blueflyer
Topic Author

Tight Airspace In Gulf (Middle East)

Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:13 pm

The National posted an interesting article a couple of days ago regarding the lack of available airspace in the Gulf, due in part to 60% of it being reserved by governments for purposes other than civilization aviation, and also to regional aviation developing fast and adding on to the traditional North (Europe) - South (Asia / Oceania) traffic.

http://www.thenational.ae/business/t...wded-skies-hold-back-gulf-airlines

At the end of the article, IATA also takes an unrelated dig at European governments. Their message: stop taxing aviation so much and instead spend a lot more on air transport infrastructure. A bit unusual, and somewhat ill-informed. As if the only reason Dubai is so popular a connecting point is because they were willing to build a big airport.
Democracy 2016: 3 million California votes < 100,000 Midwest votes.

northwest 777

RE: Tight Airspace In Gulf (Middle East)

Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:05 pm

I was definitely struck by the irony of that last statement in the article as well. Maybe there is truth to the argument about over taxing aviation, but to assume that the economic success of Dubai and the region as a whole could simply be replicated in a place like the UK, for example, by just adding to infrastructure, is a bit silly. Maybe I am just reading too much into the statement though. I still am constantly struck by that nagging feeling that the party in that region just can't continue like it has for too much longer. Obviously, my feeling has been proven wrong to date, and I'm not losing any sleep over it, but it just smacks of the US real estate market in the midst of its own bubble or something. Granted, that's probably a poor analogy to make, but it seems like there is a bit of that 'irrational exuberance' happening much the same way though.

ekgold

RE: Tight Airspace In Gulf (Middle East)

Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:29 am

The regions sits in the Middle of North/South and East/West populations
With modern aircraft, most areas of population are reachable via direct flight
The governments have invested in the sector both in terms of ground and air infrastructure
The airlines themselves have used the cross road to their best advantage with schedules and destinations
Competitive pricing and better service levels

a non-exhaustive list as to why it will continue the way it has developed in the past 10 years and that DXB, AUH and DOH will be transit hubs long into the future.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos