Hamlet69
Topic Author

ANA 787 New Routes - Seattle And San Jose

Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:30 am

Just saw this on the news wire. NH will launch new routes from Narita to Seattle and San Jose next Fiscal Year. Equipment will be 787.

Will try and get more info and some links soon. . .

Regards,

Hamlet69
Honor the warriors, not the war.

redrooster3

RE: ANA 787 New Routes - Seattle And San Jose

Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:34 am

Quoting Hamlet69 (Thread starter):
Seattle and San Jose

This is great news!!!!!!! Who's next? DEN, SAN?

NH using what the plane was made for! Fantastic!
The only thing you should change about a woman is her last name.

kiwiandrew

Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:35 am

Do you know which San Jose? SJC or SJO? SJC seems a little odd considering how close it is to SFO, on the other hand SJO seems unlikely due to traffic volumes, although it is meant to become a *A hub next year.

edited to add: ooops, never mind, looks like SJC according to this:

http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...ights-to-u-s-next-fiscal-year.html

[Edited 2011-12-21 00:38:29]

BMI727

Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:51 am

Quoting kiwiandrew (Reply 2):
edited to add: ooops, never mind, looks like SJC according to this:

Definitely SJC. SFO is a big market, but getting a destination close to Silicon Valley is likely to be successful.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

Hamlet69
Topic Author

Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:55 am

Kiwiandrew,

Yes, sorry. Should have been more specific. It is indeed NRT-SEA and NRT-SJC. Thanks for posting the link. I'm on my phone and was having a bloody hard time getting it to copy the URL.

Nothing yet on NH's website. Was hoping for more detail than "beginning next Fiscal Year." The article vaguely references April 1, but I believe that's merely when NH's fiscal years start.

Hamlet69
Honor the warriors, not the war.

aeroblogger

Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:04 am

SJC?  Wow!. That's a surprise. It'll have to rely on a lot of O&D. No connection opportunities at SJC...

I was hoping that they'd give JAL a run for their money and launch BOS. Another *A connection would be brilliant. I guess I've gotta keep dreaming  
Airports 2012: IXE HYD DEL BLR BOM CCU KNU KTM BKK SIN ICN LAX BUR SFO PHX IAH ORD EWR PHL PVD BOS FRA MUC IST

BMI727

Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:12 am

Quoting AeroBlogger (Reply 5):
That's a surprise. It'll have to rely on a lot of O&D. No connection opportunities at SJC...

But there are at NRT. Pretty much all of the traffic between Silicon Valley and component suppliers and factories in Asia could find use for this flight. Granted AA couldn't make it work, but I think ANA has the right plane and the right route at the right time.

aeroblogger

Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:44 am

Yeah, I guess that's true. It just seems as though flying out of SFO would be more convenient for the vast majority of pax...
Airports 2012: IXE HYD DEL BLR BOM CCU KNU KTM BKK SIN ICN LAX BUR SFO PHX IAH ORD EWR PHL PVD BOS FRA MUC IST

RWA380

Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:00 am

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 6):
Granted AA couldn't make it work, but I think ANA has the right plane and the right route at the right time.

Exactly, well saqid. The M11 & 777 were too much aircraft for this route, but the 787 is perfect. Plus all those tech travellers will love flying the most technilogicaly advanced plane in the sky. This will be a winner for NH.

I don't think they will need much feed out of SJC, I bet O/D can make this route work. And heck it's not like UA can connect passengers to DEN, and beyond. Some may use the convienient airport that is SJC, rather than the mega-plex SFO, plus a 787 flight will draw some just for the ride. I'd fly into SJC to fly a 787 and drive north if I lived in the city still.

Lets not forget NH has lots of connections available on the NRT end of things. Good luck NH.

Also, isn't this the first 787 route announced for SEA? way to bring the birds home every so often, I know dedicated flyers in PDX that are used to taking UAX to SEA to catch a UA non-stop to NRT, not sure if they still fly this route, but those passengers will also love the 787 vs the 747 and 777 used in the past on UA. Again, congrats NH.

Maybe in the future a PDX flight to compete with DL, usually PDX-NRT flights cost more than SEA-NRT, competition could be a good thing for consumers. But I see DEN before PDX.
Next Flights: PDX-HNL-OGG-LIH-PDX On AS, WP & HA

BMI727

Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:06 am

Quoting AeroBlogger (Reply 7):
It just seems as though flying out of SFO would be more convenient for the vast majority of pax...

They don't need the vast majority, just around 260 or so per day. They shouldn't have too much trouble finding that many people going to Asia from the South Bay area and Silicon Valley. The biggest competition will likely be nonstops to China and Southeast Asia from SFO, but getting there from the South Bay area isn't exactly a picnic. I think that one key is that ANA should time the flights for connections to the rest of Asia rather than focusing on just O&D.

warden145

Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:09 am

Quoting AeroBlogger (Reply 7):
It just seems as though flying out of SFO would be more convenient for the vast majority of pax...

FWIW I know a considerable number of high-end business travelers who would happily choose SJC over SFO if the choice is available, even if SFO's the closer airport. I'm guessing that that's what this service is directed at...we'll see if there are enough people like that to fill a 787.

Anyone have any idea whether the flight will be daily, or how many times weekly?
ETOPS = Engine Turns Off, Passengers Swim

aeroblogger

Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:13 am

Quoting warden145 (Reply 10):

Anyone have any idea whether the flight will be daily, or how many times weekly?

Didn't say in the official press release from ANA. To be honest, the press release didn't really say much about anything...

AA737-823

Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:18 am

SEA?!?! HOORAAAAAY!
Being ANC based, that makes Tokyo just one stop on a NICE Star carrier (compared to UA's rather mediocre offering) for us!

aklrno

Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:40 am

Yeah, I guess that's true. It just seems as though flying out of SFO would be more convenient for the vast majority of pax...

Most people who live elsewhere don't realize that more people live in San Jose than San Francisco. Add in Cupertino, Mountain View, Los Altos, Los Gatos and Palo Alto and you have a lot of wealthy tech people who would rather go to a smaller much more convenient airport. As for connections, SJC is well connected to the western US via WN and far less subject to flights delayed by weather. I would much rather connect to Asia via SJC than SFO. In fact, I won't connect to ANYWHERE via SFO.

slcdeltarumd11

Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:59 am

I think San Jose has a chance. I bet it has a pretty low risk of loosing too much money since the o&d is so high in the area to Japan and the area with connections. Probably worthe gamble

Quoting redrooster3 (Reply 1):
This is great news!!!!!!! Who's next? DEN, SAN?

Its looking less and less likely that DEN can pull in ANA IMHO. Its not like they havn't been trying for years and already spent tons of money on trips to Japan to try to get the service. It just doesn't seem like ANA wants to bight on their offers? DEN has been offering incentives and begging ANA for years and they don't seem interested. United seems to have zero interest in DEN internationally unfortunitely so i don't see them looking to encourage ANA but they should IMHO to differentiate the product from southwest and frontier.

ual747den

Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:48 am

Quoting slcdeltarumd11 (Reply 14):
Its looking less and less likely that DEN can pull in ANA IMHO. Its not like they havn't been trying for years and already spent tons of money on trips to Japan to try to get the service. It just doesn't seem like ANA wants to bight on their offers? DEN has been offering incentives and begging ANA for years and they don't seem interested. United seems to have zero interest in DEN internationally unfortunitely so i don't see them looking to encourage ANA but they should IMHO to differentiate the product from southwest and frontier.

I just decided to take a look really quick at Anet while I was replying to some emails from over night before I fly into work and I can say that this is a big surprise to those of us at UA who would usually know this kind of thing. The routes aren't a surprise, but the fact that DEN was not included today is a bit surprising.....

Take that FWIW
/// UNITED AIRLINES

tayser

Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:16 pm

MEL has no direct Japanese connections - QF via SYD, JQ via OOL/CNS, CX via HKG or SQ via SIN are the main options - and a 332-sized plane is the best size and it's about a 10-10.5 hour trip (theoretically allowing 1 plane = 1x daily service) on MEL-NRT/HND.

Stitch

Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:24 pm

Quoting Hamlet69 (Thread starter):
NH will launch new routes from Narita to Seattle...

Finally. We've heard rumors of it since NH ordered the 7E7 back in 2004.  
Quoting RWA380 (Reply 8):
Also, isn't this the first 787 route announced for SEA?
Hainan Airlines announced Beijing to Seattle service in August 2007. They intended to start with leased A330-200s and then switch to the 787 once the aircraft was delivered (originally in June 2008) and I expect the 787-8 will replace the A330-200 when it eventually arrives.

G500

Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:43 pm

FINALLY... I've been hoping San Jose would land an Asian carrier for several years. The flight should do great, spcecially a 787...

The 777 seemed too large for the San Jose market (ask American), but the 787 should fit like a glove at SJC

congrats San Jose

RayChuang

Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:01 pm

I'm surprised that NH didn't try to get route authority for a flight between SJC and HND, though getting back to central Tokyo from NRT is not as bad as it used to be, thanks to the JR Narita Express and Keisei Skyliner trains.

cslusarc

Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:32 pm

I am highly doubting that NH has a solid business case for using low density 788s configured with 46J/112Y. I really feel that NH will struggle filling its premium Business Class cabin as North American's are more reluctant to buy premium fares.
--cslusarc from YWG

aeroblogger

Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:08 pm

Quoting RayChuang (Reply 19):
I'm surprised that NH didn't try to get route authority for a flight between SJC and HND, though getting back to central Tokyo from NRT is not as bad as it used to be, thanks to the JR Narita Express and Keisei Skyliner trains.

I'm not. There is no way that they are going to be able to fill this plane on pax going directly to TYO. They will have to be including pax connecting to Asia. Therefore, it's a waste of a slot to use HND for SJC, when a lot of the pax won't benifit from the closeness to Tokyo anyway...

sxf24

Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:09 pm

Quoting cslusarc (Reply 20):
I am highly doubting that NH has a solid business case for using low density 788s configured with 46J/112Y. I really feel that NH will struggle filling its premium Business Class cabin as North American's are more reluctant to buy premium fares.

Business traffic, which there is a lot of between the US west coast and Japan, buys premium fares.

mogandoCI

Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:39 pm

congrats to ANA, but surprised they didn't use it to attempt to penetrate non-StarAlliance-strongholds like DFW or ATL or even make the first TPAC flight out of PHL.

bikerthai

Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:58 pm

Quoting AeroBlogger (Reply 21):
They will have to be including pax connecting to Asia.

There is a large Vietnamese community in San Jose area who could to the connection if ANA have connection to HCM.
They will have to compete with EVA or Asiana on pricing though.

Now, if Vietnam Airlines can do San Jose to HCM directly with their 787, then it's a no-brainier.

bikerthai
Intelligent seeks knowledge. Enlightened seeks wisdom.

aal151heavy

Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:24 pm

Here is the official press release from ANA:

http://www.ana.co.jp/eng/aboutana/press/2011/111221.html

Great news for SJC!

Ben
My airliners.net photos

Nimish

Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:31 pm

If I could dream - then a NRT-BLR connection would work very well with the SJC-NRT flight - I know employees from large tech companies in the bay (mostly south bay) would jump on using SJC instead of SFO.
Latest Trip Report - GoAir BLR-BOM-BLR

cslusarc

Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:44 pm

Quoting sxf24 (Reply 22):
Business traffic, which there is a lot of between the US west coast and Japan, buys premium fares.

True, but business traffic isn't returning to historic levels yet. Employers are becoming less likely to buy business and first class tickets because they no longer see value for money in premium cabin travel. If there was such a big demand for premium cabin travel, you'd expect to see more North American airlines increasing the number of premium cabin seats they offer in the transpacific market.
--cslusarc from YWG

Coronado990

Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:51 pm

Great news for SJC! Congratulations! It's good to see new international destinations from second tier California airports instead of the usual LAX and SFO offerings. Hopefully SAN is included in the next round when the new terminal expansion is completed in 2013. Plenty of 787 gates will be offered!
Uncle SAN at your service!

ERJ170

Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:05 pm

I like the idea of using the 787 for 2nd tier cities while keeping 777 and 747s for their major cities.. I wonder if there will be further expansion or if other airlines would be doing the same thing?
Aiming High and going far..

BoeingGuy

Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:51 pm

Granted AA couldn't make it work, but I think ANA has the right plane and the right route at the right time.
Quoting g500 (Reply 18):
The 777 seemed too large for the San Jose market (ask American), but the 787 should fit like a glove at SJC

AA couldn't make anything work at SJC. Note that AA dropped such routes as SJC-HNL, SJC-OGG, which AS and HA do very very well on. AA can't make lots of routes work that someone else steps in and does great on.

I've been on the old AA SJC-NRT flight several times and it was always full. From what I understood, at one time that flight did really well until AA decided to give up on SJC. So morale of the story is don't be surprised if NH does great on SJC-NRT just like AS does great on SJC-OGG after AA canned it.

In fact, one of my colleages was flying SEA-SJC-TPE for the short six months that AA did SJC-TPE. He said it was completely full in one direction, and he couldn't even get on it in the the direction because it was already overbooked. The market could be there at SJC for a better managed airline. I mean the Santa Clara valley itself has what, 1.5 Million people and numerous companies.

I was hoping that SJC-NRT would be resumed by an airline with ties to AS, but NH is a good airline.

laca773

Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:53 pm

Quoting RWA380 (Reply 8):

Also, isn't this the first 787 route announced for SEA? way to bring the birds home every so often, I know dedicated flyers in PDX that are used to taking UAX to SEA to catch a UA non-stop to NRT, not sure if they still fly this route, but those passengers will also love the 787 vs the 747 and 777 used in the past on UA. Again, congrats NH.

It will be very interesting to see what UA does when NH starts the service. Most of us know NH has a much better in flight product over UA.

Quoting aklrno (Reply 13):

Most people who live elsewhere don't realize that more people live in San Jose than San Francisco. Add in Cupertino, Mountain View, Los Altos, Los Gatos and Palo Alto and you have a lot of wealthy tech people who would rather go to a smaller much more convenient airport. As for connections, SJC is well connected to the western US via WN and far less subject to flights delayed by weather. I would much rather connect to Asia via SJC than SFO. In fact, I won't connect to ANYWHERE via SFO.

!

Congratulations to both NH & SJC! I'm hopeful this flight will do very very well. Thanks NH for giving SJC a chance.

Quoting g500 (Reply 18):
FINALLY... I've been hoping San Jose would land an Asian carrier for several years. The flight should do great, spcecially a 787...

congrats San Jose

AA's SJC-NRT flight did just fine for many years. AA didn't want the SJC service anymore. They needed the slot for a LAX nonstop.

Quoting cslusarc (Reply 20):

I don't think they will struggle at all. There are many Silicon Valley executives who will gladly fly NH SJC-NRT in J over having to drive up and fly from delay prone SFO.

GRUIAD

Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:08 pm

Quoting laca773 (Reply 31):
It will be very interesting to see what UA does when NH starts the service. Most of us know NH has a much better in flight product over UA.

Yes this makes me wonder if actually an agreement between NH and UA has been reached whereby NH takes over the SEA-NRT route. UA's segment fares on SEA-NRT are much lower than those commanded by DL.

mogandoCI

Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:15 pm

Aren't they JV over the Pacific ?

roseflyer

Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:19 pm

Quoting GRUIAD (Reply 32):

Yes this makes me wonder if actually an agreement between NH and UA has been reached whereby NH takes over the SEA-NRT route. UA's segment fares on SEA-NRT are much lower than those commanded by DL.

With the Joint Venture now in place between ANA and UA, this is now legal. I assume that UA will end up cutting SEA-NRT service. It's their worst performing service to NRT based on loads, however the yields are better than LAX-NRT. SEA-NRT is the highest O/D international route out of SEA (other than YVR), so there is room for two carriers on the route.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

GRUIAD

Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:21 pm

Quoting mogandoCI (Reply 33):
Aren't they JV over the Pacific ?

Yes this decision would be made within the JV structure.

kiwiandrew

Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:00 pm

Quoting Hamlet69 (Reply 4):
Kiwiandrew,

Yes, sorry. Should have been more specific. It is indeed NRT-SEA and NRT-SJC. Thanks for posting the link. I'm on my phone and was having a bloody hard time getting it to copy the URL.

No need for apologies! It is very interesting news, thanks for starting the thread. It's just as a former travel agent I have enough nightmare stories of people getting the two mixed up to last me a lifetime. I can't even hear the old classic "Do you know the way to San José?" without automatically saying to myself "Of course I do, but which one do you want?"  

BoeingGuy

Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:10 pm

Quoting kiwiandrew (Reply 36):
"Do you know the way to San José?" without automatically saying to myself "Of course I do, but which one do you want?"

Slightly off topic, but I remember being at DFW and seeing AA flights from adjacent gates loading for SJC and SJO (surprised they didn't have the SJD one too). SJC said "San Jose" on the departure board. SJO just said "Costa Rica". Maybe it was intentional to dispatch them from adjacent gates so they could make sure everyone got on the correct plane.

Then there were the honeymooners who thought they were booking a trip to go see Kangaroos, and the Opera House. They spent two weeks in Sydney, Nova Scotia.

boilerla

Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:33 pm

Quoting UAL747DEN (Reply 15):
I just decided to take a look really quick at Anet while I was replying to some emails from over night before I fly into work and I can say that this is a big surprise to those of us at UA who would usually know this kind of thing. The routes aren't a surprise, but the fact that DEN was not included today is a bit surprising.....

Yeah I'd take this as a swift kick to the crotch if I were UA. UA has all but given up on SJC; it's got no mainline on PMUA routes (which is just LAX & DEN, all RJ, AFAIK). Not only will it cut into UA's routes at SFO, but DEN would have made more sense for the JV.

But I can see why ANA wants SJC--there's a lot of high tech $$ to be had. Plus I wouldn't be surprised if SJC is subisidizing the marketing or something. SJC was practically begging for this route.

ADent

Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:36 pm

Quoting slcdeltarumd11 (Reply 14):
Its looking less and less likely that DEN can pull in ANA IMHO.

I won't count DEN out yet. I figure ANA is going to be gun shy on announcing routes since the 787 keeps taking delays ( see http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...20/uk-boeing-idUSLNE7BJ01120111220 for yesterdays delay). I presume SJC is a higher priority then DEN.

I would think they may want to get a few long range flights under their belts before stretching to Denver - but NRT-DEN is shorter than NRT-FRA.

nutsaboutplanes

Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:56 pm

Quoting RoseFlyer (Reply 34):
With the Joint Venture now in place between ANA and UA, this is now legal. I assume that UA will end up cutting SEA-NRT service. It's their worst performing service to NRT based on loads, however the yields are better than LAX-NRT. SEA-NRT is the highest O/D international route out of SEA (other than YVR), so there is room for two carriers on the route.

You beat me to this. I would say that it is almost a given that UA will end SEA-NRT especially with the SEA gate shuffle.....not having a T7 in Seattle will make for a much more realistic gating plan on A.
American Airlines, US Airways, Alaska Airlines, Northwest Airlines, America West Airlines, USAFR

mikesairways

Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:06 pm

Quoting boilerla (Reply 38):
SJC; it's got no mainline on PMUA routes (which is just LAX & DEN, all RJ, AFAIK).

There are still a mix of Airbii and 757's SJC-DEN as well as a RJ or two.
The red zone is for the immediate loading and unloading of passengers only, there is no stopping in the white zone...(Ai

mikesairways

Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:10 pm

This is awesome news for SJC and it couldn't have come a at a better time. New flights are being added (HA to OGG and AS to HNL). Maybe some of the other flights (UA to ORD); (more AA to ORD albeit doubtful) will start to slowly start coming back. The mayor and city leaders worked very hard to get this flight and i'm glad someone is going to take a chance on it. I'm very excited about this.
The red zone is for the immediate loading and unloading of passengers only, there is no stopping in the white zone...(Ai

tommy767

Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:13 pm

Considering AA flew SJC-NRT through 2006 or 2007, this is a great thing that ANA is coming in

Quoting boilerla (Reply 38):
Yeah I'd take this as a swift kick to the crotch if I were UA. UA has all but given up on SJC; it's got no mainline on PMUA routes (which is just LAX & DEN, all RJ, AFAIK). Not only will it cut into UA's routes at SFO, but DEN would have made more sense for the JV.

ORD still sees UA 757s. I think they do well at SJC. The FF base for UA in teh bay area is massive. OAK got kind of screwed though.
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

mikesairways

Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:16 pm

Quoting TOMMY767 (Reply 43):
ORD still sees UA 757s

SJC-ORD stopped in 2008 (or 2009). It may be 757 ORD-DEN-SJC; depending on day of the week, etc.

gunsontheroof

Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:46 pm

Really surprised to see this one so soon--I thought NGO-SEA might be in the pipeline for NH, but I guess we might be seeing the end of UA long-haul at SEA sooner than expected. NRT-SJC isn't terribly surprising...perfect 787 route, total lack of competition, etc. Congrats to NH, SEA and SJC. Maybe I'll try and hop on this one...

mogandoCI

Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:10 pm

Quoting Gunsontheroof (Reply 45):

Really surprised to see this one so soon--I thought NGO-SEA might be in the pipeline for NH, but I guess we might be seeing the end of UA long-haul at SEA sooner than expected. NRT-SJC isn't terribly surprising...perfect 787 route, total lack of competition, etc. Congrats to NH, SEA and SJC. Maybe I'll try and hop on this one...

Wouldn't NGO-SFO arrive before NGO-SEA ? Same for KIX-LAX.

AADC10

Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:11 pm

Probably nothing. UA and NH both have service to NRT from several locations, including SFO, ORD and LAX. Perhaps it will keep UA on a single daily flight SFO-NRT the entire year but I doubt it.

gunsontheroof

Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:26 pm

Quoting mogandoCI (Reply 46):
Wouldn't NGO-SFO arrive before NGO-SEA ? Same for KIX-LAX.

Quite possibly--I was only talking about NGO with respect to what I thought the prospects of NH service to SEA would be. Boeing-Mitsubishi pax on this route would probably help make it a winner, but it looks like NH is making a move to be *A's carrier on Seattle-Japan. I suspect we might see routes like SFO-NGO, SEA-NGO and others soon--they're going to have too many 787s to play with for them not to take a crack at these...

slcdeltarumd11

Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:58 pm

It will be interesting to see if we hear UA leave SEA-NRT soon? They have run this route for along time but maybe the 787 is the right plane for the mission?