wjcandee
Topic Author

Baldwin Thrown Off AA Flight In LAX

Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:12 pm

Looks like airlines are finally getting tough with people who don't listen when asked nicely to do what the rest of us do as a matter of mere manners:

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/nationa...f_flight_at_ikgro0tlAWEveH4IMoa4YK

Although it doesn't say it in the linked article, the NY Post "Breaking" scrolling headline said that it was for refusing to turn off a cell phone.

[Edited 2011-12-06 14:13:22]

SEA

RE: Baldwin Thrown Off AA Flight In LAX

Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:14 pm

Good example for those who refuse to put their phones away.

OTOH, I've been on a flight with Alec Baldwin (LAX-ASE) in OO's first class and he was a gentleman to the flight attendants. Always said "please" and "thank you" to any requests. I guess we all have bad days.

ikramerica

Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:30 pm

Contrarian view here.

The regulation to turn off all electronic devices and sit still like kindergartners as soon as the cabin door is closed, even if you are held at the gate without moving for an hour, is stupidity.

It is not an issue of safety, but of poorly thought rule wording. After all, the same rule doesn't apply after landing and while taxiing after landing, only before takeoff. Would be interesting to find out who was the party advocating the timing of this rule as it was created/commented/approved, whether it was the FAA or the airlines. Even if it's a matter of interference with navigation, while at the gate, there is no navigation, no movement, etc.

The rule should be amended to that no aircraft may PUSH BACK from the gate until all electronic devices are turned off. That accounts for holds and delays everyone has experienced. Alternately the PIC should have discretion to announce a delay/hold and allow pax to use cell phones and computers but be prepared to stow them immediately when he/she says so.

But the way it is currently written, it's one more degrading rule that treats customers like children/criminals in an already stressful situation.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

zippyjet

Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:32 pm

I guess Baldwin was pisse there was no hottie leggy Asian woman giving him a mani. Is this the Baldwin in those Credit Card commercials?
I'm Zippyjet & I approve of this message!

copter808

Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:43 pm

Quoting ikramerica (Reply 2):
It is not an issue of safety, but of poorly thought rule wording. After all, the same rule doesn't apply after landing and while taxiing after landing, only before takeoff.

Why do we always have thes discussions on whether it's a "safety issue" or whether it makes sense? " It makes no difference. He failed to follow the crew's order. He was wrong!!

And on some airlines, the use of phones is prohibited whenever the passenger is on the aircraft--at the gate, taxi, flight, landing, and taxi.

bluejuice

Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:45 pm

Several people I know have worked with Alec Baldwin. To put it diplomatically, he is difficult and self entitled. Their description of him are significantly less family friendly. Kudos to the FAs.

zippyjet

Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:46 pm

Quoting BlueJuice (Reply 5):
Several people I know have worked with Alec Baldwin. To put it diplomatically, he is difficult and self entitled. Their description of him are significantly less family friendly. Kudos to the FAs.

He can go to rehab and say the crew took advantage of his sex, drug, liquor or whatever addiction of the day is popular.

ikramerica

Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:49 pm

Quoting copter808 (Reply 4):
Why do we always have thes discussions on whether it's a "safety issue" or whether it makes sense? " It makes no difference. He failed to follow the crew's order. He was wrong!!

Where did I ever say he was right? Tell me...

I was pointing out the stupidity of the rule. His actions were stupid as well. They aren't mutually exclusive...

ikramerica

Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:50 pm

And on some airlines, the use of phones is prohibited whenever the passenger is on the aircraft--at the gate, taxi, flight, landing, and taxi.

Which airlines? Not any in the USA I've ever been on...

gigneil

Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:50 pm

Yeah, as usual handing a blank check to the crew to do whatever they want.

Yes, he should have done what he was told. That doesn't mean what he was told was right.

On United, when you have even a tarmac delay they quickly announce please use your cell phones. So this was, as is often the case, an FA who no doubt wanted to feel better than someone famous, which I have seen leaving LA on many occasions.

I'm extra grumpy because of a series of flights last night with US East employees both on ground and in air that were practically downright rude to every single passenger on board for no reason and without provocation. There was one exception, and she was great.

NS

LONGisland89

Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:01 pm

Quoting BlueJuice (Reply 5):
Several people I know have worked with Alec Baldwin. To put it diplomatically, he is difficult and self entitled.

As are most Long Islanders.   

USAIRWAYS321

Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:07 pm

It's ok...he's played a pilot before.

slvrblt

Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:31 pm

The regulation to turn off all electronic devices and sit still like kindergartners as soon as the cabin door is closed, even if you are held at the gate without moving for an hour, is stupidity.

It's a good point; and is asinine when you're on the ground or still at a gate. But I have seen and heard some experts on avionics and electronics discussion that have say it IS possible for SOME types of personal electronic devices to throw off the navigation systems of aircraft. I don't really want to be on a plane on an ILS CAT3 approach that thinks it's landing on an airport runway and is in fact landing itself on a freeway a few hundred yards away from the airport. However unlikely it may be.

And let's face it, the instant you touch down, part of the canned arrival flight attendant announcements always say, ''it is now safe to use personal electronic devices.''
..everything works out in the end.

copter808

Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:31 pm

Quoting ikramerica (Reply 7):
Where did I ever say he was right? Tell me...

I didn't say YOU said he was right. I just said HE was wrong!

Quoting ikramerica (Reply 7):
I was pointing out the stupidity of the rule. His actions were stupid as well. They aren't mutually exclusive...

The "rule" was that he failed to obey the flight crew. That sounds like a pretty good rule to me. One which needs no changes! The use of the phone was the reason the flight crew issued the order to stop. The time to debate whether or not the command, rule, whatever was proper is after the flight, not during the flight. The only exceptions would be something that would obviously place property or lives in jeapordy. No one will be harmed by shutting off the darned phone!

davescj

Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:37 pm

I say well done AA. FWIW, I've had my flights delayed because people refused to get of the phone. Drives me crazy.

That said, in my experience, if it is known that the push back delay will be lengthy, I've often heard a crew tell people it is OK to use electronics.

Dave
Can I have a mojito on this flight?

copter808

Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:45 pm

Quoting ikramerica (Reply 8):
Which airlines? Not any in the USA I've ever been on...

I don't recall, it may well have been in Asia though. I recall Philippine airlines would not let me make a call while we were at the gate with the door open.

I quite agree that a rule prohibiting use of cell phones on the ground (gate,taxi, and taxi again) may not be a safety issue, but that decision is not mine to make.

copter808

Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:53 pm

Quoting gigneil (Reply 9):

No, it is not. They will have to justify their actions after the fact. Arguing their command when issued is foolish and may be unsafe!!

Yes, he should have done what he was told.

Then we agree! I'm not at issue about the use of the cell phone. The issue is failure to comply with the flight crew's request.

sevenfeet

Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:07 am

We can all debate the sensibility of the rule. But for now, it is an FAA rule and it's the job of the F/As to enforce it. They can be disciplined if they don't enforce it. And while I'm on the subject, it burns me to no end that a lot of the violations of the electronic device policy sit up front. As a Delta Diamond flyer, I see it all the time. Yes, we're the best customers but often we're the same self-entitled class that feels we can bend or even flaunt the rules about this. Usually if the F/As know someone is using one on the tarmac, they try to enforce the policy by re-announcing the issue on the P/A system. If they see it during the safety checks, they will politely enforce the policy.

Even after that, some people can still think the rules don't apply to them.

fxramper

Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:25 am

Another glorified FA that is upset about her 14 hr day and reduced benefits and pension. Taking out frustrations on passengers that buy full fare tickets multiple times a month is a stupid thing to do. Glad an AA manager got involved at LAX and promptly booked Baldwin on the next flight.

[Edited 2011-12-06 16:26:57]

threepoint

Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:33 am

Sad really, when the bulk of the news story consisted of what other people had to tweet about. Journalism is indeed almost dead.
The nice thing about a mistake is the pleasure it gives others.

HALFA

Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:47 am

Quoting fxramper (Reply 19):
Another glorified FA that is upset about her 14 hr day and reduced benefits and pension. Taking out frustrations on passengers that buy full fare tickets multiple times a month is a stupid thing to do. Glad an an AA manager got involved at LAX and promptly booked Baldwin on the next flight.

Wow! Were we reading the same article? You were able to gain so much more information about this incident from the NY Post article linked by the OP? Amazing! I have read and re-read the article and no where does it state the gender of the flight attendant involved, nor does it state the flight attendant involved was working a 14 hour day. Nor does it state that the flight attendant involved was taking out frustrations on passengers, perhaps because the flight attendant involved was merely doing what is required by federal law and that is making sure that electronic devices are turned off prior to gate departure? You were even able to surmise that an AA manager promptly helped Mr. Baldwin book the next flight to JFK. I guess I missed that one too. Again, just amazing!

HALFA
HA J Class Lie flats, coming soon to a plane near you........

jetjack74

Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:01 am

The next Capital One commercial:

"It's ok, I've played an A-hole on TV"
Made from jets!

N62NA

Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:02 am

Quoting fxramper (Reply 18):
Glad an an AA manager got involved at LAX and promptly booked Baldwin on the next flight.

They should have booked him in coach.  

davescj

Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:21 am

I do like the fact that BA has banned a couple of celebrities for failing to follow safety rules. It shows they are even handed in their approach.
Can I have a mojito on this flight?

United727

Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:52 am

Quoting threepoint (Reply 20):
Sad really, when the bulk of the news story consisted of what other people had to tweet about. Journalism is indeed almost dead.

I guess the F/A's missed the fact that other phones were apparently on as well. Thus the "other Tweets" that this individual commented on. How were these other tweets made, if ALL electronic devices were off????         

Did I miss something in the article as to how others got away sending messages? Was Mr. Baldwin singled out?

gigneil

Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:53 am

Quoting copter808 (Reply 16):
I'm not at issue about the use of the cell phone. The issue is failure to comply with the flight crew's request.

Sure. He didn't comply. That doesn't make the FA right, and you know it.

Someone has to stand up to FA's power tripping. Now he's made it clear he's taking his business to United, and that is an immeasurable loss for American.

His 1.2 million twitter followers don't care that you think he's an ass.

I GUARANTEE an episode of 30 Rock will cover this topic. Which will make it even worse for American.

This wasn't a drunk celebrity throwing a raging fit. He was playing a game while being subjected to an hour long gate delay. There's no excuse for the FA's behavior. He should never have been asked to turn it off Which leads me back to:

NS

United727

Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:59 am

Quoting gigneil (Reply 26):
Now he's made it clear he's taking his business to United!

What? Where's that written in this article?

gigneil

Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:03 am

Quoting United727 (Reply 27):
What? Where's that written in this article?

The world exists outside this website and this thread. Start with his Twitter.

NS

HALFA

Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:23 am

There's no excuse for the FA's behavior. He should never have been asked to turn it off

I have not seen other accounts of this incident so I only have the NY Post link provided by the OP to reference, but if the gate delay was coming to an end, and the captain instructs the crew to prepare for departure, then he absolutely should have been asked to turn his phone off. The flight attendant was doing his/her job. We can be fined by the FAA for failing to comply with regulations, which include all electronic devices be switched off and stowed away prior to aircraft movement. We're not mind readers. We can't always predict when the aircraft will be released by ATC. If the captain asks us to prepare for departure then we will do as instructed, which includes all passengers, including celebrities with 1,000,000+ twitter followers   , have their phones turned off. You can call it a power trip. I'll call it doing what I'm paid to do.
End of story.

HALFA
HA J Class Lie flats, coming soon to a plane near you........

andz

Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:25 am

After all, the same rule doesn't apply after landing and while taxiing after landing

It does here.

"Cellular phones must remain switched off until we have opened the aircraft door"

I am sure that many people get caught out by the inconsistency of rules between different countries or airlines. How many people actually listen to the announcements anyway? Regular fliers mostly dial them out.
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

rjm777ual

Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:31 am

As if AA isn't in enough trouble already...is he planning to sue? Because if he did, that would be pointless. he knew the rules, and should have just put it away when they asked him to.
Greetings from Dulles!

gigneil

Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:35 am

Quoting HALFA (Reply 29):
I have not seen other accounts of this incident so I only have the NY Post link provided by the OP to reference, but if the gate delay was coming to an end, and the captain instructs the crew to prepare for departure, then he absolutely should have been asked to turn his phone off.

I totally concur with that as an analysis. Other random accounts I've heard indicated that it was mid delay.

If the gate delay was over and it was time to go, and he refused, then yeah f*#& him.

NS

jc2354

Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:54 am

Life would be so much simpler if, as part of the taxi checklist, they could just flip a switch to disable cell phone signals.
If not now, then when?

zippyjet

Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:58 am

Quoting jc2354 (Reply 33):
Life would be so much simpler if, as part of the taxi checklist, they could just flip a switch to disable cell phone signals.

Can you hear me? Can you hear me now?"

BCEaglesCO757

Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:18 am

Just read his tweets about the flight on yahoo.

Man....what an pompus A$$.

And people wonder why the Jetblue FA damn near wanted to kill someone,hahahaha.

nethkt

Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:23 am

Oh, not the youngest Baldwin on Gossip Girl? I really like him.
Let him talk on the phone. It doesn't make any difference to flight safety!
Let's just blame it on yields.

mirrodie

Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:25 am

Contrarian view here.

Yep!

Quoting United727 (Reply 25):

Did I miss something in the article as to how others got away sending messages? Was Mr. Baldwin singled out?

Great question!!!

Saw his twittered messages. Likening the FAs to 1950s gym teachers.......
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

mogandoCI

Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:29 am

If AA treat celebrities (the ones who pay full fare F) like this ... I just can't imagine how the treat regular customers

He's only using a phone to play games for heaven's sake, not talking on it or getting drunk and restless ... Geeez .... Talk about a nobody (the a-hole FA) trying to act like somebody

Feel sorry for SAG signing long term contract with them and have to put up with this type of "service"

wjcandee
Topic Author

Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:31 am

Well...

The quoted tweets were to the effect that "Alec Baldwin just got thrown off the plane." If that's the case (past tense), then presumably the a/c was back at the gate with the door opened to allow Mr. Baldwin to be ejected from the aircraft.

lightsaber
Crew

Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:40 am

Ok. But it is the rule and the crew must enforce the rule. I dislike the rule, but I've complied. I must have been asked a half dozen times to turn off my phone.

Exactly. The crew must follow FAA rules. What's next, don't bother to secure carts?

In general, FAs must ask ten to twelve people to turn off their phones and will miss 2 to 4 per flight.
If I'm not putting my phone in my hand, how would the FA know if it was on? If the individual in question was talking, texting, or having the phone ring, the FAs must comply with the rules. Once distracted, I could pull out my phone and be on twitter in seconds... Wouldn't you if you were a witness?

Quoting threepoint (Reply 20):

Yep.  

Lightsaber
"They did not know it was impossible, so they did it!" - Mark Twain

milesrich

Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:47 am

Quoting ikramerica (Reply 8):

Yes, he should have done what he was told. That doesn't mean what he was told was right.

On United, when you have even a tarmac delay they quickly announce please use your cell phones. So this was, as is often the case, an FA who no doubt wanted to feel better than someone famous, which I have seen leaving LA on many occasions.
Quoting fxramper (Reply 18):
Another glorified FA that is upset about her 14 hr day and reduced benefits and pension. Taking our frustrations on passengers that pay full fare tickets multiple times a month is a stupid thing to do. Glad an an AA manager got involved at LAX and promptly booked Baldwin on the next flight.

The gloried Flight Attendant quote is probably to most accurate. If removing him from the flight was such a great idea, American would have told him to fly UA or DL to JFK. I am supportive of flight crews and their labor troubles, but this case is illustrative of someone with a badge and power and no common sense.

TWA772LR

Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:08 am

I guess we wanted to reenact the commercial he recently did! 
But seriously, he isn't above anyone and should follow the rules we all do. Thanks to the FA for serving him some humble pie.
And for my next miracle, I'm gonna turn water into funk!

DashTrash

Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:12 am

Oughta be riding on Netjets anyway......

Ldriver

Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:13 am

The differing opinions I've read here all make a certain amount of sense given the assumptions we don't know about. If departure was imminent, and the F/A is required by law to put the rule into effect, why should anyone argue with her? The article quoted one passenger saying the plane had to return to the gate to let Mr. Baldwin off. If true, waht does that tell you?

ozark1

Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:25 am

I cannot locate Flight 4 as having returned to the gate anytime this week, so perhaps the story is a bit overblown (imagine that!).

zippyjet

Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:25 am

Quoting Ldriver (Reply 44):
The differing opinions I've read here all make a certain amount of sense given the assumptions we don't know about. If departure was imminent, and the F/A is required by law to put the rule into effect, why should anyone argue with her? The article quoted one passenger saying the plane had to return to the gate to let Mr. Baldwin off. If true, waht does that tell you?

Quoting TWA772LR (Reply 42):
I guess we wanted to reenact the commercial he recently did!
But seriously, he isn't above anyone and should follow the rules we all do. Thanks to the FA for serving him some humble pie.

Let me accompany that lithe young leggy Asian hottie. I won't even demand that mani/pedi!   

boilerla

Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:09 am

Not excusing Alec Baldwin, but…

Quote:

...he was playing a game on his phone apparently past the point when passengers are supposed to have turned off their devices.

and then...

Quote:

Fellow passengers stuck on the runway at Los Angeles International Airport quickly tweeted about the incident moments after it took place.

um.....yeah.

The rule is rather arbitrary, and many passengers (not just celebrities) ignore it. My last flight my seat mate was texting the entire time during takeoff, and probably until around 8000 ft when his cell phone lost its connection. Everyone does it.

CRFLY

Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:17 am

Why is it always AA on the news? WHY IS IT ALWAYS AMERICAN AIRLINES??? Is it the way the crew approaches the passengers, as they were in a concentration camp, with a high military attitude of superiority and treating customers like children and/or criminals, in an already stressful situation as someone just said? Seriously, I've never experienced such an unprofessional and rude attitude on any other airline around the world, it is just always on AA... I think the top guys in Dallas should not be thinking just on how to emerge from Chapter 11, but how to reinvent themselves and their rude employees to deliver a "world class service" and stop misstreating the ultimate bosses: the clients... the ones that pay for their salaries!

I stopped flying AA a couple of years ago, as their extensive delays, unprofessional employees and crews and old dirty planes were getting in my nerves, but these news going on and on and on are just ridiculous! Maybe they should follow EA and PA and disappear, letting great airlines that really know how to deliver service, do the job!

In this particular case, once again, the F/A comes with the old speech they just love... "Everyone is the same here and the ones that don't follow rules are out of here..." well, she is going to be out of her planes is AA bites the dust... Please... I thought they were trained to deal with difficult costumers, not to just kick people out of planes, when they are other possible solutions and ways to fly safe while keeping your costumers happy....
With Age comes Wisdom...

jetjack74

Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:23 am

Quoting CRFLY (Reply 48):
Why is it always AA on the news? WHY IS IT ALWAYS AMERICAN AIRLINES???

Cus it's their time. Years ago, It was Northwest, United, Delta. American is the new whipping-boy. Someday, it will be Southwest and jetBlue's turn
Made from jets!

MAH4546

Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:31 am

Now he's made it clear he's taking his business to United, and that is an immeasurable loss for American.

He'll take his business to United the same day NBC switches their business to United. In other words, he's back on AA for his next flight.
a.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos