hummingbird
Topic Author

Blue Tales A Jammin..Jamaican Thread # 42..

Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:11 pm

Welcome to the 42nd version of our thread....

This thread will once again feature, American L.C.C carrier Jetblue Airways, who recently announced a new service linking KIN and FLL....We will now take a look at the history of Jetblue's services to Jamaica..

May 2009..Jetblue's first flight arrived from JFK into MBJ, with a full compliment..According to officials, MBJ was their most successful launch to date..This winter, flights will peak at 2 daily....With the growth of Jamaica's tourism and VFR market, its only a matter of time before we see a third daily from JFK..

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x315/yardieindubai/197813_10150406371310032_598810031_17461184_5301885_n.jpg

Oct 30, 2009..Touchdown in Kingston...This route was the first VFR route opened in The English Speaking Caribbean...Services operate daily and peaks at twice daily during holiday periods....

Jan 9, 2010..Commencement of the BOS-MBJ service that operated on Sat..This winter, there will be 3 flights a week..Two flights will operate on Sat and one on Wed..

http://i775.photobucket.com/albums/yy32/ArubaBugs/N564JB.jpg

Feb 8, 2010...MCO-MBJ services, which started with their E190..The route started at 4 per week..Services were upgraded to the A320 and now operates daily for most of the year, using the E190 and A320 mix..

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u188/EZY433/JetBlue-1.jpg

April 30, 2012..Commencement of what we consider the biggest boost of traffic to KIN from North America...The FLL-KIN services will operate twice daily with a mix of E190s and A320s..The company plans to upgrade the summer service to a twice daily A320 service and in 2013, a third daily is planned..

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd306/Erin_Tennant/Misc/jetblue_plane.jpg

What does the future hold for B6 in Jamaica??..

Despite the unstable economic climate, Jamaica has been able to consistently achieve tourism growth and with the planned 50th celebrations next year, airlines such as B6 are positioning themselves to increase their loyalty following in the Jamaican market...With their renowned service and worldwide brand, I can see B6 adding more flights from JFK into KIN operating a double daily service year round..
JFK-MBJ may see a year round double daily and a third daily during peak travel
BOS may see an additional service..
MCO may operate daily year round...
No doubt, the next " big" planned announcement will be a FLL service linking MBJ...

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x315/yardieindubai/284061_10150321484290734_510055733_9906776_2576847_n.jpg

Updates:

Jamaica expects to see a fallout in travel from The UK due to the rise in The ADP tax..However, The JTB was optimistic that new seats from South America, France , Italy and Scandinavia will help to mitigate the loss...

Redjet has finally landed in KIN, with their 2 weekly service linking KIN with POS and BGI...At one of their press conferences, Redjet's CEO, mentioned, "they are now working with the JCAA in establishing a base in KIN"..
Another boost for KIN, this combination that will bode well for the city that has plans to become a regional hub..

Final touches are being done for FlyJam's take off, later this month..

VS to operate LGW-MBJ, 4 weekly next year..

More in the old thread..

Splash Of Red..Jamaican Thread 41.. (by hummingbird Sep 16 2011 in Civil Aviation)

[Edited 2011-12-08 08:12:58]
The sky is the limit, but never stop grasping until you get the glory cloud..

A388

RE: Blue Tales A Jammin..Jamaican Thread # 42..

Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:01 pm

I'm sure many of you will like my latest photo addition to the website:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Roger Cannegieter - Curacao Aviation Photography

This was one of the last flights of JM to Curacao, I sure do miss that very tropical livery!!!

A388

andrefranca

Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:03 pm

I also miss JM, I flew from CUR to MBJ, some years ago!

guyanam

Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:58 pm

No word of this FlyJam in New York yet.

GUYAIR707

Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:48 am

Quoting guyanam (Reply 3):

Anything on EZJet?

GUYAIR707

hummingbird
Topic Author

Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:37 pm

Quoting guyanam (Reply 3):
No word of this FlyJam in New York yet.

In due time...

Looks like JALPA pilots who are employed by BW, will strike with 72 hours...I guess things are not as rosy as painted..

Quoting GUYAIR707 (Reply 4):
Anything on EZJet?

They have been approved for the JFK-GEO flights...Flights will operate 6 a week utilizing a B767-200...They will start YYZ next Feb/Mar and are looking at a B757 for the service..

Quote:
EZjet will begin its B767 wide body flights on the evening of 15th December, providing Guyana passengers from and to New York with spacious seating, a generous baggage allowance, and a complimentary in-flight meal and beverages.

Flights will operate six days each week, except Wednesday, departing New York JFK at 10:45 pm and arriving Georgetown at 05:15, then departing Georgetown at 06:30 am arriving New York JFK at 10:30 am.

The operating airline is Dynamic Airways of the US, whose parent, Dynamic Aviation, operates more than 100 aircraft and has been providing air services around the world for the past 75 years.

This Sunday will mark the return of Copa Airlines to MBJ...The return will see a boost of traffic from LAtin and Central America..They have a one year marketing deal with the JTB..

Quote:
COPA is the most connected airline flying from South America in Central America and the Caribbean, and tourism Minister, Ed Bartlett, praised the partnership that is now being developed.

“It is invaluable to us and what it does is to allow for flights to converge on Panama and then from Panama they are taken to Montego Bay, this is one of the most important initiatives to guarantee that the South American market is opened properly for us” he said.

Mr Bartlett says COPA and Jamaica will do joint marketing in the target cities.The advertising support is expected to cost the country half a million U.S. dollars, over the next 12 months.
http://rjrnewsonline.com/news/local/copa-airline-start-flying-jamaica

guyanam

Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:49 pm

Quoting GUYAIR707 (Reply 4):

Havent heard anything of EZJet even though they are supposed to start next week. And I usually hear things connected to NYs Guyanese community

LimaMike

Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:47 am

Thanks for getting another installment of the thread up and running.

Quoting hummingbird (Reply 5):
This Sunday will mark the return of Copa Airlines to MBJ...The return will see a boost of traffic from LAtin and Central America..They have a one year marketing deal with the JTB..

The article mentioned the flight will commence on sunday, what is the other day of operation for this flight?

Quoting hummingbird (Thread starter):

Wonder if they'll eventually consider a MAN-MBJ service as some have speculated?
Cleared for takeoff!

airjamaica

Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:43 am

What does the future hold for B6 in Jamaica??..

From what I see, all things being well.....Growth

4x weekly B744 service to MBJ is quite a decent number of seats, but good to see that they intend to solidify their position at that airport.

Quoting hummingbird (Reply 5):

It is about time. The E190 is perfect for this ( re ) start. How do you like how the news report give the impression that it is the first time CM is touching down on Jamaican soil ? Lol. While I am very excited about their re entry, I am a bit disappointed no GRU-MBJ non stop charter was announced. In due course I guess.

Quoting LimaMike (Reply 7):
Wonder if they'll eventually consider a MAN-MBJ service as some have speculated?

I am still confident they will at some point in the future when they acquire more A330's. But the ( ever increasing ) APD will be a big factor affecting their decision to operate this possible new route, as naturally demand will be impacted. Hope to see even a 1x weekly on it sometime though.

Quoting A388 (Reply 1):
I'm sure many of you will like my latest photo addition to the website:
Quoting A388 (Reply 1):
This was one of the last flights of JM to Curacao, I sure do miss that very tropical livery!!!
Quoting andrefranca (Reply 2):
I also miss JM, I flew from CUR to MBJ, some years ago!

Cool JM photos.
greenheart

hummingbird
Topic Author

Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:16 pm

The article mentioned the flight will commence on sunday, what is the other day of operation for this flight?

On Tues..The officials in Panama are anticipating an increase in services by summer 2012...

Quoting airjamaica (Reply 8):
From what I see, all things being well.....Growth

Am impressed with their growth strategy for Jamaica....I see an opening of a DCA to MBJ routes, once more planes are acquired..

4x weekly B744 service to MBJ is quite a decent number of seats, but good to see that they intend to solidify their position at that airport.

I wonder if they will increase their services to MBJ, once they receive their B787s and the B744 are phased out?

It is about time. The E190 is perfect for this ( re ) start. How do you like how the news report give the impression that it is the first time CM is touching down on Jamaican soil ? Lol. While I am very excited about their re entry, I am a bit disappointed no GRU-MBJ non stop charter was announced. In due course I guess.

I believe, they will do well in Jamaica..The JTB met with officials Travel Agents and re assured them, they will have year round access to Jamaica via CM's hub.

I read where DL has acquired shares in GOL and have acquired their B763..Am not sure what will happen to their Caribbean operations..

I am still confident they will at some point in the future when they acquire more A330's. But the ( ever increasing ) APD will be a big factor affecting their decision to operate this possible new route, as naturally demand will be impacted. Hope to see even a 1x weekly on it sometime though.

I see it happening in 2 years....With the expected public relations boost from the London Games...They may start with one a week using their A330..

So, The IDT has ruled down JALPA's actions to strike..This is only the beginning...Expect cancelled flights during the busy season...

I hope JALPA continues with the bargaining until their demands are met..

yellowtail

Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:44 pm

No doubt, the next " big" planned announcement will be a FLL service linking MBJ...

I have my doubts (based on some conversations with some B6 folks last week). FLL has a huge congestion problem esp with the ongoing construction so FLL growth will be very limited at least for the next year. Even WN told me the same thing.

Expect to see two new Caribbean / C. American routes from JFK in 2012. they have whittled the choices down to 5. Decision in early march.
When in doubt, hold on to your altitude. No-one has ever collided with the sky.

GUYAIR707

Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:24 pm

Quoting guyanam (Reply 6):

Ok both Guyana dailies have it. They begin next week.

GUYAIR707

beeweel15

Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:32 pm

Quoting GUYAIR707 (Reply 11):
Quoting guyanam (Reply 6):

Ok both Guyana dailies have it. They begin next week.

GUYAIR707

This market getting crowded and I hear there is still another one looking to start the route also. Let the games begin.

GUYAIR707

Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:23 am

Quoting beeweel15 (Reply 12):

I tell you, I will enjoy the fares!!

GUYAIR707

hummingbird
Topic Author

Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:31 pm

This past Sunday, Copa Airlines reinstated services to MBJ..The E190 had a 50% LF and was greeted by officials from The JTB..

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/latest/article.php?id=33873

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/latest/article.php?id=33872

Hoping to see great success on this venture...

Quote:
Minister of Tourism, Hon Edmund Bartlett, in an address at a ceremony to officially welcome the airline to Jamaica, at the Sangster International Airport, underscored the importance of partnerships with airlines such as COPA, noting that the emerging tourism markets of South America are being viewed by his ministry as a source of inbound air traffic to be tapped into, to cover eventualities within the traditional markets.

“So, it is against that background that we looked hard and long, to see what was the best medium, what was the best carrier, what provided the best fit for Jamaica, at this time; what was most cost effective and what would give the efficiencies that we require to enable us to make that incursion and to do it quickly,” he stated.

He added that several discussions were held with airlines across South America and, after lengthy deliberations, COPA Airlines was chosen for final negotiations.

“Because COPA had a level of connectivity throughout South America unparallel by any other airline of its size,” he explained.

Mr. Bartlett pointed out that the COPA flights to Jamaica will mean 10,000 additional airline seats for the upcoming Winter Tourist Season.

“We are looking at a 4.7 percent projection for increase in arrivals, some 769,000 visitors we are projecting for the winter, and that will earn Jamaica US$850 million for this winter; the strongest winter that we would have ever had,” he noted.

He said that to ensure that Jamaica offers a seamless travel opportunity, as a destination, the government is working at significantly influencing the visa regimes that determines transit activities within the region, to make it easier for visitors to come to Jamaica for tourism and other purposes. He noted that great headway is being made in this area.

Caribbean Regional Manager for COPA Airlines, Claudia Zoluaga Alam, stated that COPA is very excited to visit Jamaica, and the COPA family is certain that the new flight will further strengthen cultural ties between Panama and Jamaica.
http://www.jis.gov.jm/news/leads-113/29454

hummingbird
Topic Author

Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:57 pm

This ad is just too funny.....

airjamaica

Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:53 am

Quoting hummingbird (Reply 9):
I see an opening of a DCA to MBJ routes, once more planes are acquired..

Wouldn't be surprised if they eventually offer service from that area to MBJ in the future.

I wonder if they will increase their services to MBJ, once they receive their B787s and the B744 are phased out?

That would be an ideal aircraft for the MAN to MBJ and LGW to MBJ route.

I believe, they will do well in Jamaica..The JTB met with officials Travel Agents and re assured them, they will have year round access to Jamaica via CM's hub.
Quoting hummingbird (Reply 14):
This past Sunday, Copa Airlines reinstated services to MBJ..The E190 had a 50% LF and was greeted by officials from The JTB..

Good to see CM back in MBJ again.

Quoting yellowtail (Reply 10):
FLL has a huge congestion problem esp with the ongoing construction so FLL growth will be very limited at least for the next year. Even WN told me the same thing.

That for sure will slow their expansion from FLL for the time being. Non the less in due course FLL-MBJ will happen on B6 in the future I think.

Quoting GUYAIR707 (Reply 13):
I tell you, I will enjoy the fares!!

I am certain many other Guyanese are saying same.

Quoting hummingbird (Reply 15):
This ad is just too funny.....

LOL.
greenheart

GUYAIR707

Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:55 am

Quoting hummingbird (Reply 15):

Very funny...they have to be careful, price wars can be very dangerous to their existence. I am not for or against any one airline, but I do believe that CAL wants to be around for a while, but I am not sure that REDjet is vested...

GUYAIR707

guyanam

Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:21 am

Quoting GUYAIR707 (Reply 17):

Redjet will complain about protectionism as an excuse for a poor business model. How mnay people want to fly UVF BGI..and why will the m80 be appropriate for such a short sector with iffy loads?

hummingbird
Topic Author

Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:41 pm

Quoting airjamaica (Reply 16):
Wouldn't be surprised if they eventually offer service from that area to MBJ in the future.

I was reading where they will also open EWR-SJU....I would love to see them serve MBJ and KIN from EWR, but this time, they may have to operate a KIN-MBJ leg and vice versa to capture more traffic...

Quoting airjamaica (Reply 16):
That for sure will slow their expansion from FLL for the time being. Non the less in due course FLL-MBJ will happen on B6 in the future I think.

I agree

Quoting GUYAIR707 (Reply 17):
I am not for or against any one airline, but I do believe that CAL wants to be around for a while, but I am not sure that REDjet is vested...

Makes me wonder what the CEO was thinking when he mentioned, CAL wants to be subsidy free...

Quoting guyanam (Reply 18):
How mnay people want to fly UVF BGI..and why will the m80 be appropriate for such a short sector with iffy loads?

According to their FB page, the first few flights have high loads...Looks like their low fares have done some stimulation...

Later tonight, I will post the DOT stats for Jun 2011..Looks like Jamaica in particular KIN, is one of B6's top performing VFR route..

Later tonight I will post the DOT stats for Jun 2011..

GUYAIR707

Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:20 am

Quoting hummingbird (Reply 19):
Makes me wonder what the CEO was thinking when he mentioned, CAL wants to be subsidy free...

LOL true, but I am not sure he is thinking before speaking.

GUYAIR707

hummingbird
Topic Author

Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:50 pm

Quoting GUYAIR707 (Reply 20):
LOL true, but I am not sure he is thinking before speaking.

I agree..

Over the weekend,MBJ was buzzing with increased traffic..

XL had their inaugural service from ORY on Friday using an A332..
AC has upgraded their aircraft to the B763 from YYZ..
BOS saw 3 flights on Sat, with two from B6 and the other from US..
TS has deployed their A333 from YYZ..
*****************************************************************************************

Pretty soon we Jamaicans will not be able to travel freely in the region...It was only a matter of time before Antigua was exposed for it's harassment towards Jamaicans..

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/Women-Cry-Foul_10416403

***************************************************************************************

Despite the usual cheer leading of a Jamaican success, Caribbean Airlines remains a liability to the Jamaican taxpayers..

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/20111218/lead/lead7.html

airjamaica

Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:57 pm

Quoting hummingbird (Reply 19):
Looks like Jamaica in particular KIN, is one of B6's top performing VFR route..

Considering they charge USD 35 for a second bag and USD 75 for a third ( though some people like myself will conform to the one free bag policy to avoid the charges ), and are still able to post such impressive loads to/from KIN, it is clear that they are doing very well on that route. Lets also remember they will up JFK-KIN to 2x daily for the busy holiday travel season. They IMO appear to be the real winner on that route.

Quoting hummingbird (Reply 21):
XL had their inaugural service from ORY on Friday using an A332..

Based on what I read in the newspaper, they had a very good load into MBJ. 16 round trip flights will operate on that sector over a four month period. Hopefully this service will gradually grow over time.

AC has upgraded their aircraft to the B763 from YYZ..

As expected.

BOS saw 3 flights on Sat, with two from B6 and the other from US..

I wonder why B6 choose to operate 2 BOS-MBJ flights in one day on Saturdays ? I know the charters from Canada does same sometimes, but why not spread it out throughout the week to give travellers more flexible options ? Anyway it is good to see both US and B6 operating alongside each other on that sector.

Pretty soon we Jamaicans will not be able to travel freely in the region...It was only a matter of time before Antigua was exposed for it's harassment towards Jamaicans..

Though I am quite cognizant of the fact that some Jamaicans make it bad for others with their actions where travel to some of these islands is concerned, it is quite unfair to blindly assume that all travellers have the same nefarious intentions. I know which islands I would never spend my travel dollar visiting.
greenheart

LimaMike

Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:57 pm

Quoting airjamaica (Reply 22):
I wonder why B6 choose to operate 2 BOS-MBJ flights in one day on Saturdays ? I know the charters from Canada does same sometimes, but why not spread it out throughout the week to give travellers more flexible options ? Anyway it is good to see both US and B6 operating alongside each other on that sector.

It is customary for carriers to operate these extra flights on a weekend to accommodate the spike in traffic which would result from more people being off from work and utilizing the weekend to prolong their vacations.

Though I am quite cognizant of the fact that some Jamaicans make it bad for others with their actions where travel to some of these islands is concerned, it is quite unfair to blindly assume that all travellers have the same nefarious intentions. I know which islands I would never spend my travel dollar visiting.

Cleared for takeoff!

yellowtail

Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:05 pm

You could always come here, but alas you would have to transit the USA to o so.

GUYAIR707

Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:33 am

Despite the usual cheer leading of a Jamaican success, Caribbean Airlines remains a liability to the Jamaican taxpayers..

From my understanding with the current ownership and corporate branding of Air Jamaica, the GOJ really owns 16% of CAL, as Air Jamaica really does not exist except as a spray job/decals on a few a/c.

Therefore, there is not quite the liability as with the previous versions of JM. I think the GORTT would have the bulk of the capitalization and they would be more interested in keeping CAL flying in the event there is need of further investment. The risk is that GORTT may look to water down the 16% share of GOJ and/or stop flying some of the MBJ/KIN routes, but with the GOJ sensibly wooing other carriers, there should not be a problem with airlift to Jamaica. That leaves Jamaica at the mercy of those carriers, but does their 16% in CAL really make for a different scenario. I am not sure what their agreement with CAL/JM is as to providing airlift to Jamaica where there is not profit.

I know that the previous debt is still on the hands of the GOJ, but this is the last time, I assume, and as with all airlines profitability is elusive, and their existence depends on the willingness of the owners to keep it flying (bailouts). Therefore, that puts the GOJ more in the drivers seat now than then, as there is no burden to bailout any airline.

The assumption the writer makes, and maybe with good reason, is that the GOJ will have to bailout JM sooner or later. The hope is that the GORTT will employ an efficient and reputable CEO and allow the airline to continue to grow and make money as a going business, and not as a pawn in some political game. That will let CAL/JM make money, provide airlift to Jamaica, and be a benefit to the economy and people of Jamaica.

Well Guyanese have had this happen for a while at most destinations. First, it is wrong in what we like to call the Caribbean Community. Second, this is what we call stereotyping, and for those less experienced and exposed, this is ok, but as you said, not everyone is involved in unlawful activities. As a matter of fact, I am sure that the more often than not there is no ulterior motive by the pax.

I remember a few arrivals. In the US, the immigration officer allowed all white US citizens on their way and questioned all non white US citizens.

In Grenada, the officer questioned us because we were not sure where we were staying, Why can't we go to the hotels and check them out and then decide where we would stay. My sister was renting a few cottages at Lance aux epines and I hadn't bothered to find out where it was.

Barbados, where do I begin, a few occasions the last being I was doing an a/c to a/c transfer with the old BW, and an officer came onboard and started yelling at me about the contents of my hand luggage, all in front of the other pax. He stopped when another officer came up and told him the problem was not me.

Denmark, the officer looked at my Guyanese passport and said, "so what are you doing here?" You had to hear his tone.

On the other hand, I do remember in South Africa non whites were treated better or equal than whites.

The problem is on arrival pax have no rights. No due process. So the immigration can do as they please, so to say. Our governments need to have a policy that does not include harassing citizens of other caricom countries.

GUYAIR707

hummingbird
Topic Author

Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:51 pm

Take a look at these cities that NK connects to KIN via FLL..

Kingston, Jamaica To: Tuesday/Wednesday Fares From Monday/Thursday Fares From
Atlanta $62.99* Each Way $77.99* Each Way
Atlantic City $62.99* Each Way $77.99* Each Way
Boston $62.99* Each Way $77.99* Each Way
Detroit $62.99* Each Way $77.99* Each Way
Fort Lauderdale $42.99* Each Way $57.99* Each Way
Los Angeles (LAX) $82.99* Each Way $97.99* Each Way
New York (LaGuardia) $72.99* Each Way $87.99* Each Way
Orlando $52.99* Each Way $67.99* Each Way
Tampa $52.99* Each Way $67.99* Each Way
Washington, DC (Reagan)

Considering they charge USD 35 for a second bag and USD 75 for a third ( though some people like myself will conform to the one free bag policy to avoid the charges ), and are still able to post such impressive loads to/from KIN, it is clear that they are doing very well on that route. Lets also remember they will up JFK-KIN to 2x daily for the busy holiday travel season. They IMO appear to be the real winner on that route.

I agree...
The second flight started early last week..This is their peak winter schedule for KIN..

JFK-KIN

Dep 07:00 Arr 11:08
Dep 20:45 Arr 00:50

KIN-JFK

Dep 01:50 Arr 05:45
Dep 12:08 Arr 16:00

Based on what I read in the newspaper, they had a very good load into MBJ. 16 round trip flights will operate on that sector over a four month period. Hopefully this service will gradually grow over time.

I have a feeling we may see an increase in frequencies come Dec 2012...

As expected.

Today, AC and TS will start their weekly YYC-MBJ service...AC will operate the B763 and TS their A333..

With the exception of Guyana, St Lucia and Belize, I will not waste my time travelling to other islands to suffer any sort of humiliation from these immigration officials...

Quoting yellowtail (Reply 24):
You could always come here, but alas you would have to transit the USA to o so.

Soon, Redjet will serve BZE from KIN..I see this happening in less than 2 years...

Quoting GUYAIR707 (Reply 25):
there should not be a problem with airlift to Jamaica. That leaves Jamaica at the mercy of those carriers, but does their 16% in CAL really make for a different scenario.

Not really..They have fallen into a trap..Notice how The GOJ is now opening the skies to more carriers..The US carriers are seeing an increase in traffic from KIN...

Take a look at these current specials..

http://airjamaica.com/Christmasspecials.aspx

I am not sure what their agreement with CAL/JM is as to providing airlift to Jamaica where there is not profit.

Last time, it was mentioned, they have to maintain a minimum of 6 routes..

I hope they keep an eye on the Dec 29th General Elections..

Our governments need to have a policy that does not include harassing citizens of other caricom countries.

As with many other issues that were mentioned at Caricom Summits, they will only gather dust..

yellowtail

Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:17 pm

Quoting hummingbird (Reply 26):
Our governments need to have a policy that does not include harassing citizens of other caricom countries.

This happens in other blocks as well....I know it happens in the Central American Integration System (SICA) countries as well.

trintocan

Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:19 pm

The more I hear these sorts of stories, the more I wonder what is happening to the Caribbean region. Something is palpably wrong when Caricom nationals are being harrassed like that in each others' airports. Perhaps part of the problem is that freedom of movement is not truly enshrined in Caricom as it is in, say, the European Union. One just has to visit any EU airport (LGW is a good example) - there are separate lines for EU citizens and for all others and the immigration procedures are always much quicker for EU citizens. That Caricom has the local and Caricom aisle separate from the "all others" is a start but that line needs to mean something. It says volumes when a short Caricom line moves more slowly that a long "all others" - I noticed this some years ago when arriving in an island.

Ultimately, people have to realise that all travellers need to be treated with respect. To take advantage of travellers is unacceptable - after all legitimate travellers are in all likelihood bringing revenue to the country, sustaining jobs and the local economies. While there are cases of people who may try to enter for less salubrious reasons - and this happens everywhere - human dignity and respect still need to be maintained even if the ultimate decision is unfavourable.

The problem is on arrival pax have no rights. No due process. So the immigration can do as they please, so to say.

All passengers do have basic human rights that should be respected and immigration procedures are meant to follow rules laid down by the country concerned. You are right, though, as on arrival a foreign national has no right of entry to a country unless specific supranational agreements exist (European Union).

On a happier note, great to see Jamaica's air services expanding as they are!

Trintocan.
Hop to it, fly for life!

airjamaica

Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:27 pm

Barbados, where do I begin, a few occasions the last being I was doing an a/c to a/c transfer with the old BW, and an officer came onboard and started yelling at me about the contents of my hand luggage, all in front of the other pax. He stopped when another officer came up and told him the problem was not me.

Unbelievable. Seem some of those airport officials need special training on dealing with travellers. Better yet, some of them shouldn't even be in those positions anyway.

Take a look at these cities that NK connects to KIN via FLL..

Not a bad line up. Hopefully when FLL's expansion and construction work is completed, we will also see more convenient connection options on B6 from there as well.

I agree...
The second flight started early last week..This is their peak winter schedule for KIN..

Basically the same timing as last December. During the summer the additional frequency had a late evening departure from KIN. On a side note...1722 MBJ-MCO is now operated using the A320 with mid morning departures, unlike two weeks ago when it was the E190 in the afternoons.

With the exception of Guyana, St Lucia and Belize, I will not waste my time travelling to other islands to suffer any sort of humiliation from these immigration officials...

Some of the '' experiences '' by others I have been hearing about is a real eye opener. Such incidents will do a '' lot '' to boost inter regional travel that many industry leaders speak so emphatically about   

Members of JALPA feted the children of the Andastra Gardens Basic School in east Kingston which they have adopted. The annual Christmas treat has been going on for 10 years...............

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/Pilots-pleasure_10417256

That is a great gesture by the association. I recall seeing and flying with some of those pilots when they were with JM. Miss Tabois was the first officer on my flight from ATL-MBJ-KIN back in November of 2005.

I hope they keep an eye on the Dec 29th General Elections..

Hopefully it will be a peaceful one as all indications are for another record season for arrivals. The annual Jamaica Jazz & Blues Festival in January will also be a big pull for many vacationers with Celene Dion headlining the event.

Quoting trintocan (Reply 28):
The more I hear these sorts of stories, the more I wonder what is happening to the Caribbean region. Something is palpably wrong when Caricom nationals are being harrassed like that in each others' airports. Perhaps part of the problem is that freedom of movement is not truly enshrined in Caricom as it is in, say, the European Union. One just has to visit any EU airport (LGW is a good example) - there are separate lines for EU citizens and for all others and the immigration procedures are always much quicker for EU citizens. That Caricom has the local and Caricom aisle separate from the "all others" is a start but that line needs to mean something. It says volumes when a short Caricom line moves more slowly that a long "all others" - I noticed this some years ago when arriving in an island.

Ultimately, people have to realise that all travellers need to be treated with respect. To take advantage of travellers is unacceptable - after all legitimate travellers are in all likelihood bringing revenue to the country, sustaining jobs and the local economies. While there are cases of people who may try to enter for less salubrious reasons - and this happens everywhere - human dignity and respect still need to be maintained even if the ultimate decision is unfavourable.

The problem is on arrival pax have no rights. No due process. So the immigration can do as they please, so to say.

All passengers do have basic human rights that should be respected and immigration procedures are meant to follow rules laid down by the country concerned. You are right, though, as on arrival a foreign national has no right of entry to a country unless specific supranational agreements exist (European Union).

Well said. I couldn't have said it any better.
greenheart

hummingbird
Topic Author

Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:47 pm

Jazz Air operated their first flight connecting YVR-MBJ using their B757..

FLYJAM Airways has delayed their service entry until Mar 2012..

Quoting airjamaica (Reply 29):
Basically the same timing as last December. During the summer the additional frequency had a late evening departure from KIN. On a side note...1722 MBJ-MCO is now operated using the A320 with mid morning departures, unlike two weeks ago when it was the E190 in the afternoons.

Correct..It was changed earlier this week to an am departure from MBJ-MCO...This is their current schedule..

MBJ-MCO
B6 1722 Dep 10:41 Arr 12:37

MCO-MBJ
B6 1721 Dep 07:45 Arr 09:41

Not a bad line up. Hopefully when FLL's expansion and construction work is completed, we will also see more convenient connection options on B6 from there as well.

Looks like more Jamaicans are opting for cheaper fares, compared to having luggage allowance..I was just checking fares for travel to MBJ in Jan from FLL..Surprisingly AA,NK and BW are showing fares withing the USD$300 region for a return ticket..

My anticipation is to see them use their A321s to MBJ and KIN from JFK and FLL..

Some of the '' experiences '' by others I have been hearing about is a real eye opener. Such incidents will do a '' lot '' to boost inter regional travel that many industry leaders speak so emphatically about
Quoting trintocan (Reply 28):

I agree..These problems need to be addressed before BW and Redjet starts their inter-regional expansion..

[airjamaica,reply=29]Members of JALPA feted the children of the Andastra Gardens Basic School in east Kingston which they have adopted. The annual Christmas treat has been going on for 10 years...............

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/Pilots-pleasure_10417256

That is a great gesture by the association. I recall seeing and flying with some of those pilots when they were with JM. Miss Tabois was the first officer on my flight from ATL-MBJ-KIN back in November of 2005.
[/quote]

Nice to see JALPA taking steps to ensure their social responsibilities are fulfilled..Job Well done..

Hopefully it will be a peaceful one as all indications are for another record season for arrivals. The annual Jamaica Jazz & Blues Festival in January will also be a big pull for many vacationers with Celene Dion headlining the event.

This will be a major boost to the Tourist Industry..I expect a sold out event, knowing Ms Dion will be headlining the show..

This will be a preview to my next post, that will show the DOT stats for Jun 2011...Last summer we discussed the decline in seats to Jamaica that lead to most if not all flights being oversold.Take a look at this story..

Quote:
Bartlett, who quipped that he has been experiencing difficulties in booking his own flights, told The Gleaner this afternoon that airlines seem to be maximizing yields by using larger aircrafts, while scheduling fewer flights with high load factors.

%u201CThese flights come in full. After a certain load factor, roughly 85 per cent, they have to leave passengers behind,%u201D he explained.

JATA%u2019s president, Carol Whittle, told The Gleaner/Power 106 this morning, travel agents have made a desperate call for increased airlift into North America.

Whittle described the situation as desperate and said her association has been in contact with two major airlines that fly between North America and Jamaica, Caribbean Airlines and American Airlines.

She noted that the shortage of flights has affected hundreds of travelers, considering summer is usually the busiest period for travel.

The president of JATA reflected it is unfortunate that the issue has been ignored for so long, as travel agencies have been losing revenue.

This was the response from The JTB..

Quote:
Meanwhile, Bartlett highlighted two available options in moving forward.

%u201CWe could market harder and create stronger demand,%u201D he suggested, %u201Cor we could go in and collaborate for the funding of additional flights.%u201D

He noted that the funding of additional flights would be taken care of by the Government, the travel agents or hotels.

[Edited 2011-12-20 08:10:31]

hummingbird
Topic Author

Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:25 pm

DOT Stats Jun 2011..

JM..This is the last time, JM code will be used for DOT Stats..

FLL-MBJ
4370-4049 93%

MBJ-FLL
4220-3202 76%

FLL-KIN
11858-10342 87%

KIN-FLL
11858-9033 76%

JFK-KIN
5852-4928 84%

KIN-JFK
6468-5534 86%

JFK-MBJ
308-290 94%

MBJ-PHL
4350-3204 74%

PHL-MBJ
4500-3620 80%
''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
F9

MBJ-STL
552-504 91%

STL-MBJ
552-492 89%
''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
B6

JFK-KIN
4500-4038 90%

KIN-JFK
4500-4109 91%

JFK-MBJ
5700-4851 85%

MBJ-JFK
5550-4636 84%

MBJ-MCO
3750-3125 83%

MCO-MBJ
3750-3218 86%
'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

DL

ATL-MBJ
19458-18215 94%

MBJ-ATL
19275-17037 88%

JFK-MBJ
628-515 82%

MBJ-JFK
628-578 92%

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
FL
ATL-MBJ
4110-3884 95%

MBJ-ATL
4110-3828 93%

BWI-MBJ
4932-4655 94%

MBJ-BWI
4932-4281 87%

MBJ-MCO
4110-3365 82%

MBJ-MCO
4110-3740 91%

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
AA

DFW-MBJ
4136-3882 94%

MBJ-DFW
4136-3796 92%

KIN-MIA
13812-12424 90%

MIA-KIN
14292-13109 92%

MBJ-MIA
14496-13294 92%

MIA-MBJ
14914-14162 95%

MBJ-ORD
1220-1071 88%

ORD-MBJ
1220-1069 88%

''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
U5

MBJ-ORD
1512-1439 96%

ORD-MBJ
1344-1301 97%

MBJ-STL
1344-1141 85%

STL-MBJ
1344-1150 85%

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
US

CLT-MBJ
14602-13862 95%

MBJ-CLT
14419-13179 91%

MBJ-PHL
5466-5013 92%

PHL-MBJ
5316-4991 94%

PHL-KIN
150-148 99%
''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
NA operated on JM's behalf

FLL-KIN
199-181 91%

KIN-FLL
199-56 28%

JFK-KIN
796-656 85%

KIN-JFK
398-162 41%

FLL-MBJ
199-186 93%

MBJ-FLL
199-129 65%

JFK-MBJ
5272-4231 80%

MBJ-JFK
5670-4254 76%
''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
CO

EWR-MBJ
1319-1218 92%

MBJ-EWR
1306-1201 92%

MBJ-IAH
3997-3543 89%

IAH-MBJ
3984-3736 94%
'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
NK

FLL-KIN
1744-1510 87%

KIN-FLL
1744-1411 81%

FLL-MBJ
4716-4495 95%

MBJ-FLL
4716-4305 91%

airjamaica

Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:51 am

Quoting LimaMike (Reply 23):
It is customary for carriers to operate these extra flights on a weekend to accommodate the spike in traffic which would result from more people being off from work and utilizing the weekend to prolong their vacations.

When AA was larger at BOS back in the day, I always thought they would have operated seasonally from there to MBJ. But it never materialized, as they seem content with channeling those passengers through their huge MIA hub. ORD-MBJ and DFW-MBJ wasn't too surprising. Was only a matter of time before they started.

Quoting hummingbird (Reply 30):
Looks like more Jamaicans are opting for cheaper fares, compared to having luggage allowance..

The thing is, even with the second bag fee that B6 for example has in place, often times their ticket is still cheaper than the competition when added to the price of the ticket, and that will be very attractive to many travellers.

Quoting hummingbird (Reply 31):
B6

JFK-KIN
4500-4038 90%

KIN-JFK
4500-4109 91%

Impressive as expected. I am certain they will reap similar success on their FLL-KIN ops next year.

FL
ATL-MBJ
4110-3884 95%

MBJ-ATL
4110-3828 93%

BWI-MBJ
4932-4655 94%

MBJ-BWI
4932-4281 87%

MBJ-MCO
4110-3365 82%

MBJ-MCO
4110-3740 91%

FL is holding their own against DL on ATL-MBJ. They have BWI-MBJ for themselves so naturally they are doing well on that sector. Their MCO-MBJ route has come a long way. Very impressive how they have improved their loads operating alongside B6. At one point I thought they would have given up on it with the dismal loads that they initially had, but things seem to have improved dramatically for them.
greenheart

LimaMike

Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:03 pm

DOT Stats Jun 2011..

Impressive stats all across the board! That DL ATL-MBJ is quite a standout; over 19,000 seats on offer and still average 94% load factor!

Quoting airjamaica (Reply 32):
When AA was larger at BOS back in the day, I always thought they would have operated seasonally from there to MBJ. But it never materialized, as they seem content with channeling those passengers through their huge MIA hub. ORD-MBJ and DFW-MBJ wasn't too surprising. Was only a matter of time before they started.

AA did operate BOS-MBJ services seasonally during the early to mid 2000s, usually with a B757.
Cleared for takeoff!

hummingbird
Topic Author

Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:59 am

Looks like the Jazz Air flight from YVR will spend 12 hrs on the ground before doing the return leg...

There was an Aerogal A320 in MBJ this morning...The flight originated in JFK...
The said flight is scheduled for today..

Sunwings operated their weekly YYZ-KIN service on Wed..This will be a winter only service.

En route to MBJ is a TS A310 from YXE..

The thing is, even with the second bag fee that B6 for example has in place, often times their ticket is still cheaper than the competition when added to the price of the ticket, and that will be very attractive to many travellers.

Am pretty sure they are happy with the success of their Jamaican operations..It is expected, FLL will be a walk in the park..

FL is holding their own against DL on ATL-MBJ. They have BWI-MBJ for themselves so naturally they are doing well on that sector. Their MCO-MBJ route has come a long way. Very impressive how they have improved their loads operating alongside B6. At one point I thought they would have given up on it with the dismal loads that they initially had, but things seem to have improved dramatically for them.

This winter they will operate flights from MKE..I am expecting to see an increase from ATL in the near future..
I agree with MCO, we all had our doubts, but nice to see them doing well on this sector..

Quoting LimaMike (Reply 33):
Impressive stats all across the board! That DL ATL-MBJ is quite a standout; over 19,000 seats on offer and still average 94% load factor!

These were 4 daily flights using their B752 on most days...DL and other US carriers will continue to have high loads to MBJ based on the demand..I expect to see more flights in the next two years, once the first Casino Resort is opened...

BTW..It looks like F9 will be operating flights to PUJ on behalf of Apple Vacations in 2012....U5 who currently flies from ORD will terminate services in Jan 2012...These are the proposed routes:

Nonstop service between Baltimore, Chicago (O'Hare), Cincinnati, Cleveland, Denver, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Rockford and St. Louis, on the one hand, and Punta Cana, Dominican Republic, on the other hand, starting around June 1, 2012.

Am confident a MBJ service is forthcoming..

airjamaica

Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:46 pm

That DL ATL-MBJ is quite a standout; over 19,000 seats on offer and still average 94% load factor!
Quoting hummingbird (Reply 34):
These were 4 daily flights using their B752 on most days...DL and other US carriers will continue to have high loads to MBJ based on the demand..I expect to see more flights in the next two years, once the first Casino Resort is opened...

DL's growth into MBJ ( particularly out of their ATL home base ) is quite something indeed. When they started expanding into the Caribbean and Latin America, I would never envision them with such a significant presence in MBJ. US's presence down there is not bad either.

AA did operate BOS-MBJ services seasonally during the early to mid 2000s, usually with a B757.

Very interesting. Wasn't aware of that. What was their frequency like ? 2 - 3x weekly I presume ?

There was an Aerogal A320 in MBJ this morning...The flight originated in JFK...
The said flight is scheduled for today..

MBJ is having quite a diverse collection of '' visitors '' from all over. I wonder if Enerjet will be back again ?

BTW..It looks like F9 will be operating flights to PUJ on behalf of Apple Vacations in 2012....U5 who currently flies from ORD will terminate services in Jan 2012...These are the proposed routes:

Nonstop service between Baltimore, Chicago (O'Hare), Cincinnati, Cleveland, Denver, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Rockford and St. Louis, on the one hand, and Punta Cana, Dominican Republic, on the other hand, starting around June 1, 2012.

Am confident a MBJ service is forthcoming..

Would be a much welcome addition.
greenheart

817Dreamliiner

Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:43 am

Hello Jamaican a.netters!

I'm new to the forum, but I have been following these threads from since thread#1. I'm from the island of Montserrat (but have Jamaican roots), and i've recently relocated to the UK to go to university to study (aviation related of course ). Im now back home for a much needed break and to spend time with the fam. Though I wanted to go to KIN, but that didn't work out. I had an interesting time flying back home on AA especially doing connections at JFK and SJU, and in the process saw alot of planes ive never seen before (A380s included  ). Hopefully sometime soon ill get to return to Jamaica as this is 1 of my favorite places to go on holidays and its pretty much my second home. Soo hopefully ill be back sometime in the future 

anyways I hope I can make a contribution to these forums and this thread as well.
Please let me know... If you know this is the end of the world, Let me know... If you know the truth...

airjamaica

Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:45 am

Seem the final report on the AA 331 mishap at KIN in December 2009 will soon materialize based on what the JCAA is reporting.

Quoting 817Dreamliiner (Reply 36):

I'm new to the forum, but I have been following these threads from since thread#1. I'm from the island of Montserrat (but have Jamaican roots), and i've recently relocated to the UK to go to university to study (aviation related of course ). Im now back home for a much needed break and to spend time with the fam. Though I wanted to go to KIN, but that didn't work out. I had an interesting time flying back home on AA especially doing connections at JFK and SJU, and in the process saw alot of planes ive never seen before (A380s included  ). Hopefully sometime soon ill get to return to Jamaica as this is 1 of my favorite places to go on holidays and its pretty much my second home. Soo hopefully ill be back sometime in the future 

anyways I hope I can make a contribution to these forums and this thread as well.

Welcome to the Jamaican thread. Always good to have contribution from new members. Regarding getting to Montserrat from the UK, why not BA to SJU and then connect from there onwards ?
greenheart

817Dreamliiner

Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:54 am

Quoting airjamaica (Reply 37):
Welcome to the Jamaican thread. Always good to have contribution from new members. Regarding getting to Montserrat from the UK, why not BA to SJU and then connect from there onwards ?

thanks for the welcome

I would have used BA(which is actually my first choice airline now) but when booking but they were a bit on the expensive side plus I would have had to go to London as well, oo I live in MAN btw, and when searching other flights AA had the best deal at the time and they fly from MAN-JFK so I went with that. Havent been to NY in a while, plus I always wanted to fly a 757 over the Atlantic  which wasn't that bad actually and the flight to SJU was nice as well. Both flights were with the Intl configured 757s. Though I would say that the ATR's at SJU could use a make over, the seats were horrible! plus this trip actually gave me some experience in connecting flights(never really done any sort of flight connecting in my life) and on the return I get to fly to LHR from JFK and the take a codeshared BA/AA flight back to MAN, so im gonna do alot of flying, should be fun! 
Please let me know... If you know this is the end of the world, Let me know... If you know the truth...

hummingbird
Topic Author

Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:50 am

AA

DFW-MBJ
4136-3882 94%

MBJ-DFW
4136-3796 92%

KIN-MIA
13812-12424 90%

MIA-KIN
14292-13109 92%

MBJ-MIA
14496-13294 92%

MIA-MBJ
14914-14162 95%

MBJ-ORD
1220-1071 88%

ORD-MBJ
1220-1069 88%

Not bad for the MIA stats from MBJ and KIN...Am being told AA does not see the new service from KIN as a threat and has already taken steps to defend their turf..

US

CLT-MBJ
14602-13862 95%

MBJ-CLT
14419-13179 91%

MBJ-PHL
5466-5013 92%

PHL-MBJ
5316-4991 94%

PHL-KIN
150-148 99%

I hope to see more flights from PHL and CLT come Winter 2012..

CO

EWR-MBJ
1319-1218 92%

MBJ-EWR
1306-1201 92%

MBJ-IAH
3997-3543 89%

IAH-MBJ
3984-3736 94%

I hope the new UA will rebuild EWR-MBJ services to daily year round...Looks like IAH-MBJ is a better performer based on frequencies..

FLL-KIN
1744-1510 87%

KIN-FLL
1744-1411 81%

FLL-MBJ
4716-4495 95%

MBJ-FLL
4716-4305 91%

Another sign that, despite their negative image, NK has been able to maintain high loads to Jamaica..

Quoting airjamaica (Reply 35):
MBJ is having quite a diverse collection of '' visitors '' from all over. I wonder if Enerjet will be back again ?

Am yet to see them on the winter sched for MBJ...

Quoting 817Dreamliiner (Reply 36):

I'm new to the forum, but I have been following these threads from since thread#1. I'm from the island of Montserrat (but have Jamaican roots), and i've recently relocated to the UK to go to university to study (aviation related of course ). Im now back home for a much needed break and to spend time with the fam. Though I wanted to go to KIN, but that didn't work out. I had an interesting time flying back home on AA especially doing connections at JFK and SJU, and in the process saw alot of planes ive never seen before (A380s included ). Hopefully sometime soon ill get to return to Jamaica as this is 1 of my favorite places to go on holidays and its pretty much my second home. Soo hopefully ill be back sometime in the future

A warm Jamaican welcome to our thread...Its always a pleasure to see new posters, hear new views and have open discussions on our aviation industry...

Quoting 817Dreamliiner (Reply 38):
Both flights were with the Intl configured 757s.

I hope these flights were comfortable..I still cant see myself doing Trans Atlantic on a B757...

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
Last weekend, Jamaica welcomed its first nonstop service from Paris with XL Airways and Look Voyages..The aircraft had an occupancy of 90% and the service will operate until March 2012....The company is pleased with this year's programme and is already looking at opening their winter flights from Oct 2102...

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/weste...xcel-Airways-Look-Voyages_10437508

B6 has sent us their Christmas Gift...They will increase services to KIN from JFK in 2012..For the month of April, they will operate double daily from JFK..Schedules are as follow:

JFK-KIN

Dep 07:15 Arr 10:03 B6867

Dep 20:29 Arr 23:35 B6869

KIN-JFK

Dep 00:35 Arr 05:21 B6870

Dep 1:00 Arr 15:48 B6868

Eff May, service will revert to daily ( for now, I expect them to add more flights) but will increase to double daily eff late Jun until early Sept..

Schedules are as follow:

JFK-KIN
Dep 10:29 Arr 13:21 B6867

Dep 14:45 Arr 17:48 B6869

KIN-JFK

Dep 14:20 Arr 19:13 B6868

Dep 18:45 Arr 23:34 B6870

Combining the new services from FLL, we will see 4 B6 aircraft in KIN..I hope AA will add a 4th daily to MIA for summer 2012..

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

Another day of having a Aerogal flight into MBJ..

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/GLG7001

Also en route to MBJ is Jazz Air B752 from YYC..

airjamaica

Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:31 am

Quoting 817Dreamliiner (Reply 38):

OK. I see. AA isn't my favourite of carriers but with their extensive network and OneWorld alliance partners, they easily connect you to anywhere you want to go basically.

Quoting hummingbird (Reply 39):
Not bad for the MIA stats from MBJ and KIN...Am being told AA does not see the new service from KIN as a threat and has already taken steps to defend their turf..

AA may have flopped on their FLL-KIN experiment, but their MIA-KIN and MIA-MBJ services is a totally different ball game. They have those two routes locked.

B6 has sent us their Christmas Gift...They will increase services to KIN from JFK in 2012..For the month of April, they will operate double daily from JFK..Schedules are as follow:
Eff May, service will revert to daily ( for now, I expect them to add more flights) but will increase to double daily eff late Jun until early Sept..
Combining the new services from FLL, we will see 4 B6 aircraft in KIN..I hope AA will add a 4th daily to MIA for summer 2012..

Great to see B6 beefing up services to Jamaica. When they start FLL-MBJ there will be at least 6 flights on some days during peak seasons down there if the current schedules are maintained. When added to the KIN ops, that will be a possible 10 flights for the day.
greenheart

817Dreamliiner

Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:40 am

Quoting airjamaica (Reply 40):
AA may have flopped on their FLL-KIN experiment, but their MIA-KIN and MIA-MBJ services is a totally different ball game. They have those two routes locked.

I've actually been on this service, the flights I was on were really full, too bad it was discontinued, I guess they couldn't compete very well on the route, but I agree, AA pretty much owns MIA-KIN/MBJ

hummingbird
Topic Author

Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:17 pm

Former Grand Lido Resort which closed it's doors earlier this year, will now be operated by Blue Diamond Resort Ltd which is a subsidiary of the Sunwing Travel Group...With this type of investment we can me assured, Sunwing Airlines will definitely increase flights to Jamaica from Canada..

These were the Canadian Arrivals yesterday...Looks like a new record..

Jazz Air - YYZ and YYC ..B752
Sunwing- YYZ (2 flights), YUL,YXE,YYC,YEG and YQR..
Air Transat YYZ and YEG..Both A310s
Westjet-YOW,YEG,YUL and YYZ.
Canjet-YQB
AC B763..

I heard their AAdvantage base in Jamaica is growing..They already have a large following in the affluent areas in Kingston and surrounding areas..

Great to see B6 beefing up services to Jamaica. When they start FLL-MBJ there will be at least 6 flights on some days during peak seasons down there if the current schedules are maintained. When added to the KIN ops, that will be a possible 10 flights for the day.

This will be happening by Dec 2012..

yellowtail

Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:34 pm

Quoting hummingbird (Reply 42):
I heard their AAdvantage base in Jamaica is growing..They already have a large following in the affluent areas in Kingston and surrounding areas..

Probably due to their tie up with Scotiabank and their credit cards.

guyanam

Sun Dec 25, 2011 7:50 pm

Quoting yellowtail (Reply 43):

The Uptown crowd dont like anything local. Of course AA will be preferred.

hummingbird
Topic Author

Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:38 am

Merry Christmas Everyone..

Looks like F9 will service ORD on behalf of Apple Vacations for the winter....The service started last week..

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/FFT8539

To date we have 4 carriers flying ORD-MBJ.

AA
F9
UA
U5

Quoting guyanam (Reply 44):

Am not surprised.. AA has had its ups and downs with KIN, but rest assured, this is one market they are not willing to give up...

817Dreamliiner

Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:00 am

hey guys

I asked this question in the Caribbean thread so im gonna ask it here as well

How is CAL's first class and has anyone here flown in it recently? Ive just seen some pics that were posted by another member and still kinda amazed at the quality. How you guys think CAL's first class service compared to the pre merger JM? Im asking because ive only had one previous JM flight when they had the MD 80s on the route MBJ-GCM and never got an opportunity to fly them again before the merger, so what are your views?

airjamaica

Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:59 pm

Quoting 817Dreamliiner (Reply 41):
I've actually been on this service, the flights I was on were really full, too bad it was discontinued, I guess they couldn't compete very well on the route, but I agree, AA pretty much owns MIA-KIN/MBJ

It seem AA only enjoyed stellar loads on their former FLL-KIN flights during the busy summer travel periods for the most part. At FLL they didn't enjoy the benefit of the connecting traffic that exists at their MIA hub, which also contribute to their success from that city. None the less I thought they would have been able to make FLL-KIN work as it is quite a sizeable O & D/VFR market, second place to JFK. Interestingly US also attempted FLL-KIN in the past as well, and it too was a failure for them.

Former Grand Lido Resort which closed it's doors earlier this year, will now be operated by Blue Diamond Resort Ltd which is a subsidiary of the Sunwing Travel Group...With this type of investment we can me assured, Sunwing Airlines will definitely increase flights to Jamaica from Canada..

More than likely WG will beef up services as they will offer special packages for their passengers who will opt to vacation at their subsidiary property. Win win for both Blue Diamond Resorts and the carrier. And Jamaica as well.

Quoting guyanam (Reply 44):
The Uptown crowd dont like anything local. Of course AA will be preferred.

Very true. I know many people from those areas who only travel with AA when it is time to fly. Good for them. Neither AA ( only travel with them when I can't do any better ) or Scotiabank ( they are like Usain Bolt on the track where transaction fees are concerned ) is among my favourite entities to do business with.

Quoting hummingbird (Reply 45):
Looks like F9 will service ORD on behalf of Apple Vacations for the winter....The service started last week..

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/FFT8539

To date we have 4 carriers flying ORD-MBJ.

AA
F9
UA
U5

Great for MBJ. Hoping to see them on DEN-MBJ in the near future.

AA has had its ups and downs with KIN, but rest assured, this is one market they are not willing to give up...

AA has had a very interesting history with KIN. There was a time when they had 4 daily non stops from MIA and 1 daily non stop from JFK, with all sorts of metal among those two routes to KIN....DC10, A300, B767, B727, B757 and B738. They served Jamaican meals ( ackee/salt fish, jerk chicken etc. at one point ) and have sponsored many notable local sports/charity events over the years. They may have thrown in the towel on JFK-KIN, but will not be doing the same on MIA-KIN from what I have observed, all things being well. They will defend that lucrative market.

Quoting 817Dreamliiner (Reply 46):
Im asking because ive only had one previous JM flight when they had the MD 80s on the route MBJ-GCM and never got an opportunity to fly them again before the merger, so what are your views?

My cousin flew JM's first class to LHR in their '' airbus '' days and was very impressed with their offering. Never flown in their first class before but from what I heard, they did offer great service with their Flying Chef and long list of local cuisine etc.
greenheart

A388

Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:31 am

Merry Christmas Everyone..

Thanks hummingbird, Merry Christmas to you, all other members here and all of your loved ones!!! I keep saying it, I hope Air Jamaica will return to Curacao in 2012!!!

A388

hummingbird
Topic Author

Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:53 pm

B6 will beef up services on the JFK-MBJ flights in 2012
In JAN, they will operate an extra 2 segments per week....
Between Feb and Apr, they will operate a total of 11 flights..

Quoting 817Dreamliiner (Reply 46):

BW spends more on catering and has a more varied liquor selection...

Quoting airjamaica (Reply 47):
Very true. I know many people from those areas who only travel with AA when it is time to fly. Good for them. Neither AA ( only travel with them when I can't do any better ) or Scotiabank ( they are like Usain Bolt on the track where transaction fees are concerned ) is among my favourite entities to do business with.

They also have a huge chunk of the ICI market..

Hoping to see them on DEN-MBJ in the near future.

Perhaps by Dec 2012..

They will defend that lucrative market.

I agree..

Quoting A388 (Reply 48):
Thanks hummingbird, Merry Christmas to you, all other members here and all of your loved ones!!! I keep saying it, I hope Air Jamaica will return to Curacao in 2012!!!

Same to you too..Their CEO mentioned, due to rising competition, they will now target high yielding markets..We may see KIN-CUR by summer 2012...