LGWGate49
Topic Author

New Doha International Airport - Video

Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:19 pm

Thought it worth sharing, an amazing improvement on the current airport:

http://www.businesstraveller.com/new...deo-new-doha-international-airport

(although it does seem that QR have bought themselves an A380F at 0.09!   )
Look for the ridiculous in everything, and you will find it

MIAspotter

RE: New Doha International Airport - Video

Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:04 pm

Yup! I saw it yesterday via a friend.

NDIA looks amazing, and the quicker its ready the better for QR and their image, I just transited through it and it was a really unpleasant experience.

MIAspotter.
Nos vamos de Vueling?

Cipango

Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:54 pm

Very similar to HKG!

The airport looked quite small from the outside however. With the growth of QR, they're really limiting themselves in the long run.
Let's fly! Unless it's on a CRJ 200, then I'll stay down here.

EK413

Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:28 am

Mirror image of Hong Kong however a smaller scale in opinion...
What's QR expansions plans as the airport doesn't seem to have ample space for growth...
However in saying that its still a major improvement from the current airport....

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!

YVRSpeedBird

Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:56 am

The only thing that reminds me of HKG is the Y shape of the terminal, use of glass throughout the building and the runway layout. The interior of the terminal itself is quite different. Have you noticed in the video that the arrivals sterile corridor is above the departures floor, much like Canadian airports (YVR, YYZ, YUL)?

Also, in the latter part of the video, I noticed that the gate area had x-ray machines. I sure hope they have central security screening instead of gate screening like SIN & AMS non-Schengen. Actually, after reviewing the video, I did see a central screening area after passport control. Perhaps the gate screening is only for secondary screening for US-bound (and other countries who request them) flights?

MH017

Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:30 pm

Connect NDIA with the current airport (after refurbishments) with taxiways, and you'll have a mega-airport with plenty of space/opportunities for QR to expand...

[Edited 2011-12-17 08:31:12]
don't throw away tomorrow !

kaitak

Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:19 pm

Quoting MH017 (Reply 5):
Connect NDIA with the current airport (after refurbishments) with taxiways, and you'll have a mega-airport with plenty of space/opportunities for QR to expand...

I think that once this airport opens, that's it for the old airport, so I think that will either be closed or used exclusively for VIP and military flights.

Quoting EK413 (Reply 3):
What's QR expansions plans as the airport doesn't seem to have ample space for growth...

Looking at a Google map, you can get some idea of its size, although the Google map doesn't show the fully built terminal; on each side of the main pier, there are five gates, then another ten around the main part of the terminal; the "Y" section looked like it could take another 10-12, so really, that should be quite sufficient and there is room to build a smaller satellite north of the taxiway - again like HK - in due course. Given that an airport will never need to accommodate all of the aircraft of its home carrier at one time(DXB certainly can't, nor can SIN or HKG), this looks very good and will greatly improve the attractiveness of DOH and QR.

airbazar

Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:32 pm

Quoting EK413 (Reply 3):

There seems to be ample space for growth, not just next door in the area occupied by the current airport, but also the ability to reclaim land from the gulf.

jamesontheroad

Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:51 pm

Quoting kaitak (Reply 6):
I think that once this airport opens, that's it for the old airport, so I think that will either be closed or used exclusively for VIP and military flights.

A new VIP terminal is being built alongside the NDIA - it's visible on the right of the access roads in the first aerial approach view.

EK413

Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:21 am

Quoting kaitak (Reply 6):
Quoting airbazar (Reply 7):

Cheers....

I have had a look at the Google map and it certainly gives you a better idea of the size the airport... Certainly not complaining as this is an over due upgrade from the current airport...
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=452143

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!