tcasalert

CWL-VLY-CWL - Why So Weather Dependent?

Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:31 am

Have been noticing over the last couple of weeks the Manx2 CWL-VLY-CWL has been either delayed or cancelled on most days due to the weather. This is interesting as its the only Manx2 flight that seems to be regularly affected by the adverse weather, all others generally run OK.

Is there any particular reason for this, something peculiar to VLY maybe?

Cheers
Noel
Next flight: Feb 2012 - BHX-CPH-BHX - SK MD87 / CRJ900

Clydenairways

RE: CWL-VLY-CWL - Why So Weather Dependent?

Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:59 am

i've no charts to hand to check this, but perhaps the airport has no ILS installed. This would cause a higher cloudbase minima.

flyingalex

Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:29 am

Quoting clydenairways (Reply 1):
i've no charts to hand to check this, but perhaps the airport has no ILS installed. This would cause a higher cloudbase minima.

I don't have access to charts at the moment either, but I think you're correct. From what I've been able to find so far, it seems all they've got on site is a TACAN and an NDB 11 miles away that looks like it's in roughly the right direction to use as an approach aid for RWY32.

I suppose you could combine those into an NDB/DME approach, but the minimum would probably still be fairly high.
Public service announcement: "It's" = "it is". To indicate posession, write "its." Looks wrong, but it's correct grammar

tcasalert

Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:31 am

Quoting clydenairways (Reply 1):

According to the RAF runway 14 has ILS:

http://www.raf.mod.uk/rafvalley/flyinginfo/airfield.cfm

Which would make sense for the cancellation as a landing on 14 today would result in a rather speedy 47kt tailwind!

Although visibility is currently clear and a cloud base of 1500ft, so a visual approach should be possible.....

vv701

Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:41 pm

The weather in the northern Irish Sea has been extremely stormy over the last severakl weeks. As a result the BBC have reported efforts by the Isle of Man to fly in emergency supplies:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-isle-of-man-16068391

I beliveve this weather has been pretty persistent for around a month having first been reported on 11 November. And, of course, if it is severely impacting the Isle of Man it is also likely to impact Anglesey.

tcasalert

Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:07 pm

Quoting VV701 (Reply 4):
I beliveve this weather has been pretty persistent for around a month having first been reported on 11 November. And, of course, if it is severely impacting the Isle of Man it is also likely to impact Anglesey.

Thanks VV701, you are correct the weather has been going on for the last few weeks, but my point is that the IOM and BLK flights have for the most part been operating normally (a couple of delays due to fog but thats all). Its only the Anglesey flight that's seen the delays.