aadfw
Topic Author

AA Mainline Jets Return To DFW-DSM

Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:13 pm

AA upgraded two daily departures from DFW to DSM with S80 equipment effective Jan. 31, 12. DFW-LIT has also been upgraded to all S80's.

jfklganyc

RE: AA Mainline Jets Return To DFW-DSM

Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:23 pm

Eagle fleet shuffling to cover ATR flying I would imagine.

AA has to fill in somewhere

seatback

Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:27 pm

I'm hoping for DFW-CVG!

Super80DFW

Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:31 pm

Quoting seatback (Reply 2):
I'm hoping for DFW-CVG!

As was I, however CVG still shows all ERJ equipment after the schedule change. Truly blows my mind. I for one was also hoping DFW GSO would return to mainline, but GSO remains all Eagle as well.
"Things change, friends leave, life doesn't stop for anybody." -- EAT'EM UP EAT'EM UP KSU!!

joeljack

Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:32 pm

Looks like DSM-DFW is going from 6x daily ER4 to 3x ER4 and 2xMD80 for a net gain of 122 seats each way per day. (300 seats to 422 seats per day)

evanbu

Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:46 pm

Good news indeed. What needs to happen next is that UA needs to upgrade IAH-DSM to a 73G. That morning flight out of DSM is always full.

deltaffindfw

Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:59 pm

I'm hoping for DFW-CVG!

You know, I'm in two minds with that one. CVG is the only city I fly to for work that isn't mainline from DFW. BUT, I really like that they have 6-7 flights/day. If they would do a mix or ERJ/MD80, then it might be ok. But, if they do like PIT and go down to 3 MD80s daily, it would be a hassle.

aadfw
Topic Author

Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:03 pm

130 days extra per day is a lot of additional capacity!

aadfw
Topic Author

Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:07 pm

that was 130 extra seats a day

Super80DFW

Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:14 pm

Quoting deltaffindfw (Reply 6):
But, if they do like PIT and go down to 3 MD80s daily, it would be a hassle.

DFW PIT is now 4x S80, and personally I think 4x offers flexible enough frequency, but certainly not as much as 6-7x.
"Things change, friends leave, life doesn't stop for anybody." -- EAT'EM UP EAT'EM UP KSU!!

deltairlines

Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:20 pm

There will be more capacity announced to DSM later this week as well.

joeljack

Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:22 pm

Quoting DeltAirlines (Reply 10):

Ahhh....I think you gave it away! I would "guess" US to DCA/CLT/PHL...I would guess 2 of those 3....sweet!!

stlgph

Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:35 pm

has UA cut back on seats out of Des Moines? they used to offer a mix of mainline flights in and out of there, including the 757 ... I haven't been following the schedules the last few years (I lived there '07/'08) -- so if someone is in the know, chirp up!

more Frontier?
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

deltairlines

Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:33 pm

Quoting joeljack (Reply 11):

Ahhh....I think you gave it away! I would "guess" US to DCA/CLT/PHL...I would guess 2 of those 3....sweet!!
Quoting stlgph (Reply 12):
more Frontier?

Possibly to both.

Note I said capacity though, not necessarily routes. Could be something as simple as another aircraft upgauge from an RJ to mainline.

evanbu

Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:08 pm

Quoting DeltAirlines (Reply 13):

Please more IAH and EWR.....

dbo861

Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:41 pm

This is pretty exciting. Frontier is upgrading to A319s on the two daily DSM-DEN flights beginning Jan 4. According to Delta.com the daily MD80 to ATL is returning this summer. In the last year we've gone from only 2 airlines offering mainline service to DSM (United and Allegiant) to 6 in 2012 (United, Allegiant, Frontier, Airtran, American and Delta).

Quoting stlgph (Reply 12):
has UA cut back on seats out of Des Moines? they used to offer a mix of mainline flights in and out of there, including the 757 ... I haven't been following the schedules the last few years (I lived there '07/'08) -- so if someone is in the know, chirp up!

They still offer a mix of A320/319s with several daily RJs to both ORD and DEN.

evanbu

Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:54 pm

Quoting dbo861 (Reply 15):

Is DSM the largest non-hub market for G4? It's weird to see G4 metal with other mainline metal.

joeljack

Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:58 pm

Quoting dbo861 (Reply 15):
According to Delta.com the daily MD80 to ATL is returning this summer.

It's actually 2xMD80 this summer and 1xCR7.

dbo861

Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:01 pm

Quoting evanbu (Reply 16):
Is DSM the largest non-hub market for G4? It's weird to see G4 metal with other mainline metal.

I have no idea about the answer to your question, but after DL and AA bring back mainline to DSM, US will be the only airline at DSM not offering some mainline service. Maybe they'll join the bandwagon and upgrade one of the PHX flights to an A319 (wishful thinking, I know).

dsuairptman

Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:45 pm

Here's to hoping the the S80 get the GPT route!
GEAUX SAINTS!

planespotting

Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:57 pm

Quoting evanbu (Reply 14):
Please more IAH and EWR.....

My company really wants the DSM-EWR nonstop to work. Apparently the Sunday/Friday flights are always full, but during the week its more of a mixed bag (however, this is purely anecdotal, but heard from guys who fly it often).

I think at some point UA will most likely cut one (or all?) mainline a/c from DEN and transition capacity to IAH at, since it's the larger hub.

Also - when was the last time AA flew mainline into DSM? Was it with the Fokkers and just to ORD, or was DFW part of that as well?

[Edited 2011-12-27 14:24:36]
Do you like movies about gladiators?

flyguy89

Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:47 am

I'm hoping for DFW-CVG!

Keep an eye out for it! AA mainline at CVG isn't really feasible at the moment with the very cramped situation in T2, but when the renovated concourse A opens up, there's probably a much greater chance of mainline additions...so fingers crossed!

AA7771stClass

Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:37 am

Don't have a date or year for you "planespotting" but I know they used to run MD80's to DSM out of DFW; the last time I went up there had to be 6-7+ years ago though.

stlgph

Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:49 am

AA used to run the F100's out of Des Moines to Dallas/Ft Worth, too.

mhkansan

Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:04 am

The trend of replacing MQ service with AA service is, in my humble MQ employee opinion, a great thing. Sure they need some additional lift while they find replacements for the AT7s, but ERJs are frankly better used in markets like MHK where I work. I know, with all the oversales we just dealt with in the weeks leading up to Thanksgiving and Christmas, and the very very steady bookings we're getting far out into January already, that we can use additional flights to DFW and other cities are experiencing the same phenomenon. Eagle's foray into smaller markets is paying off and they're competitive pricing with nearby larger airports is getting them a heap of customer loyalty in these markets. Lots of pax here at MHK are connecting through to Europe and South America, and all of these high yielding customers would have driven to MCI had the MQ service not existed.

This, IMHO, is a great strategy. Instead of using RJs to fuel a super high frequency hub, lets use them in regional markets and have four or five well-timed banks of mainline and regional flights at hubs. Send those RJs to smaller markets with limited competition and let the name be known that AA cares about these small markets. They ought too because I know we can be profitable for them.

Also, probably not a good idea to have CRJs on ORD-LGA, just thinking out loud. I know I'd love to put some people in F to ORD. Really really love to. I love this job and I love treating my EPs and PLs to an exit row or something better than normal, but seriously.

Congrats to DSM on the mainline. They've joined CLE and MKE now as the Rj to mainline conversions!

9w748capt

Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:42 am

Quoting mhkansan (Reply 24):
MKE now as the Rj to mainline conversions!

Sadly, MKE-DFW was cut back to all RJ flying not too long ago. And AFAIK AA's loads were very good - just the F cabin wasn't consistently full. Was a definite upgrade over the ERJ - and every time I flew it the loads were great!

seatback

Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:23 pm

Quoting flyguy89 (Reply 21):
Keep an eye out for it! AA mainline at CVG isn't really feasible at the moment with the very cramped situation in T2, but when the renovated concourse A opens up, there's probably a much greater chance of mainline additions...so fingers crossed!

I hope you're right. But I'm not sure the terminal is what is keeping them back. Afterall, AA has operated M80/F100 flights from the terminal before and United currently operates the A320.

With the move to the new terminal, there will be plenty of room...which will be nice.

That said, I'll miss that terrible terminal, it's so convenient.

flyguy89

Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:28 pm

Quoting seatback (Reply 26):
Quoting flyguy89 (Reply 21):

I hope you're right. But I'm not sure the terminal is what is keeping them back. Afterall, AA has operated M80/F100 flights from the terminal before and United currently operates the A320.

I'm sure it plays a factor, I mean CVG has to be one of AA's largest all-Eagle outstations with ~16 daily flights to DFW, ORD, JFK, and MIA, so I'm sure it's something they'll at least be giving serious consideration, we'll see in the Spring I guess.

stlgph

Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:47 pm

Speaking of Des Moines, as mentioned, I lived there in 07 and 08 and then moved out east ... haven't been there for a while but what's the gate situation like these days? Basically - what airline is using what? Does Allegiant still have their own gate or are they pretty much using whatever's available at the time?

planespotting

Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:06 pm

Quoting stlgph (Reply 28):
Does Allegiant still have their own gate or are they pretty much using whatever's available at the time?

Allegiant gates in the same concourse as United (at the far end). Delta, American and U.S. are still in the opposite concourse, and I think Continental will obviously move down to the same end as United (if it hasn't already). Last time I was there was the end of October.

joeljack

Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:27 pm

I don't think it's an issue at this point. In fact, it's probably less crowded then it was several years ago with all the airline mergers. Remember Midwest Express, Northwest, TWA, US Air Express (to MCI), ATA (to MDW), and soon Continental don't exist anymore. All of these airlines have folded or merged and use much less gate space than before.

AA-2 gates
UA/CO-3 gates
Allegiant-1 gate (They use a UA gate)
Delta-3 gates
Airtran-2 flight per day...don't know where these go from.

That leaves three open gates...for who...southwest maybe?????

Remember too there are only 11 gates but parking spots for 20 planes because most gates have stripes for 2 or 3 planes if they are RJ's. With additional mainline planes, you can only park one plane per gate but there really is no more than 10 mainline flights per day all combined so it isn't an issue. My guess is passenger counts could double at the current terminal and still be ok space wise. If it did get that full, may have to switch to 100% common use gates though.

Regarding security...it's a joke, never a line. When there is 30 people in line, it seems to take twice as long as other airports to process that 30 people. I have watched it for years and compared it to OMA and never could quit figure out why it takes so long per lane. I guess people in Iowa are just slow to catch on!   (I can say that because I live here).

evanbu

Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:34 pm

Quoting joeljack (Reply 30):

I find it interesting that Eagle still handles ground for CO at DSM...

2X IAH (sometimes 1X)
1X EWR

CO seriously needs to add another IAH flight (or two) and possibly a mid day EWR.

stlgph

Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:51 pm

Quoting joeljack (Reply 30):

I would say it's even more crowded now.

Midwest Express, Delta Connection, United, and Allegiant would use the 4 (and a half) gates in the A.

Northwest, Continental, American Eagle, US Airways would go out of C.

now with all the mergers and the arrival of Frontier and AirTran in the mix ... I would just think there's some ground crew shuffling at times to get planes out of the gates.

phllax

Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:51 pm

There's 4 parking positions for A5 - which is where Midwest, DLC (pre-merger) operated out of and is now not used. United uses A2&4 during the day, and A1 for RON at times when they can. Otherwise it's AirTran and Allegiant on A1 and A3.

Delta uses C1-3, and they're pretty active throughout the day. US is at C4 with 2-3 flights per day, C5 is Frontier with 2-3 flights per day, C6-7 are heavily used by AA, with CO on C7 also (sure to go to A soon).

So there is room at C4 and C5 if F9 and US don't increase. They could also could possibly put a short jetway in at A5 without blocking ramp access to A2 & 4

evanbu

Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:35 pm

Quoting phllax (Reply 33):

Clear out the end of C if WN comes to town, excuse me, WHEN WN comes to town...

CIDFlyer

Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:57 pm

Interesting with all the recent mainline upgrades at DSM. Is this the start of something in the industry as a whole? Or are the airlines jockeying for position in case WN comes to town? I'd love to see some mainline back in CID, UA and TWA used to have a ton of mainline, NW brought it here too. Heck Id even settle for some CR9's or ER70's. Everything seems to be CRJ/ERJ these days.

joeljack

Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:29 pm

Quoting CIDFlyer (Reply 35):
Interesting with all the recent mainline upgrades at DSM. Is this the start of something in the industry as a whole? Or are the airlines jockeying for position in case WN comes to town? I'd love to see some mainline back in CID, UA and TWA used to have a ton of mainline, NW brought it here too. Heck Id even settle for some CR9's or ER70's. Everything seems to be CRJ/ERJ these days.

Gosh I really hope so!! I'm a loyal UA flyer but with CO merger, those ERJ's are EVERYWHERE!! I refuse to fly them unless I must. There is a place for the 50 seaters and it's not to markets like DSM, MCI or OMA. It's to places like MLI and CID and LNK etc. If UA/CO doesn't figure out their scope soon and allow UA to rid themselves of the 50 seats and replace them with E-175's and CR9's like Delta did, I'm going to be switching my loyalty to DL. 50 seater with no Economy Plus or First Class vs E175 and CR9's with First and soon to be Economy plus on DL...hmmm tough choice?? I think not.

2012 Loyalty UA Still....2013 Loyalty...up for grabs...it's UA's to loose. Many of my colleagues feel the same way too.

FIX the 50-seater problem and pilot scope clause!!!! ....and to answer your question, yes planes will get bigger if this happens.

planespotting

Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:13 pm

Has this been announced yet?