CIDFlyer
Topic Author

Will MSP Ever Get A New Control Tower?

Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:32 pm

Having flown through MSP I've noticed their control tower seems rather old and compared to new ones like MEM and ATL have was wondering what the chances are they get a new larger and taller one? With as many operations there with the large DL hub and the new runway I would think that they would get a new one in the next few years.

sunking737

RE: Will MSP Ever Get A New Control Tower?

Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:10 am

Quoting CIDFlyer (Thread starter):
Having flown through MSP I've noticed their control tower seems rather old and compared to new ones like MEM and ATL have was wondering what the chances are they get a new larger and taller one? With as many operations there with the large DL hub and the new runway I would think that they would get a new one in the next few years.

I don't know the date but they did get a new tower. A temp. tower was put on top of the parking garage Term 1. I would say mid to late 90's.
Just an MSPAVGEEK

jsnww81

Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:28 am

The current tower was built in the mid 1990s and was "grafted" onto the side of the previous 1960s control tower. A new tower shaft and cab was built on one side, physically joined to the old tower. When it was finished, the old tower cab was removed, but the original 1960s-era tower shaft was left standing. That explains why the tower looks dated - the cab and all the equipment are not.

CIDFlyer
Topic Author

Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:02 am

ahh I see makes sense then

Thenoflyzone

Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:40 am

the tower seems pretty far from the terminal buildings. Anyone know where ramp control operates from ? I see a few circular shapes over the north concourses, but not sure if that is where ramp control operates from.

Thenoflyzone
us Air Traffic Controllers have a good record, we haven't left one up there yet !!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos