OK if this is the same story.
I'm Zippyjet & I approve of this message!

tsnamm

Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:18 am

I finally found the specific incident on the NTSB website...needless to say a horrible accident, and grisly to boot....

http://www.ntsb.gov/aviationquery/br...211X13697&ntsbno=BFO94LA002&akey=1

when working around engines turning either prop or jet, caution must always be the first priority, the slightest error can be fatal.