CIDFlyer
Topic Author

Will MSP Ever Get A New Control Tower?

Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:32 pm

Having flown through MSP I've noticed their control tower seems rather old and compared to new ones like MEM and ATL have was wondering what the chances are they get a new larger and taller one? With as many operations there with the large DL hub and the new runway I would think that they would get a new one in the next few years.

sunking737

RE: Will MSP Ever Get A New Control Tower?

Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:10 am

Quoting CIDFlyer (Thread starter):
Having flown through MSP I've noticed their control tower seems rather old and compared to new ones like MEM and ATL have was wondering what the chances are they get a new larger and taller one? With as many operations there with the large DL hub and the new runway I would think that they would get a new one in the next few years.

I don't know the date but they did get a new tower. A temp. tower was put on top of the parking garage Term 1. I would say mid to late 90's.
Just an MSPAVGEEK

jsnww81

Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:28 am

The current tower was built in the mid 1990s and was "grafted" onto the side of the previous 1960s control tower. A new tower shaft and cab was built on one side, physically joined to the old tower. When it was finished, the old tower cab was removed, but the original 1960s-era tower shaft was left standing. That explains why the tower looks dated - the cab and all the equipment are not.

CIDFlyer
Topic Author

Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:02 am

ahh I see makes sense then

Thenoflyzone

Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:40 am

the tower seems pretty far from the terminal buildings. Anyone know where ramp control operates from ? I see a few circular shapes over the north concourses, but not sure if that is where ramp control operates from.

Thenoflyzone
us Air Traffic Controllers have a good record, we haven't left one up there yet !!