COexpress To Offer Meal Service!

Sat Oct 07, 2000 10:32 am

On my visit Wed. to Chelsea, CO's catering division, it was mentioned that COex, who is going all-jet by 2002, will be offering full meal service on select flights. I've heard that Chelsea has developed catering trucks just for use on the ERJ. I think they currently have 3 in use. Has anyone ever seen one? Anyone know which flights COex will have meal service on?

thanx,
COexERJ

ContinentalEWR

RE: COexpress To Offer Meal Service!

Sun Oct 08, 2000 12:18 am

If this is really true, it is further proof that this airline
is a cut above.

Sun Oct 08, 2000 12:39 am

ContinentalEWR,
as crazy as it sounds, it's true. I'm just not sure what routes they will have this service on, or if it will be restricted to the ERJ-145 or the 145ERX. Supposedly, a CO employee designed the ERJ catering truck, and they are supposed to already be in service. I know that Chelsea has kitchens in IAH (of course), CLE, EWR, HNL, and LAX, and since COex only operates out of IAH, CLE, and EWR, that's where they should be found. Any spotters at IAH, CLE, or EWR seen one? I'll check the COex routing guide next time I'm in the office and try to find out which routes will have meal service. (I'm thinking some of the routes from IAH-STL, IAH-Mexico, and possibly EWR-SAV)

STT757

Sun Oct 08, 2000 3:27 am

I saw one a few months back at EWR,it looks like one of those vehicles with the conveyer ramp that ground crew put bags on that sends the bags up to someone in the cargo hold who loads it (bags) in.

It's like that except that there's a big Chelsea silver box on it,and the driver's seat is in the same place as the baggage version (to the side).The Chelsea crew uses the conveyer belt as a ramp which in the down postion meets with the ERJs door at one end and the big Silver Box at the other.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

777gk

Sun Oct 08, 2000 3:32 am

So that's what I saw scurrying around my 764.

cba

Sun Oct 08, 2000 4:28 am

It makes sense that meal service should be operated on commuter flights. With the range of the ERJ/CRJ, airlines can fly commuter flights on flights up tp 3 hours. I was on a Comair flight back in July from HOU-CVG, a 2.5 hour flight. The meal service consisted of coke and pretzels. The year before, I flew the same flight when DL still operated it (on a 732). There was meal service on that flight. I think we got a sandwitch and pretzels.

Adam84

Sun Oct 08, 2000 5:07 am

Back in June 1999, from CLE-MSP on a ERJ-145 I got full meal service. It was some kind of pasta dish but it was really good.