SHUPirate1
Topic Author

How Was "City Pair Combinations" Statistically Calculated?

Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:50 am

OK...so I'm dating myself a bit here, but going back about, oh, 15 years, American Airlines listed something called "city pair combinations" in their hub profiles, for example, http://web.archive.org/web/199610280...r.com/aa_home/servinfo/hubprof.htm

My question is, if anybody has any idea, how was this "city pair combinations" statistic calculated? Presumably it was based on connecting times and deviation from straightline routing, but does anybody have any idea how that was calculated?

Thanks!
Burma's constitutional referendum options: A. Yes, B. Go to Insein Prison!

LAXintl

Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:58 am

Actually sounds pretty straight forward. Its simply math distribution model number of how many spokes(nodes) the hub has multiplied to give to total number of potential connection possibilitiies. For example a 20 spoke hub has 380 theoretic connection potentials.

Airlines will often utilize such marketing sound bites in things like DOT route applications regardless of the unlikeliness that many such markets would really never connect in real life (eg. BOS-LGA via ORD hub), or that some connections might have terrible timings especially for those nodes with low frequency service.

[Edited 2011-12-22 01:04:04]
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

SHUPirate1
Topic Author

Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:37 am

That's my question though...are they doing it that way? I couldn't quite get the numbers to work out that way for any of those four examples I gave (based on other data listed, and in the case of San Juan, not even close), and I have a feeling it's because they didn't, for instance, figure in LHR-ORD-ORY, just to give an example. (I believe that was before AA moved kicking and screaming over to CDG, and also, I'm not even sure they flew ORD-Paris at the time, but just one example of a route combination they probably didn't count)

SHUPirate1
Topic Author

Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:05 pm

Anybody? Help? Bueller?

I'm stumped.

mogandoCI

Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:11 pm

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 1):
Actually sounds pretty straight forward. Its simply math distribution model number of how many spokes(nodes) the hub has multiplied to give to total number of potential connection possibilitiies. For example a 20 spoke hub has 380 theoretic connection potentials.

Do they count EVERY combination or just logical combinations? SFO-ORD-LAX doesn't sound like a "city pair combo" to me....

Flighty

Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:23 pm

Not every city pair is realistically served. Most likely, it is around 25% of the total (because there are a number of small stations going with infrequent schedule to 1 hub, for an example.) So, with 200 spokes, you might claim 10,000 city pairs instead of 40,000. Including limitations on triple connect, layovers greater than 4 hours etc.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos